06-28-15 04:17 PM
166 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Jep. Like I said, already tried that. Tried several ways.

That's what I'm also wondering..

Posted via CB10
    It's bizarre...
    I'm under the impression that the sensors vanished for me from a volume button reboot (STL100-2)...
    Having said that, it appeared as if they briefly worked (at least proximity) on two or three occasions.... nothing since though...

It's weird...

I think the only people affected are the STL100-2 users, is it not? Which does not make a lot of sense as these components are shared with at least the 3 and 4 models... - and possibly the Q10 as well...

If it were a hardware failure you would not expect it to affect t such a select group - or we get a forum bias on which we only see the problems and the 10s of people here are just a tiny unlucky subset of all owners....

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:22 AM
    Hi guys, count me in to the 100-2 busted sensors club I've had this issue since 10.3, I remember that on the early leak the proximity sensor used to blink all the time, I wonder whether it could get damaged by that. I'm considering to have my Z10 warranty replaced once I've got a bit more time to deal with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:39 PM
    Hi guys, count me in to the 100-2 busted sensors club I've had this issue since 10.3, I remember that on the early leak the proximity sensor used to blink all the time, I wonder whether it could get damaged by that. I'm considering to have my Z10 warranty replaced once I've got a bit more time to deal with it.

Posted via CB10
    Well, where is the proximity sensor:
    I thought it is in the middle - BlackBerry Virtual Expert suggests it is near the LED/camera.
    That thing in the middle always blinked when on a call - i.e. when it was actively working.

Warranty could be an option if we are sure it is not user induced...
    (Wouldn't be ideal for me, I got my Z10 from O2, then unlocked it and moved to EE.... but maybe I should? Let us know what happens ).

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 12:00 AM
    Yes, I know it's supposed to blink during calls, but on the first 10.3 leak it was blinking even during regular use sometimes. I haven't seen it blink even once in a long time though

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 04:39 AM
    Same as that, it used to blink during calls and sometimes it would do it just randomly and then it stopped.

The files that people go on about, are we sure that the OS doesn't autocreate these "files" like Unix/Linux does upon a boot up when it detects items and then lists them in /proc/ ? If the sensor isn't detected or is broken then that would make perfect sense.

Another thought is that the proximity sensor is quite sensitive (excuse the pun) and could possibly be damaged by a magnet. I wonder if my Playbook damaged my Z10 as I used to place the Z10 on it when locked and screen off and then it would magically wake up the screen.

Just musing...
    06-25-14 04:45 AM
    Same as that, it used to blink during calls and sometimes it would do it just randomly and then it stopped.

The files that people go on about, are we sure that the OS doesn't autocreate these "files" like Unix/Linux does upon a boot up when it detects items and then lists them in /proc/ ? If the sensor isn't detected or is broken then that would make perfect sense.

Another thought is that the proximity sensor is quite sensitive (excuse the pun) and could possibly be damaged by a magnet. I wonder if my Playbook damaged my Z10 as I used to place the Z10 on it when locked and screen off and then it would magically wake up the screen.

Just musing...
    The official holsters use magnets - have for ages, Pearl 8120, Bold 9900, Z10 - the sensor is immune to a magnet.
    06-25-14 04:46 AM
    Hmm, no contact email for BB? I have sent them a query on twitter... (with links to this thread)
    Let us see what happens.
    06-25-14 04:50 AM
    Count me in to the 100-2 busted sensors club.

I downgraded to 10.2.1.2228 to fix this issue but it dont work

I checked :/dev/sensor many file in that folder
    BBVE reported FAIL proximity sensor and light sensor.

Update: replace screen can fix this?
    06-25-14 08:56 AM
    Count me in to the 100-2 busted sensors club.

I downgraded to 10.2.1.2228 to fix this issue but it dont work

I checked :/dev/sensor many file in that folder
    BBVE reported FAIL proximity sensor and light sensor.

Update: replace screen can fix this?
    No idea....
    Try resending this tweet to BlackBerry...

https://twitter.com/DetlevCM/status/481736011488452608

Content:

@BlackBerry Any idea why some people have dead sensors? (Z10)
    http://t.co/FpMDHSLESC
    http://t.co/tqB3Xw9UTz

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 09:38 AM
    Commented on it.

