When will Evolve receive Android Pie.
    07-12-19 11:12 AM
    Exceedingly unlikely.
    07-12-19 11:16 AM
    I here it will be right after the Evolve X gets released.

Bottom line is we don't know if anyone has paid BlackBerry for working on PIE at this point. And chances are, it's not very high on Optiemus list of things they need to do.
    Raghu Guddati likes this.
    07-12-19 11:51 AM
    I here it will be right after the Evolve X gets released.

Bottom line is we don't know if anyone has paid BlackBerry for working on PIE at this point. And chances are, it's not very high on Optiemus list of things they need to do.
    Do you mean the software update comes from BlackBerry Limited?
    07-12-19 11:58 AM
    Do you mean the software update comes from BlackBerry Limited?
    Always. When or if they receive a cheque of course
    07-12-19 12:00 PM
    Always. When or if they receive a cheque of course
    Thank you.
    But is the software update part of the licensing contract or the licensees have to pay for it every time they want to get the newer update?
    07-12-19 01:09 PM
    Thank you.
    But is the software update part of the licensing contract or the licensees have to pay for it every time they want to get the newer update?
    Regardless of how the deal was structured - they either paid for specific updates before, or they pay for it now.
    07-12-19 01:13 PM
    Thank you.
    When.... don't really know, but clearly they are optional... see PT BB Merah Putih and Optiemus.

BBMo almost makes me think there is a per device component for the Security Patches along with a structured fee for the big updates (Initial Build, then per unit).

Bottom line is I don't think BlackBerry just automatically started working on PIE at any point. Optiemus and BBMo had to make a commitment (Merah Putih has bailed), and I doubt Optiemus made any commitment to PIE. Leaving BBMo to foot the whole thing... if they want it.
    John Albert likes this.
    07-12-19 01:33 PM
    When.... don't really know, but clearly they are optional... see PT BB Merah Putih and Optiemus.

BBMo almost makes me think there is a per device component for the Security Patches along with a structured fee for the big updates (Initial Build, then per unit).

Bottom line is I don't think BlackBerry just automatically started working on PIE at any point. Optiemus and BBMo had to make a commitment (Merah Putih has bailed), and I doubt Optiemus made any commitment to PIE. Leaving BBMo to foot the whole thing... if they want it.
    Great!
    Why don't TCL update BlackBerry devices themselves instead of relying on BlackBerry Limited to do this task.
    I guess they could use the same update they put on Alcatel devices.
    07-12-19 01:38 PM
    Great!
    Why don't TCL update BlackBerry devices themselves instead of relying on BlackBerry Limited to do this task.
    I guess they could use the same update they put on Alcatel devices.
    Security... the whole Android Secure thing was built on BlackBerry doing the security. Enterprise was THE PLAN, and there is no way Enterprise was going to buy a phone from some Chinese company that handled everything.

Going forward it might make more sense to do a Android One program for these more consumer orientated phones (as Enterprise isn't really buying them in large enough numbers). But then at that point is it worth it for BlackBerry to be involved at all?

I "speculate" that we are in a transition period where both companies are (or have been) looking at ways to adjust the program to make it viable - as I doubt either has really seen a profit out of this. The KEY3 might be released under very different terms.... or not at all.

But the Evolve... I think Optiemus is going to follow Merah Putih, I don't see BlackBerry lifting a finger for those BlackBerry owners.
    07-12-19 01:47 PM
    But is it not mandatory that the company has to provide two major Android version updates?
    07-13-19 02:24 AM
    But is it not mandatory that the company has to provide two major Android version updates?
    I think for the models with Android one.
    07-13-19 02:35 AM
    Optiemus never made any statements or commitments regarding updates or security patches.
    07-13-19 07:29 AM
    But as per Android policy every company should provide monthly security updates along with two major updates right? Isn't it? Just asking
    07-13-19 09:27 PM
    The worst thing is it's still running on November security patch.
    07-13-19 09:28 PM
    But as per Android policy every company should provide monthly security updates along with two major updates right? Isn't it? Just asking
    I believe the answer is ...... No.....
    07-13-19 09:33 PM
    It would be nice... but no Google doesn't force OEMs to update their phones. They have started this Android One program which does give customers some assurances.

At this point I think the chances of BlackBerry even working on a PIE update for any devices is very low - but not impossible. But chances that the now behind in their payments to BlackBerry, Optiemus getting it are very much approaching the impossible end of things.
    07-15-19 07:58 AM