08-06-16 04:18 AM
54 123
tools
    I know there are countless threads about this but many times solutions get lost in the pages. So I decided to start a thread to HOPEFULLY contain ONLY solutions for wifi issues.

Since provider/router/phone/OS differ so much, what has worked for me may not for others. If you have a different resolution please post it here.

If you have questions or need assistance, ask those in one of the existing wifi issues threads. Then once you get yours resolved, come back here with details:
    1) network provider
    2) router
    3) router settings
    4) phone model, carrier, current OS
    5) solution
    And any other info that may help others with similar or identical situations.

About 3 - 4 months ago I began getting text warnings I was nearing my data limit. Fortunately I have the Hub++ app and it has a setting to turn on "no wifi" notification. So I turned this on both my z30 and q10.

Over the next several months I was amazed at how many times this alert was going off! So I began looking for a pattern to identify a common denominator. I am fortunate enough to have 2 different phones on 2 different carriers and access 3 different wifi router/modems during the day. The only thing consistent was my z30 dropped about 75% more often than my Q10. And it happened at home 90% more often than at the gym or work.

Here are my stats:

My location: USA

Providers:
    AT&T U-verse (home);
    Comcast (gym);
    CBeyond (work)

Devices:
    Z30 on AT&T;
    Q10 on Verizon

All the troubleshooting things I tried:

Reboot phones
    Reboot routers
    Changed router channel from 7 to 11
    Delete and re-enter wifi settings on phones
    Loading various OS's, radio's, and bar files relating to wifi connections
    Deleted and downloaded Hub++ again in case it was malfunctioning.... on 2 phones...
    Reload OS and set up fresh - no restore
    Security wipe, reload and set up fresh
    Switched SIM cards for a week making Q10 on AT&T and Z30 on Vzn - this seemed to make some difference so...
    Got new AT&T SIM card for Z30 and put Q10 back on Vzn - worked about a day then right back to dropping so...
    Exchanged Z30 for new one thinking wifi antenna must have gone bad.
    Set up new Z30 on 10.3.821 and no restore. Didn't work. Sad face.

FINALLY this weekend some really smart friends, really tired of me talking about it decided to help.

Logged into router:

Changed channel from 11 to 6
    Changed wireless mode from 802.11n/b/g to 802.11n
    It's been a week now and I am so happy to report wifi rarely drops and when it does, it's less than a second. And it is no longer affecting my data usage!!

Oh its a beautiful site:
    Attached Thumbnails WIFI Resolution-uploadfromtaptalk1414200484885.png   WIFI Resolution-uploadfromtaptalk1414200518790.png  
    Last edited by moodyk13; 10-24-14 at 11:00 PM.
    10-24-14 09:29 PM
    That's interesting, does it affect other devices on the network? Like does anyone know of any common devices that can't use Wireless N on channel 6?
    Just curious as I'd love to do this if it fixes all of this wifi dropping in and out...

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-24-14 10:04 PM
    As far as I know all other devices using this router have no issues. My laptop works fine. We have 3 laptops, 4 additional mobile phones, and an Xbox using it and no one has said "MOM!!" lol

"I am 'Mrs.' Peevishlicious"
    10-24-14 11:05 PM
    As far as I know all other devices using this router have no issues. My laptop works fine. We have 3 laptops, 4 additional mobile phones, and an Xbox using it and no one has said "MOM!!" lol

Nice to meet you Mrs. Peev.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.938
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 02:04 AM
    I know there are countless threads about this but many times solutions get lost in the pages. So I decided to start a thread to HOPEFULLY contain ONLY solutions for wifi issues.

Since provider/router/phone/OS differ so much, what has worked for me may not for others. If you have a different resolution please post it here.

If you have questions or need assistance, ask those in one of the existing wifi issues threads. Then once you get yours resolved, come back here with details:
    1) network provider
    2) router
    3) router settings
    5) solution

About 3 - 4 months ago I began getting text warnings I was nearing my data limit. Fortunately I have the Hub++ app and it has a setting to turn on "no wifi" notification. So I turned this on both my z30 and q10.

Over the next several months I was amazed at how many times this alert was going off! So I began looking for a pattern to identify a common denominator. I am fortunate enough to have 2 different phones on 2 different carriers and access 3 different wifi router/modems during the day. The only thing consistent was my z30 dropped about 75% more often than my Q10. And it happened at home 90% more often than at the gym or work.

