06-17-15 07:27 AM
187 ... 34567 ...
tools
    It's not about ignoring... these slowdowns often happen when you restore from a previous BB10 or when you do a OTA update... a clean SIC wipe and direct install to 10.3.1 made all the difference.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I've installed from clean wipes multiple times. Doesn't change the fact that deleting multiple files at once causes noticeable lag on my BB10 devices. If your phone doesn't have that problem, than please upload a video of it deleting several selected photos at once without lagging. I'd really love to see it done because as far as I can tell, they all do it. Or atleast every single last one of them that I've tried it on has. Maybe I've just had bad luck.
    Blackberrychen and micher like this.
    12-12-14 05:01 PM
    I have a genuine Sandisk 128GB card it mine and it absolutely flies even with thousands of hi res photos taken with my Panasonic Lumix camera. After the initial indexing procedure scrolling through the thumbnails are buttery smooth and not like my Samsung devices where if you scroll too fast you actually have to wait for the thumbnails to populate as you scroll through them and yes, this is on the latest so called "high end" devices as the OP refers them as.
    Damn I need to get a legit one, got mine off ebay for 25$ free delivery from Hong Kong, guess I can't expect much for that price lol, looks legit but when you use it you can tell it's a fake! Guess I know what I'm hunting for on boxing day

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 05:50 PM
    Yep - on the more recent hardware. My iPod Touch became the most miserable thing for lag after my Kindle following an update. My coworker bitches about her iPad following iOS 8 and my old GF complains about her iPhone 4S under iOS 8 as well.

Apple does a killer job for an out of the box smooth experience. But my experience is that does not stick after some updates. I suspect it's deliberate to encourage hardware updates.
    Apple has had a tendency, since iOS 7, to optimise its software for newer devices first. iPhone 4 had terrible input lag until iOS 7.1 was released. After that, it ran pretty smooth. No choppy animations, fewer input lag. It was slow nonetheless, apps took longer to load, but it did run reasonably well after that. iOS 8 is the same story for the iPhone 4S and other devices. It will be optimised in the coming months. I think Apple's problem is that they can't keep up the pace anymore and prefer to release software too quickly, just to have a consistent annual release cycle. Rather than wasting precious resources on older devices, they'd obviously focus on the newer devices first, the ones that they still have to sell. That's not to be understood as an excuse on my part, but I think that older hardware can definitely handle iOS and I don't really believe that Apple intentionally cripples them.

In my own experience with BlackBerry's Cascades UI, I found that there are still plenty of frame-rate issues. One of the most common view models is the navigation pane (a panel that slides in from the right, with the back button at the bottom). BlackBerry's own guidelines recommend creating those dynamically, which means that these have to be loaded into memory first. What happens is this: the first time such a page is opened, the OS drops the frame-rate slightly to load the content into memory, giving the illusion that the content is already fully loaded once the sliding-in animation is finished. For subsequent pages, this is not noticeable anymore, because the page has been loaded into memory. There are lots of tweaks like these that BlackBerry uses to minimise the memory usage. BlackBerry 10 is able to run very smooth, but it can't load everything into memory first. Apple has used very sophisticated models that it perfected over the years.
    12-12-14 06:11 PM
    Some BB10 users will ignore these slow downs, but they are definitely there, especially when deleting multiple things at once. Selecting and deleting a few images or emails at once has always slowed my BB10 phones down to a very noticeable stand still.
    This makes me wonder: is it because of the time it takes to delete locally or is it because of contact time back to whatever server being used that the original message or image is being held on slowing down the device?

I ask this because I *have* seen that in deleting some emails - and when I checked, I had a spike in radio use at that same time - which means it's making a background connection to somewhere... which may, in turn, be causing that momentary pause... and those types of things could happen on iOS or android, too - since it has to do with external factors not in the phone itself.

Just a thought...

Also, someone pointed out to clean wipes versus OTA updating - my last 2 or 3 updates were Blitz updates, NOT full wipe and restore type installation... so - while that may indeed make a difference - it may not?
    Last edited by Paisley Pirate; 12-12-14 at 11:28 PM. Reason: additional thought on other point
    Witmen likes this.
    12-12-14 11:24 PM
    This makes me wonder: is it because of the time it takes to delete locally or is it because of contact time back to whatever server being used that the original message or image is being held on slowing down the device?

I ask this because I *have* seen that in deleting some emails - and when I checked, I had a spike in radio use at that same time - which means it's making a background connection to somewhere... which may, in turn, be causing that momentary pause... and those types of things could happen on iOS or android, too - since it has to do with external factors not in the phone itself.

Just a thought...
    That very well may be the case when it comes to deleting multiple emails at once. To be honest, I hadn't noticed the spike in radio activity when performing that task. Very interesting. It still doesn't explain the lag when deleting locally stored images, but you might be on to something when it comes to deleting emails.
    12-12-14 11:28 PM
    IOS and Android took 5 years after their introduction to run smoothly. BlackBerry 10 is still in its second year. Things take time to develop. Be patient. It will improve. BlackBerry 10 has come a long way in a short time.
    I too had an early BlackBerry. In fact I had a few. My 8330 and 8530 Curves were good. BlackBerry 10 (my Z10's) is better.
    All platforms have taken time to get better as applications develop for them.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.1154
    Said it..!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 07:35 AM
    My major problem is when I make a call/end a call. The damn thing won't do it fast enough. Too slow for my liking.

