12-21-13 07:59 PM
241 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I keep hearing about Scorp getting leaks, but I assumed it was a sex thing...

Posted via my sexy-*** Z10 running 10.2.0.1803 ON A BOAT!!!
    I'm sure he got but he can't share a screen from his os setting

Posted Via my Q10
    12-11-13 04:07 PM
    Carriers now have 10.2.1 as it will be released on January the 4th, so there will be leaks dropping in December...

For us to really enjoy the power of 2.1, it just needs to be 14xx or newer, so that the Android runtime includes Google Play.
    moody and russworman like this.
    12-11-13 06:05 PM
    Carriers now have 10.2.1 as it will be released on January the 4th, so there will be leaks dropping in December...

For us to really enjoy the power of 2.1, it just needs to be 14xx or newer, so that the Android runtime includes Google Play.
    So it's possible that the initial 10.2.1 is on jan 4th, 14xx etc, and builds higher than that is a maintenance build already being developed, such as 18xx, maybe 17xx is what's going to be released on jan 4th??

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    12-11-13 06:20 PM

About Google Play......

We know Google itself is a wide open sphere of tracking & hacking. We know that BlackBerry builds the best track free & hack free os on the market.

So why wouldn't BlackBerry implements their own cloud services to work w/ the unlocked android runtime.

Seems to me that would be the best of all world's. We get any android app yet the security of all being stored on BlackBerry servers vs Google servers.

Just a thought. A really good one too.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    Derlitz and m1kr0 like this.
    12-11-13 07:00 PM
    So it's possible that the initial 10.2.1 is on jan 4th, 14xx etc, and builds higher than that is a maintenance build already being developed, such as 18xx, maybe 17xx is what's going to be released on jan 4th??
    The jump is too small for a MR. We're the 12th, so, I don't see why 18xx wouldn't be the version being released in January, just like for 10.2.0.

About Google Play......

We know Google itself is a wide open sphere of tracking & hacking. We know that BlackBerry builds the best track free & hack free os on the market.

So why wouldn't BlackBerry implements their own cloud services to work w/ the unlocked android runtime.

Seems to me that would be the best of all world's. We get any android app yet the security of all being stored on BlackBerry servers vs Google servers.

Just a thought. A really good one too.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    You do know that tracking is built into BB10, right? It's mostly for debugging purpose, but it's there and can be used by carriers and BlackBerry.
    Also, BB has tried to get Android developers to upload their apps intp BBW, but it didn't take.

I was hoping for BB to simply add a section in BBW, which would mirror Play and for them to let us use our Google account in settings to validate Play purchases, but apparently they took a different approach.

Having Play in the runtime could be a simple win/win licensing deal. We get the apps, Google gets ad money, profile info, etc. and probably a licensing fee.

It could also be a way to convince Android manufacturers to build cheap devices which would feature QNX10, an efficient and secure OS which runs Android apps which can easily be purchased via Play. Enterprises need cheap, secure devices for their junior analysts and accountants connected to BES 10 and BlackBerry can't build them cheap enough.
    moody, m1kr0, Uzi and 1 others like this.
    12-11-13 07:39 PM

It could also be a way to convince Android manufacturers to build cheap devices which would feature QNX10, an efficient and secure OS which runs Android apps which can easily be purchased via Play. Enterprises need cheap, secure devices for their junior analysts and accountants connected to BES 10 and BlackBerry can't build them cheap enough.
    I agree...the hardware should take a knock down from the Z10 because AFAIK - going by Sorry, this Z10 gross margin analysis is totally out to lunch | CrackBerry.com - the cost of manufacturing the Z10 is like $250 (When it came out most likely).

I think that the Z10-like devices from Android manufacturers could probably be manufactured for about $100-$150 now and sold for about $250-$350 depending on how much the carriers want to screw people over.

I would be happy if LG and HTC made cheaper BB10 devices...Hell, I would be happy if they made expensive ones, too.

On a side note, are you pulling our legs about the upcoming OS release? That's a touchy subject for me because of the bugs I've been having with 10.2.1.1055. I REALLY want a more stable version. :-)
    12-11-13 08:33 PM
    On a side note, are you pulling our legs about the upcoming OS release? That's a touchy subject for me because of the bugs I've been having with 10.2.1.1055. I REALLY want a more stable version. :-)
    I'm reloading 1055 to my Z30 as I type this. It became too unreliable sending/receiving text messages.

Last time I reloaded an os was 1792 to my Q and the very next day 1055 dropped. Here's to hoping this scenario repeats itself tonight.

Posted via CB10 - the app that doesn't exist
    12-11-13 08:43 PM
    In all seriousness though. My Z30 is starting to show issues with this OS. My text msg sending and receiving is hit or miss. Facebook notifications and email notifications may or may not come through. Opening apk apps is getting to where its taking forever.

SOOOOOO I NEED A LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And NOT the pee pee kind
    mine is literally bug free (as far as i know) and i've been using it for over a week now, i didnt download the first 1055 leak that sirjes posted, i downloaded the one from the other thread
    12-11-13 08:55 PM
    You do know that tracking is built into BB10, right? It's mostly for debugging purpose...

Dude, as you well know, there is "tracking", and there is "tracking".

Having a simple logging function that is only used for technical troubleshooting - which can EASILY be turned off by the user (one of the first things I did on MY BB10 devices) - is a completely different matter than the the widespread tracking that Google does, which is combined, correlated, data-mined and sold to 3rd parties, along with info about:

• All of your email transactions if you use Google Gmail or commercial variants
    • Many or most of your social media interactions
    • All of the things you have ever looked up using Google Search, or at least for the last 18-24 months
    • Mapping data, including where you go, what you look up, going back months if not years
    • Everywhere you go on the internet with a web browser, what websites, how long, what you click on, personal details shared, etc.
    • Details about which networks you connect to, details about your home wifi connection, it's exact physical location and when you access it
    • Transactions made at various merchants that use Google services
    • Your voice calls if you use Google Voice
    • Your IM conversations if you use Google Talk, Hangouts, or any service that uses Google tracking/analytics
    • Images of where you live, your front yard, satellite photos correlated with this
    • Etc etc etc

You cannot, with a straight face, seriously compare those two things, at all.
    m1kr0 and moody like this.
    12-11-13 09:02 PM

Having a simple logging function that is only used for technical troubleshooting - which can EASILY be turned off by the user (one of the first things I did on MY BB10 devices) - is a completely different matter than the the widespread tracking that Google does, which is combined, correlated, data-mined and sold to 3rd parties, along with info about:

• All of the things you have ever looked up using Google Search, or at least for the last 18-24 months
    • Mapping data, including where you go, what you look up, going back months if not years
    • Everywhere you go on the internet with a web browser, what websites, how long, what you click on, personal details shared, etc.
    • Details about which networks you connect to, details about your home wifi connection, its exact physical location and when you access it
    • Your IM conversations if you use Google Talk, Hangouts, or any service that uses Google tracking/analytics
    • Images of where you live, your front yard, satellite photos correlated with this
    • Etc etc etc

Thanks...that reminds me that I need to move my mail away from Gmail. I've already changed my search engine (surprisingly, Bing gets me better results).

I don't think he was putting them together, just pointing out the BB10 CAN track what you do on the phone for debugging purposes. Not that it Data-mines the s**t out of you.
    12-11-13 09:39 PM
    I don't think he was putting them together, just pointing out the BB10 CAN track what you do on the phone for debugging purposes. Not that it Data-mines the s**t out of you.

ANY cellphone can be used to track you, regardless of what it does internally, simply from the records kept by the mobile carrier and the fact that (in the case of smartphones) much of your internet activity passes through them.

The difference is that Google ratchets that up 10x with all their on-device data collection and correlation and tie-ins with so many other things. You can hardly do anything on the Internet today without coming in contact with some form of Google data collection. So by definition, ANY additional data collection Google does becomes part of this "GooglePlex". Blackberry isn't even remotely in such a position, even if they collected more data from the smartphone than Google does, to correlate it with all sorts of other data they already hold on you the way Google can.

Surely you people have seen how aggressively Google has tried to rope people into signing up for Google Plus, right? They have used sneaky user-interfaces that make it seem like the only way you can use certain Google services is to signup for Google Plus even if you have no interest or need for it. But they want that to be a big Facebook competitor, and they want to use it to collect much more data on you. For example, they tell you right up front that (in contrast to many other Google services) that they want your ACTUAL name listed on your G+ profile. That opens up all sorts of additional red flags about further, personalized, correlated data collection. You have never been required to use a "real name" on Gmail or to create a Google search profile.. this is simply the next level for them.

It is their business-model, sum-total: data collection and advertising targeting. EVERYTHING they do ties-in to that.

And then they have the audacity to turn around and make a stink about the US government's data-collection efforts. One of the main reasons that the NSA does all their snooping on that stuff is simply because Google and similiar companies collect all that data in the first place. If they didn't, the government would have nothing to collect.
    moody likes this.
    12-11-13 10:26 PM
    ANY cellphone can be used to track you, regardless of what it does internally, simply from the records kept by the mobile carrier and the fact that (in the case of smartphones) much of your internet activity passes through them.

The difference is that Google ratchets that up 10x with all their on-device data collection and correlation and tie-ins with so many other things. You can hardly do anything on the Internet today without coming in contact with some form of Google data collection. So by definition, ANY additional data collection Google does becomes part of this "GooglePlex". Blackberry isn't even remotely in such a position, even if they collected more data from the smartphone than Google does, to correlate it with all sorts of other data they already hold on you the way Google can.

Surely you people have seen how aggressively Google has tried to rope people into signing up for Google Plus, right? They have used sneaky user-interfaces that make it seem like the only way you can use certain Google services is to signup for Google Plus even if you have no interest or need for it. But they want that to be a big Facebook competitor, and they want to use it to collect much more data on you. For example, they tell you right up front that (in contrast to many other Google services) that they want your ACTUAL name listed on your G+ profile. That opens up all sorts of additional red flags about further, personalized, correlated data collection. You have never been required to use a "real name" on Gmail or to create a Google search profile.. this is simply the next level for them.

It is their business-model, sum-total: data collection and advertising targeting. EVERYTHING they do ties-in to that.

And then they have the audacity to turn around and make a stink about the US government's data-collection efforts. One of the main reasons that the NSA does all their snooping on that stuff is simply because Google and similiar companies collect all that data in the first place. If they didn't, the government would have nothing to collect.
    Yes, yes...I know that Google is the Devil...I was just trying to bring some depth to his statement becasue I'm telepathic. :-)
    moody likes this.
    12-11-13 10:35 PM
    Yes, yes...I know that Google is the Devil...I was just trying to bring some depth to his statement becasue I'm telepathic. :-)
    Yeah sorry, I just realized that was sort-of off-topic for this thread. I've been in a lot of 'snooping, security, NSA, fanwars...' threads here recently.
    moody likes this.
    12-11-13 10:45 PM
    I'd just be happy with contacts that don't disappear out of nowhere. seriously, since 1055 my contacts have been just wacky. but I digress. I'm sure it's something I did or didn't do. maybe. or something. and stuff.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:27 PM
    mistaken post, ignore.
    12-11-13 11:50 PM
    Anyone have any info on 10.2.1.14xx?
    Supposed to come out January 2014.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:59 PM
    Waiting game

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    moody likes this.
    12-12-13 01:28 AM
    Anyone have any info on 10.2.1.14xx?
    Supposed to come out January 2014.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody just wait

Posted Via my Q10
    12-12-13 01:35 AM
    Yay for 2014!

Posted via Q10 10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    12-12-13 02:09 AM
    So will the 10.2.1.xxx that is currently with the carriers for testing be a Google Play enabled version aka 14xx or higher, or will something similar to 1055 be released? If Google Play is included, surely one would expect a song and dance announcement from BlackBerry soon? Perhaps even from Google gloating a bit? Or a joint press release....
    12-12-13 02:39 AM
    Historically, a lot more OS leak during the carrier testing phase. You don't need an inside man, radios are not locked, etc. And that was not just on BB10. So it shouldn't be any different for 10.2.1.
    Btw, how do you think 1055 landed on here? It was a version meant for broad distribution and so it found its way to the Internet.

Agreed! And only agencies will use what's built-in, but let's not forget that BB is trying to make money right now and that one way will be through Channels, so we could see some personal information collection in the future. Hopefully it won't be as far reaching as what Google is doing.

So will the 10.2.1.xxx that is currently with the carriers for testing be a Google Play enabled version aka 14xx or higher, or will something similar to 1055 be released? If Google Play is included, surely one would expect a song and dance announcement from BlackBerry soon? Perhaps even from Google gloating a bit? Or a joint press release....
    Since carriers have a version with Play built-in, I suspect bb will make a major announcement during the first week of 2014, but maybe they'll pull the plug at the last minute for contractual reasons...
    m1kr0 and Uzi like this.
    12-12-13 05:40 AM
    but let's not forget that BB is trying to make money right now and that one way will be through Channels, so we could see some personal information collection in the future. Hopefully it won't be as far reaching as what Google is doing.

My view, as stated above, is that no matter what BlackBerry does, they cannot even begin to approach the level of intrusion that Google can, because of how Google's tentacles are wrapped around almost anything in information tech these days. This gives their collection efforts infinitely more power than an entity that has a far smaller number of ingress points for collection activity, and which a far smaller amount of individuals come into contact with.

Maybe someday when BlackBerry is reincarnated as the ber Google.
    moody likes this.
    12-12-13 08:27 AM

• Details about which networks you connect to, details about your home wifi connection, it's exact physical location and when you access it
    • Etc etc etc

^^^^That's what I meant by tracking^^^^
    12-12-13 11:11 AM
    Historically, a lot more OS leak during the carrier testing phase. You don't need an inside man, radios are not locked, etc. And that was not just on BB10. So it shouldn't be any different for 10.2.1.
    Btw, how do you think 1055 landed on here? It was a version meant for broad distribution and so it found its way to the Internet.

Agreed! And only agencies will use what's built-in, but let's not forget that BB is trying to make money right now and that one way will be through Channels, so we could see some personal information collection in the future. Hopefully it won't be as far reaching as what Google is doing.

Since carriers have a version with Play built-in, I suspect bb will make a major announcement during the first week of 2014, but maybe they'll pull the plug at the last minute for contractual reasons...
    If you are right that existing carrier builds have Google Play pre-installed, then there is no doubt that BlackBerry and Google have already signed a deal. To think otherwise would mean that BlackBerry is knowingly distributing Google's IP without Google's consent. That is a crazy thought and it would subject BlackBerry to liability.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 11:13 AM
    They can't be that dumb

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    12-12-13 11:45 PM
241 ... 56789 ...