09-11-13 01:37 AM
26 12
tools
    Why haven't the brightness issues been addressed in these 10.2 leaks? The Q10 has the brightest dim setting in the industry. This was proven in brightness test. I know the top end brightness is reliant on ambient light, but there is no reason the dimmest setting should be so blindingly bright when I am in a pitch black room. My iPhone 5 is amazing in this regard.

Right now, my eyes are burning from the brightness as I lie in bed. Brightness turned all the way down. Is it so difficult to produce a dim image?
    09-07-13 12:41 AM
    Why haven't the brightness issues been addressed in these 10.2 leaks? The Q10 has the brightest dim setting in the industry. This was proven in brightness test. I know the top end brightness is reliant on ambient light, but there is no reason the dimmest setting should be so blindingly bright when I am in a pitch black room. My iPhone 5 is amazing in this regard.

Right now, my eyes are burning from the brightness as I lie in bed. Brightness turned all the way down. Is it so difficult to produce a dim image?
    you do understand the algorithm that that brightness is set off right? it doesn't need to be adjusted, it makes sense. I've never once had a issue of brightness with my Z10 or my Q10.

My Tab 3 on the other hand is absoultely horrible, I can't use auto setting because it's junk, it always wants to be dim as hell. I have to turn off auto and blast the brightness for it to be useful
    09-07-13 12:55 AM
    I have the too bright issue after install unlocked android runtime in all android app. After opening, the screen change to maximum brightness.
    With the old default runtime, it's not happen.
    09-07-13 01:24 AM
    Do you have a screen protector on your screen?
    If it covers the ambient light sensor then it will not auto dim properly.
    09-07-13 10:18 AM
    One of my bigger gripes with BlackBerry devices over the years. Makes it uncomfortable to GTD when hunkered down on the couch, or bed at night. Dark themes are the only remedy at this point.
    09-07-13 10:53 AM
    I think my ZedTen reads my mind. I read (novels) a lot on my phone (using Playepub) and whenever I think about the screen brightness, day or night, voila!, it automatically adjusts! And adjusts up or down according to my thoughts too!

Posted via CB10 on my ZedTen!
    09-07-13 12:03 PM
    My top end brightness is fine.

My problem is that the phone doesn't get dim enough. Was this not clear in my post?

The algorithm is not applicable in a dark room at night or in a movie theatre. No screen protector, slider all the way down. Screen like a sun.
    09-07-13 12:18 PM
    I think you have to set the brightness to 100% while in a dark room so the screen can become dim.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-07-13 01:48 PM

Well Q10 is oled Iphone is lcd.LCD>oled in brightness.Oleds only strength is battery save. If you put a Q10 next to a Q5 the Q5 has much brighter screen because its LCD.One of the major reasons why I dont like oled.And you get this dark theme crap,dark menus and all sorts.I dont get it how is darker screens of benefitt a device based on reading heavy data **** makes no sense.

When Z30 is out will check it out in the store.They stuck in quadcore cpu to boost oleds poor screen.Will be intresting to see up close next to my z10 and other devices.Sad thing really at this rate im not sure I will get an IPS.LCD screen at 5inch plus.
    09-07-13 02:16 PM
    Simple, turn on your light.

You're making your eyes worse.
    09-07-13 03:03 PM
    I am with the OP here - the screen is way to bright at the dimmest setting. AMOF, I keep it at minimum day at night.

Symbian, Maeemo, Symbian, WebOS, Android, and finally the best of all - BB10
    09-07-13 07:55 PM
    It would be great if BlackBerry gave us the option to turn off the auto brightness sensor and give us a true brightness toggle.

Unfortunately, BlackBerry has gone for the route of having the auto brightness sensor on all the time(when the screen is on) and the brightness toggle that they have is really to toggle how sensitive the sensor is.

And I agree, the lowest dimness the screen can get is still too bright for some circumstance.

With my old phone, when I am in a theatre and my phone vibrates, I am not scared to take out my phone and check if it is an important alert because I could set the screen so dim that it wouldn't disturb others. I wouldn't dare do the same with my Z10.

Remember, not everyone's eyes are the same, your level of dimness might not be the same for another.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    21stNow likes this.
    09-07-13 08:50 PM
    Isn't this how it works though: when you put it on the highest setting it's 100% when in sunlight and very dim when in a darker area. When put on the lowest setting it's 0% when in sunlight and brightest when in the dark? Isn't it like a reversal?

09-07-13 08:59 PM
    I am with the OP here - the screen is way to bright at the dimmest setting. AMOF, I keep it at minimum day at night.

Symbian, Maeemo, Symbian, WebOS, Android, and finally the best of all - BB10
    Exactly right. The auto dimming feature of the Q10 is borked. There should be an option to turn it off.
    09-07-13 09:02 PM
    On the Z10, the problem is the opposite, for me anyway. In a dark room, the algorithm overcompensates and the screen gets too dim. The rest of the time it's fine.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    09-07-13 09:26 PM
    On the Z10, the problem is the opposite, for me anyway. In a dark room, the algorithm overcompensates and the screen gets too dim. The rest of the time it's fine.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    Well that's if it's on 0%. The algorithm works great on 50% for me.

09-07-13 09:37 PM
    My Tab 3 on the other hand is absoultely horrible, I can't use auto setting because it's junk, it always wants to be dim as hell. I have to turn off auto and blast the brightness for it to be useful
    There's an app called "lux" which works really well to adjust android brightness.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:43 PM
    Well that's if it's on 0%. The algorithm works great on 50% for me.
    No. I have it set to about 60% and it's still too dim in a dark room. It's readable, but dim enough to cause eyestrain.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    09-07-13 10:11 PM
    There's an app called "lux" which works really well to adjust android brightness.

Posted via CB10
    There's another called Velis that I've found to be even better than Lux, but both are good.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    katesbb likes this.
    09-07-13 10:12 PM
    No. I have it set to about 60% and it's still too dim in a dark room. It's readable, but dim enough to cause eyestrain.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    Well we all have different eye strengths so I guess it's different for everyone.

09-07-13 10:18 PM
    Well we all have different eye strengths so I guess it's different for everyone.
    It could be that, but I suspect it's actually quality control differences among individual devices. When the Z10 was first released, Kevin documented that devices side-by-side with the same settings had very different perceived brightnesses.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-07-13 10:30 PM
    It could be that, but I suspect it's actually quality control differences among individual devices. When the Z10 was first released, Kevin documented that devices side-by-side with the same settings had very different perceived brightnesses.

Sent from Tapatalk.
    True, every device has a different scale when it comes to brightness. For me it's a non issue, but again I'm not everyone.

09-07-13 10:37 PM
    Exactly right. The auto dimming feature of the Q10 is borked. There should be an option to turn it off.
    I agree. People have different levels of eye sight and taste. Having an option to turn this off or on would be great!

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    09-07-13 10:58 PM
    agree with OP. this is one of the complain I have for my Q10 as I read at night, I have to tilt it at an angle to read. thank goodness for Dark Reader mode in 10.2 browser as well as Playebook dark mode. auto-dimming never works well in almost all the phones I had, the settings should be there to disable it.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 07:55 AM
    Well Q10 is oled Iphone is lcd.LCD>.....They stuck in quadcore cpu to boost oleds poor screen.Will be intresting to see up close next to my z10 and other devices.Sad thing really at this rate im not sure I will get an IPS.LCD screen at 5inch plus.
    you're kidding right?
    09-08-13 05:37 PM
26 12