Here are my stats:

Providers:
    AT&T U-verse (home);
    Comcast (gym);
    CBeyond (work)

Devices:
    Z30 on AT&T;
    Q10 on Verizon

Reboot phones
    Reboot routers
    Deleted and downloaded Hub++ again in case it was malfunctioning.... on 2 phones...
    Switched SIM cards for a week making Q10 on AT&T and Z30 on Vzn - this seemed to make some difference so...
    Got new AT&T SIM card for Z30 and put Q10 back on Vzn - worked about a day then right back to dropping so...

FINALLY this weekend some really smart friends, really tired of me talking about it decided to help.

Logged into router:

It's been a week now and I am so happy to report wifi rarely drops and when it does, it's less than a second. And it is no longer affecting my data usage!!

Oh its a beautiful site:
    What home router are you using? Linksys, Netgear? Model # too please.

10-25-14 02:06 AM

1) network provider
    2) router
    3) router settings
    5) solution

Here are my stats:

Providers:
    AT&T U-verse (home);
    Comcast (gym);
    CBeyond (work)

Devices:
    Z30 on AT&T;
    Q10 on Verizon

Reboot phones
    Reboot routers

Logged into router:

Oh its a beautiful site:
    Thank u soo much will apply these been having issues lately

Z30 Beast on Roids....
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 02:12 AM
    Well I still have the feeling that I'm the only one with the issue I have. Here it goes:

My wifi is fine, currently on 10.3.0.1154 (Z30). All working great. Now comes the issue. After some days (sometimes 1 day, sometimes 3/4) my wifi is just disappeared. No more wifi icon. When I go to the wifi setting, it still says it's connected (?), but with 0 signal strength bars. And this is with every wifi I login to (when the issue starts to happen). Before I was on 10.3.0.1418, this is were it started. What fixed it temporarily? Rebooting..

I tried almost everything. Reset default settings, reload os, load a different radio, etc.

Now I'm planning to do a SIC wipe > 10.3.1 autoloader > Security wipe. I guess that will fix it. Still waiting for a good 10.3.1 leak/release.

Still a very weird issue and I've saw nobody else complaining about it.

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    10-25-14 02:35 AM
    Hi Moodyk13,

Nice idea to start such a thread. I've been using almost every link since 10.3 has gone stable. I'm now on 10.3.1.938. I find this 10.3.1 has poor connection. 10.3.0.1418 was probably better in that matter.

Have you compared different releases in terms of performance ?

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 05:24 AM
    Well I still have the feeling that I'm the only one with the issue I have. Here it goes:

My wifi is fine, currently on 10.3.0.1154 (Z30). All working great. Now comes the issue. After some days (sometimes 1 day, sometimes 3/4) my wifi is just disappeared. No more wifi icon. When I go to the wifi setting, it still says it's connected (?), but with 0 signal strength bars. And this is with every wifi I login to (when the issue starts to happen). Before I was on 10.3.0.1418, this is were it started. What fixed it temporarily? Rebooting..

I tried almost everything. Reset default settings, reload os, load a different radio, etc.

Now I'm planning to do a SIC wipe > 10.3.1 autoloader > Security wipe. I guess that will fix it. Still waiting for a good 10.3.1 leak/release.

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    I have a similar problem. And it all started with 1418. Went crazy with this. Nothing helped. Not loading the 1055 Radio or security wipe. Now I'm also planning to do SIC multiwipe and then autoload and sec wipe. Hope it will help.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 05:59 AM
    Since OS 10.3 or whatever we Have problems with Z10, Z30 and BlackBerry Passport, it drops wifi and you neven can tell how strong the signal is. We solved it manual to input ipadress,dns, sub, gateway. Know it's stay connected or connected but still no bar fill
    10-25-14 06:30 AM
    What home router are you using? Linksys, Netgear? Model # too please.

It is from AT&T U-Verse and it says "Pace" model # 5031NV

10-25-14 09:36 AM
    @Fabian I'm on Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.938 and it's been rock solid for me. When my replacement Z came in it had 10.2.1.2102 (I think) on it and it did auto update to 2995 (I think). Sorry I'm not positive of all the os's numbers.

Then I loaded 821 and battery was great. So when 938 hit i loaded it up and went ahead and used restore from backup of fresh 821.

I know we are discussing wifi but just wanted to throw out there that a fresh install of 10.3.1.xxxx has seemed to solve excessive battery drain for me too.

10-25-14 10:02 AM
    Hi Moodyk13,

Nice idea to start such a thread. I've been using almost every link since 10.3 has gone stable. I'm now on 10.3.1.938. I find this 10.3.1 has poor connection. 10.3.0.1418 was probably better in that matter.

Have you compared different releases in terms of performance ?

Posted via CB10
    Yes as a matter of fact I have. Comparing everything in DM since 10.3 came out. And right now everything is looking great behind the scenes.

See my post above to FabianB for my scenario.

10-25-14 10:05 AM
    Since OS 10.3 or whatever we Have problems with Z10, Z30 and BlackBerry Passport, it drops wifi and you neven can tell how strong the signal is. We solved it manual to input ipadress,dns, sub, gateway. Know it's stay connected or connected but still no bar fill
    Take a screen shot of your mobile data and wifi use and post here

10-25-14 10:06 AM
    Here is a screen shot of my Q10 since solving wifi dropping:

10-25-14 10:37 AM
    Great idea for a thread!

I humbly suggest that folks look at what channels are in use in their area and pick one that is least populated versus just picking a channel arbitrarily.

For example I used WiFi Analyzer to see what WiFi networks were using what channels in my area, and I picked channel 8 to minimize the overlap with the others:
    WIFI Resolution-img_20141025_130253.png

You will probably always have some overlap with others in your area, but minimizing overlap should help. The tool doesn't show all the WiFi units all the time that the device sees, but give it some time and you will see them pop in and out. Also when you first fire it up, it will show you a button on the left with 2.4 in it. If you click it (or the spot it was in if it fades away) you will switch from seeing the 2.4gz channels (G) to seeing the 5ghz channels (N).

I don't know why the other picture is showing at the bottom. I originally attached the wrong one and removed it but it is still there apparently. I may need to switch to a PC to try and get rid of it.
    Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    Attached Thumbnails WIFI Resolution-img_20141025_093633.png  
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 01:09 PM
    Further to what has been discussed here I have a tip that I have used on my routers.
    Connect all of your devices that you use to your router, then login to the router and use the mac address of each device to assign individual static IP addresses. These settings are generally in the network menu area in a section call DHCP Reservations.

It may be just a coincedence but since I have done this on all of my routers, I have had very few dropped connections.
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 01:24 PM
    It is from AT&T U-Verse and it says "Pace" model # 5031NV

[B][COLOR=#000066]Interesting... We've had Uverse at home for years, with no connection issues, using a swath of BlackBerries and OS. Currently a Z10 and Z30 on 938. I know it's running multiple bands. I'll have to see which model when I get home.

Edit - 2Wire 3801HGV FWIW, LoL
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 02:38 PM
    Static IP address does the job. It's been OK since couple of hours.

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    10-25-14 05:06 PM

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    Do NOT do a security wipe directly after a new autoloader. Not only is it not necessary but it may corrupt your new os. Why are you planning a security wipe AFTER a new os loading anyway. There is no good reason I can think of except a while back it was necessary on ONE specific leaked os.

10-27-14 04:20 AM
    Do NOT do a security wipe directly after a new autoloader. Not only is it not necessary but it may corrupt your new os. Why are you planning a security wipe AFTER a new os loading anyway. There is no good reason I can think of except a while back it was necessary on ONE specific leaked os.

Why may it corrupt your new OS? It not like it's randomly selecting files to delete.

?

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    10-27-14 04:25 AM
    Why may it corrupt your new OS? It not like it's randomly selecting files to delete.

?

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    Since your wifi settings seem to be corrupt, try loading the wifi related bars first. I don't rem their names but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out by looking through the bar files. I know one is like "wifisend" or something similar.

I would use Sachesi, delete any wifi related bars on phone then install them fresh. See what happens.

If that doesn't work then yes I'd go for either reload os or security wipe then re-load os. But if you do security wipe, try connecting to wifi see if you can before reloading os.

"I am 'Mrs.' Peevishilicious"
    10-27-14 07:29 AM
    10.3.1 it's got mobil data leak so it doesn't matter what you do or how you load it will eat mobil data unless you turn off mobil data than it will work fine but you can't get text and video messages
    11-02-14 08:24 AM
    Here are my stats:

And all this time I thought they were 36-24-36

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle, moody and kbz1960 like this.
    11-02-14 09:06 AM
    for someone who cant change the channels on router, what would you say to do?:/

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-02-14 09:09 AM
54 123