Posted via CB10
    chalx and Pkimmd like this.
    12-13-14 07:43 AM
    Yeah, I've installed from clean wipes multiple times. Doesn't change the fact that deleting multiple files at once causes noticeable lag on my BB10 devices. If your phone doesn't have that problem, than please upload a video of it deleting several selected photos at once without lagging. I'd really love to see it done because as far as I can tell, they all do it. Or atleast every single last one of them that I've tried it on has. Maybe I've just had bad luck.
    I tried this last night with 4 or 5 pictures. If that is lag, the whole world is in trouble... I'll try to post the video.
    12-13-14 11:45 AM
    Edit: Bad link...
    12-13-14 11:50 AM
    I will show you the evidence through comparison between BlackBerry 10 and Android and iOS. I'm not talking about the running speed for an app like games, that's completely no problem for me, the problems I mentioned is that the UI interactions, how dare you not seeing those problems... for example, when you open settings, change your quick settings, dont' you see those slow actions movement?

When you delete a message, look at the pop up window speed. is that called smooth?

When you try iphone 5 and high end android devices, it's not gonna work as slow as BlackBerry passport does.

PS: I have an iPhone 6 plus, Samsung S5, and a BlackBerry passport, BlackBerry bold 9900, BlackBerry Z10.
    I'm on a Q10 on official 10.2.1 from AT&T. The function you just described is perfectly smooth on mine. This is not a good example from what I've just seen on my Q10, which is a two year old device.
    12-13-14 11:51 AM
    My major problem is when I make a call/end a call. The damn thing won't do it fast enough. Too slow for my liking.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I totally agree. There are several places where the performance needs to be improved. Another is opening text messages. The screen sometimes goes berzerk when opening a text, or just sending a new one. These have been present for a while, since the 10.0 days.
    Blackberrychen likes this.
    12-13-14 11:53 AM
    Android interactions are way smooth? You say you have an S5 - then you should already know how laggy it gets if you don't reboot it every day - same with Note 4 as well as Tab S and they have Exynos Octa core cpu's LOL and before you ask - yes, I do own these devices.
    OK what lag? I've got a Note 4 and there is no lag at all. An occasional stutter when scrolling sure, but lag? None. And I don't reboot my device. Last time I rebooted was yesterday when loading an OS update from AT&T. Before that, I can't even remember. Possibly when I was loading the SD card, is all I can think of.
    12-13-14 11:54 AM
    Challenge accepted.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 01:20 PM
    Butter doesn't always spread smoothly either. It depends on the grain of bread, how refined the flour is, the consistency in the churning of the butter. All these things are better with time and you'll then see the quality in the product improve.

No good taking the butter back to the store because it doesn't spread on grainy bread. You could though opt for a more refined bread but it may not taste as nice as your current brand that you are going to stick with.
    12-13-14 01:57 PM
    Do you actually believe that your Kindle Fire runs Android?

You'll notice that I said "Android devices", not "devices that run a frankensteinish, slapped together POS OS that includes parts of Android and other crap that Android doesn't include". There is a difference you know?

How many Android devices ship with stock android? Many that I've used had the manufacturers shoving crap on top.

Many aspects of my note can get glitchy and studdery also.

The point is that Android is by nature at risk of this unless it's stock and most devices aren't stock.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 03:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    The 15 (!) seconds it took from hitting the phone icon to actually being able to make a call was THE REASON that I finally gave up on my Samsung Galaxy and went looking for a replacement (having wiped and reinstalled 2 times and then even went to a non standard OS for it) . And ended up with a Z10.

The very longest I've ever noticed is a second or so on hanging up - and that is random... So while I agree there is something there that may need to be addressed, at the same time, it's no where near as bad as some other experiences I've had in the past.
    12-13-14 11:25 PM
    My official OS is running super smooth for me.... and I also had the z10 with 10.2.2 leak... it was absolutely amazing and smooth.

I have been with BlackBerry 10 since 10.0 days and have seen massive improvements in reducing stutters and improving user experience... just give them some time to develop and make it better... Android and iOS have had a massive headstart!

BlackBerry 10 is not at the level of iOS as of now... but in a couple of releases it will be at par or even better than that...

Waiting for the official 10.3.1 release for my z30!

Posted via CB10 and my awesome Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    12-14-14 12:11 AM
    Anyone claiming everything's running fluidly should get their 'real world eyes framerate' checked. Maybe you need to get an iPhone 6 and do a side-by-side to help collaborate what fluidity actually looks like (not comparing the newer hardware but actually learning what smooth looks like...).

