As members of the mobile nations team, myself and the other ambassadors and mods (and as you might with any organizations you work for) are given an @mobilenations.com email alias, or email forward. Basically this is an email address using which you can receive messages but has no inbox of its own, messages sent to it are simply forwarded to another mail box of your choosing.

This is all fine and good, but I like many others like to be able to reply to messages from the address to which they were sent, this can be to look more professional, or to keep your personal email address confidential. Gmail has a nifty way or allowing you to setup email alias so that you can "send mail as" other address you own from within gmail, which we are also going to touch on in this guide, because it is necessary for the process, but being a crackberry addict I do most of my emailing from my device, so I wanted to come up with a way to respond using the professional address, from my device. After some discussion a solutions has been found, which will work with any email forwards you have.

Step 1 in solving this dilemma is to create a dummy email account, this likely can be done with outlook.com or others, but I'm a gmail users so for this tutorial that's what we're going to use.

I chose to name my new account crackberryluc@gmail.com, but you can use absolutely anything you like.. this email address will never see the light of day.

Once the account has been created, head over to settings and find the accounts tab.

From here you will see an option to create a "send mail as" address, you will click this box and enter in a display name of your choosing and your email alias, in my case it's my @mobilenations.com address, but for you it could from any organization or just an old hotmail or gmail address you are now forwarding to a new address.

Click next, and then choose the option to use gmails servers to send messages.

Click next again, and you will be asked to verify that you own this address and have a right to send messages from it. After clicking 'send verification' a verification code will be sent to your email alias which you will retrieve from your primary mail box, and type into the verification box

Once that's done, you now have the ability to send messages that look like they are from your email alias from this dummy gmail account. Also go ahead and click make default beside the your alias address, and then change the toggle below to always send mail from the default address.

At this point, if you'd like your alias to have it's own mailbox, you can request that your forward be changed to the new dummy address. After-which any messages sent to your alias will appear here, and when you reply or send a new message from this account, the messages appear to come from your alias. The dummy address will never be used except for to initially setup your forward and to initially setup the account on your device.

Personally, I don't want my @mobilenations email address to have a separate inbox, I choose to forward all of my email accounts to one central mail box so that's the only one I have to log into on my PC, so I'm not going to change my forward because that's how I already have it setup. I'm creating this address just for outgoing messages. (P.S. Since i'm not receiving messages in the dummy mailbox, there's no reason for me ever to log into it again once it's setup, but I've also set up my alias as a "Send mail as" address on my primary account so I can send or reply to messages using this address from the gmail web interface. This step is optional, and if do it don't make the alias the default for your primary account, and leave the toggle setup to always reply from the same address the message came in on, rather then always the default like above.

Moving to the device now,

First, from the accounts menu under settings.. you are going to add a new IMAP account. You can use whatever you like as a description, I chose Mobile Nations. Then enter whatever you'd like as a display name.

Now comes the important part!

Under username, and under SMTP username enter the dummy address you created, in my case crackberryluc@gmail.com but unlike a regular gmail setup under email address enter your alias address. This will allow you to log into the dummy account, but the messages sent from this account on your device to appear they were sent from the email alias. You'll also need to enter the server information (imap.gmail.com & smtp.gmail.com) Lastly, if you chose to forward your email to this account, then set up you sync options however you like, if you are not changing your forward like me then I'd turn push off and change the sync interval to manual. No sense wasting battery power on a mailbox that will always be empty!

You should now see the alias address listed as one of your accounts

And in the hub

And most importantly, you will now be able to select your alias address from the drop down list when creating a new message or replying to a message!

