tools
    I'm using a 4800 battery and barely make it paste half day :-(
    Watch for:
    - Screen brightness/on constantly/games
    - Android apps running in background
    - Streaming audio/video
    - Off brand / counterfeit batteries
    11-26-13 02:30 PM
    1. if your battery doesn't make it past half a day, you have a defective battery.
    2. if you did not know that the percentage remaining estimate doesn't work with batteries larger than stock (there are at least 100 posts talking about how it will run for hours on 0%), then you have reading comprehension fail and should definitely do more reading before purchasing and using third party batteries.

By the way, your display is using 24% of your battery. Mine is 1.3-3.3%. You are obviously using the phone with the display on far higher than typical phone usage. Try turning off the display when you are done using it for the moment rather than letting it timeout and turn off on its own.
    The "Burn Rate" I am talking about is happening with the phone in total "idle" mode... Nothing executing except wireless and cellular data with the top button pushed so there is nothing displayed... it is turned off. Also, I am using the stock battery and have two good batteries and both exhibit the same behavior. Thanks for the advice though... could be helpful to others.
    11-26-13 03:23 PM
    Watch for:
    - Screen brightness/on constantly/games
    - Android apps running in background
    - Streaming audio/video
    - Off brand / counterfeit batteries
    All good points but I have 2 different BB stock batteries and both exhibit the same drain characteristics when Wi-Fi is turned on. In addition, I have isolated the higher than usual battery drain to be directly related to the Wi-Fi. If I have Wi-Fi on then the phone burns approximately .5 to .8 Watts with no other apps running and the phone display turned off... Basically idle. If I make no changes except turning off Wi-Fi (again with no other apps running and with the phone turned off), the burn rate drops to around .2 Watts. The same amount of email and other things are going on behind the scenes in both cases because I have Cellular Data turned on in both cases.

The thing that also differs from before the upgrade is that the Wi-Fi status screen has a constant "busy circle" as if it is always searching for other networks, even though I have unchecked the "Prompt when a saved hotspot is found nearby". I really do think this issue is directly related to Wi-Fi and not other factors.
    11-26-13 03:36 PM
    1. if your battery doesn't make it past half a day, you have a defective battery.
    2. if you did not know that the percentage remaining estimate doesn't work with batteries larger than stock (there are at least 100 posts talking about how it will run for hours on 0%), then you have reading comprehension fail and should definitely do more reading before purchasing and using third party batteries.

By the way, your display is using 24% of your battery. Mine is 1.3-3.3%. You are obviously using the phone with the display on far higher than typical phone usage. Try turning off the display when you are done using it for the moment rather than letting it timeout and turn off on its own.
    I am yet to see one of these 100 posts you speak of, so saying that I have reading comprehension fail was not called for. Anyways my display is set to timeout at 20secs and I have my brightness set to a little over the stock brightness. I have since signed out of IG and will use iGrann. I have no idea why my display uses so much power though

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 03:56 PM
    I have my wifi on 24/7 and I get 2days of heavy usage and 3 days of medium usage easily

Wi-Fi Battery Drain on 10.2.1.1055-img_00000616.png

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 04:48 PM
    Same here. If WiFi is off, battery lasts till bedtime like the good ole days...oh, and remote file access doesn't work either. This one's a little quirky.
    11-26-13 05:08 PM
    I am yet to see one of these 100 posts you speak of, so saying that I have reading comprehension fail was not called for. Anyways my display is set to timeout at 20secs and I have my brightness set to a little over the stock brightness. I have since signed out of IG and will use iGrann. I have no idea why my display uses so much power though

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, my blood sugar was low and I was pissy. But, I don't think you can miss the talk of it still working for hours on 0% in any of the several 4500mA threads.
    11-26-13 08:48 PM
    All good points but I have 2 different BB stock batteries and both exhibit the same drain characteristics when Wi-Fi is turned on. In addition, I have isolated the higher than usual battery drain to be directly related to the Wi-Fi. If I have Wi-Fi on then the phone burns approximately .5 to .8 Watts with no other apps running and the phone display turned off... Basically idle. If I make no changes except turning off Wi-Fi (again with no other apps running and with the phone turned off), the burn rate drops to around .2 Watts. The same amount of email and other things are going on behind the scenes in both cases because I have Cellular Data turned on in both cases.