I can see you defending the progress but at the same if you claim this experience is super smooth you need first world help. I love my blackberry but I'm tired of seeing children doing amazing tasks with blistering speeds on their iPhones while here I am with a business tier (marketed as) phone and can barely do microsoft paint level operations in a timely manner.

I personally believe my problems arise from major cpu throttling, for that coveted "battery life"; I don't cripple my laptop just for battery life unless I absolutely must, but my phone behaves as if a computer that had everything throttled & crippled just to further a claim that needs an asterisk;

**battery life comes from crippling user experience, forcibly diming the disply, undermining the cpu, etc-- to give state of the art battery life...** this philosophy is like a diet where you lose weight by not eating and starving yourself to get the results...

Again, some people may need to collaborate what smooth looks like, if your claiming everything is super smooth, lets start from the beginning. Take your finger and swipe back and forth on your icons on your home page, and if you call what you see, in sync with your finger... then please visit an eye doctor, or consult with an English teacher because you don't know the meaning of smooth in regards to fluidity.

Yes there are many many things to love about the phone and be excited for in the future, but no one wants to use slow \ sluggish technology... That's like one of the key statements of a good engineering team is fast and efficient software. No one likes to use slow anything. The faster it is, the better it is... why bother trying to argue that slow is good when you know it's not?

If you're okay with slow and like to move slowly and not fly through tasks then that's you--but for me every second matters when it comes to productivity. That's why I like hardware keyboards, they're the fastest. Unfortunately performing tasks on my blackberry doesn't tell the same story. And I'm making a big deal of this because I hope they aren't seriously ignoring engineering for speed because they might be as some of you clearly are.

All in all, I'm not saying it's the slowest thing ever; but it's arguably the slowest current gen product out there.
    Last edited by claneyy; 12-14-14 at 06:23 AM.
    Blackberrychen and jmee_mo like this.
    12-14-14 05:58 AM
    Snip
    You're confusing lag and touch latency. Touch latency is the time it takes from when you touch your screen and it reacts. Apple has always had the best because they purchased a company in the 90's that pioneered capacitive touch, called FingerWorks. The Z10 I find has pretty quick touch latency, no iPhone level touch latency, but good nonetheless.

And with 10.3.1, I have also found the fluidity in scrolling and animations very improved. There's still brief sessions of lag, but I assume that'll be fixed once later builds come out.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 06:45 AM
    Played around with an iPhone 6, oh man that's what I call fluid and smooth. Now I understand why it is so expensive....

Amazing really outstanding. Also the icons flip in landscape mode, with blackberry I have always turn my phone...

BlackBerry is no where near, let's hope 10.4 is better because 10.3.1 is very bad

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    12-14-14 04:22 PM
    Played around with an iPhone 6, oh man that's what I call fluid and smooth. Now I understand why it is so expensive....

Amazing really outstanding. Also the icons flip in landscape mode, with blackberry I have always turn my phone...

BlackBerry is no where near, let's hope 10.4 is better because 10.3.1 is very bad

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    I really don't like apple, but what you say is 100%right....

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 04:45 PM
    I hate a call application it is so slow, when I receiving a call the phone will freeze for one or two seconds before call application lunch and when you answer it will ring few more seconds before the call is connected. Same thing happens when I hang up it give me time to go to BBM send a message and than the call app will pop again and desconectado the call. For disconnecting he call it requiere at least 7 seconds and that.
    If I want to share a pictures it's take you to the pic gallery and I have to wait at least 20 seconds to load last pictures taken.
    If you tap on search button to start virtual asistent sometime it require 8 seconds, so many that I several times restarted my phone thinking that it have some problem but it wasn't problem is extremely slow lunch of virtual assistant.

Z30 10.3.1 latest leak.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 04:58 PM
    This OS on the Passport is far from smooth. As a matter of fact, if you have the camera and browser app open at the same time it is pretty embarrassing. Both my Q10 and Z10 were smoother than the Passport and I treat my phones no differently. Hard resetting the passport every other day is the only way I can keep this phone running smooth, else, it is stuttering galore all over the place especially when the camera app is open.

As the OP said, I really thought the 3GB ram would finally make this device smooth as butter, but the said truth is my Q10 is superior to the Passport in terms of smoothness and the Passport is barely faster than my Q10. I initially bought up the topic last year asking why the Q10 is smoother than my Z10 and the general consensus is that the smaller screen requires less processing power. I'm afraid we are facing the same issue now with the Passport despite the high specs.

Here is the video showing how my Passport responds when the camera + browser apps are open with around 1.2 GB free at the time:

Hey, you have a problem with your phone. Mine is absolutely perfect and I never reboot it. I saw your video and I'm very surprised, because it's not normal at all.
    I suggest doing a security wipe or using BlackBerry link to reload your official OS.
    Once again, even my q5 doesn't ever have lag like that. In fact it never legs. Neither does my passport, which is ridiculously fast.

Seriously try a OS reload using BlackBerry link and DON'T restore!!!
    12-14-14 05:15 PM
    Crazy, my Z30 doesn't have any lag like that..

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 05:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-14-14 05:39 PM
187 ... 34567 ...