06-17-15 08:27 AM
187 ... 45678
tools
    I think that until everyone is officially on 10.3.1 we can't all have a constructive conversation on the topic. Personally I think the 10.3.1 leaks are way faster and the official release will only improve that. While my Z10 might not be quite as smooth as the latest iPhone it's also a year older and way underpowered comparatively. The OS needs improvements but it certainly isn't bad. If you notice stuttering when switching apps has a lot more to do with which apps they are than anything else. Something tells me this is simply the apps misbehaving and the OS just let's them run in the background a little too freely? Not enough priority on the main UI? Not sure but it's definitely a bug somewhere causing this and I'm sure they will do everything they can to fix it but they only have a finite amount of resources.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 07:55 PM
    Also the iPhone is definitely smoother. I wouldn't ever get myself one but if you think it's not.... Ehhh you might be a little delusional. Granted new updates tend to slow it down to unacceptable levels which so far has been the opposite of the trend on BB10 so we have that advantage. My Z10 just keeps getting better even close to the 2 year mark.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 07:57 PM
    Anyone claiming everything's running fluidly should get their 'real world eyes framerate' checked. Maybe you need to get an iPhone 6 and do a side-by-side to help collaborate what fluidity actually looks like (not comparing the newer hardware but actually learning what smooth looks like...).

I can see you defending the progress but at the same if you claim this experience is super smooth you need first world help. I love my blackberry but I'm tired of seeing children doing amazing tasks with blistering speeds on their iPhones while here I am with a business tier (marketed as) phone and can barely do microsoft paint level operations in a timely manner.

I personally believe my problems arise from major cpu throttling, for that coveted "battery life"; I don't cripple my laptop just for battery life unless I absolutely must, but my phone behaves as if a computer that had everything throttled & crippled just to further a claim that needs an asterisk;

**battery life comes from crippling user experience, forcibly diming the disply, undermining the cpu, etc-- to give state of the art battery life...** this philosophy is like a diet where you lose weight by not eating and starving yourself to get the results...

Again, some people may need to collaborate what smooth looks like, if your claiming everything is super smooth, lets start from the beginning. Take your finger and swipe back and forth on your icons on your home page, and if you call what you see, in sync with your finger... then please visit an eye doctor, or consult with an English teacher because you don't know the meaning of smooth in regards to fluidity.

Yes there are many many things to love about the phone and be excited for in the future, but no one wants to use slow \ sluggish technology... That's like one of the key statements of a good engineering team is fast and efficient software. No one likes to use slow anything. The faster it is, the better it is... why bother trying to argue that slow is good when you know it's not?

If you're okay with slow and like to move slowly and not fly through tasks then that's you--but for me every second matters when it comes to productivity. That's why I like hardware keyboards, they're the fastest. Unfortunately performing tasks on my blackberry doesn't tell the same story. And I'm making a big deal of this because I hope they aren't seriously ignoring engineering for speed because they might be as some of you clearly are.

All in all, I'm not saying it's the slowest thing ever; but it's arguably the slowest current gen product out there.
    can't agree you more on that ! Thanks for sharing
    12-15-14 01:39 AM
    I am glad there are others out there who too share the same meticulous frustrations like mine! I definitely agree.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberrychen and awakerman like this.
    12-15-14 02:01 AM
    Ok folks, but if you are not satisfied with the situation with regards to lag/unresponsiveness, please be sure to raise with BlackBerry and Michael Clewley (politely).

Quite funny that a month after I was ridiculed on this forum for pointing out the same problems (in spite of them having been backed up by video evidence from multiple sources and an acknowledgement from BlackBerry), folk are still coming forward complaining about the same things.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberrychen likes this.
    12-15-14 08:42 AM
    I have been using BlackBerry since 2006, and I was so disappointed with BlackBerry 10 OS.

I got my passport not long time, before that, I use BlackBerry Z10, I tried every leaked and official OS, but some of the interactions seems not running smoothly, I thought that might caused by low CPU and RAM, that's why I changed to BlackBerry Passport which has a over 2ghz CPU, and a 3GB RAM.

But still I found nothing has been improved, UI transitions and interactions are weigh far from smooth, Look at android and iOS, they have been improving ever since they release a update, I can't see these changes on BlackBerry OS.....For my understanding, it's just about UI transitions, why does BlackBerry team ignore those imperative changes.

I can show you the evidence through comparison between BlackBerry 10 and Android and iOS. I'm not talking about the running speed for an app like games, that's completely no problem for me, the problems I mentioned is that the UI transitions.. For example, when you open settings, change your quick settings, the reaction seems like in a slow pace compared with those highend Android devices.

When you delete an app or toggle down the wifi setting, look at the pop up window transition. is that called smooth?

There are several places where the performance needs to be improved. Another is opening text messages. The screen sometimes goes berzerk when opening a text, or just sending a new one. These have been present for a while, since the 10.0 days.

When you try iphone 5 and high end android devices, the UI transitions not gonna work as poor as BlackBerry passport does.

PS: I have an iPhone 6 plus, Samsung S5, and a BlackBerry passport, BlackBerry bold 9900, BlackBerry Z10.

UPDATE FROM #118 what claneyy said:
    Anyone claiming everything's running fluidly should get their 'real world eyes framerate' checked. Maybe you need to get an iPhone 6 and do a side-by-side to help collaborate what fluidity actually looks like (not comparing the newer hardware but actually learning what smooth looks like...).

I can see you defending the progress but at the same if you claim this experience is super smooth you need first world help. I love my blackberry but I'm tired of seeing children doing amazing tasks with blistering speeds on their iPhones while here I am with a business tier (marketed as) phone and can barely do microsoft paint level operations in a timely manner.

I personally believe my problems arise from major cpu throttling, for that coveted "battery life"; I don't cripple my laptop just for battery life unless I absolutely must, but my phone behaves as if a computer that had everything throttled & crippled just to further a claim that needs an asterisk;

**battery life comes from crippling user experience, forcibly diming the disply, undermining the cpu, etc-- to give state of the art battery life...** this philosophy is like a diet where you lose weight by not eating and starving yourself to get the results...

Again, some people may need to collaborate what smooth looks like, if your claiming everything is super smooth, lets start from the beginning. Take your finger and swipe back and forth on your icons on your home page, and if you call what you see, in sync with your finger... then please visit an eye doctor, or consult with an English teacher because you don't know the meaning of smooth in regards to fluidity.

Yes there are many many things to love about the phone and be excited for in the future, but no one wants to use slow \ sluggish technology... That's like one of the key statements of a good engineering team is fast and efficient software. No one likes to use slow anything. The faster it is, the better it is... why bother trying to argue that slow is good when you know it's not?

If you're okay with slow and like to move slowly and not fly through tasks then that's you--but for me every second matters when it comes to productivity. That's why I like hardware keyboards, they're the fastest. Unfortunately performing tasks on my blackberry doesn't tell the same story. And I'm making a big deal of this because I hope they aren't seriously ignoring engineering for speed because they might be as some of you clearly are.

All in all, I'm not saying it's the slowest thing ever; but it's arguably the slowest current gen product out there.
    BlackBerry and Passport specifically is for enterprise... I personally don't think they will ever be something like iOS or Android...which are aimed at consumers who are looking for that WOW and COOL factor....but this is just my opinion...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-15-14 09:00 AM
    "All in all, I'm not saying it's the slowest thing ever; but it's arguably the slowest current gen product out there."

oh come on, gtfo you dont believe that bull**** yourself either
    12-15-14 09:06 AM
    I can do things much faster on my passport then my previous iphone.

Yes the iphone might be a little more fluid overall but the whole in and out of apps and home button doesn't match the gestures and hub in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 11:57 AM
    Comparison of the Z10 to the iPhone 6 smooth transitions. A 2 year old phone to one just released. Why not compare the iPhone 5 with the new operating system.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 12:12 PM
    Lol compared tios and android really? I see s5's and note 4's lag, iPhone 6 and 6+!! A customer came into our store for a data and I had to turn pff his wifi on his i6, pressed the toggle, nothing, again, nothing, after 5 seconds, it started reacting to touches, so it went on and off, on and off

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 12:25 PM
    Lol compared tios and android really? I see s5's and note 4's lag, iPhone 6 and 6+!! A customer came into our store for a data and I had to turn pff his wifi on his i6, pressed the toggle, nothing, again, nothing, after 5 seconds, it started reacting to touches, so it went on and off, on and off

Posted via CB10
    Compared to Android, BB10 is probably smoother.

Then again, pretty much anything is.

Anyway, I really don't get this 'other handsets have problems too!' argument. If there's a problem, acknowledge it and fix it (to be fair, BlackBerry have made improvements in 10.3.1).