I trust there will be no reply.

I wantz more BlackBerry goodness!
    06-26-14 12:04 AM
    Commented on it.

I trust there will be no reply.

I wantz more BlackBerry goodness!
    I saw it, thanks.
    I suspect once enough people.ask about it they will have to reply .
    Having said that, I don't appreciate their approach to direct people to twitter or the forums for problems...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 01:19 AM
    Count me in. Z10 STL2.

For me the issue occurred on one of the latest 10.2. Leaks. I was hoping for a fix coming along with the 10.2.1 branch but till today nothing happened.

Some month ago I talked to BlackBerry about the issue via twitter (DM), their "advice" told me to reach out to my carrier. I couldn't believe that BlackBerry gave me such a useless advice....

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 02:20 AM
    Count me in. Z10 STL2.

For me the issue occurred on one of the latest 10.2. Leaks. I was hoping for a fix coming along with the 10.2.1 branch but till today nothing happened.

Some month ago I talked to BlackBerry about the issue via twitter (DM), their "advice" told me to reach out to my carrier. I couldn't believe that BlackBerry gave me such a useless advice....

Posted via CB10
    Well, in Europe, your seller is the first line of warranty support - they give you a two year warranty by law.
    Having said that, if I went to O2 I would at best get a locked device that is of no use on T-Mobile/EE aus have since switched carriers.

Also: what about people who buy the device outright? They do not have any device support from their carrier.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 02:45 AM
    Anybody brave enough to consider explicitly voiding their warranty?
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Blac...Teardown/13445

Looks like at least the light sensor can be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 02:51 AM
    Right, but it seemed to be clear that it was a software/Firmware issue as I wasn't the only one with the sensor problems at that time. However even after the server based sensor calibration fix was out, it they came alive again...sad times for our Z10s...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:33 AM
    Right, but it seemed to be clear that it was a software/Firmware issue as I wasn't the only one with the sensor problems at that time. However even after the server based sensor calibration fix was out, it they came alive again...sad times for our Z10s...

Posted via CB10
    That was (or not?) a different issue - the question is if this time round it is related or not - and we just don't know...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 04:45 AM
    Yes, you are right, we don't know whether or not it is a different issue. I just wanted to provide as much information as possible about how the problem came up to me. For now we can only collect all the data from everybody whose phone is affected and wait till someone recognizes a pattern...Or until BlackBerry sees enough demand to demand to further investigate...

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 06:16 AM
    Yes, you are right, we don't know whether or not it is a different issue. I just wanted to provide as much information as possible about how the problem came up to me. For now we can only collect all the data from everybody whose phone is affected and wait till someone recognizes a pattern...Or until BlackBerry sees enough demand to demand to further investigate...

Posted via CB10
    I actually wonder of anybody has priced any other issues?
    I believe I had a couple of reboots recently - not sure if they were battery fit related (which is one cause which I had experience before).

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 08:27 AM
    I think, replace is best method for this problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 05:48 AM
    Had the sensor replaced and now working so it's coincidental

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 07:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Which sensor? Light or proximity? It's pretty odd that everyone here got the two of them busted... Could it be some manufacturing fault?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 11:16 AM
    Which sensor? Light or proximity? It's pretty odd that everyone here got the two of them busted... Could it be some manufacturing fault?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure but it may be the same unit/board.
    But it does seem odd that this is so specific... STL100-2 only...

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, good to know.
    I got curious and opened the back - I don't think I could reach the sensors, but I replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 - my phone feels cooler now? ...

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:09 PM
    Recently, i try re-install 10.3.0.700, my sensor (proximity and light) worked.
    But now, it dont work.
    I dont understand

what the h*** is going on Blackberry ???

06-27-14 01:01 PM
    Recently, i try re-install 10.3.0.700, my sensor (proximity and light) worked.
    But now, it dont work.
    I dont understand

what the h*** is going on Blackberry ???

Not sure if it's a lose connection or what not, I just know it went for repair and came back working with no OS change.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 01:14 PM
166 ... 23456 ...