09-27-16 01:04 AM
103 ... 2345
tools
    Yeah, we wish!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-16 09:21 AM
    I haven't done a "clean" install since switching to BB10, nor used an autoloader in about a year. I think this "solution" is more placebo than reality. I'm not rebuilding my auto text, nor giving up my browser bookmarks, each of which is about 1,000. What is the particular issue? I've found a nondestructive downgrade/upgrade will typically resolve buggy behavior.
    Device freezes when opening apps... not all the time but frequently enough to drive up the wall sometimes. Bb10 cascades apps included. It'll completely freeze for ~15 seconds and then when it unfreezes all the screen actions I do since the moment it froze catch up nearly at once, sometimes resulting in unwanted apps starting up, or unintended scrolling occurring.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 12:17 AM
    There's no such thing as personal responsibility, and the old adage buyer beware ceases to exist. I *echem* love this lesson! Do ya have any more?
    That's a real bad attitude you've got there. I hope you don't run a business.
    09-19-16 05:18 AM
    That's a free lesson for today.

Since when is snarky not attitude?

There's a big difference between how I take care of my customers, and how I respond to someone's hypothetical, playing the customer out as a victim, due to their own ignorance. I bend over backwards, but "the customer is always right", only works most of the time. Even if you treat them like they are, it doesn't mean you don't shake your head in disbelief when they leave.
    09-19-16 01:57 PM
    No communication means a lack of respect for users. Kind of like not giving press conferences then wanting us to vote. As much as I am a BB fan, I would rather know the ugly truth, than be dangled along on a hook. Hope either Sailfish or Ubuntu mature enough by the time my Passport dies.
    moyah8 likes this.
    09-19-16 02:22 PM

Since when is snarky not attitude?

There's a big difference between how I take care of my customers, and how I respond to someone's hypothetical, playing the customer out as a victim, due to their own ignorance. I bend over backwards, but "the customer is always right", only works most of the time. Even if you treat them like they are, it doesn't mean you don't shake your head in disbelief when they leave.
    So you'll take $500 off them (btw, that's what the Classic is selling for in the UK, while in the U.S. it is just $385) and turn round and blame them for the fact that you won't be giving them cross-platform BBM, even although you gave that to Android and iPhone users for free?

BTW, I take it you won't offer to tell them that Whatsapp will stop working on their brand new $500 phone in three months' time, and blame it on them for not reading Crackberry.com before turning the cash over?
    09-19-16 03:06 PM
    So you'll take $500 off them (btw, that's what the Classic is selling for in the UK, while in the U.S. it is just $385) and turn round and blame them for the fact that you won't be giving them cross-platform BBM, even although you gave that to Android and iPhone users for free?

BTW, I take it you won't offer to tell them that Whatsapp will stop working on their brand new $500 phone in three months' time, and blame it on them for not reading Crackberry.com before turning the cash over?
    What is your business model to sell these remaining devices?

"Hi, please buy this phone. Btw, it has limited app support (shocker), and is missing many modern features. Oh, come to think of it, maybe you should buy something else."
    BigBadWulf and moyah8 like this.
    09-19-16 03:19 PM

"Hi, please buy this phone. Btw, it has limited app support (shocker), and is missing many modern features. Oh, come to think of it, maybe you should buy something else."
    I agree with most of what you're saying, although I personally don't see what modern features are missing. I have a few minor things that I miss which mostly boil down to missing a few app shortcuts on my Passport (for example, press L to refresh the weather in the Weather app). But for me it's 99.9% complete and modern. There's also a few things BB10 has that are still ahead of its time although admittedly the gap is getting smaller.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red)
    BigBadWulf and moyah8 like this.
    09-19-16 04:45 PM
    I agree with most of what you're saying, although I personally don't see what modern features are missing. I have a few minor things that I miss which mostly boil down to missing a few app shortcuts on my Passport (for example, press L to refresh the weather in the Weather app). But for me it's 99.9% complete and modern. There's also a few things BB10 has that are still ahead of its time although admittedly the gap is getting smaller.

BB is good at writing off hardware. If they were only as good at marketing
    09-19-16 05:15 PM
    I'm starting to think that autoloaders and Blitz installations are the reason people need to run a clean install of BB10.

I've never used an autoloader on my Passport and have never ran into the same issues that I did on my Q10 that has received destructive and non-destructive update installations.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ιт > 
    I use Sachesi. I never got the Linux version working. The windows version is fine. All it really needs is better instructions.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 05:19 PM

Well, this is a bit tangential to the discussion, and I really don't want to push this thread any further off the rails than it already is.

But I was referring to modern features like Android Pay, Google Cloud Print, built-in remote server access, custom launchers, widgets, Chromecast, Google Now, smart lock, live wallpapers, multi-user support, cloud backup, etc, etc.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-19-16 05:21 PM

I understand that they can't do that ... but to sell these devices at full price when they are on the verge of being EOL'd is just dishonest.

They've said that they are committed to BB10 when they clearly aren't. It's the ambiguity that borders on downright lying.

And also, since BB10 users can still buy BBM stickers and subscriptions, why shouldn't they get updates to BBM to allow cross-platform video calls and all the rest?
    09-19-16 05:52 PM
    I understand that they can't do that ... but to sell these devices at full price when they are on the verge of being EOL'd is just dishonest.

They've said that they are committed to BB10 when they clearly aren't. It's the ambiguity that borders on downright lying.

And also, since BB10 users can still buy BBM stickers and subscriptions, why shouldn't they get updates to BBM to allow cross-platform video calls and all the rest?
    I'm still fairly confident that the vast majority of people who purchase a BB10 device now know exactly what they are getting into. The picture of the unsuspecting innocent smartphone buyer happening across a BlackBerry kiosk and buying one just doesn't ring true to me.
    BigBadWulf, Vistaus and moyah8 like this.
    09-19-16 06:08 PM

Yes

Now, can we get back on topic?
    09-19-16 07:36 PM
    Well, this is a bit tangential to the discussion, and I really don't want to push this thread any further off the rails than it already is.

But I was referring to modern features like Android Pay, Google Cloud Print, built-in remote server access, custom launchers, widgets, Chromecast, Google Now, smart lock, live wallpapers, multi-user support, cloud backup, etc, etc.
    Some of these things, like widgets, cloud backup and smart lock for example, can be added with 3rd party apps from BlackBerry World.
    But not everyone needs all of those features. A lot of modern features aren't even used, look at iOS surveys: more than half of the people don't even use all of the extra iOS features.
    I'm 24 years old but I also don't see the benefit of most of the things you mention. Only cloud backup is a really great thing for me for which I use the Connect to OneDrive app.

But you're right, this if off topic. I'll re-focus on the topic.

09-19-16 11:51 PM
    Yes

back on topic?

Yeah, 10.3.3 won't keep anyone happy unless it includes something meaningful such as what I have been discussing above (on topic)

I'll be looking forward to taunting all the BlackBerry Android users when Chen stops patching their devices because it's not in the shareholders' interests to do so.
    09-20-16 04:59 AM
    Yes

You're exactly the kind of person I'd run a mile from before doing any business with ...

No wonder BB went down the pan!
    09-20-16 05:19 AM
    You're exactly the kind of person I'd run a mile from before doing any business with ...

So customers have a license to eat glue instead of wondering what they'll get into with their purchase. Good to know.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-20-16 09:28 AM
    To the average user--no. Unless there are some browser updates of any sort.
    There would HAVE to be a browser update for me to want to use bb10 all the time again. As long as my browser worked me and bb10 got along great. I probably wouldn't shelve my priv if they did update it but I wouldn't have bought a priv when I did had it been working

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    09-20-16 10:03 AM
    back on topic?

Yeah, 10.3.3 won't keep anyone happy unless it includes something meaningful such as what I have been discussing above (on topic)

I'll be looking forward to taunting all the BlackBerry Android users when Chen stops patching their devices because it's not in the shareholders' interests to do so.
    I really hope you find better things to do. Maybe take up jogging...

This may come as a shock to you, but I don't work for BlackBerry. I will however, make one last attempt to explain, since my answer was curt, and then I'm through with this tangent. You want to carry on, start a thread and PM me a link.

The Classic is a two year old phone, in a market that is flooded with devices of various specs. Anyone shopping for a cellphone, who doesn't do any research, is naive or buying the latest/greatest. The likelihood one would buy a Classic with blinders on is minuscule. The Classic is a nitch device. It has no competition, unless you include other BlackBerry models. It was designed for the professional. These people know what they want, period. Because it's a unique product, BlackBerry recognizes it can, and should charge a premium for it. Any business in it's right mind would do the same. It's the kind of item that would move the same volume, regardless of price (within reason). So yes, I would leave it to the consumer to decide whether the Classic is right for them, based on all the information out there, on CrackBerry, and a myriad of other places any search engine will instantly pull up. It's pricing is the law of supply and demand. Business 101 as you say "free lesson for today".

There would HAVE to be a browser update for me to want to use bb10 all the time again. As long as my browser worked me and bb10 got along great. I probably wouldn't shelve my priv if they did update it but I wouldn't have bought a priv when I did had it been working

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    There will be a browser update, some information of which has been shared in this thread and elsewhere on the site. I too have been anxiously awaiting the OS release for it, but understand it will have to wait for the certification to complete. A bummer, but a reality we must either endure, or give up on. Considering all the other issues we BB10 faithful have learned to live with, this is one I can apply patience to, as it truly shall pass.
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-20-16 08:00 PM
    I'll tell you what their business model for the remaining BB10 devices should have been. Simple, honest, fair to the faithful fans and possibly generating future revenue with very little cost.

The 10.3.3 should have been officially designated as last relevant OS update. That one guy left working in the basement should have had enough time since last year's announcement to implement only the few little changes to the OS just to keep people happy. I mean if they have him working on NIAP it wouldn't take too much to just code a few little improvements that people ask for ages. How much work would it take to make "select all" option available in File Manager. Dark bloody hub - shouldn't be too hard (I don't care personally), integrate BBM better in the hub, some calendar tweaks that's been asked for delete incoming email straight from notification pop-up and other small fixes.
    Then release that bloody OS and press release saying "We have implemented most of the changes we could as requested by our beloved fans. This one is for you. We have fixed over 30 bugs and implemented 10 most requested features. This is the last "big" update of the OS, but we are committed to push relevant security updates in the future. Meanwhile we are working hard to bring most of the features of BB10 to our new Android handsets.

I wouldn't have mind at all to see a message like that. And would consider one of their new Android offerings in the future. Instead I feel left out, deceived and quite frankly they don't deserve my money anymore for how they treat their fans.

You think it's impossible for corporation to behave that way?
    Look up what Nokia did when they abandoned MeeGo. It can be done with class and dignity towards the fans which BlackBerry lacks unfortunately.
    09-20-16 08:05 PM
    BigBadWulf, Vistaus and thurask like this.
    09-20-16 10:14 PM
    I really shouldn't , but damn!

Ok campers, let's stay on topic and return to being respectful. Diversity of opinion is wonderful. Personal jabs...not so much.
    09-20-16 10:24 PM
    wojt7, I hear what you're laying down. Reality is though, if they want to stay viable in hardware, they have to be responsible with their resources. I'm no OS coder, but based on the size of the radio alone, I suspect it's not as easy as you suggest. Also, as impractical as it seems on th surface, Chen may be honest about his dream of resurrecting BB10, should BlackBerry have a spectacular turn around. At worst, they are, whether folks want to believe it or not, serious about two more OS updates, containing bug fixes and security enhancements. Making a BB10 is dead statement at this point would destroy what integrity they have left, the relationship they have with those requiring the NIAP certification, and any ability to liquidate current BB10 stock, which will cripple any chance of survival. They are trapped between a rock and a hard place, and doing their best to thread the needle towards a brighter future.
    09-20-16 10:37 PM
    What an original wit you have there.

Enjoy your rebranded Alcatel btw.
    09-21-16 06:02 AM
103 ... 2345