Has anyone else experienced the following in Chinese mode. I am concerned if not addressed it could hurt Z10 sales in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China

1. In traditional Chinese mode, entering an address in Traditional Chinese lead to instant crash of the map app. Therefore the map app is effectively not usable.

2. Watching a Taiwanese Z10 demonstration on YouTube I see that one can enter Chinese characters by handwriting on the screen, just like the iPhone and Android phones. But for some reason i can't seem to see how to enable this in my Z10.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 09:21 PM
    Can you link us to the Taiwanese Z10 demonstration on YouTube?
    02-24-13 10:23 PM
    Sure.
    You need to scroll down to see the YouTube videos ; make sure you enable flash if you are on Z10 as they would otherwise be blanks.

http://3c.msn.com.tw/article/1302070018/1

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 10:47 PM
    Sorry that was the YouTube of the Z10 intro in taiwan

But where I see the hand writing demo is here
    http://www.techbang.com/posts/12244-...ntation?page=2

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 11:05 PM
    I bought my Z10 in Hong Kong a few days ago and Chinese hand writing input was not enabled out of the box. Need to add in Setting.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:05 AM
    Should add Chinese recognition works with the Map app in my Z10 too.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 07:08 AM
    Has anyone else experienced the following in Chinese mode. I am concerned if not addressed it could hurt Z10 sales in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China

1. In traditional Chinese mode, entering an address in Traditional Chinese lead to instant crash of the map app. Therefore the map app is effectively not usable.

2. Watching a Taiwanese Z10 demonstration on YouTube I see that one can enter Chinese characters by handwriting on the screen, just like the iPhone and Android phones. But for some reason i can't seem to see how to enable this in my Z10.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Have you brought the issue up to BlackBerry directly? Sounds pretty serious if the map app crashes after inputting Chinese characters.

You have to set Chinese handwriting under settings as one of your languages.
    04-07-13 12:25 AM
    I brought mine in UK, and use it in Taiwan, and the funny thing is that under Chinese mode, I can't disable the hand writing method, because I want to have english/espanol along side my usual chinese input method. Luckily, I'm very used to English mode.
    04-15-13 09:41 PM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    To enable you change "Input Languages" to Chinese from the settings. You can automatically enable full-touch screen character recognition from any app requiring text input by pressing control.
    04-17-13 11:24 AM
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Does the phone have pinyin with English letter keyboard that will output traditional Chinese character?
    04-17-13 12:36 PM
    I brought mine in UK, and use it in Taiwan, and the funny thing is that under Chinese mode, I can't disable the hand writing method, because I want to have english/espanol along side my usual chinese input method. Luckily, I'm very used to English mode.
    Press and hold the "," key, you can switch any of the three languages within a message.
    04-17-13 12:45 PM
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Does the phone have pinyin with English letter keyboard that will output traditional Chinese character?
    Yes, the PinYin input method has both traditional and simplified characters for you to pick from.
    raehon likes this.
    04-17-13 12:47 PM
    I am also a BlackBerry user from Hong Kong, I hope BlackBerry will include the canjie input method which is once available in older BlackBerry devices. It is very important to BlackBerry users in HK and the lack of it is definitely holding people in HK from buying the new BlackBerry 10. Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    SkinEgg likes this.
    04-21-13 04:49 AM
    I am also a BlackBerry user from Hong Kong, I hope BlackBerry will include the canjie input method which is once available in older BlackBerry devices. It is very important to BlackBerry users in HK and the lack of it is definitely holding people in HK from buying the new BlackBerry 10. Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Agree! Even though I have moved from HK to Canada, I still need to type Chinese messages to my relatives via Whatsapp. I used to use Changi Input Method, which is way faster than Pinyin or handwriting. Before switching to Z10 from iPhone, I used Changi more often than handwriting. It would be nice if Z10 can include Changi Input Method in the next OS upgrade.

Posted via CB10 on my adorable Z10
    04-21-13 02:45 PM
    Agree! Even though I have moved from HK to Canada, I still need to type Chinese messages to my relatives via Whatsapp. I used to use Changi Input Method, which is way faster than Pinyin or handwriting. Before switching to Z10 from iPhone, I used Changi more often than handwriting. It would be nice if Z10 can include Changi Input Method in the next OS upgrade.

Dear rtang1007,

Thanks a lot for your support, you think we have to form a petition group for changjie input?

Add my bbm pin 2AB1D904 !!

Regards from HK

Yeungyk

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 10:26 AM
    Yes, the PinYin input method has both traditional and simplified characters for you to pick from.
    Did that come standard with your phone? My Blackberry Q10 Pinyin only allows simplified Chinese characters
    05-08-13 09:53 PM
    Did that come standard with your phone? My Blackberry Q10 Pinyin only allows simplified Chinese characters
    Yes! Once you added Pinyin to your input language (even though it says Pinyin simplied), it actually show both simplified and traditional characters. For example, when I type a Pinyin, "Men", tons of Chinese characters that match up with those Pinyin, such as ?, ? , ? , ?.....will show in the suggestion bar (if too many matching words fill up the bar, an arrow is available on the far right of the bar for you to pull down for more choices). I don't know if Q10 has the same feature as the Z10 though.

05-09-13 12:00 AM
    Yes! Once you added Pinyin to your input language (even though it says Pinyin simplied), it actually show both simplified and traditional characters. For example, when I type a Pinyin, "Men", tons of Chinese characters that match up with those Pinyin, such as ?, ? , ? , ?.....will show in the suggestion bar (if too many matching words fill up the bar, an arrow is available on the far right of the bar for you to pull down for more choices). I don't know if Q10 has the same feature as the Z10 though.

Please look at this picture

05-09-13 12:07 AM
    Please look at this picture

Couldn't see the picture there for some reason but now I see it! You have to wait for the larger options menu to see all the words. I just wish they had a separate traditional pinyin and simplified pinyin so it wouldn't have this huge list of the same words But at least it has traditional! Thanks!
    05-09-13 02:13 AM
    For handwriting recogn, settings, language and input, text input section, input language, add languages, then it's on bottom. And you can read.
    05-10-13 12:39 PM
    I have the Red BB z10. STL100-3 , can not get Chinese hand writing , have followed step by step the setting and still can't get it, my software release : 10.0.9.348 , do I need an update from here , in order to get it ??
    05-11-13 02:02 AM