02-04-15 02:02 PM
125 ... 345
tools
    I think the element of surprise is also important. You wouldn't want the other team to know what play you'll be running when the game is on the line, right?

Z10 STL100-2 / running official 10.2.1.3247
    08-07-14 06:59 PM
    The biggest problem with leaks is that they generate chatter. Incomplete features draw fire. Changed implementations draw fire. It becomes a massive trolling opportunity.

THAT'S why Chen wanted to limit the leaks.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    I disagree. You don't see tech blogs rifting on about leaks for blackberry or problems etc with them. That is all contained in the various forums. Probs people have with leaks are within the "community". So no need for that kind of chatter.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:57 PM
    Take away the term leak and put the beta tag on these, and people will still be talking on "these fourms" that it's incomplete etc. Knowing damn well that it is a beta.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 08:00 PM
    I think the element of surprise is also important. You wouldn't want the other team to know what play you'll be running when the game is on the line, right?

Z10 STL100-2 / running official 10.2.1.3247
    I would still like a full dev preview just like iOS8 and Android L. That would make me happy.
    08-07-14 09:48 PM
    Leaks are fun. I used one before 10.2.1 came out. It was great but then when the actual release came out I was excepting a few changes but it was pretty much the same as the leaked version so I was a little disappointed. I have decided to wait like everyone else, something to look forward too.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 10:35 PM
    But, say, if the new white-list leak-stopping protocol is so perfect, how did 10.3.0.296 leak out? Can we use that exploit again, i.e. ZonaBB?

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    If I remember correctly, good old social engineering. No real way to stop that.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-08-14 12:25 AM
    From a developers perspective I find this very disappointing.

The developer OS they gave us devours my Z10 battery... I'm lucky if it makes 8 hours... If i leave my phone unplugged at night I wake up to be greeted with a dead battery... YAY!!!! (its really that bad) that's just pathetic but in order to keep Built For Blackberry status by making sure my apps stay up to date and functional with their new OS versions then I have to deal with the only battery eating OS they've allowed us.

Thanks Mr. Chen!

Update: Aside from just the battery life there were many other issues with .700 for instance the orientation wasn't even working correctly which is necessary to develop proper apps. The unfortunate part is, I bet it's been working in some of the newer revisions they have but aren't willing to share with the people who are working on populating their app store
    Last edited by textngo; 08-08-14 at 10:13 AM.
    Doggerz and Paisley Pirate like this.
    08-08-14 09:35 AM

The developer OS they gave us devours my Z10 battery... I'm lucky if it makes 8 hours... If i leave my phone unplugged at night I wake up to be greeted with a dead battery... YAY!!!! (its really that bad) that's just pathetic but in order to keep Built For Blackberry status by making sure my apps stay up to date and functional with their new OS versions then I have to deal with the only battery eating OS they've allowed us.

Thanks Mr. Chen!
    Developer OSs are intended for devices plugged into a computer 24/7, not daily drivers. If you only have the one phone, the simulator is a better option.

Posted via CB10
    olaf_d likes this.
    08-08-14 09:37 AM
    The simulator is impossible for me to use on my major apps.

That aside,
    I really feel they've been pushing away from developers. especially when it comes to giving us useful things(or even things that have been asked for repeatedly) instead of whatever they feel we need. And then their newest VP of "Developer Relations" is nice enough to just ignore people cause ya' know that's the cool thing to do nowadays.
    08-08-14 09:52 AM

Thanks Mr. Chen!
    I had the same problem on 700, then 297 probe with the radius and improved slightly but still remained high battery consumption, until finally Radio 441 and install my Z10 is running excellent Thurask very grateful to you for taking the time to give us the OS, radio, and bar files, all in one place, thank you very much Thurask
    08-08-14 09:54 AM
    No more leak I guess they start closed beta in beta zone

* crying*

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 10:06 AM
    No more leak I guess they start closed beta in beta zone

* crying*

Posted via CB10
    Ahh they did? I got an email and had to do a survey to test their products but never got anything back

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 10:16 AM
    Ahh they did? I got an email and had to do a survey to test their products but never got anything back

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=949040

People got it

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 10:18 AM
    Ahh thought I was special doing that survey haha

I guess they didn't select me after the survey. Maybe because I said I was a student lol

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 10:22 AM

Thanks Mr. Chen!

Update: Aside from just the battery life there were many other issues with .700 for instance the orientation wasn't even working correctly which is necessary to develop proper apps. The unfortunate part is, I bet it's been working in some of the newer revisions they have but aren't willing to share with the people who are working on populating their app store
    I for one don't consider Chen the Christ figure others here do. He's made poor decisions when it comes to anything to do with relationships whether it's relating to consumers by advertising or relating to John Legere or relating to the USA in general. He just writes people off and that's it.

Maybe he will change when Passport is released. If I see any ads I'll be impressed.

Of all his choices, making someone like you feel like you do is the worst. He should do everything and anything to help developers create good quality apps. He should be building relationships with companies for a native apps. If he can't do it be should find a people person to be in charge of these areas.

But hey - what do I know. I just know that as a consumer he doesn't give a crap about me. At least I can talk to Legere on Twitter or get TMobile help on twitter. What would it cost for BlackBerry to have someone there?

I just had to say something when you thanked Chen. . I felt that.

And you're right about the battery life too. I cringed when Chen called iPhone people wall huggers because I thought of my experience with the Z10.

I used to get 2-4 hours per battery and carry 4 batteries with me. It was just a hassle taking off my protector and then cover and then reset the phone. Etc.