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 12:32 PM
    Are you joking? BB10 is one of the smoothest mobile operating system.. maybe you are very unlucky and keep purchasing bad devices.. that's the only explanation I see :s

Posted via CB10
    I just did a swipe of my apps on the home screen and were very fast. There's no lag at all. I don't need to visit and ophthalmologist as I have a 20/20 vision.

I have several native and android apps installed from Amazon and Snap.

I need to compare it with an iPhone 6.

It's More Fun using Blackberry Q10 - 10.3.1.1154
    12-15-14 12:48 PM
    The Passport had seen maybe 1 OS update since release, if that. Relax. It's a brand new device that will continue to be optimized in future OS releases.

As for your three specific issues:

1: Yes, any device will slow down when syncing a ton of messages.

2: Yes, a slow or nearly full MicroSD card will slow things up. That's not a fault of the OS, it's because the card is slow. A system is limited by its weakest performing component. Also bear in mind iPhone has no removable storage, and Android is moving away from removable storage as well.

3: BlackBerry have done a good job of developing their Android VM. It's going to continue to be improved, I think it was better in 10.2, so sit tight. Also, I'll remind you that no other phone OS has the ability to natively download, install, and run apps from another platform.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 12:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah my sister in law has a note 3 that lags really badly. Takes like 5 seconds to open the settings.

These anecdotes are worthless though. You can't compare anything without a factory reset of two devices and then comparing basic transitions one to one. Imo.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-16-14 12:52 AM
    Yeah my sister in law has a note 3 that lags really badly. Takes like 5 seconds to open the settings.

This is just about the biggest lie I've ever seen.

Z10 10.3.1.1016
    12-16-14 12:56 AM

Z10 10.3.1.1016
    Lol. There's obviously something wrong with her phone was my point. Learn some manners.

12-16-14 01:01 AM

Z10 10.3.1.1016
    doubt it, on my s4 it took 15 seconds just to open the contacts
    12-16-14 01:09 AM
    It happens. It isn't the norm but the fact is that an android phone can and usually does get pretty messed up and slow if you use it for two years without wiping it. Can't speak to BB10 not having that issue though...

I think every platform exhibits this issue and we shouldn't pretend BB10 is somehow miles ahead in this regard. It really depends on what you do with your phone more than anything.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    12-16-14 02:13 AM
    It may be true, Android phones will be laggy and buggy after weeks of heavy use, especially when you installed untrusted apps or broke something of the system, I have seen a lot of Android phones like that.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:25 AM

Z10 10.3.1.1016
    I have seen worse than that.

It's More Fun using Blackberry Q10 - 10.3.1.1154
    12-19-14 02:32 AM
    BlackBerry and Passport specifically is for enterprise... I personally don't think they will ever be something like iOS or Android...which are aimed at consumers who are looking for that WOW and COOL factor....but this is just my opinion...
    I don't think so! When Android and iOS user look at BlackBerry Z10, Z30 and Passport devices they go "Wowwwwwwwwwww! That's a BlackBerry? Amazing! I want one of those". I think BlackBerry is getting back on the run, but they need to do more marketing work; that's the real difference between BB and other platforms.
    12-19-14 01:44 PM
    I don't think so! When Android and iOS user look at BlackBerry Z10, Z30 and Passport devices they go "Wowwwwwwwwwww! That's a BlackBerry? Amazing! I want one of those". I think BlackBerry is getting back on the run, but they need to do more marketing work; that's the real difference between BB and other platforms.
    Ummm wish it was that simple....users around me ask me about simple feature such a increasing / reducing brightness and volume while on the video window...without leaving it, minimising it or without using a third party application....these are the kind of features which wows them...

Also how many of those wow sayers really bought a BlackBerry post saying that?

And this is just my opinion based on what I hear from iOS and Android users...

Why the BlackBerry 10 OS can not running smoothly-img_20141220_174855_edit1.png

Why the BlackBerry 10 OS can not running smoothly-img_20141220_174848_edit.png

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-20-14 07:22 AM
    Facepalm at this thread

Posted via CB10
    geodorn likes this.
    12-20-14 01:19 PM
    Pages upon pages of comments and no real purpose to this thread...
    meltbox360 and thedose like this.
    12-20-14 02:43 PM
    Anyway, I really don't get this 'other handsets have problems too!' argument. If there's a problem, acknowledge it and fix it (to be fair, BlackBerry have made improvements in 10.3.1).
    I agree. and I wish they would all make fixes.

And that people would stop talking such crazy extreme positions. :-)
    12-22-14 09:50 AM
187 ... 45678