05-03-19 11:16 AM
30 12
tools
    For a few weeks now, I've noticed that the retract feature in the consumer version of BBM is not working when attempting to retract my message history with any contacts. Has anyone else noticed this?
    05-02-19 08:36 PM
    To quote Hillary Clinton, "What difference at this point does it make?"

Seriously, end of the month the app goes poof.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-02-19 09:27 PM
    To quote Hillary Clinton, "What difference at this point does it make?"

Yes, I'm aware of that. However, before then I prefer to retract my messages when I desire to prevent uninvited eyes from viewing them.
    05-02-19 09:31 PM
    Any idea what happens then for people on BB10? Will the contacts dissappear? Just kinda curious at this point....

Posted via CB10
    05-02-19 09:43 PM
    Yes, I'm aware of that. However, before then I prefer to retract my messages when I desire to prevent uninvited eyes from viewing them.
    My guess if someone wanted to preserve your conversation, they'd have already done it.

Any idea what happens then for people on BB10? Will the contacts dissappear? Just kinda curious at this point....
    As far as I know it will continue to work on the enterprise backbone. They were booted off Emtek last year.
    05-02-19 10:02 PM
    My guess if someone wanted to preserve your conversation, they'd have already done it.

As far as I know it will continue to work on the enterprise backbone. They were booted off Emtek last year.
    You're missing my point but it is no matter.

My question was & still is: Has anyone else here noticed that the retract feature is not working?

I'd like to know from users if it is widespread as if the feature has broken at some point. Yes, I'm aware it would not be fixed if that is the case.
    05-02-19 10:12 PM
    You're missing my point but it is no matter.
    You are trying to erase what could easily have been safely tucked away from your reach. I believe I'm on point. Good luck!
    05-02-19 11:46 PM
    You are trying to erase what could easily have been safely tucked away from your reach. I believe I'm on point. Good luck!
    Yes of course my contacts could save the chat messages outside of BBM a number of ways. I'm not really concerned about that. I appreciate the retract feature because it helps me prevent people other than my intended contact readily/easily seeing the messages if/when using/snooping in my contacts phone (such as kids and/or other people who are not meant to see the messages I've sent). But my thread is getting sidetracked.

I'm asking if anyone here has noticed that the retract feature is not working for them also.
    05-03-19 12:26 AM
    What happens when you try?
    05-03-19 12:40 AM
    When I tap the menu > Clear Chat > Retract Chat it says the chat is retracted it is removed from my chat list. However, when I go to my contacts list & select the contact for which the chat was supposed retracted it opens up the entire chat history as if I never retracted my messages.
    Previously when I retracted a chat history then started a chat with the contact my messages were no longer recalled because I had retracted them. Same thing when my contacts retracted history from their end.
    05-03-19 12:49 AM
    Message pops up "Your wife already saw this"
    05-03-19 12:49 AM
    Message pops up "Your wife already saw this"
    Not an unexpected comment or very original.

I'm simply asking if other users here are having the same problem with the retract feature.
    05-03-19 12:57 AM
    I just tested it for you and mine worked.
    05-03-19 01:01 AM
    Oh, wait....I tried it on a single message, not the whole chat...

You're right....retracting the chat and then opening up a contact to start a new chat brings back the old one.

However....the individual message I retracted is gone. You might have to do it message by message
    05-03-19 01:03 AM
    05-03-19 01:03 AM
    Try this
    If you're suggesting he lock the app, I don't think that's what he wants...he wants it removed from the other end, I think.
    05-03-19 01:06 AM
    If you're suggesting he lock the app, I don't think that's what he wants...he wants it removed from the other end, I think.
    No, originally it sounded like that, but it's their end they want gone. Clear chat works fine.
    05-03-19 01:08 AM
    No, originally it sounded like that, but it's their end they want gone. Clear chat works fine.
    It clears it until you select the contact again, and then re-establishes the previous chat.

Retract is now doing the same thing.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-03-19 01:11 AM
    It clears it until you select the contact again, and then re-establishes the previous chat.

Retract is now doing the same thing.
    Ah, I see. Meh, get another app that works. Hillary is still right.
    05-03-19 01:13 AM
    Oh, wait....I tried it on a single message, not the whole chat...

You're right....retracting the chat and then opening up a contact to start a new chat brings back the old one.

However....the individual message I retracted is gone. You might have to do it message by message
    Thank you for testing yours out, providing an answer to my question & not sidetracking my thread with irrelevant comments.
    So I too can retract individual messages. But as I mentioned, retracting an entire chat history is not working anymore.
    05-03-19 01:14 AM
    Thank you for testing yours out, providing an answer to my question & not sidetracking my thread with irrelevant comments.
    So I too can retract individual messages. But as I mentioned, retracting an entire chat history is not working anymore.
    No problem.....I think BBMc is officially "broken" ...lol.
    05-03-19 01:15 AM
    Yes you're correct.
    05-03-19 01:16 AM
    No problem.....I think BBMc is officially "broken" ...lol.
    It seems retracting the entire history in one fell swoop is broken. Everything else still seems to work on it for me. It'll be sad to see it end on the 31st even if BBMe is still available & offers better security. But none of my contacts want to go through the steps to set up a BBMe account. Like most people they want to use what is popular & don't have to provide payment info for. I'm hoping to get my contacts to move to Telegram with me.
    05-03-19 01:23 AM
    It seems retracting the entire history in one fell swoop is broken. Everything else still seems to work on it for me. It'll be sad to see it end on the 31st even if BBMe is still available & offers better security. But none of my contacts want to go through the steps to set up a BBMe account. Like most people they want to use what is popular & don't have to provide payment info for. I'm hoping to get my contacts to move to Telegram with me.
    I have offered all my contacts that I will cover their first year cost and offered up my credit card....lol.

I'm on BBMe with my mom and it's excellent! I am actively trying to get other friends to switch over.

Most of my friends are on Whatsapp, and it's hard to get them off it.
    05-03-19 01:30 AM
    I have offered all my contacts that I will cover their first year cost and offered up my credit card....lol.

I'm on BBMe with my mom and it's excellent! I am actively trying to get other friends to switch over.

Most of my friends are on Whatsapp, and it's hard to get them off it.
    That's very nice one of you. I'm sure BBMe is superb. I'd prefer to move to BBMe but convincing my few BBM contacts to even start using BBMc was a real challenge & now that the consumer version is ending so abruptly it doesn't really help with convincing people to move over to the enterprise version.
    So based on the advice of @conite I'm choosing to move to Telegram because it's secure, offers most of the same features as BBMc & it's free. The only thing I don't like about it is that it requires a phone number to make an account.
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight_Forever; 05-03-19 at 11:10 AM.
    05-03-19 01:49 AM
30 12