09-21-11 12:19 PM
85 1234
tools
    For people who have friends and like making friends. BB Music is pure Gold. And it's obvious why. For you people who aren't as social, I understand why you might not like it, and that's fine. Stick with your itunes collection. But for you to think that most people are just as antisocial as you is just plain ********. Sorry.
    I respect your opinion that BBM music is pure gold but to assume people who think otherwise are anti-social and ******** is a little over the top.

I happen to have over a hundred bbm contacts; some i have known over the years, others i have met via forums and blogs. It's safe to say i'm not anti-social yes??

I also happen to be part of the bbm music beta program and I would never pay for it stating the following reasons:

1. I already have a huge mp3 collection and have absolutely no problems getting the songs onto my phone via wifi sync or usb connection.

2. I can already share songs on my device with my contacts for free using bbm or simply emailing them the songs.

3. As others have alluded to, there are other providers that offer streamed music for free.

4. I listen primarily to Caribbean music and the bbm music library does not fulfill this need. It does have a few reggae titles but it's lame nonetheless and I already have most of the titles being offered. Me paying for the service would mean i'm paying for songs i already have either on my computer or on my phone.

5. Most importantly, i rarely listen to music on my phone so it doesn't really add value to me.

In conclusion, i love the concept of bbm music and i'm sure it will be a huge success once it's released but i personally will never pay for it but not because i'm anti-social like you are stating. It just doesn't work for me.

Side note: I might consider paying for it if you had the ability to upload songs to bbm music. Don't know the legal implications of RIM enabling sharing that way though
    08-27-11 09:57 PM
    It seems to me people are confused and to be honest so am i the people you can shatre son gs are prety much strangers? So you can have no bbm vcontacts as friends but 100's of bbm music contacts is this correct ? Kevin blaze or adam or someone can we get a fullout explaination on how this works please
    08-27-11 10:37 PM
    If that is the case i think alot of people have misunderstood the app.
    quick question what if i have bought all kinds of songs from my iphone or ipod and i loose it or it gets fried what happens to those songs are they prety much lost even though i bought them?
    i am guessing with this newe bbm music app if i loose my blackberry or it gets fried every is still saved thriugh my bbid right?
    08-27-11 10:44 PM
    It seems to me people are confused and to be honest so am i the people you can shatre son gs are prety much strangers? So you can have no bbm vcontacts as friends but 100's of bbm music contacts is this correct ? Kevin blaze or adam or someone can we get a fullout explaination on how this works please
    I believe so. Unfortunately none of my bbm contacts have bbm music and I haven't tried sharing with non-bbm contacts but I know for a fact you have the option to share songs with non-bbm contacts via pin, email or text message

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 10:48 PM
    It be great if were included in your BlackBerry data plan.
    "Get a BlackBerry - listen / share to 50 songs a month free!"
    Then if you wanted Unlimited music, then charge $5-10/month.
    Nikeem24 likes this.
    08-28-11 01:56 AM
    If that is the case i think alot of people have misunderstood the app.
    quick question what if i have bought all kinds of songs from my iphone or ipod and i loose it or it gets fried what happens to those songs are they prety much lost even though i bought them?
    i am guessing with this newe bbm music app if i loose my blackberry or it gets fried every is still saved thriugh my bbid right?
    I think it would be saved through your BBM/BB ID
    dadymon likes this.
    08-28-11 06:10 AM
    It be great if were included in your BlackBerry data plan.
    "Get a BlackBerry - listen / share to 50 songs a month free!"
    Then if you wanted Unlimited music, then charge $5-10/month.
    I can def see this happening, could be included in contracts, Nokia did something similar for a while.

08-28-11 07:10 AM
    I know hardly anyone that actively uses BBM but I'm sharing BBM Music with dozens of people that aren't BBM contacts. Plus, I can create playlists that include songs from my friends that aren't counted against my 50 songs. If someone chooses songs I don't like I can choose to ignore just the song or all songs by that artist. I just canceled Spotify premium. I'm totally hooked!
    08-28-11 08:29 AM
    Plus, I can create playlists that include songs from my friends that aren't counted against my 50 songs. If someone chooses songs I don't like I can choose to ignore just the song or all songs by that artist.
    I really love how you can add them to your playlist without having them count as your 50 songs. This is great.
    08-28-11 08:31 AM
    One more thing. I take it that people tend to BBM people that are actual friends but BBM Music friends are more like people you follow on Twitter that you don't even know but you get to listen to their music. Hope that helps visualize the experience for those who haven't yet tried it.
    08-28-11 08:34 AM
    One more thing. I take it that people tend to BBM people that are actual friends but BBM Music friends are more like people you follow on Twitter that you don't even know but you get to listen to their music. Hope that helps visualize the experience for those who haven't yet tried it.
    Exactly. Your BBM Music contacts will mostly be made up of completely random strangers, But they have made it to where it is super easy to request a BBM Music contact to become an actual BBM friend. Which I have done with a few people. Also you can message your BBMM contacts without adding them to your actual BBM. So you can get to know them instead of just posting your PIN all over app world reviews lol

I am currently up to 2371 songs on my list. The songs I have actually picked for myself have all been picked by my other contacts also. And searching for music to add to my own list is kind of pointless. Every song I can think of that I want to add is already in my list from my BBMM contacts. Its crazy I'm gonna start adding repeats just to help others fill out there music list some. One bad thing I have found is there is a limit. Someone invited me and when I went to accept his invitation it told me he had reached the contact limit.

No idea what that limit is though. I easily have over 100 BBMM contacts and its still growing every couple of minutes. This will actually make me do something I havent done in over 10 years. That is pay for music. The social aspects make it very addictive and its better than pandora because the random songs are all good. Pandora i spent way too much time skipping (till I reached the limit) and with this I rarely ever need to skip a song. I'm really impressed with it so far.
    dollface and Bulldawg like this.
    08-28-11 03:10 PM
    I still dont think the pricing makes a lot of sense, although I think the idea has a lot of potential. I suspect the cost is influenced by the act of actually storing mp3s on your phone's SD card. Or, it could also be that RIM has significantly less bargaining power with the studios. Either way, I can't see the appeal when stacked up against a $3 all-you-can eat streaming plan from Last.FM.

Anyways - I like the premise of the idea, since music is, in many ways, a shared experience. But I think theres a lot that can be done to increase the appeal of BBM music and build a larger community. Some ideas Ive been rolling around:
    • Include the current offering in all BIS base plans and increase the plan price by $1/$2. This would immediately build a large BBM music community, means that anyone on BBM has BBM music, and gives RIM more pull with the studios wrt. pricing. It would have to be weighed against a possible loss of new or existing users when the price goes up.
    • Introduce tiers of music plans. The one right now could be bundled with BIS. There could be additional tiers ($5, $7 ?) that increase the number of locally cached songs and/or include unlimited streaming. There could also be a badge for premium members - something like Music Lover or Flickrs Pro.
    • Share the music between all BlackBerry devices attached to your BlackBerry ID, similar to Apples iCloud. The moment you choose a BBM song I think it should be pushed to your other devices - especially your PlayBook. Basically Id like there to be no friction in enjoying BlackBerry music.
    • Provide APIs to access and transform your BBM music, and repost the mixed results. Basically, Id like to see users be able to create remixes, and share those remixes with their BBM Music contacts. I think that being truly social means giving up some element of control, but the end result is a virality and stickiness that is very hard to achieve in a curated system. (Look at Youtube, and the huge amount of remixed content there). Id love to see third-party developers create mixing apps for the PlayBook that allow you to transform BBM Music mp3s and reshare them with your friends. If you post enough you could even get a Mix Master badge
    • Reward your most active users by increasing their shared-music limit, giving them BBM badges, etc. Basically I would like to see the most active users feel happy for putting time into the BBM Music community.
    • Make BBM Music an awesome venue for indie artists to release and share their own music. I havent really thought this through yet, but its part of making the service more sticky, and more unique. I guess Im thinking of something like last.fm brought to the BlackBerry space...

Basically everything that Ive mentioned is trying to make BBM Music less controlled, more amenable to user-generated-content, and (as a result) substantially more sticky. If youve put a lot of time into building a profile, mixing music, posting comments, etc. youre much more likely to attract other users and much less likely to leave.

Oh. And they have to build awesome phones as well
    BBWatchCA likes this.
    08-28-11 04:19 PM
    So Doesn't Spotify provide their application for BlackBerry? If that's the case then I could see how BB users might be satisfied with this. But there is NO ONE that would choose this over Spotify. Even at twice the price.
    08-29-11 08:10 AM
    So Doesn't Spotify provide their application for BlackBerry? If that's the case then I could see how BB users might be satisfied with this. But there is NO ONE that would choose this over Spotify. Even at twice the price.

No Spotify app for blackberry, not yet anyway.

08-29-11 08:23 AM
    tried and lovin it. $5 is totally worth it. i am not rich but i can save that money from a cheap fastfood meal
    08-30-11 12:43 AM
    will not pay for this service unless it is unlimited sharing and downloads.
    08-31-11 09:48 AM
    Yeah, there are too many free alternatives out there, and do I really need another social network to pay attention to, even if it is music? If I have music I want to share there are ways of doing it without being limited to 50 songs and having to pay the $5/month.

It has potential but there are kinks that need to be ironed out....
    08-31-11 03:57 PM
    I think since u can already swap songs for free as much as u want this wont go anywhere. One particular poll i saw showed 29% interested, 71% not interested. Thats 3-1 odds, not good.
    08-31-11 06:35 PM
    I've been using the beta and, while I like the app, I don't see myself paying $5 a month for the service. I'll see how it shapes up over my free month, but unless I manage to come across a lot of people who share the same music taste as myself I really don't think I'll continue to use it. The value it offers compared to services like Spotify or Pandora is minimal to me. I also think I would rather pay for something that I would benefit from when I'm at my computer instead of being glued to my phone.

If the price was different, everything would be a different story. $2 a month to use this app just from my phone? I'd be okay with that. $5 seems a little high, though.

Granted, this could all turn around during my free month. These are just my initial thoughts after using the app for a few days.
    08-31-11 07:25 PM
    Granted, this could all turn around during my free month. These are just my initial thoughts after using the app for a few days.
    Dunno. One of the most important reactions you can get when you trial a product is when asking people "Are you willing to pay $_ for this?" You can have the coolest idea in the world, but there's always a price people think it's worth. Charge more than that and your market may no longer exist.

Of all the reactions I've heard, the two loudest ones are:
    1. The price is too high
    2. 50 songs is too limited (this is because of the $4.99 price)

That so many people are saying this should serve as a gut-check to the marketing team. If it's a hard sell to the most committed BlackBerry users it's going to be a harder sell to everyone else, especially when compared to iTunes, Pandora, Last.FM, Spotify, Amazon or Google Cloud Music, etc. Heck - wasn't there a rumor that Facebook was getting into the streaming music business as well?
    Last edited by allengeorge; 09-01-11 at 10:27 AM.
    09-01-11 10:23 AM
    I'd be MUCH more comfortable at 1.99 or 2.99 per month!
    09-02-11 12:39 PM
    I down load music alot on 3 different sites at 99 cents a pop. It would cost me $50.00 to downloaded 50 songs! So $4.99 a month works for me. Thats 50 more songs a month plus friends songs. I just downloaded bbm music yesterday, I love this app and will subscribe!
    09-02-11 01:44 PM
    So, most people see 4.99 as not competitive with other services, but some are willing to pay 4.99 for BB Music. Very interesting perspectives.
    09-02-11 02:32 PM
    Is there any other service out there that costs $5? I know there's some that cost $10 but not $5, which means it doesn't have competition.

09-02-11 02:50 PM
    Honestly, once my free ride (beta) is over, so will be my BBM Music activity. Not worth ANY amount to me. Not saying others shouldn't, but I've got mp3s galore, Sirius, AM-FM, radio apps on the BB, etc etc etc.

09-03-11 11:06 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD