12-21-13 05:53 AM
51 123
tools
    I have a Wi-Fi battery burn rate issue on the 10.2.1.1055 leak that I haven't been able to resolve or find any information in searching the forums. When I enable Wi-Fi, I have a battery drain rate of .5 to .8 Watts. If I turn off WiFi, the battery burn rate is around .2 Watts, which is more what I was seeing before upgrading from 10.2.0.1047 to 10.2.1.1055. The interesting part is that, even when I am connected to a Wi-Fi network, it appears to be constantly searching for other networks... the "busy" circle is constantly on where I believe it was intermittent before.

I did see a couple of posts about removing the battery for an hour resoling some other battery burn issues so I tried that. The interesting part is that it did go back to the normal .2 Watt idle burn rate but, unfortunately, the next morning it had returned to the .8 Watt burn rate. Rebooting appears to have no impact on this problem. The only thing that returns it to a more normal idle burn rate is turning off Wi-Fi... Not what I really want to do.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Steve
    Z10
    11-25-13 05:40 PM
    Inconsistent wi-fi and wi-fi drain are all a part of the little "bugs" of this OS. I can't connect half the time to my wifis. When a new leak hits, I'm on it as I don't think there is a repair for this.

Welcome to CrackBerry BTW!
    11-25-13 05:56 PM
    Running the same OS - have zero issue with WiFi. In fact - I would say this is the best OS/WiFi I've used since BlackBerry 10 came out.

That being said - if the signal is low - it will take more power to maintain the signal - just like all wireless communications. If I'm in the yard or far side of the house using WiFi will consume more battery - being within the house and near the AP battery life will be on par.
    11-25-13 06:07 PM
    I've experienced that the wifi stays on a bit longer when leaving the wifi area so even though it shows there is no connection

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:22 PM
    I don't have the wifi spinning circle all the time - it stops after 5 seconds when you visit the wifi settings.

Regarding those power draw retaining, are you saying that your phone draws more power connected to wifi vs mobile data?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:25 PM
    I have a Wi-Fi battery burn rate issue on the 10.2.1.1055 leak that I haven't been able to resolve or find any information in searching the forums. When I enable Wi-Fi, I have a battery drain rate of .5 to .8 Watts. If I turn off WiFi, the battery burn rate is around .2 Watts, which is more what I was seeing before upgrading from 10.2.0.1047 to 10.2.1.1055. The interesting part is that, even when I am connected to a Wi-Fi network, it appears to be constantly searching for other networks... the "busy" circle is constantly on where I believe it was intermittent before.

I did see a couple of posts about removing the battery for an hour resoling some other battery burn issues so I tried that. The interesting part is that it did go back to the normal .2 Watt idle burn rate but, unfortunately, the next morning it had returned to the .8 Watt burn rate. Rebooting appears to have no impact on this problem. The only thing that returns it to a more normal idle burn rate is turning off Wi-Fi... Not what I really want to do.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Steve
    Z10
    Have you tried deleting all wifi that are saved and redoing them.
    Also did you do a wipe after install of the leak.

Posted from my Z30 with the CB10 App that doesn't work worth ****,
    11-25-13 06:38 PM
    Hmm having this bug as well...hopefully it will be fixed next leak
    11-25-13 06:43 PM
    Do you have battery drain on all WiFi connections?

I notice a 0.6-0.8W drain on my home WiFi but not on my connection at work. This drain has been consistent across all OS versions. I'm thinking it is my linksys router at home.

Z10 | STL100-4 | Verizon Wireless | 10.2.1.1055
    11-25-13 07:03 PM
    We need more control over wifi settings. Dropping tx power by a few dBm would help, especially if not needed.
    Control over roaming aggressiveness would also help, as would deleting previously linked AP'S.

Anyone's using wifi TPC like in UK getting great battery life?

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:44 PM
    I don't have the wifi spinning circle all the time - it stops after 5 seconds when you visit the wifi settings.

Regarding those power draw retaining, are you saying that your phone draws more power connected to wifi vs mobile data?

Posted via CB10
    My comments are basically when the phone is idle and doing nothing. If I stop Wi-Fi, it makes about a .5 Watt difference on power drain. It doesn't seem to matter what WiFi connection I have nor how strong the signal is. I really think it is the fact that, even when connected, it is constantly searching for other Wi-Fi... hence, the "busy" circle never ceases. Stopping mobile data, does not appear to have any impact on battery drain.

Regards, Steve
    BB Z10
    11-25-13 08:25 PM
    Have you tried deleting all wifi that are saved and redoing them.
    Also did you do a wipe after install of the leak.

Posted from my Z30 with the CB10 App that doesn't work worth ****,
    Actually, I didn't do a security wipe after installing the new version. That could be a contributing factor. I will try deleting all of the saved Wi-Fi definitions to see if that makes a difference. If not, I may resort to doing a security wipe and reload... Or I may just put up with it until the next leak.

Regards, Steve
    BB Z10
    11-25-13 08:28 PM
    My comments are basically when the phone is idle and doing nothing. If I stop Wi-Fi, it makes about a .5 Watt difference on power drain. It doesn't seem to matter what WiFi connection I have nor how strong the signal is. I really think it is the fact that, even when connected, it is constantly searching for other Wi-Fi... hence, the "busy" circle never ceases. Stopping mobile data, does not appear to have any impact on battery drain.

Regards, Steve
    BB Z10
    So if what you are saying it's true and you have one or more accounts that are set to push/constant connection , there is a huge problem. Wifi should use much less battery (3-5 times in idle, 5-10 times in active download like streaming videos ). No wonder why my phone seems to drain faster while I am at home. I will try it tomorrow with wifi off.
    Btw, how do you check the watts/amp drain?

Posted via CB10
    eywong likes this.
    11-25-13 10:41 PM
    Check the frequency of Wifi connection....

If you use 2.4GHz band then it consumes less power than 5.0GHz wifi band.

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 using CB10 App
    11-25-13 10:50 PM
    So if what you are saying it's true and you have one or more accounts that are set to push/constant connection , there is a huge problem. Wifi should use much less battery (3-5 times in idle, 5-10 times in active download like streaming videos ). No wonder why my phone seems to drain faster while I am at home. I will try it tomorrow with wifi off.
    Btw, how do you check the watts/amp drain?

Posted via CB10
    I use a battery app called "Battery Guru". It is a great app for showing real time battery usage as well as graphing historical usage. It also shows battery temperature and how much remaining battery time you have at the current usage. In addition, when connected to a charger, it will show remaining time to full charge. You can also set battery alarms. It is a good companion to the native "Device Monitor" application.

Regards, Steve
    BB Z10
    11-25-13 11:14 PM
    I may have solved the issue.

Go to Settings > Network and Connections > Wi-Fi > Advanced

Make sure there is no check mark in the "Prompt when a saved hotspot is found nearby"

This dropped my idle drain rate to -0.1 W, which is close to the 0.0 I normally get when just the network is turned on.
    Maxim Sidorov, Norg and yvpan1 like this.
    11-25-13 11:38 PM
    Actually, I didn't do a security wipe after installing the new version. That could be a contributing factor. I will try deleting all of the saved Wi-Fi definitions to see if that makes a difference. If not, I may resort to doing a security wipe and reload... Or I may just put up with it until the next leak.

Regards, Steve
    BB Z10
    hi. i actually am having the same problem. moreover i've done the wipe before. it still happens though.
    11-25-13 11:44 PM
    Confirm battery issue with 1055. It drains about 15-20% for overnight from 100%, but it was ok for me as device still can survive till evening.

Thanks for the hint in Advanced WiFi settings, hope this helps.
    11-26-13 12:54 AM

Any suggestions?

Regards, Steve
    Z10
    I'm experiencing the very same issue since updating to 10.2.1.1055
    I've since turned off the Search for Saved WiFi setting as suggested. Should know farelly quickly wether this solves the issue. Thanks JNCB.

Posted via CB10 using my handy dandy STL100-3 ~ 10.2.1.1055 ~ AT&T
    Last edited by gliveron; 11-26-13 at 01:36 AM.
    11-26-13 01:24 AM

Make sure there is no check mark in the "Prompt when a saved hotspot is found nearby"

This dropped my idle drain rate to -0.1 W, which is close to the 0.0 I normally get when just the network is turned on.

On my device running that build (STL100-4) I just checked idle drain using Battery Guru and it was .05w w/ wifi on, connected to a 5Ghz AP and "Prompt when a saved hotspot is found nearby" enabled.

I did a security wipe when installing AND restored from a 10.2 backup.

Caveat: I only have 2 saved SSID's on that device as it is a secondary device.
    11-26-13 01:43 AM

I had already unchecked this setting in my earlier attempts at solving the problem and it didn't have any impact on the battery burn. When I go to my Wi-Fi settings the "Busy Circle" is still constantly spinning rather than the previous behavior of checking for available nearby networks every few seconds. In other words the "Busy Circle" would spin for a few seconds, the available networks would be refreshed, and then it would pause until checking for networks again a little later. It is constantly spinning now, even with the "Check for nearby Hotspots" unchecked.
    11-26-13 12:32 PM
    on my end, it's the best OS for batteryWi-Fi Battery Drain on 10.2.1.1055-img_00000041.png

That is my worst day since I've installed 1055, but I watched a 2 hour video that day. Otherwise my battery stay over 70 % for a full day
    11-26-13 01:31 PM
    on my end, it's the best OS for batteryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000041.png 
Views:	672 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	224473

That is my worst day since I've installed 1055, but I watched a 2 hour video that day. Otherwise my battery stay over 70 % for a full day
    I'm using a 4800 battery and barely make it paste half day :-(

Wi-Fi Battery Drain on 10.2.1.1055-img_00000066.png

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 01:56 PM
    I feel your pain... But it have to be something else than the OS, because if it was the OS, I wouldn't get very good battery life on it.

edit: forgot to say, I'm 80 % of the time on Wifi.
    11-26-13 01:59 PM
    I'm using a 4800 battery and barely make it paste half day :-(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000066.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	224478

Posted via CB10
    1. if your battery doesn't make it past half a day, you have a defective battery.
    2. if you did not know that the percentage remaining estimate doesn't work with batteries larger than stock (there are at least 100 posts talking about how it will run for hours on 0%), then you have reading comprehension fail and should definitely do more reading before purchasing and using third party batteries.

By the way, your display is using 24% of your battery. Mine is 1.3-3.3%. You are obviously using the phone with the display on far higher than typical phone usage. Try turning off the display when you are done using it for the moment rather than letting it timeout and turn off on its own.
    11-26-13 02:22 PM
    I feel your pain... But it have to be something else than the OS, because if it was the OS, I wouldn't get very good battery life on it.

edit: forgot to say, I'm 80 % of the time on Wifi.
    Same here, I work from home and I'm only off wifi when I go out. I signed out of all my apps to see what will happen.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 02:24 PM
51 123