01-27-14 11:16 AM
58 123
tools
    I've always wondered about this. I am assuming the leakers are blackberry employees. What do they have to gain by leaking especially when it is against the company policy to do so?
    01-23-14 08:24 AM
    Same reason haters hate?
    01-23-14 08:26 AM
    And players play?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:26 AM
    Same reason runners run?
    01-23-14 08:27 AM
    And ballers ball

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:27 AM
    Could be any number of reasons.

1. They don't like their employer.
    2. They are thick (as two short planks).
    3. It's not an employee leaking its the business, its a slick way of user testing without admitting there is an official update coming out. "Oh no, thats not official, that was a leaked OS we were toying with to test stuff!".
    4. As previous updates....... because they can!
    01-23-14 08:30 AM
    You just answered to your own questions!
    Obviously since u named them leakers, then that's what they do! Leak stuffs! X_x

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    01-23-14 08:32 AM
    Could be any number of reasons.

1. They don't like their employer.
    2. They are thick (as two short planks).
    3. It's not an employee leaking its the business, its a slick way of user testing without admitting there is an official update coming out. "Oh no, thats not official, that was a leaked OS we were toying with to test stuff!".
    4. As previous updates....... because they can!
    " 3. It's not an employee leaking its the business, its a slick way of user testing without admitting there is an official update coming out. "Oh no, thats not official, that was a leaked OS we were toying with to test stuff!". "

Why not do beta testing instead of leaking? That way they can set up a feedback system and receive bug reports.
    01-23-14 08:33 AM
    You just answered to your own questions!
    Obviously since u named them leakers, then that's what they do! Leak stuffs! X_x

The title says "WHY do leakers leak?" not "What do leakers do?"
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-23-14 08:36 AM
    " 3. It's not an employee leaking its the business, its a slick way of user testing without admitting there is an official update coming out. "Oh no, thats not official, that was a leaked OS we were toying with to test stuff!". "

Why not do beta testing instead of leaking? That way they can set up a feedback system and receive bug reports.
    ^^^
    This

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-23-14 08:37 AM
    The title says "WHY do leakers leak?" not "What do leakers do?"
    Why do teachers teach? or why do drivers drive? Cuz that's what they do!
    Damn!!!

01-23-14 08:38 AM
    Same reason haters hate?
    And players play?

Posted via CB10
    Same reason runners run?
    And ballers ball

Posted via CB10
    Do aligators, aligate?
    sibeans likes this.
    01-23-14 08:44 AM
    Do aligators, aligate?
    Is this a Simpsons reference? It was Ralph who said it I think.

Why do teachers teach? or why do drivers drive? Cuz that's what they do!
    Damn!!!

Look at the original post. It says "I've always wondered about this. I am assuming the leakers are blackberry employees. What do they have to gain by leaking especially when it is against the company policy to do so?"
    Do you see my expanded question? If not, you should get your eyes checked.

Oh and drivers drive so they can get from point A to point B, and teachers teach because they want to educate the world. So now my question is WHY do these blackberry employees leak and put their jobs at risk? If you can't grasp what I'm asking then kindly leave.
    Last edited by propeller10; 01-23-14 at 10:48 AM.
    01-23-14 08:47 AM
    I've always wondered about this. I am assuming the leakers are blackberry employees. What do they have to gain by leaking especially when it is against the company policy to do so?
    My theory is the leaks come from the carriers, not actual BlackBerry employees. In other words, when a carrier is given a new OS to test on their system. It seems a lot of the leaks come from across the Atlantic and unless something has changed, the BlackBerry employees working on the software are in Waterloo, not Europe.
    01-23-14 08:54 AM
    Plain and simple... Because "we" want the leaks.
    01-23-14 08:55 AM
    My theory is the leaks come from the carriers, not actual BlackBerry employees. In other words, when a carrier is given a new OS to test on their system. It seems a lot of the leaks come from across the Atlantic and unless something has changed, the BlackBerry employees working on the software are in Waterloo, not Europe.
    I remember reading that all these leaks come from blackberry employees. After all Blackberry only makes final builds available to carriers. So the early builds must come from within Blackberry.
    01-23-14 08:59 AM
    I agree that it is a form of Beta testing. I understand that they could simply just Beta test but this gives them some plausible deniability of sorts.
    01-23-14 09:55 AM
    Blackberry has policy against leaks because they do not want to hold liability and support to the "testers" who install Leaks.

Blackberry Employee (especially their QA) leaks OS have many benefits, first, they got more volunteer QAs to find the bugs, to help improve product quality with lower cost; Secondly, leaking OS actually also gain popularity for Blackberry. Believe it or not, many people on the Crackberry forum, consider installing leaks to make their devices most up to date, is one of the fun to own a Blackberry device.
    frannip likes this.
    01-23-14 10:00 AM
    Leakers leak to satisfy the demand for leaks. I want leaks. The first rule of leak club is we do not talk about leak club.
    Thunderbuck, m1kr0, moyah8 and 2 others like this.
    01-23-14 10:18 AM
    Well, sometimes when I drink a lot of water and get super busy with work, I forget.........oh, not that leak ;(

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:19 AM
    Becasue Race Car!
    01-23-14 10:22 AM
    IMHO it's like Open Beta testing.

It's leaked with BlackBerry permission.

the best way to reach few thousand beta testers: leak, read Feedback, fix.
    01-23-14 10:27 AM
    OP is looking at this like the BB engineers live in some kind of vacuum.

There's a community here, and the developers are part of it. Now, in truth, I think very little gets leaked without some kind of tacit approval, because there's value in the community's feedback. When you see significant (and largely complete) versions being leaked, it's because there's some management support behind getting it out into the wild.
    Fret Madden likes this.
    01-23-14 10:33 AM
    As I remember reading when there were leaks almost every other week, the leaks came from beta testers who sort of indirectly worked for BlackBerry. Maybe, occasionally from an actual insider who had access. Generally, actual insiders tended to only provided confirmation of something to a forum member. But not actual OS files.

In other words, BlackBerry already has a group of beta testers - all under NDAs.

Also, what was being worked in internally at BlackBerry in Waterloo were generally many builds higher already than whatever was just leaked. So usually, any bugs people found and posted about in the forums were likely already fixed.

It's also possible that many of those beta testers were let go during the rounds of lay-offs that occurred. That may be why the tap has been closed off to just an occasional drip. Could very well not have been just the result of the leaker crackdown we heard about last Dec.,

But, even that is all just a guess until BlackBerry confirms or denies any of this. How soon do you think that will happen?

Posted via CB10
    Fret Madden and propeller10 like this.
    01-23-14 10:41 AM
    Anyone remember this thread? http://forums.crackberry.com/general...iously-879972/

So if BB supports leaks, why would they fire leakers?
    01-23-14 10:41 AM
58 123