02-04-15 02:02 PM
125 ... 2345
tools
    Seriously?

It's bad enough when people believe they have rights to leaks, but now we have people who use them and think they're part of some elite team and that BlackBerry cares about their feedback... they don't.

Nobody in their right mind would sort through this mess of a forum to find bugs.

Your delusions of grandeur aren't cute.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Apollo_IV; 08-05-14 at 05:31 PM.
    08-05-14 02:29 PM
    That depends how you look at it. The way I see it is if he had kept down the consumer path he would have had to spend a lot of money in advertising phones which need 10.3.1 before consumers can take them seriously. Wait for the Amazon app store. Then it's a consumer ready phone.

At this point I think the hardware business will continue to slowly climb and find its way back to consumers with Amazon's help as well as through simply becoming ever more complete. Once that happens it will drive native development.

It's the only way BlackBerry can break their catch 22 with as little cash at their disposal as they have.

Posted via CB10
    I don't buy this toxic assumption that BlackBerry has so little game that it only made sense to flee the consumer market. BlackBerry only needed to run profitably and capture market share, not run Google and Apple out of town. I have to believe that BlackBerry could have gotten 1 out of 20 smartphone shoppers to buy BlackBerry, which is 5% share of that period. Windows Phone has like 2.7%, and that OS isn't what BB10 is.

I'm only a journeyman BlackBerry user, but a power Android user and jailbreak-qualified iOS user. BB10 is pretty good, and keeps my sim card in my Z30 instead of my HTC One m7. Definitely good enough that BlackBerry should field an all-touch flagship and contest the consumer-side battle space, which is where nearly all the money is. Enterprise alone is too small an addressable market, meaning it's slow death, and you need consumer-side offerings to be strong to sell to most enterprise buyers anyway.

We'll see how much the Amazon deal helps beef up the consumer side, but I doubt it was worth dissing our native developers when we could already download the Amazon app store anyway.

I think Chen means to sell BlackBerry after he increases its curb appeal as much as possible. His blas attitude towards devices tells me that smartphones are an afterthought that he can take or leave.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    08-05-14 04:39 PM
    Maybe the launch was flubbed, but the North America consumer market made it obvious there is no reason to pursue them.

Keeping and grooming the enterprise market and developing emerging markets are a solid strategy.

For those consumers that are caught in between and want BlackBerry to wow you right now, sorry. I hope you stay with us but they don't have the resources or time to do that other than basic support and a few new devices maybe.

Once that core strategy takes hold and pays off, and BlackBerry is taken off life support, we may see more fun. But it will be a long wait.

Right now I'm glad the doors are still open.

And I have two very solid devices with a very good 10.2 maturation. Too bad a few bugs remain, but 10.2 is so much better now and pretty stable.

10.3 wasn't designed for current devices. We may be able to play with it some more. That will be great.

But this is a crucial transitional period to the new look, devices, and enhanced strategies.

So I'm not gonna be upset because the glory days of autoloaders every few weeks and "threads gone wild" aren't happening right now.

And don't kid yourself about BlackBerry not looking at this site or some of the feedback. They are. Or at least were. If nothing else by word of mouth.

Look how quickly the Porsche Design clock thing was locked down.

Whatever Chen is doing right now is working. The stock price has been rising again and they are getting news buzz. This is good.

I'm rambling. Never mind. I had a point but lost it. Good discussion by a lot of you above me though. Good thread!

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    08-05-14 07:47 PM
    This thread is getting more interesting. First is whether leak is good or bad for BB. Now it seems discussion is going towards whether BB should've or should have not left the consumer space.

Z10 STL100-2 / running official 10.2.1.3247
    08-05-14 08:12 PM
    We want leaks! I wonder where my favorite CB for will be next year..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3253 CB10
    08-05-14 08:54 PM
    I don't know if leaks are good or bad for BlackBerry, I just know I'm going through withdrawals! Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 09:28 PM
    No he shouldn't...I have nothing against leaks but they tarnish the image of the company... haven't heard or seen iOS or Android leaking out before their launch dates (correct me if I'm wrong)... a leak may help with testing and feedback, but that's not how the company under Chen functions and we need to respect that.

Posted via CB10
    iOS and Android has leak through it SDK and it's from day one, if these two giants can share developer leaks then why this "near to die" brand keeping it safe for its funeral.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 10:52 PM
    Well, one leak slipped... it was that memo about the lay offs being over...

08-05-14 11:44 PM
    Well, one leak slipped... it was that memo about the lay offs being over...

Moreover accidently on purpose ...

Z10 - 10.3.0.700 w/ .296
    08-06-14 07:50 AM
    What's a leak? Lol

As sad as I am regarding the lack of leaks, it's better for business. How many time did we see people come to the forum saying they updated and that it was buggy, then to find out that they are on a leak?

It's also much better for the image of BlackBerry, leaks just show how your employees don't follow the leadership.

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-06-14 08:32 AM
    What's a leak? Lol

As sad as I am regarding the lack of leaks, it's better for business. How many time did we see people come to the forum saying they updated and that it was buggy, then to find out that they are on a leak?

It's also much better for the image of BlackBerry, leaks just show how your employees don't follow the leadership.

Posted via CB10
    Although neither of us have real stats to back up our positions, my impression is that leaks can't really hurt business.

First, leaks have generally solved more problems than they have introduced. Some people have actually stayed on the platform because important issues were resolved long before official updates were available.

Second, leaks would generally improve the situation with "complainers". For instance, we have a whole bunch of newbies installing Dev OSes. They would have been much better off with a full leak (imagine if 10.3.0.698 was out there in addition to 10.3.0.700 dev).

Third, as I've mentioned before, the cat is usually out of the bag (in terms of new features) long before leaks make their appearance. Early dev OSes spill the beans already from a competitive standpoint.

Forth, the actually number of people installing leaks are quite few (relatively speaking) - mostly hackers and enthusiasts. But these are the people you want to have continually engaged in the platform.

I simply don't see a major downside.

Just my thoughts.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    Doggerz and geodorn like this.
    08-06-14 09:28 AM
    Might as well close this section to the site. I can't stop myself from checking everyday, only to be greeted with disappointment. Smh. Maybe I'm going crazy. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg, inked18 and tigrute like this.
    08-06-14 06:39 PM
    Might as well close this section to the site. I can't stop myself from checking everyday, only to be greeted with disappointment. Smh. Maybe I'm going crazy. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Posted via CB10
    Feel your pain and I do the same thing. I love BBRY and my Z10, but have this sick feeling that I may have to move on to a crappy Android or Windows phone (iphone is definitely out). at some point as my carrier of choice corporately, AT&T, simply doesn't support BB devices. I will hold on to my Z10 as long as possible but a leak would sure be nice to keep me interested in the platform.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    coldfir3 likes this.
    08-06-14 10:34 PM
    Leaks are great but do you not appreciate the platform for the unique and robust experience it is?

Is it an OCD thing?

Must be. I get it. I was way addicted to loading new OS all the time.

But to toss it just because you can't do that?

There's this thing called the law of diminishing returns.

Reflashing the device all the time does shorten it's overall life span as well, even if it is miniscule.

I'm rambling again. I tend to do that.

Posted via CB10
    Bilaal likes this.
    08-06-14 11:40 PM
    Feel your pain and I do the same thing. I love BBRY and my Z10, but have this sick feeling that I may have to move on to a crappy Android or Windows phone (iphone is definitely out). at some point as my carrier of choice corporately, AT&T, simply doesn't support BB devices. I will hold on to my Z10 as long as possible but a leak would sure be nice to keep me interested in the platform.

As much as I hate the fact that we haven't had a full leak in a min, I could never leave bb10. It's just crazy to see something that was around for so long, gone just like that. I've been loading leaks since my 9000 days goddammit! Chen, I respect your decision man but you gotta understand, the community LOVES this, BlackBerry benefits from this!!

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    08-07-14 12:31 AM
    As much as I hate the fact that we haven't had a full leak in a min, I could never leave bb10. It's just crazy to see something that was around for so long, gone just like that. I've been loading leaks since my 9000 days goddammit! Chen, I respect your decision man but you gotta understand, the community LOVES this, BlackBerry benefits from this!!

Posted via CB10
    It's less about the lack of leaks and more about the fact I can't buy devices such as the Z30 at AT&T. Leaks just keep me engaged as I restlessly await something new from BB at AT&T. And I prefer all touch. No classic or passport.

mania626 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    08-07-14 06:48 AM
    It's less about the lack of leaks and more about the fact I can't buy devices such as the Z30 at AT&T. Leaks just keep me engaged as I restlessly await something new from BB at AT&T. And I prefer all touch. No classic or passport.

This ^

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:17 AM
    Why we need leaks, because there is no True beta program before official release. The builds almost for the carrier, and they leaks them. If is getting good, it becomes a official release, but not, it will be a beta. All customers are confused it, that is main reason I hate leaks. I need in real beta program from BB.
    08-07-14 07:58 AM
    The biggest problem with leaks is that they generate chatter. Incomplete features draw fire. Changed implementations draw fire. It becomes a massive trolling opportunity.

THAT'S why Chen wanted to limit the leaks.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    m1kr0 likes this.
    08-07-14 09:28 AM
    The biggest problem with leaks is that they generate chatter. Incomplete features draw fire. Changed implementations draw fire. It becomes a massive trolling opportunity.

THAT'S why Chen wanted to limit the leaks.

Yes, but chatter between who? We are a tiny community of enthusiasts here and don't amount to a hill of beans to the overall plan.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    Doggerz likes this.
    08-07-14 09:31 AM
    Yes, but chatter between who? We are a tiny community of enthusiasts here and don't amount to a hill of beans to the overall plan.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    Chatter between haters. Gives them more ammo to fire at BlackBerry.

m1kr0 and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-07-14 10:28 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    There's all kinds of stuff that shows up in the press off of the leaks. Features become public before they're completely implemented.

Bottom line: leaks increase the "attack surface" for criticism.

rizdragon likes this.
    08-07-14 11:33 AM
    What a waste of bandwidth.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 12:09 PM
    Memo has leaked 😁
    Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk
    08-07-14 03:11 PM
    There's all kinds of stuff that shows up in the press off of the leaks. Features become public before they're completely implemented.

Bottom line: leaks increase the "attack surface" for criticism.

No way! BlackBerry is not being attacked for its leaks. No tech media attackers ever mention BlackBerry leaks as a reason to avoid the brand. In fact, I've never seen any attack on BlackBerry because of leaks other than, of course, a few Chen lovers on Crackberry who seek to justify his decision to kill our fun.

We need a beta program, but Pappa Chen has failed to provide. So now we're begging for a new leak. All Chen has to do is get out of our way and release the leaks!

But, say, if the new white-list leak-stopping protocol is so perfect, how did 10.3.0.296 leak out? Can we use that exploit again, i.e. ZonaBB?

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    tw820 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    08-07-14 04:39 PM
125 ... 2345