Thanks for caring enough to vent your frustration. And for at least trying to help BBW.

Peace.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3253 / T-Mobile USA
    08-08-14 02:54 PM
    Chen sounds exactly like Leo Apotheker, the guy who killed webOS ( ) and almost took all of HP down as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 12:03 PM
    I think china is the last.....

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 01:00 PM
    wouldn't have been hard to achieve from a high-profile guy like Chen

"any leak and you will be fireddddd!!!"

08-15-14 05:47 AM
    People are stupid for saying that it's good for BlackBerry.

Microsoft rolls out betas for Windows.
    Apple has beta runs for iOS
    Doom is entering beta in a few weeks.

Beta software is a beautiful thing. You take the small handful of people who are willing to deal with the quirks and potential issues of a piece of beta software, let them figure out what is problematic, and fix it before you release the software to the masses.

If Chen would set up a beta testing community for BlackBerry 10, none of the stupid issues would sneak past quality control because we would have already dug them up.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about the rest, but as an Apple [Mac] beta tester the "community" is more interested in improving the product than simply having the latest first. Apple also kinda wants beta testers to know a little code, but it is not required.

Look at the BB10 users here: many will not install leaks, some only the most bug free, and others who install every leak as if it were their birthright. And far too many BB10 users install leaks only to cry and moan all day long that this is broken and that does not work and so on. Flame me if you want, I just do not think that the typical Crackberry user would make a good beta tester.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-15-14 07:29 AM
    Chen sounds exactly like Leo Apotheker, the guy who killed webOS ( ) and almost took all of HP down as well.

Posted via CB10
    I can also smell some similarities, but he is not exactly like Leo. Updates are rolling out, and BB10 is improving . Maybe Chen's focus on corporate can be successful but every time he mention it I remeber Leo's focus on enterprise and how it went. At least, I'm glad Chen is not doubling down on BB10.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Paisley Pirate and Uzi like this.
    08-16-14 05:14 AM
    Mr Chen has done some things that are ok. Some things that are not so ok. And some things that are downright stupid in my not so humble opinion.

The biggest problem with "leaks" - is THE NAME. Call them "open beta", call them "release candidate", call them something else that sounds better... leak implies that they affect the integrity of the OS... we pretty much know that this is NOT the case. The only part of the leak is that they had to come from inside BBRY because THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET INTO THE OS. You can't "jailbreak" or "root" your OS and thereby open it up to malware - every last one of those OS changes are signed off by someone in BBRY for testing. So, by changing the nomenclature, we changed the perception. Quit calling them LEAKS...

One other thing that Chen seems to have had a big miss on - "business people" are PEOPLE... they are consumers, they want what they see other people using. YOU have to get your phone out in the world and let them get seen. BBRY has done a **** poor marketing job - and they basically let Apple and android run over them in the phone companies... it IS about the numbers- you have to get a large enough base on with phones to get people to want to use phones... the enterprise back end is not that large a market (as others have already stated) I know the college where I work and attend walked away from even attempting an enterprise solution because BBRY couldn't keep up (several years ago) so now they just let everyone bring their own and hope they can tie into the MSO server... because they don't think they need the kind of security that a BBRY enterprise system would afford them - or they keep that stuff off individual phones in the first place. And I know a lot of companies won't spend to move back on since it just isn't where the security problems come in at... there are other, bigger, holes to worry about. Thinking that this backend stuff will pay the bills... I don't see it, and I haven't seen it... and understand, I am studying computer security as it relates to industry (as an automation technology student) right now.
    I've said it before and I'll say it now - as a sales guy who went back to school because I am done (but went out of sales winning) - you have to put phones in peoples hands... Give the SALES people at the various phone stores a $20 spiff for each BB10 they sell and watch the numbers of sales soar. Seriously.

Also, for the person who said the SDKs were designed to keep the phone chained to a computer 24/7... no. That's not how software dev on a portable device should work. You have to be able to take the running device out in the wild and see that it works when you get away from the wi-fi and cord. If you don't, you are begging for blowups if it fails the instant you untether it from the mothership PC. What you are describing might as well be a simulator on the PC... because that's all you are doing by extension. Sorry, I've worked around product development (not in software, but in hard parts) and you don't know what's going to fail until you let it stand on it's own. I agree completely with the dev who was griping about battery life... while I must point out I haven't had that much problem with my Z10 on .700 - I also am very light on the wi-fi and BT with it, so I wonder if it's a radio thing? So they can make sure you get connectivity with your devices while developing software? Which, again, doesn't make sense, because you could develop something that is pushing the envelope, then, when the actual OS comes out, they "turned down" the radios, and boom, failures.
    08-16-14 09:53 AM
    How about a touch screen Passport with an even bigger screen due to the keypad not being required??

Savvas John Savva, Owner of Skill 7 Youth Football Coaching - www.skill7.org - Z10 UK EE
    08-17-14 04:02 AM
    How about a touch screen Passport with an even bigger screen due to the keypad not being required??

Savvas John Savva, Owner of Skill 7 Youth Football Coaching - Skill 7 - Youth Sports Coaching - Football Coaching - Z10 UK EE
    How about staying on the thread subject?
    08-17-14 05:40 AM
    aaaahhhgg, Ms. Chenchen..........dissapointing
    08-17-14 09:08 AM
    If you don't love leaks then you don't love BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I love leaks and I love BlackBerry. This doesn't mean I feel "entitled" to leaks.
    02-04-15 02:02 PM
125 ... 345