The thing that also differs from before the upgrade is that the Wi-Fi status screen has a constant "busy circle" as if it is always searching for other networks, even though I have unchecked the "Prompt when a saved hotspot is found nearby". I really do think this issue is directly related to Wi-Fi and not other factors.

Actually my comment was more directed to bb8900edit, who claimed his/her battery only lasted 4 hours, despite being a special, large battery.

In my experience, MOST of the 3rd-party "super high capacity / Gold Label / bla bla bla" batteries are junk, do not meet their claimed specs (especially if they fit in the same physical space as the original battery) and oftentimes are actually literally dangerous. (ie they are poorly constructed and often overheat or even explode)
    11-26-13 10:31 PM
    Actually my comment was more directed to bb8900edit, who claimed his/her battery only lasted 4 hours, despite being a special, large battery.

In my experience, MOST of the 3rd-party "super high capacity / Gold Label / bla bla bla" batteries are junk, do not meet their claimed specs (especially if they fit in the same physical space as the original battery) and oftentimes are actually literally dangerous. (ie they are poorly constructed and often overheat or even explode)
    My battery last about 7 hours actually. Got the 4500 battery because I heard that I could get a full days usage with it. I'm now hearing that it still runs even when it shows 0% so I'm a wait until it gets there and see what happens I've also adjusted my screen brightness a bit to see if that'll help. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 11:59 PM
    My battery last about 7 hours actually. Got the 4500 battery because I heard that I could get a full days usage with it. I'm now hearing that it still runs even when it shows 0% so I'm a wait until it gets there and see what happens I've also adjusted my screen brightness a bit to see if that'll help. Thanks

Honestly, changing brightness "a bit" isn't probably going to be very useful, unless the change is substantial, and more importantly, the amount of time the screen is ON.

Since you apparently were using an Android sideload of Instagram, I don't know how many other Android apps you have installed, but those are COMMON battery-eaters because many of them will run in the background without any input from you. Some will even auto-load on boot.

At the very least, I suggest you do a complete reboot of the phone and refrain from running any Android apps for a while, to eliminate those as potential culprits while testing. (Android apps can also be obtained through BlackBerry World, but it is less likely that those are big battery eaters. Though in the past people have had a lot of trouble even with "official" Android ports such as ebay, Waze and so on when it comes to battery consumption.)

Another thing - since you appear to be on Digicel - in places where wireless coverage is not good, your device WILL consume more battery as it has to work harder to find and keep a connection.
    Sator likes this.
    11-27-13 01:23 AM
    Honestly, changing brightness "a bit" isn't probably going to be very useful, unless the change is substantial, and more importantly, the amount of time the screen is ON.

Since you apparently were using an Android sideload of Instagram, I don't know how many other Android apps you have installed, but those are COMMON battery-eaters because many of them will run in the background without any input from you. Some will even auto-load on boot.

At the very least, I suggest you do a complete reboot of the phone and refrain from running any Android apps for a while, to eliminate those as potential culprits while testing. (Android apps can also be obtained through BlackBerry World, but it is less likely that those are big battery eaters. Though in the past people have had a lot of trouble even with "official" Android ports such as ebay, Waze and so on when it comes to battery consumption.)

Another thing - since you appear to be on Digicel - in places where wireless coverage is not good, your device WILL consume more battery as it has to work harder to find and keep a connection.
    Turns out the phone keeps going for awhile when it's below 10%. It's been running for about an hour now. And Digicel has some chappy service, if I put the phone on 4G/3G only I will miss calls so I have to have it on 4,3&2G option which sucks a lot a battery. Anyways glad to see it still chugging on, going to charge once it goes out.

Wi-Fi Battery Drain on 10.2.1.1055-img_00000080.png

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 01:40 PM
    I can confirm for sure now - the phone drains 2x faster when idle with WiFi on and connected vs WiFi off mobile data connected (accounts sync on). That is definitely where the battery issues with .1055 are coming from.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 05:25 AM
    I can confirm for sure now - the phone drains 2x faster when idle with WiFi on and connected vs WiFi off mobile data connected (accounts sync on). That is definitely where the battery issues with .1055 are coming from.
    Well once again, for what it's worth, I'm not seeing this issue.

It could be that this build has trouble maintaining a connection with certain WiFi hardware, or perhaps under certain signal conditions.

Some questions for people having the "high battery drain while on WiFi" issue:

1. What is the brand/model of your router/hotspot? (Is it owned by someone else - ie a public hotspot, or a neighbor's?)
    2. How far away from the WiFi hardware is your BlackBerry usually?
    3. When you look for local networks, are there many visible signals or just your own? How many?
    4. What WiFi standard are you using? (ie 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac)
    12-01-13 07:36 AM
    Well once again, for what it's worth, I'm not seeing this issue.

It could be that this build has trouble maintaining a connection with certain WiFi hardware, or perhaps under certain signal conditions.

Some questions for people having the "high battery drain while on WiFi" issue:

1. What is the brand/model of your router/hotspot? (Is it owned by someone else - ie a public hotspot, or a neighbor's?)
    2. How far away from the WiFi hardware is your BlackBerry usually?
    3. When you look for local networks, are there many visible signals or just your own? How many?
    4. What WiFi standard are you using? (ie 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac)
    This doesn't make any sense. All previous phones i've owned will drain 2-3 times less power on wifi vs cellular data in idle and 4-10 times less in active long connection (e.g. Download or stream of video).
    In addition, that bug wasn't there in previous releases so your questions are irrelevant.
    What's probably more important is to ask which devices are experiencing the issue(I suspect a wifi driver problem):
    I have SQN100-5.

Posted via CB10
    randomroyalty likes this.
    12-01-13 09:20 AM
    I have a Wi-Fi battery burn rate issue on the 10.2.1.1055 leak that I haven't been able to resolve or find any information in searching the forums. When I enable Wi-Fi, I have a battery drain rate of .5 to .8 Watts. If I turn off WiFi, the battery burn rate is around .2 Watts, which is more what I was seeing before upgrading from 10.2.0.1047 to 10.2.1.1055. The interesting part is that, even when I am connected to a Wi-Fi network, it appears to be constantly searching for other networks... the "busy" circle is constantly on where I believe it was intermittent before.

I did see a couple of posts about removing the battery for an hour resoling some other battery burn issues so I tried that. The interesting part is that it did go back to the normal .2 Watt idle burn rate but, unfortunately, the next morning it had returned to the .8 Watt burn rate. Rebooting appears to have no impact on this problem. The only thing that returns it to a more normal idle burn rate is turning off Wi-Fi... Not what I really want to do.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Steve
    Z10
    Well, I solved my Wi-Fi battery drain problem. As somebody earlier in the posts suggested, a sideloaded Android App was the culprit. I had installed a Nikon Android application called "WMU" which links your phone with a Nikon Wi-Fi enabled camera. When working normally, you can put your camera in Wi-Fi mode and it then select the camera as your Wi-Fi hotspot. This allows you to view pictures, download pictures, and even control the camera. Apparently, even when this app hadn't been started it interfered with my BB Z10 1055 Wi-Fi operations. That explains why my searching for Wi-Fi "busy circle" was constantly on. I deleted the WMU Android application and my phone immediately returned to it's normal .01 to .02 watt idle batter burn rate and the Wi-Fi searching "busy circle" only comes on intermittently. I definitely appears that sideloading Android apps can have interesting consequences.
    12-01-13 10:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, this is where *your* battery issues are coming from. Many people, myself included, are having great battery life with this OS.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-01-13 12:09 PM
    Well, I solved my Wi-Fi battery drain problem. As somebody earlier in the posts suggested, a sideloaded Android App was the culprit.
    Glad you got it sorted.

That explains why my searching for Wi-Fi "busy circle" was constantly on.

Makes a lot of sense.

I definitely appears that sideloading Android apps can have interesting consequences.

No doubt about it. I'd estimate at least 40% of the "mysterious battery drain" problems people have w/ BB10 devices is due to Android apps. Another 30-40% due to GPS left running.
    12-01-13 01:26 PM
    All previous phones i've owned will drain 2-3 times less power on wifi vs cellular data in idle and 4-10 times less in active long connection (e.g. Download or stream of video).

I cannot accurately speculate why you have that experience, but I could make some guesses. First guess is that you have cellular signal quality issues wherever you most often use the device. (See below for a different guess and suggestion)

In theory and in ideal/typical conditions Wifi will use less power than cellular since the signal travels a shorter distance and thus the transmit power is generally less, but there are a plethora of variables that impact that.

My idle drain using 10.2.1.1055 on an STL100-4 with wifi on is about .08 watt according to Battery Guru. Not much different than what I see here on cellular. (Edit: I just noticed that my overnight battery drain on cellular on that device was only .04 watt, so either my previous figures for WiFi were too high or cellular on my device is actually draining the battery less than WiFi as well, but both at a much lower level than your SQN100-5)

Also, if you are using that SQN100-5 on T-Mobile in the USA, bear in mind that it will most likely, on an averaged out basis, use more power on cellular than an equivalent Verizon (or to a lesser extent, AT&T)version of that device because T-Mobile's spectrum allocations in the USA are typically in higher frequency bands which will draw more power from a device. That can be exacerbated by the more limited geographic tower coverage T-Mobile has compared to the top-tier providers, depending on your location.

In addition, that bug wasn't there in previous releases so your questions are irrelevant.

Whether it's reasonable to call that a bug yet or not remains to be seen. For example they could just be doing radio power management in a way that disproportionately affects your use-case.

Given that I've seen a fair amount of evidence that they have shot themselves in the foot in the past w/ overly-aggressive radio power saving strategies (causing connection reliability problems) this could just be a different way they tweaked that radio code which may have a negative impact in some use-cases.

Since this OS is a pre-release version and has not likely been tweaked for or approved for public release by your carrier, it's not too surprising it may not work well in some cases.

You could try loading mismatched radio code (ie from the last build that worked well in that regard for you), it could help.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 12-01-13 at 02:10 PM.
    12-01-13 01:58 PM
    (CB10 post fail, pls ignore.)
    12-01-13 02:04 PM
    Well, I solved my Wi-Fi battery drain problem. As somebody earlier in the posts suggested, a sideloaded Android App was the culprit. I had installed a Nikon Android application called "WMU" which links your phone with a Nikon Wi-Fi enabled camera. When working normally, you can put your camera in Wi-Fi mode and it then select the camera as your Wi-Fi hotspot. This allows you to view pictures, download pictures, and even control the camera. Apparently, even when this app hadn't been started it interfered with my BB Z10 1055 Wi-Fi operations. That explains why my searching for Wi-Fi "busy circle" was constantly on. I deleted the WMU Android application and my phone immediately returned to it's normal .01 to .02 watt idle batter burn rate and the Wi-Fi searching "busy circle" only comes on intermittently. I definitely appears that sideloading Android apps can have interesting consequences.
    It's good to be back to awesome battery life. Took it off the charger around 8:00 this morning and 9 1/2 hours later still have 70% battery. Here is the Battery Guru screen
    Attached Thumbnails Wi-Fi Battery Drain on 10.2.1.1055-img_00000347.png  
    12-01-13 05:41 PM
    on my end, it's the best OS for batteryAttachment 224473

That is my worst day since I've installed 1055, but I watched a 2 hour video that day. Otherwise my battery stay over 70 % for a full day
    Probably the worst os for battery for me. Absolutely terrible here

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 07:38 PM
    Probably the worst os for battery for me. Absolutely terrible here
    WiFi or carrier internet?
    Device model?
    Android Apps?
    12-01-13 08:39 PM
    WiFi or carrier internet?
    Device model?
    Android Apps?
    I always keep wifi on, but i used to do that anyway.
    Z10 STL100-2
    I have a task manager app and routinely kill off unused android apps.

i am assuming that the leak has not yet been optimised and therefore some people will have different effects to others
    12-02-13 02:18 PM
    I have a task manager app and routinely kill off unused android apps.
    When I use an Android task manager, one day it will show a bunch of processes, the next day it will only show itself.

Which is very headscratching. Because I would understand if app sandboxing made it impossible for an app to see any processes other than its own, but then one wouldn't expect to EVER see any other Android processes.

So in a nutshell, I don't particularly trust that I can see all running Android processes using an Android task manager.
    12-02-13 03:56 PM
    New leak is out - 1259.
    I am going to load it tonight (US CT) but anyone does it before me please report if that issues was addressed.
    I also don't have the battery guru app so first reports will be tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 06:25 AM
51 123