I have staff in China trying to switch from BBM to BBMe. Everything goes well until they get to the subscription screen and it won't allow the payment to go through. I have them using VPN connections to the U.S. since I suspect the government isn't fond of secure messaging apps but it still won't complete the setup.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a suggestion?
    05-22-19 12:29 PM
    Someone in Hong Kong was having issues subscribing.... might do a search and see if he found a fix. Sadly I think it was within one of the other threads on BBMe in general.
    05-22-19 01:48 PM
    I have staff in China trying to switch from BBM to BBMe. Everything goes well until they get to the subscription screen and it won't allow the payment to go through. I have them using VPN connections to the U.S. since I suspect the government isn't fond of secure messaging apps but it still won't complete the setup.

Problem could be with payment location source. Need payment method that not FinCen sanction, embargo or restricted list.
    05-22-19 03:05 PM
    Thanks! I had a feeling it was payment related but was hoping the VPN would solve it.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-19 03:36 PM

Which device is he using?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-19 05:33 PM
    After some research, it isn't the payment type. It won't let me use the Blackberry ID to install BBMe. Doesn't even give me the "Subscribe" option. I only get a message that the account doesn't have a subscription. The email address is not based in China, so that can not be the problem.

While I appreciate Blackberry opening up BBMe to individuals since BBM is going away, their website and support are not setup very well for this. No way to delete or make significant changes to Blackberry IDs.
    05-25-19 05:54 PM
    After some research, it isn't the payment type. It won't let me use the Blackberry ID to install BBMe. Doesn't even give me the "Subscribe" option. I only get a message that the account doesn't have a subscription. The email address is not based in China, so that can not be the problem.

While I appreciate Blackberry opening up BBMe to individuals since BBM is going away, their website and support are not setup very well for this. No way to delete or make significant changes to Blackberry IDs.
    Pardon my ignorance, but are you sure that there is no block on your VPN connection with BBMe? I am surprised that you could even use BBM through a VPN connection in China due to the Great Wall effect. I was under the opinion that VPN connections are quite often blocked randomly as well.
    05-25-19 06:01 PM
    My last effort was trying the setup from the U.S. so no VPN used or needed.
    05-26-19 01:13 PM
    My last effort was trying the setup from the U.S. so no VPN used or needed.
    With BBM? I can't use BBM from Canada to China - hasn't worked for over a year now. Great Wall has prevented that.
    05-26-19 01:54 PM
    We've been using BBM between the US & China for many year including now. With BBMe consumer ending, trying to switch to BBMe which I am thankful to BlackBerry for offering but a little support would be helpful. All support seems to geared to large organizations with budgets to pay for on-going support. We are small organization with simple questions but answers are difficult to locate.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-19 03:41 PM
    We've been using BBM between the US & China for many year including now. With BBMe consumer ending, trying to switch to BBMe which I am thankful to BlackBerry for offering but a little support would be helpful. All support seems to geared to large organizations with budgets to pay for on-going support. We are small organization with simple questions but answers are difficult to locate.

Posted via CB10
    Email the support listed.... many have gotten replies to their answers.

But might be that China just isn't a supported market for BBMe.
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-28-19 01:06 PM
    But might be that China just isn't a supported market for BBMe.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. China has slowly been whittling away at all IM apps other than WeChat. BBM, Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp etc. have all been banished one by one.
    05-28-19 02:43 PM
    That's what I'm thinking as well. China has slowly been whittling away at all IM apps other than WeChat. BBM, Telegram, Viber, WhatsApp etc. have all been banished one by one.
    Which is probable how the government wants it....

Few years ago Amnesty International ranked messengers on encryption and human rights, WeChat came in last even below consumer BBM.
    05-28-19 02:59 PM
    Actually some IM apps like WhatsApp and Kakaotalk can be used in China, and also BBM consumer. You can also setup BBM Enterprise in China, the main issue is that you can only subscribe the service directly through Apple Store on IOS. If you are using Android device, you have to get access to Google Play Store with VPN connection.
    05-29-19 12:38 AM
    Actually some IM apps like WhatsApp and Kakaotalk can be used in China, and also BBM consumer. You can also setup BBM Enterprise in China, the main issue is that you can only subscribe the service directly through Apple Store on IOS. If you are using Android device, you have to get access to Google Play Store with VPN connection.
    Hmnn ..... I haven't been able to use BBM consumer for about 1 year now. Mind you, I gave up on it and haven't tried it in quite some time.
    05-29-19 07:00 AM
    Hmnn ..... I haven't been able to use BBM consumer for about 1 year now. Mind you, I gave up on it and haven't tried it in quite some time.
    I kept using BBM consumer with some friends and business partner in China until last month, then we moved to BBMe. BBM consumer is fully function in China, except that you need VPN to make the one time login.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-29-19 06:17 PM
    I kept using BBM consumer with some friends and business partner in China until last month, then we moved to BBMe. BBM consumer is fully function in China, except that you need VPN to make the one time login.

Posted via CB10
    I guess that's my problem........no VPN.. Like everyone else, I've succumbed to WeChat now for my communication to China when I need to.
    05-29-19 06:24 PM
    I guess that's my problem........no VPN.. Like everyone else, I've succumbed to WeChat now for my communication to China when I need to.
    That's the thing... were the people you needing to communicate with using BBM? When there are extra steps to getting something to work, you start loosing people.

I believe that BBMe would be a much more secure option... but getting everyone on board with a subscription to BBMe and a VPN?
    05-30-19 09:10 AM
    That's the thing... were the people you needing to communicate with using BBM? When there are extra steps to getting something to work, you start loosing people.

I believe that BBMe would be a much more secure option... but getting everyone on board with a subscription to BBMe and a VPN?
    Just my wife when she goes to teach. BBM consumer used to work beautifully but then it stopped. It's much easier to just download and use WeChat than it is to screw around with a VPN, subscription etc etc. I have been told (rightly or wrongly?) that even by using a VPN, the Great Wall has a method to block IM apps in many cases. Why bother with all that when you can just use another "accepted" app. If both BBMe and WeChat were equally acceptable, there would be no doubt that i would choose BBMe.
    05-30-19 09:25 AM
    With BBM? I can't use BBM from Canada to China - hasn't worked for over a year now. Great Wall has prevented that.
    I'm using bbm without VPN in Shanghai china .
    brookie229 likes this.
    06-02-19 06:14 AM
    I'm using bbm without VPN in Shanghai china .
    Good to know. Something must have changed as we gave up on it quite some time ago after not getting it to work.
    06-02-19 08:32 AM
    Good to know. Something must have changed as we gave up on it quite some time ago after not getting it to work.
    I'm using BlackBerry Motion..
    My BBMe is well working without
    VPN.

Im use free snap VPN or Turbo VPN.

I m enable use Wi-Fi or china's mobile LTE network connect VPN.
    06-02-19 09:20 AM