09-21-11 12:19 PM
85 1234
tools
    If RIM was smart, they would allow an opt in on BIS, for say an extra 1.99. Probably be easier to market, automatically thrown into any social type data plan, or add it for the social (mini-BIS) pay as you go customers. The carrier could also add it for a small fee (who cares where it goes really), I mean, they push enough crap that we never use, what is one more app?
    09-03-11 12:12 PM
    I'm way too cheap to pay 5$ a month just to share some songs. I'd like to see it included in Blackberry plans, so it adds value to owning a Blackberry and increase their sales. Then it doesn't seem as though you always owe something to RIM by having a BB. BBM is free, so why not the music aspect?
    09-04-11 02:25 AM
    I'm way too cheap to pay 5$ a month just to share some songs. I'd like to see it included in Blackberry plans, so it adds value to owning a Blackberry and increase their sales. Then it doesn't seem as though you always owe something to RIM by having a BB. BBM is free, so why not the music aspect?
    Huh? Music is not free, someone has to pay the royalties. Chat on the other hand is free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-11 03:35 AM
    After the one month trial, BB Music is going to cost $4.99 per month. Is it worth it to you? IMHO, it's not. You only get to choose 50 songs (I guess you get to swap 25 per month). Personally, I know my friends won't pay $4.99, so I won't have a whole lot of people to connect to, so it will lose it's social integration appeal and I won't have as many songs that way. I just can't see this app being good enough to justify the cost. If it were may $.99 or 1.99 and you could choose unlimited songs, maybe I would do it. Or, perhaps if there was a lite version that limited you to 50 songs, I would. Just my thoughts. What are your thoughts on the price? Yea or nay?
    You don't need your "friends" to sign up. You can add anyone in BBCM.

I have almost 4000 songs on my account and I probably know 7 users from my own BBM.
    09-08-11 09:57 PM
    I think since u can already swap songs for free as much as u want this wont go anywhere. One particular poll i saw showed 29% interested, 71% not interested. Thats 3-1 odds, not good.
    76 million subscribers x 29% x $4.99 = $109,979,600/month

I'd say those are pretty good odds.
    09-08-11 10:01 PM
    I think BBM Music is worth it. I've found songs I haven't heard of in a long time. I've gained knowledge of other bands/singers/rappers that expands my likeness of certain types of music. It gives me more ideas of music to download. Saves my SD card for pictures and movies since I'll never get bored of the songs I have especially with the swapping and with the 25 people I am currently sharing music with, I can't see this getting boring. I think it is definitely worth $4.99 a month just for the discovery of new music.
    09-09-11 07:43 AM
    I'd be MUCH more comfortable at 1.99 or 2.99 per month!
    Yeah, me, you and whole bunch of other people are going to be much more willing to pay $1.99 per month and many others are going to drop out when they have to start paying much more than that.
    09-11-11 07:21 PM
    Lemme throe that $5 on my carrier bill and maybe. If I gotta go thru extra steps then I'll just stick to dl'in music ..
    09-11-11 08:50 PM
    It's 1 meal at a fast food restaurant each month. I think I can squeeze it into my budget. $60 a year isn't much of a strain on my bank account.
    09-11-11 08:56 PM
    So, now that you've been playing around with the app for a couple weeks, what do you think? Will you keep it once your trial runs out? Will you pay $4.99?
    Nikeem24 likes this.
    09-14-11 03:21 PM
    So, now that you've been playing around with the app for a couple weeks, what do you think? Will you keep it once your trial runs out? Will you pay $4.99?
    Been having some fun with it, but once the fee comes in, I'm splittin'! The way I look at it, RIM wants to charge me $5 a month for a service that requires me to put in all the effort. I have to go out and connect with other users (and capped, at that), hope they have songs I like, hope they KEEP those songs and not swap them out, continuosly check the "home" page of the app and request others to connect with me. All for the privelage of having access to just a *sliver* of RIM's entire catalog.

You guys really want to pay for that?
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    09-14-11 06:24 PM
    In its current form, no. As the poster above me noted, we have to do the work of finding the contacts. You can't preview a contact's music list to know if they have music you like, or as stated in another thread, if they have even added any songs to their collection. Not worth it at this point.
    09-14-11 08:46 PM
    It's a social music app and I think the purpose is to create BBM groups (of friends) like we already do now to expand our libraries.

So people starting groups like "Old school R&B fans, add me" or "Heavy Metal lovers, add me" is what RIM is banking on.

I'm excited about this mainly because it's a different approach rather than "let me copy this idea and hope it succeeds".
    If the price stands it might be ok in the UK as that would bottom out at let's say 2 which is ok. Still. iTunes is still the better choice or Amazon MP3. The idea however is great!
    09-15-11 05:16 AM
    I went to download the bbm music app but it says I need a beta invitation, how do I get that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 09:52 AM
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I listen to music 24/7 and i'm sure there are some songs i'd like to snatch from other people. it's not so much the price I care about.. $5 is nothing. But w 5$/month subscription is where I was turned away. I'll probably get a trial if there is one. but unless they change the package weather it's a one time pay of 10$, unlimited service for $5/month or just free. Don't think I need it that bad. But, if i notice the app picking up popularity and people on MY BBM are paying, then I'd more so consider it. But it's dumb if i'm the only person on my bbm list of say 75-100 and i'm the only one with this app
    09-15-11 04:30 PM
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I listen to music 24/7 and i'm sure there are some songs i'd like to snatch from other people. it's not so much the price I care about.. $5 is nothing. But w 5$/month subscription is where I was turned away. I'll probably get a trial if there is one. but unless they change the package weather it's a one time pay of 10$, unlimited service for $5/month or just free. Don't think I need it that bad. But, if i notice the app picking up popularity and people on MY BBM are paying, then I'd more so consider it. But it's dumb if i'm the only person on my bbm list of say 75-100 and i'm the only one with this app
    Can't be sure how it'll all shake out once BBM Music goes live, but I just got my invite to the beta today, and I can already say I'll probably pay for the service. Just through people here on Crackberry, I already have access to 366 songs with more to be added soon (sent about 50 invites from the Who's on BBM Music thread).

Plus, the audio quality is much better than Pandora and Slacker. I'm listening to the Star Wars theme now, and the kettle drums are punchy, the horns are clear, and the quiet section are...quiet. Nicely done. And, I can cache everything so I can listen to it at work where I get a poor signal.

I was skeptical like you when I first read the Crackberry review, but now, I'm hooked.
    09-15-11 05:43 PM
    Can't be sure how it'll all shake out once BBM Music goes live, but I just got my invite to the beta today, and I can already say I'll probably pay for the service. Just through people here on Crackberry, I already have access to 366 songs with more to be added soon (sent about 50 invites from the Who's on BBM Music thread).

Plus, the audio quality is much better than Pandora and Slacker. I'm listening to the Star Wars theme now, and the kettle drums are punchy, the horns are clear, and the quiet section are...quiet. Nicely done. And, I can cache everything so I can listen to it at work where I get a poor signal.

I was skeptical like you when I first read the Crackberry review, but now, I'm hooked.
    366 songs? I'm now at over 4,500, and it's still not enough to justify the cost. Why? Spotify is coming soon. There are others already out. And it includes the ENTIRE catalog, and no working to get it. You pay, it's there.
    09-15-11 06:09 PM
    366 songs? I'm now at over 4,500, and it's still not enough to justify the cost. Why? Spotify is coming soon. There are others already out. And it includes the ENTIRE catalog, and no working to get it. You pay, it's there.
    It's only been 2 hours since I installed the app. My BBM Group invite hasn't even been accepted yet. Give it time.

The theoretical limit on songs is 7,000, assuming no duplication among your BBMM contacts, which is a BIG assumption. According to the official Beta forum, the limit of BBMM contacts is 140.

I'll be honest that I haven't tried Spotify, but for $5/ month, BBMM is worth it for me.
    09-15-11 06:17 PM
    I think you're missing the point a bit. BBM Music is more about the social aspect, not always having access to the entire catalog, than Spotify. I have Spotify and I like it, but I find myself listening to the same things I always listen to. With BBMM I find myself listening to, and enjoying, music that I wouldn't normally listen to. Thats what makes it so compelling.
    09-15-11 11:47 PM
    I think you're missing the point a bit. BBM Music is more about the social aspect, not always having access to the entire catalog, than Spotify. I have Spotify and I like it, but I find myself listening to the same things I always listen to. With BBMM I find myself listening to, and enjoying, music that I wouldn't normally listen to. Thats what makes it so compelling.
    Yeah, its the social aspect of it for which I am not willing to pay. I really just want the music and there are too many other ways that I can get that for free.
    09-16-11 09:13 AM
    Social aspect? Notice that most "contacts" you make will never be your friends. You most likely won't chat. MAYBE send a comment or two. Want to hear new music, listen to a new radio station. Go to a music forum and get suggestions. This whole thing just seems like such a rip. I don't know. I'm not just trying to be a hater, but I just really don't get it.

Social aspect? I don't see it.

09-16-11 09:18 AM
    I now have nearly 5000 songs available, good or bad, there is no alternative for $5 a month, all other services start at $10 and more, right now if I search for an artist I want there's always some of their songs in the 5000.

Question really is, what alternative to bbm music is out there for $5 monthly?

09-16-11 10:14 AM
    Social aspect? Notice that most "contacts" you make will never be your friends. You most likely won't chat. MAYBE send a comment or two. Want to hear new music, listen to a new radio station. Go to a music forum and get suggestions. This whole thing just seems like such a rip. I don't know. I'm not just trying to be a hater, but I just really don't get it.

Social aspect? I don't see it.

No one is saying you have to get it or like it. If you don't like it, don't use it. For me its worth $5 a month. I love that I'm hearing things I wouldn't hear normally. You may go to a new radio station for new music, but I hate radio. I hate the ads. Like I said before, I use Spotify too, but not for the same reason I use BBM Music.
    09-16-11 10:42 AM
    No, I get that it's worth it to some people. I honestly do. I, myself, don't "get it", but understand everyone is different. Heck, I'm usually in the minority anyway (I hate the new App World).
    09-16-11 11:00 AM
    5387 song and counting. Finding tons of songs I know and love, tons I didn't know but love, and tons I didn't know and don't care to love. Also my Music IQ has gone way up.

I love the concept and can't wait for it to be released to the general public.
    jesse_h likes this.
    09-16-11 08:12 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD