01-25-12 02:45 PM
28 12
tools
    I see a lot of people don't understand the reason behind the song limit and why they will be charged $4.99 to use this app. To understand this move by RIM, you really have to start thinking from their point of view. Sure it's annoying that you can change only 25 songs every month. But let's take an example and find out if that price and song limit is justified. Taking stats from the current poll on BlackBerry Beta Zone, we can assume that most users have around 50 contacts on BBM. (see image)

First, lets see if the $4.99 we will spend every month is really worth it. Now from the 50 odd contacts you have, lets say 24 of them have subscribed to BBMM. This gives you access to 1200 songs + 50 songs that you get to keep. So that's 1250 songs including 625 new songs every month (considering all your contacts exchange the maximum number of songs). I feel, 625 new songs every month itself is worth $4.99! Why?? because 1) I get to choose 25 of my own songs. 2) Even if I don't have the time to 'discover' new songs, BBMM does it for me! I could use my friends playlist to keep myself updated or I can use the Top Chart. Plus, suppose I don't pay for a month, I'll still be updated with top charts and what my friends are listening to. If you still think all this isn't worth $4.99 a month, then I suggest you use spotify or some other App.

As for the song limit. Taking the same assumptions as above, you have 24 friends sharing music. If you had the option to have unlimited songs, you will add songs from your friends profile to yours just so it shows up in your profile (so you can try and prove to the rest of the world that you have a good choice in music, well you don't :P ). This costs RIM ALOT! If 45 million BBM users join BBMM and start this duplication, the number could go in billions! Now that sum is just for sharing a song on multiple profiles, having unlimited songs on your playlist also means you (to some extent) have ownership of them. Now, giving ownership of millions of songs to millions of people can cost a whole bunch! And considering the fact that you add songs from your friends profile, that counts as a duplication in ownership. Add up all these costs, divide by the number of users who are going to use this service and you will have a sum of more than $10 per user per month (to say the least). You do the math .

The benefits of allowing people to have only 50 songs is it avoids duplication. You don't need to add a song to your playlist just to look cool in front of your friends. This feature in some way forces you to listen to songs from your friends list. Which is where the whole "music sharing" part comes into place. Also, what this does is, it forces you to come up with a unique playlist. So, even if you have only 24 friends on BBMM, you will always have access to approximately 1250 different songs and 625 fresh songs every month. If you have been using the beta version and have more than 1000 songs, you will agree with me that its worth that kind of money! I have also noticed that because of this, people have started adding random people to their BBM just so they increase the songs available to them. This will start happening on a larger scale once BBMM is out of beta. There will be BBM groups, maybe Facebook groups? allowing users to share their PIN just so they could add each other on BBMM. And of course, if you have that one friend who you've deleted from BBM because you're upset with him/her, you're going to have to forgive them. Cause hey! the one song that you like is in his/her playlist and you're going to miss it
    09-05-11 05:37 AM
    Great post. Right now I have over 2400 song, I find my self listening too songs that I normally don't listen too, I am discovering new music. I am loving BBM MUSIC, BABY!
    09-05-11 06:37 AM
    BB Music is a win. I love it.
    09-05-11 02:16 PM
    Im loving it to. its opened my eyes to a new music experience .
    09-05-11 03:51 PM
    I'm actually amazed at how cool it is. I went in very skeptical but have seen the light (and yes, I do believe that a song limit is the right thing to do as well!)
    I'm struggling with what to do when it comes time to pay though... while it is cool, there are two problems:

• Do I want to pay $4.99/mo? Not likely for what it offers. I'd do 0.99 or 1.99, maybe 2.99 but anything more and it will constantly nag me how much it's costing for a music service like this.
    • Will others pay the $4.99/mo? If the number of users drops by 95% when they have to start paying, it will defeat the whole purpose of the service. If it's too expensive for most people, there will be few left to share with.
    Last edited by joesworld; 09-05-11 at 06:34 PM.
    sahil123 and Guatiao like this.
    09-05-11 06:30 PM
    I was under the impression that when you have actual BBM contacts that you get 50 more songs to pick from in addition to sharing songs to ppl you add on BBM Music. Oh well, still like the concept though.
    09-06-11 02:39 AM
    Great post Sahil123, with one correction. It's not your BBM friends that you add. When you activate your invite, it shows you which of your BBM friends have BBM Music. Once you add even one BBM friend, you can then add their friends. Those people, most of whom will accept your invitation to be a BBM Music friend just to expand their music libraries, do not become BBM friends. They are BBM Music friends. So, your BBM list doesn't necessarily expand unless you want it to. I prefer to keep my BBM list relatively tight and BBM Music allows you to do this. Great App. I have about 2,500 to 3,000 songs now. The only thing is that I normally don't use my blackberry to listen to music. So, for me to continue to keep the app, I have to change my personal use of the blackberry. If I do change that behavior though, it's well worth the $5/month, once the free month is over.
    sahil123 likes this.
    09-06-11 06:50 AM
    I will most likely get it, BUT I feel it's priced just a bit too high. I would be MUCH more comfortable at 1.99 or 2.99 a month. I think 2.99 a month would be the sweet spot for me, but 4.99 is just a bit too much. HOWEVER I probably will try it for the first few months, BUT if too many of my friends drop it, then I probably will too!
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-06-11 11:19 AM
    Yes but I feel that bbm music should have lists to more songs that I can't seem to find in bbm music right now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 02:19 PM
    I agree with the $2.99 pricing idea. We pay enough for our blackberries already!

09-09-11 11:34 AM
    The $4.99/mo price is gonna make a lot of people drop it, but $1.99/mo would be nice.
    09-10-11 01:26 PM
    Here's my thinking, though. I only have maybe 15-20 contacts on BB Music and access to 650 songs. I can't justify $4.99 if I can only add 50 songs of my choosing. Plus, a lot of my friends on BB Music won't pay 4.99, so I will miss out on the social integration. Less people downloading it=less appealing. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if there was a lite version that capped the songs at 50 that was either free or maybe .99, I would use that. The way I see it is a) Introduce a lite version (50 songs and 25 swaps) and have the $4.99 version be uncapped b)Keep it the way it is (capped at 50 songs) but make it free.
    09-10-11 02:05 PM
    Here's my thinking, though. I only have maybe 15-20 contacts on BB Music and access to 650 songs. I can't justify $4.99 if I can only add 50 songs of my choosing. Plus, a lot of my friends on BB Music won't pay 4.99, so I will miss out on the social integration. Less people downloading it=less appealing. It's a vicious cycle. Now, if there was a lite version that capped the songs at 50 that was either free or maybe .99, I would use that. The way I see it is a) Introduce a lite version (50 songs and 25 swaps) and have the $4.99 version be uncapped b)Keep it the way it is (capped at 50 songs) but make it free.
    Good marketing idea. Although, I don't know if 50 songs (even with 25 swaps/mo) is worth $0.99 for me, especially since most of my 50 songs I already own. I'm now around 3,500 songs and bumped into the friend cap (perhaps at 50, I haven't counted). Even if my personal friends don't keep it, and few are even trying it, if 20% of my BBM music friends keep it when they hit 30 days, then my library of songs drops not just in number, but if those who keep it don't have songs I'm really interested in, it's not worth $1. If people don't use their full 50 songs and don't put a description of what's included we'll all end up with a useless collection of songs.
    09-10-11 06:24 PM
    Would be nice if the current BBM Music was included in your BIS/BES data plan. Would be a great incentive for people to get a BlackBerry in this competitive market.

If you wanted unlimited music then they should charge $5-$10/month.
    09-11-11 03:45 AM
    Totally worth it.

I have always budgeted one CD a month for music. I could easily purchase more but by restricting myself im force to be more selective. BBM music isnt about the volume of songs it is about a music experience and that experience is going to be different for everyone. Ill will still buy songs to keep on my laptop but Im going to use BBM music as way to keep my playlists fresh and evolving.

Ive said it before but those responsible for BBM Music need to stand up and be recognized for a job well done.
    bermont likes this.
    11-06-11 12:56 AM
    I used to run my own DJ service. The cost of owning and up keep of top 40 in every genre, week to week was huge. I admit, iTunes was my go-to for music and I spent thousands a year. Granted those were "my" songs and I could digitally do anything I wanted once purchased. I typically had on cue at any time during a music session 20,000 mp3's. At 0.99 per song on iTunes ...the math is shockingly obvious.

Now here on BBM Music, you get 25 songs per month, and access to 50 songs per contact. I have 100+ contacts on BBM Music and access to 3300 songs. To be quite honest, BBM Music is not for music ownership, it is for a musical and social experience. I spent several hours tonight with my professional grade Sennheiser DJ headphones and rocked the **** out with my 9900 Bold! I listened to stuff I could not ever imagine wanting to listen to ...but its there and I had countless episodes of "hmmmmm, what's that!? .... Oh s*** this is good!".

When you only have 50 songs to pick from, and 25 per month to swap out, one tends to pick the very best of your treasured musical repertoire, they are your 50 best and you cast them out for all to enjoy. Wilst doing that, everyone else is doing the same and the collective experience is mind numbingly spectacular.

4.99 per month, come on ..that's 5 songs on iTunes which is without the social experience and the joy of opening up to other genres. I spend more money on toothpaste per month than this costs.

Having been a professional DJ for over a decade, I have spent countless hours and money, playing and listening to music at the expense of my own desire to enjoy music. Do you know how much damage playing the "Chicken Dance", to 300 drunk seniors does to your will to live, much less your love of music. Or having to play the Barney the purple dinosaur song to 40 kids as they destroy my 30 thousand dollar sound system .. You have no idea.

Tonight over a hundred other people were "my" DJ ..and I loved it.

Last edited by bermont; 11-06-11 at 03:02 PM. Reason: no auto correct on playbook *sigh*
    NuNalij, stacym75, Just Me and 2 others like this.
    11-06-11 06:04 AM
    It is certainly an interesting take on the social music player thingy.
    It is also certainly not for all people. It is free for two months or so give it a try if you still think $4.99 for access to 1000+ songs on a social platform on your Blackberry is too much, well move on. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
    It is not for you. Simple.
    That said, someone did suggest RIM look into including it in the overall BIS/BES subscription as a bundle like good old BBM. That could be a deal clincher for many people and an excellent imcentive to use blackberries. Some mortals fear subscriptions.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    11-06-11 09:42 AM
    I think $5 per month for the thousands of songs I have now on BBM Music is an absolute BARGAIN considering for the same price I could only get 5 measily songs on iTunes. I mean, its kind of a no brainer imho. Not to mention we can keep refreshing our songs so things never get stale.
    11-06-11 10:12 AM
    When you only have 50 songs to pick from, and 25 per month to swap out, one tends to pick the very best of your treasured musical repertoire, they are your 50 best and you cast them out for all to enjoy. Wilst doing that, everyone else is doing the same and the collective experience is mind numbingly spectacular.
    have no idea.
    That is BBM music in a nutshell. Do you find yourself worried about adding too many people and thus diluting the experience?
    11-15-11 07:41 PM
    I just got the trial. I think it's a great idea. I haven't been the best at getting my music the proper way over the years so I don't feel bad about the fee. I also love the sharing aspect of it, not to just grow my selection but to see what other people listen to. It's amazing what you can find in other peoples music collection. There is an easy way to add songs to your collection by adding randoms but I don't like the idea of adding randoms onto my BBM

And as for the look of the media player inside the app: I love it! Looks great.

This is a very cool thing they have created here. I think it will be good for the BB community. Now if they could get cozy with a company that makes some great speakers and headphones to go with it. The ones that it come with are not worthy to be in the same box as their phones.

11-16-11 04:02 AM
    If you purchased song separately, each is to cost you like USD 1 online. In that context. USD 5 for 50 songs plus capability to increase song portfolio doesn't look too much. I am eagerly waiting to try it out when it launched in my country

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 09:51 PM
    so if i search a song on my friends list and add that song to my playlist and store it on my phone by selecting store on device and then my bbm music friend does not subsribe and deletes her account, does that music that i stored on my device on my playlist go away??????
    11-18-11 12:04 AM
    I'm a diehard bbjunkie and all for BBM Music initially, until after the first month, the novelty wears off quickly. The idea was great on paper, but was implemented poorly. It also was too littlte too late, and won't be enough to save RIM or allow them to remain relevant in the wireless climate. Lok at other music sharing services which have failed. Anyone remember Zune?

The main issues I have with it:
    - no PB or online integration.
    - if someone on my BBM MUSIC list, deletes a song or decides to no longer use the service, believe I no longer have access to the songs.
    - what if I scoured the BBMM network and found 50 rare songs that none of my 200+ contacts has? or I don't want to swap out my 25 songs each month, then i'm stuck paying $4.99 and its nothing more than an over priced rental service.
    - they need to make it more social, how to do this: add bbmm integrated chat, add artist trivia, contests, bbmm music exclusives, bbmm games. I have suggested all ideas to the beta community.
    - No integration with 7digital? if I want to buy a song I have to use another app? who's idea was that?

Keep in mind, Google and Facebook have launched or will be rolling out music service within the next quarter.

The $4.99 is nothing more than a fee to rent out music, the problem with that is I barely spend $60 a yr on buying current music since most of the stuff out is watered down over produced crap, I own most of the stuff from the 80-90's on CD + VINYL + MP3.
    11-21-11 04:31 PM
    well I dont listen to music much on my BB anyway I have about 30 songs on it...i do think the fee cap is reasonable though.

New Hip Hop Music
    11-25-11 12:46 PM
    I'm a diehard bbjunkie and all for BBM Music initially, until after the first month, the novelty wears off quickly. The idea was great on paper, but was implemented poorly. It also was too littlte too late, and won't be enough to save RIM or allow them to remain relevant in the wireless climate. Lok at other music sharing services which have failed. Anyone remember Zune?

The main issues I have with it:
    - no PB or online integration.
    - if someone on my BBM MUSIC list, deletes a song or decides to no longer use the service, believe I no longer have access to the songs.
    - what if I scoured the BBMM network and found 50 rare songs that none of my 200+ contacts has? or I don't want to swap out my 25 songs each month, then i'm stuck paying $4.99 and its nothing more than an over priced rental service.
    - they need to make it more social, how to do this: add bbmm integrated chat, add artist trivia, contests, bbmm music exclusives, bbmm games. I have suggested all ideas to the beta community.
    - No integration with 7digital? if I want to buy a song I have to use another app? who's idea was that?

Keep in mind, Google and Facebook have launched or will be rolling out music service within the next quarter.

The $4.99 is nothing more than a fee to rent out music, the problem with that is I barely spend $60 a yr on buying current music since most of the stuff out is watered down over produced crap, I own most of the stuff from the 80-90's on CD + VINYL + MP3.
    O' wise one. Enlighten us why it is too little too late for RIM whilst it is not for Google and Facebook?
    Is it because it is RIM? What you fail to realise is that each platform now NEEDS a music platform of some sort to survive, RIM has just put a sharing/social BBM spin on it.
    If you don't like it you just let it be. Do you know some BB users rarely use BBM? Should it be scrapped then?
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 11-25-11 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
    11-25-11 04:54 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD