First off let me say I'm extremely happy that this section is here, I came looking for BBM on Windows but didn't expect to find it on CrackBerry so thank you!

It was once hinted over at Windows Central that BBM for Windows 8.1 would work on Window 10 phones but no-one said how that could be achieved. I posted there asking if anyone had any idea but the phone section there seems to be extremely quite these days and I've yet to get a reply. Does anyone here have any idea how to install BBM on a W10 device? (Alcatel Idol 4s W10).

I have some experience with autoloaders if that's the answer but I am by no means an expert so lay-man's language would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    09-27-17 06:49 AM
    As far as I am aware, the Windows Phone version of BBM is not compatible with W10. There may be a "hack" out there to get it to work, but I wouldn't know where to point you for that info.

I vaguely recall hearing about people who had BBM installed on a phone running 8.1 and after upgrading the OS from 8.1 to 10 they were still able to use BBM.
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    09-27-17 02:39 PM
    As far as I am aware, the Windows Phone version of BBM is not compatible with W10. There may be a "hack" out there to get it to work, but I wouldn't know where to point you for that info.

I vaguely recall hearing about people who had BBM installed on a phone running 8.1 and after upgrading the OS from 8.1 to 10 they were still able to use BBM.
    Thanks, NF. Thought that might be the case but had to ask. I'm one of the rare few who still really enjoys the old school BBM.
    09-27-17 03:35 PM
    Thanks, NF. Thought that might be the case but had to ask. I'm one of the rare few who still really enjoys the old school BBM.
    Glad to help.

The only reason I know this is because I used a Lumia 950 for a time and couldn't get BBM to work on it, but it worked fine on my Lumia 822 (running 8.1).

And I was actually quite pleased with the look and features of BBM for Windows Phone. It's a shame BlackBerry abandoned development of it.

But we should be used to BB abandoning their products by now. My very first BlackBerry device ever? It was a PlayBook.
    09-27-17 03:39 PM
    BBM worked fine on Windows 10, the problem is the app was eventually pulled (even though BlackBerry still mentions it as a supported platform from time to time)

https://www.windowscentral.com/bbm-w...-windows-store
    09-27-17 11:54 PM
    BBM worked fine on Windows 10, the problem is the app was eventually pulled (even though BlackBerry still mentions it as a supported platform from time to time)

https://www.windowscentral.com/bbm-w...-windows-store
    I'm just wondering if there's a stand alone file, like an Android APK, I could install onto W10, and if so, how do I find it?
    09-29-17 06:46 AM
    I just formatted my Lumia 640 DS and guess what I got BBM on its own installed and it's working fine....
    09-29-17 08:16 AM
    I'm just wondering if there's a stand alone file, like an Android APK, I could install onto W10, and if so, how do I find it?
    Windows Phone/Mobile does allow sideloading apps, I'm not sure if there's a way to get the file though. The Windows Store website used to let you download xap/appx packages directly from a listing incase you wanted to sideload it but I can't find the link anymore. I think they may have removed that feature.
    10-02-17 03:46 PM
    Windows Phone/Mobile does allow sideloading apps, I'm not sure if there's a way to get the file though. The Windows Store website used to let you download xap/appx packages directly from a listing incase you wanted to sideload it but I can't find the link anymore. I think they may have removed that feature.
    I just found a BBM xap file about the same time I was alerted about your message. Apparently I drag it to the SD card and manually install from there. The file is called BBM-2.1.0.16-Appx4Fun.com.xap Not sure how safe this is so am going to dig a little deeper and see what I can find out.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-17 03:56 PM
    Well I think I've figured out how to do it. The xap file that I have is apparently sound but Windows10 uses appx files and there is no easy way to convert xap files to the appx format without using Micosoft Visual Studio 2013 or up. Will try this at work tomorrow as I don't have MVS here.

This isn't so much about having BBM on a W10 device anymore but has become more about figuring it out.
    10-02-17 05:00 PM
    Well I think I've figured out how to do it. The xap file that I have is apparently sound but Windows10 uses appx files and there is no easy way to convert xap files to the appx format without using Micosoft Visual Studio 2013 or up. Will try this at work tomorrow as I don't have MVS here.

This isn't so much about having BBM on a W10 device anymore but has become more about figuring it out.
    Assuming you trust the site you got the xap from, have you tried this? Unless recent updates have also removed it, XAP files should still install on W10 via the Application Deployment tool.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn632395.aspx

Edit:

10-02-17 06:10 PM
    Well, I'm pretty sure development was killed because Microsoft was pushing universal apps, making it available on the desktop as well.

BlackBerry didn't want that (for some reason) so it was killed.

Also the miniscule userbase on Windows 8
    10-03-17 01:32 AM
    Assuming you trust the site you got the xap from, have you tried this? Unless recent updates have also removed it, XAP files should still install on W10 via the Application Deployment tool.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn632395.aspx

Edit:

Thanks for the posts, I have tried both methods and neither work these days. I was informed by Microsoft yesterday that .xap files will no longer work on W10 and need to be converted to .appx (UWA). The only way I can find to do this is through Silverlight Bridge which in turn runs through MVS. Trying it out later, will update how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-17 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the posts, I have tried both methods and neither work these days. I was informed by Microsoft yesterday that .xap files will no longer work on W10 and need to be converted to .appx (UWA). The only way I can find to do this is through Silverlight Bridge which in turn runs through MVS. Trying it out later, will update how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    Try formatting your device may b u will get BBM... I got it doing same on my L640 DS on W10

Q10 ™ | SQN 100-3 |
    10-03-17 12:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Strange, I think I remember reading that recent versions of Windows 10 Mobile have removed WP7 app compatibility but BBM was a WP8 app (unless they ended up removing both). I believe the bridge is only for developers and requires source code access. The best you can do in that case is reach out to BBM/Emtek and see if they have plans to release an appx for WP 8.1 or 10.

Try formatting your device may b u will get BBM... I got it doing same on my L640 DS on W10

Q10 ™ | SQN 100-3 |
    The Alcatel Idol 4s never shipped with Windows Phone 8.x so that won't work unfortunately.
    10-03-17 02:50 PM
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've basically given up on this. Although I have MSVS at work it's the 2017 version and for some reason Silverlight Bridge will only work on the 2013 or 2015 versions. IT have offered to retro me back to 2015 temporarily but I really can't be arsed TBPH.

Anyhow, was fun while it lasted.

Cheers
    10-10-17 08:01 AM