Note: the ability to change address's from within the reply screen requires 10.2 or above if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions post them below, and if this helped you out be sure to click thanks!
    Last edited by just_luc; 06-21-13 at 03:57 PM.
    06-21-13 03:43 PM
    Great job Luc.
    just_luc likes this.
    06-21-13 11:59 PM
    Thanks for all the useful info. I set this up on my new Z10 and it works as you explained, more or less. Why more or less? Because when I send an email to another BB user (Bold), the sender's name is as set up in the alias info in Gmail, but when you go with the BB mouse over the sender's name (in the email I receive under 'Sender:') you see the original (non-alias) Gmail address. This does not happen with the alias set up on the BB bold under the [username]@[---].blackberry.net account. Any solution for this?
    10-07-13 06:39 AM
    You must've done something wrong. When I send an email from my alias it shows up as being from my alias acct. Did you enable that from the Gmail settings?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4
    10-07-13 12:07 PM
    I am not so sure I am doing something wrong. See gmail blog at http://http://gmailblog.blogspot.com...s-without.html stating that "Since these messages are sent by Gmail's servers but "from" a non-Gmail address, we have to include your original Gmail username in the "Sender" field of the message header to comply with mail delivery protocols and help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email programs just display the "From" address and not the "Sender" field, but some (including versions of Microsoft Outlook) show these messages as coming "From username@gmail.com On Behalf Of customaddress mydomain.com" which really annoyed people.". The Article then continues by saying: "We heard your request for another option that wouldn't show the "on behalf of" text loud and clear, and now there's a new option that does just that. Instead of using Gmail's servers to send the message, we'll use the servers where your other email address lives. Since Gmail isn't the originating domain, we don't have to include "Sender" info in the header. No more "on behalf of." This is no option for me as my organization restricts access. All this was not a problem with the previous BB option to use [name]@[provide].blackberry.net and was a main reason for me to be attached to BB. If I can not solve this, the need/desire to have a BB is gone. The gmail blog can be found here: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/0...s-without.html
    10-07-13 10:02 PM
    You must've done something wrong. When I send an email from my alias it shows up as being from my alias acct. Did you enable that from the Gmail settings?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4
    I am not sure I am doing something wrong: See gmail blog article at http://http://gmailblog.blogspot.com...s-without.html stating that: "Quite a few of you use Gmail's custom "From:" to send messages with one of your other email addresses listed in place of your Gmail address. Since these messages are sent by Gmail's servers but "from" a non-Gmail address, we have to include your original Gmail username in the "Sender" field of the message header to comply with mail delivery protocols and help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email programs just display the "From" address and not the "Sender" field, but some (including versions of Microsoft Outlook) show these messages as coming "From username@gmail.com On Behalf Of customaddress@mydomain.com" which really annoyed people.

We heard your request for another option that wouldn't show the "on behalf of" text loud and clear, and now there's a new option that does just that. Instead of using Gmail's servers to send the message, we'll use the servers where your other email address lives. Since Gmail isn't the originating domain, we don't have to include "Sender" info in the header. No more "on behalf of." However, it also recognizes (as in the case of my organisation) that We recognize that your other address might not have a server that you can use to send outbound messages — for example, if you use a forwarding alias rather than an actual mailbox, or if your other email provider doesn't support authenticated SMTP, or restricts access to specific IP ranges. For this reason, we've kept the original method as well. Conclusion, it does not seem to work for my situation. The possibility to send out emails under my organisation's email address/domain was the main reason I kept BB. This incentive no longer seems to be valid. If I am wrong, please let me know.
    10-07-13 10:09 PM
    Hi gijsjan,

You are correct that the original gmail address will be present in the headers.. people rarely look at that info, but its there.. that's because the message is being routed through gmail's smtp, so it must be stamped as such. In my experience this isn't a problem.. and it's not a function of blackberry 10.. it's just an is.. it's a function of gmail's outgoing mail server, and rightfully so. Infact the message will show up the same way even if you sent it directly from gmail.com using your alias address.

The reason this didn't happen on legacy blackberry devices, is because they didn't send out going messages over gmail's smtp.. they sent them from the BIS infrastructure.. BB10, (like all other cell phones EXCEPT legacy blackberry's i might add) connects directly to the mail server and thus follows their protocols..

That said.. there is a way around it if it's important to you.. it's a little more complex, but it can be done so long as your alias address is a real address and not just a forward with no mail box. The solution is actually referenced in the above text you quoted from the gmail blog.. that is to setup the alias in gmail to send mail over the alias smtp rather then over gmail's smtp.. it requires a bit more setup, it requires you to know the server address for the 3rd party email provider and as I said it means that other email address must actually have an smtp server.. which if it's strictly a forward, it wont.

