01-13-14 06:18 AM
36 12
tools
    Not trying to troll, just have never had any good experiences with Wifi calling.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    As you can see by the responses. Your experience is not typical. I've used Wifi calling for weeks at a time without cell signal with 0 issues.
    01-12-14 02:45 PM
    Wifi calling was awesome on my 9900. I hate how it wasn't implemented with the 10.0 release os

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 03:44 PM
    This WiFi calling your talking about, is this UMA?

In the UK only Orange had this feature, I remember turning off my daughters mobile network in the settings of her phone at night and then it rang while connected to WiFi, had to Google to figure out what was going on, turns out it was UMA that I'd seen people on here talking about...I never got to try out roaming with this feature to see if it meant free calls over WiFi, are you all saying the BB10 devices don't support UMA?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:34 PM
    To Loc22...

Have you ever traveled internationally and then discover you've accumulated several hundred dollars of additional mobile bill from just one week outside of the country?

You may not mind paying those charges but I for one need wifi calling to save those dollars.

And as I said in my post, this isn't just about calling landlines - it's about calling ANY phone...regardless of whether them other person happens to have Skype, BBM, or any other voice app.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have travelled to about 16 different countries & every time my bills will come up to at least $300 but that is normal. What I'm saying is if you can get it for free why pay?

Most people will have some way to be contacted via some data call. It could be BBM, Skype, Viber, YM or etc. Use those, for the minority who doesn't have all of these just make a paid call. I believe this group will be less than 5% of your contacts right?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 06:34 PM
    This WiFi calling your talking about, is this UMA?

In the UK only Orange had this feature, I remember turning off my daughters mobile network in the settings of her phone at night and then it rang while connected to WiFi, had to Google to figure out what was going on, turns out it was UMA that I'd seen people on here talking about...I never got to try out roaming with this feature to see if it meant free calls over WiFi, are you all saying the BB10 devices don't support UMA?

Posted via CB10
    Forgive me if my layman's explanation is awry - I'm sure someone on here will chip in with a correction if required

UMA (also known as GAN) was on my Bold 9700, and enabled me to make calls over Wi-Fi. My carrier (Orange UK) allowed this feature (eg didn't turn it off!)

My Bold 9900 had "Wi-Fi Calling" instead (something different from UMA)

The difference, I believe, is:

UMA functionality was powered by a special UMA chip in the phone - this also enabled functionality that allowed the phone to seamlessly switch from a Wi-Fi connection to 3G (I would drive away from my house, the phone would have a bit of a glitch for half a second, and then my call would resume - eg started off as a call via Wi-Fi, when I got to the road my Bold then connected to 3G - pretty cool!)

"Wi-Fi Calling" doesn't use a special chip, instead the functionality is supported by software on the phone - for some reason this means that you no longer get a seamless handover from Wi-Fi to 3G - instead the call just drops! (And this, on the Bold 9900 was meant to be an improvement?!)

I'm now with EE who promised me when I got my Q10, that Wi-Fi Calling will be available on the Q10 at a later date, and that EE will not block it. We shall wait and see......

Hope this helps!
    decoy7 likes this.
    01-12-14 08:10 PM
    As you can see by the responses. Your experience is not typical. I've used Wifi calling for weeks at a time without cell signal with 0 issues.
    Then I stand corrected. Good luck to all of you getting Wifi calling back.

Also a idea for those of you who are having issues with hotels or other sites blocking Wifi calling, you could try a vpn service, or setup a vpn host at your house or business, that in theory should allow you to make calls, as long as vpn pass through isn't blocked as well.

01-12-14 08:14 PM
    Yes, I have travelled to about 16 different countries & every time my bills will come up to at least $300 but that is normal. What I'm saying is if you can get it for free why pay?

Most people will have some way to be contacted via some data call. It could be BBM, Skype, Viber, YM or etc. Use those, for the minority who doesn't have all of these just make a paid call. I believe this group will be less than 5% of your contacts right?

Posted via CB10
    Hi Loc, when my clients call, they just call.... they don't liaise up-front about when I will be on Skype or anything else, and less than half the calls I receive when abroad will be already booked in my calendar. Most of my roaming-charge-expenditure would be for receiving calls (as I have no control over when clients will call me) - by connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi, I save myself a fortune. I'd rather not give my Carrier many hundreds of dollars a week over and above my hefty monthly contract (c.$80) .....
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-12-14 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammar
    01-12-14 08:19 PM
    Also a idea for those of you who are having issues with hotels or other sites blocking Wifi calling, you could try a vpn service, or setup a vpn host at your house or business, that in theory should allow you to make calls, as long as vpn pass through isn't blocked as well.
    For some reason, I've found that in some hotels that block Wi-Fi Calling from a mobile (eg Skype/VOIP will work on a laptop), a workaround is to use your laptop as a hotspot, and to connect your phone to your laptop. It worked for me last year in the Stratosphere in Vegas (and as my room over-looked the pool, I could still get a mobile-Wifi-to-laptop-hotspot connection at poolside)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-12-14 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo
    01-12-14 08:23 PM
    Yeah they seem to be dragging their feet on this. Forwarding calls from my Q10 to my 9900 just to get calls at home is getting pretty old.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 09:06 PM
    For some reason, I've found that in some hotels that block Wi-Fi Calling from a mobile (eg Skype/VOIP will work on a laptop), a workaround is to use your laptop as a hotspot, and to connect your phone to your laptop. It worked for me last year in the Stratosphere in Vegas (and as my room over-looked the pool, I could still get a mobile-Wifi-to-laptop-hotspot connection at poolside)
    How did you figure that one out? LOL

01-12-14 09:49 PM

How did you figure that one out? LOL

Do you mean:

How did I find this out?
    Or
    Does this seem logical to me?

As the hotel restricted Wi-Fi Calling from mobiles, then I had assumed they were blocking certain ports - which is why I found it surprising that my old Bold 9900 would work for Wi-Fi calling when connected to my laptop's hotspot

I experimented to see how far away from my room I could be, before the laptop-hotspot connection dropped - If I stayed room-side at the pool-side I still got a connection

However, the best connection was always from Denny's....
    decoy7 likes this.
    01-13-14 06:18 AM
36 12