01-27-14 11:16 AM
58 123
tools
    Cause their bladders are full.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:43 AM
    As I remember reading when there were leaks almost every other week, the leaks came from beta testers who sort of indirectly worked for BlackBerry. Maybe, occasionally from an actual insider who had access. Generally, actual insiders tended to only provided confirmation of something to a forum member. But not actual OS files.

In other words, BlackBerry already has a group of beta testers - all under NDAs.

Also, what was being worked in internally at BlackBerry in Waterloo were generally many builds higher already than whatever was just leaked. So usually, any bugs people found and posted about in the forums were likely already fixed.

It's also possible that many of those beta testers were let go during the rounds of lay-offs that occurred. That may be why the tap has been closed off to just an occasional drip. Could very well not have been just the result of the leaker crackdown we heard about last Dec.,

But, even that is all just a guess until BlackBerry confirms or denies any of this. How soon do you think that will happen?

Posted via CB10
    Finally a solid/dramaless answer that makes sense.
    01-23-14 10:43 AM
    Cause their bladders are full.

Posted via CB10
    You are late to the party. Someone already made the urine joke.
    01-23-14 10:45 AM
    Hahaha darn. I didn't read the entire thread. Joke came instantly to me and posted it -_-.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rajbir01; 01-23-14 at 07:26 PM.
    01-23-14 10:53 AM
    When I watch on TV a race, does that make me a racist?
    01-23-14 10:56 AM
    When I watch on TV a race, does that make me a racist?
    Nah it just make you a redneck.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-23-14 11:00 AM
    TROLOLOLOLO
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-23-14 11:02 AM
    Anyone remember this thread? http://forums.crackberry.com/general...iously-879972/

So if BB supports leaks, why would they fire leakers?
    That was really kind of a troll thread where the OP raged about the prospect that a leaker MIGHT be fired. I don't think anyone in this community is aware of that actually happening.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    01-23-14 11:13 AM
    BB and Leak are two words that go hand in hand. It is just the normal thing to have happening. And it provides great feedback on builds. I honestly would bet that leaks are completely intentional as to garner a sense of what us the consumer likes and dislikes. They get beta testers for free and they find out about a work around to any issues before a worldwide release of said software. It would be detrimental to them if the leaks stopped.
    01-23-14 01:08 PM
    This thread should be closed.

For OP, same to your own question. Why would you post such a question, as it will not gain you anything, and it could potentially cause trouble to the leakers how had been great contributors to blackberry communities!
    01-23-14 01:14 PM
    This thread should be closed.

For OP, same to your own question. Why would you post such a question, as it will not gain you anything, and it could potentially cause trouble to the leakers how had been great contributors to blackberry communities!
    He asked because he was curious, and gained several answers in the form of theories (because we don't truly have concrete knowledge). It won't cause any trouble to anyone who leaks, because they already know why they leak.

Posted via CB10
    propeller10 and Mr.Monty like this.
    01-23-14 01:47 PM
    Why do Boogers Boog?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-23-14 02:16 PM
    For the amount of leaks there are for every update I'd say it's intentional. It's good it keeps tech guys happy by giving them stuff to play with and perhaps the leaks also have built in software that fires back performance information to BlackBerry. If I was BlackBerry I'd definitely do that. Nothing is free

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    01-23-14 02:23 PM
    I think could be 2 reasons:

1. To share what they found. Like some people post in here when they receive an update or anything. No explanation probably for this.

2. Beta testers is not always a good way to reach different range of users (mostly is people with knowledge), but, if you leak something, many people will install it (even users with zero knowledge that you will never reach through a Beta) and I'm pretty sure the company from that the leaks come, they check the forums.

I don't know, just thoughts, but you can also apply the WikiLeaks concept, why people will risk their lives giving vital info, classified docs to a "website"?
    01-23-14 02:42 PM
    There's one explanation that hasn't been given here yet: leaking an OS is an ego trip. It's the leaker's statement to the world that he has access to important stuff.

I'll still stand my statement that BB leaks don't tend to be accidental, but of course it would be a great power trip to be able to give away something the rest of the world doesn't have access to.
    Fret Madden and Uzi like this.
    01-23-14 04:34 PM
    Blackberry has policy against leaks because they do not want to hold liability and support to the "testers" who install Leaks.

Blackberry Employee (especially their QA) leaks OS have many benefits, first, they got more volunteer QAs to find the bugs, to help improve product quality with lower cost; Secondly, leaking OS actually also gain popularity for Blackberry. Believe it or not, many people on the Crackberry forum, consider installing leaks to make their devices most up to date, is one of the fun to own a Blackberry device.
    this is so true!
    01-23-14 04:40 PM
    Same thing.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 05:03 PM
    He asked because he was curious, and gained several answers in the form of theories (because we don't truly have concrete knowledge). It won't cause any trouble to anyone who leaks, because they already know why they leak.

Posted via CB10
    Even though the thread started out with corny repetitive jokes by people who could not move past the title, it ended up getting some great responses. I have been wanting to ask this question for a while since I was legitimately curious about the people behind leaks. I don't why some people were angered, annoyed (and even offended) by my question especially when the question had such a neutral tone. It was worth it though since there were theories that made plenty of sense to me.
    01-23-14 05:03 PM
    Even though the thread started out with corny repetitive jokes by people who could not move past the title, it ended up getting some great responses. I have been wanting to ask this question for a while since I was legitimately curious about the people behind leaks. I don't why some people were angered, annoyed (and even offended) by my question especially when the question had such a neutral tone. It was worth it though since there were theories that made plenty of sense to me.
    I'm actually surprised no one piped up with "search the threads!", being that it's a go-to answer for some; as far as the negative replies, perhaps they're just cranky because the leaks aren't coming every couple hours as they were.

Posted via CB10
    propeller10 likes this.
    01-23-14 06:19 PM
    BlackBerry did crack down on leakers firing them.

Running 10.2.1.2195
    01-23-14 07:32 PM

Hey, did I ever tell you the one about Chicken... and the Road????
    Fret Madden likes this.
    01-24-14 02:53 AM
    That was really kind of a troll thread where the OP raged about the prospect that a leaker MIGHT be fired. I don't think anyone in this community is aware of that actually happening.

Not only have I seen public statements from BlackBerry executives that make it abundantly clear that they are not particularly happy about the various leaks that get out, I do believe they have (just like MOST vendors of software products or products that include software) specific company rules about this, ie if you leak internal software to the public you can and will be terminated.

Also, another factor that hasn't yet been mentioned here is - if there are fewer carriers selling your product, and fewer products being sold and fewer companies beta-testing it, there are fewer people outside the company with their hands on those builds. And of course internally, there are far fewer BlackBerry employees than there were 6 months ago.

Also note that when the software is leaked it takes away the PR power of the company to blow their own horn and market their product's advantages. Under Chen we found a near disappearance of leaks (the last major one was about a month after he was named CEO), and now we see Michael Clewley making daily posts on his BBM Channel touting the various new features of 10.2.1, one by one.

I don't think those things are unrelated. BlackBerry probably wants more control over their marketing message, and allowing various blogs to break news about your product before you do takes that away from them, and runs the risk of sending a message about a feature or release that you don't want to send.
    acovey likes this.
    01-24-14 03:05 AM
    Why does anybody care why they do it. Just be thankful that they do.

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    01-24-14 05:34 PM
    Not only have I seen public statements from BlackBerry executives that make it abundantly clear that they are not particularly happy about the various leaks that get out, I do believe they have (just like MOST vendors of software products or products that include software) specific company rules about this, ie if you leak internal software to the public you can and will be terminated.

Also, another factor that hasn't yet been mentioned here is - if there are fewer carriers selling your product, and fewer products being sold and fewer companies beta-testing it, there are fewer people outside the company with their hands on those builds. And of course internally, there are far fewer BlackBerry employees than there were 6 months ago.

Also note that when the software is leaked it takes away the PR power of the company to blow their own horn and market their product's advantages. Under Chen we found a near disappearance of leaks (the last major one was about a month after he was named CEO), and now we see Michael Clewley making daily posts on his BBM Channel touting the various new features of 10.2.1, one by one.

I don't think those things are unrelated. BlackBerry probably wants more control over their marketing message, and allowing various blogs to break news about your product before you do takes that away from them, and runs the risk of sending a message about a feature or release that you don't want to send.
    I think they read my post I made on one of the leak threads about leaks ruining surprises. Which in turn is ruins a company which right now needs surprises to actually attract consumers with something new! Plus the fact is it gives the competition sometime to actually get these new things before we get it officially :/ and improve on their BlackBerry's ideas which is just wrong.

Let's just say leaks are like a double edged sword... You could hurt BlackBerry or just wait a little and get the same thing. I'd rather have the occasional leak anyways because I actually like BlackBerry as a business and a company. I want them to one of the greats again. I like how they think and how they are welcoming and seem more like a family not some corporate puppets. They're open and transparent, plus the fact they are kind enough to not even actually pin block leakers! I'm sure they could have done a better job with the pin block in hiding it within the autoloader's handler and the interface.

Finally they are probably the last of the innovators which actually invent things.. BlackBerry is ranked 15th last year for submitted patents in the world, they got to be creating stuff and inventing to submit patents? Plus imagine what some of them patents are! They submitted like 1300+ patents last year! That number is not nothing, that's a lot... Not even Intel submits as much :/

Posted via CB10
    garrett1972 likes this.
    01-24-14 10:24 PM
    I think they read my post I made on one of the leak threads about leaks ruining surprises.

With all due respect, I don't think they need to read anyone's post here to know that software leaks can take away the ability of the vendor to present news on their own schedule.

BlackBerry as a business and a company. I want them to one of the greats again. I like how they think and how they are welcoming and seem more like a family not some corporate puppets. They're open and transparent...

I'm not going to agree 100% on all those things but I do agree that there are a variety of things about how they operate that I like better than the major competition. To mention a couple of sore points with the compeition in particular - Apple's elitism and Google's sneakiness.

BlackBerry is ranked 15th last year for submitted patents in the world, they got to be creating stuff and inventing to submit patents? Plus imagine what some of them patents are! They submitted like 1300+ patents last year! That number is not nothing, that's a lot... Not even Intel submits as much :/

That's an interesting statistic. I've looked up their patents before but had no idea there were that many submitted last year.

Looks like they were #29 on the granted patents list last year in the USA:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/...af/topo_12.htm
    Last edited by Omnitech; 01-25-14 at 01:17 AM.
    01-25-14 01:04 AM
58 123