Hope that helps.
    10-08-13 05:36 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help out. The easier option to use the send mail through the Gmail SMTP Server is not going to work for me because I realized that the way the recipient of my email (send by the alias) sees the details of the message heading with "From", or "Sender" or "Sent by" seems to depend on which email program is being used when opening/reading that email. For instance, when sending a message in gMail with my alias email address through the gMail SMTP Server, to another gMail account opened in gMail everything works very well: my alias name appears in the From field and all I see in the details is that the email was sent by gmail.com. When I send the same message to my work account, which uses Lotus Notes, the message shows my name but also very prominently Sent by: myname@gmail.com. Opening that same message in my BB Bold name@[carrier].blackberry.net email account is even worse: the From field just gives my primary Gmail address (not the alias). So, my conclusion is, it all depends which email program opens the alias message and how that program deals with the primary/alias email info. For me, this is not an acceptable solution that is going to work.
    I looked into your suggestion to send mail over the alias SMTP (my alias email is a real email address provided by my organization). The problem is that this is a large organization with very restrictive email policies. Few people are handed corporate BBs and to get approval for one is a long, and not necessarily successful process (hence my joy of using the [name@[carrier].blackberry.net] email address on my personal BB Bold from which I could easily send out emails that appeared with my organisation’s email address as the sender). I spoke to the IT department today and they let me know that the policy is to get either a company issued BB (they don’t have BB 10s) or to apply for a Lotus Notes Traveler Email Service, a push email software that gives email access to mobile devices (and which is currently only offered by my organization for use with apple and android devices). So, I tried to find the SMTP server of my organization myself. In the process I found somewhere a nice BB tool at www.blackberry.com/eavt2 to find your server settings. See Article KB33444 at KB33444-How to use the Email Account Validation Tool (EAVT)
    This tool gave me my organisation’s SMTP Server details, including the SSL and Port. But, after filling in the info in gmail to send mail over the alias smtp, it is not working for me and giving an error message: “Oops, we weren't able to finish. Please verify that you have entered the exact settings provided by your other email service. Contact your other email administrator for further details.”

I also called BB for assistance and explained them the situation. They say there is nothing they can do, that things have changed and that -----@carrier.blackberry.net is not going to come back. So, all in all, very frustrating and a reason to return the Z10 to the carrier.
    10-09-13 12:01 AM
    This guide is just amazing. Thanks a lot man.
    01-30-14 09:36 PM
    Not sure if this outdated... but i tried this... i dont get a dropdown box to "reply as"
    03-22-14 08:24 AM
    This is a great instruction except for one thing.It doesn't work. As soon as I enter the Alias in my BB10 as the email address I get the dreaded "Your login information for SMTP server [SMTP.gmail.com] has changed or is incorrect. Please check your account setting. Any ideas????
    Thanks
    Have Fun
    Tim
    05-13-14 05:58 PM
    Shows error while trying to configure. Any help did I miss anything here?

Error: your login information for imap server [imap.gmail.com] has changed or it is incorrect. Please try again

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 12:54 PM
    Sweet!!! This is even easier on outlook.com works like a charm for my needs. I only need it to send from an alias address, never send from the "created" address.
    05-22-14 01:00 PM
    Hi All,

Just want to inform, below thread may be useful for some cases on setting up an outlook.com email on BB10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-983560/

Thanks.
    01-11-15 09:07 AM
    If you already have a Gmail address (e.g. address@gmail.com) and you want another to divide up your email tasks, you can create a 2nd address (e.g. address+abc@gmail.com) and use the Send As feature with out actually creating another account. Note that the '+' symbol is required. This is sort of like an alias.

Gmail treats these as the same address on the same account. Just use filters to direct the incoming email inside Gmail and use the From drop down to pick which address emails are being sent from.

Problem on the BB is that it won't retrieve the emails sent to the alias address. I don't have a solution for that and would appreciate any suggestions. Since it is not a separate account BB can't create another email account.
    07-23-15 03:45 PM
    I was able to get this to work per the original post, using GMAIL, with one caveat. The caveat is that on the BlackBerry, you need to go into advanced setup and use IMAP as the email type rather than GMAIL.

If you use GMail, your email address in the settings will switch back to the gmail (i.e., the forward to) address and not your alias, at the end of the setup.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 11:00 AM
    Not working with yahoo email disposable addresses. Is there any way to have the option to send an emails from my disposable addresses like I have in the browser? I know that on android tablet I can use K9 email app, but what's the solution for my precious Q5,please?
    04-01-16 07:48 PM