06-17-15 07:27 AM
187 ... 23456 ...
tools
    If this is what the OP is referring to, then I agree. Improvements can be made here. I have even observed this in the Facebook and Lonkedin app. At first I though it was the apps that were laggy, but it is actually the apps inability to process the photos/images on the page quickly enough as you are scrolling.

I hope the Blackberry engineers can improve this with time.
    That's definitely not the norm. But the Facebook app isn't the best example of a good app. Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 12:01 PM
    Can't agree you more on that.
    The reason I post this is because I have been using BB10 for years from the early Dev alpha to the latest Passport, from 10.2.1-10.3 I can't see any changes in terms of "FLOW" which should be the first priority for them.
    Huh?
    12-12-14 12:14 PM
    I find that hard to understand. I have had a Z10 and a Q10. My wife has a Z30. Occasionally there is a lag or a miss in the way something runs. Rebooting the device always seems to help. No OS or electronics run perfectly 100% of the time. If you are searching for that, good luck.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 12:16 PM
    Wow... I'm confused. Mine works great!
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 12:22 PM
    Lol. Android phones new or old can have all kinds of issues. The added bloatware, custom Android skins, etc can cause issues.

IOS I agree is pretty smooth. But Apple is unique with software and hardware tightly designed to work together.

BlackBerry 10 I find to be pretty smooth.

You'll have to post some specifics preferably with video if you want to show what you mean and perhaps get some help.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Actually it's rather irrelevant that Apple builds both the hardware and software. Google made a choice to allow very broad hardware support by choosing to get developers target a VM instead of compiling against any existing hardware architecture. That allowed for developers to choose among a greater range of CPUs and allow for future architecture transitions, but came at a significant performance penalty. Also Apple does aim to make the software feel performant by making a more concentrated effort on transitions, etc.

To illustrate the point, you could notice they had greater degree of control on hardware when their laptops were built around PowerPC CPUs and custom chipsets, but those were much more sluggish than Windows laptops of the same period. Especially earlier OSX versions had little to no hardware acceleration of certain graphics operations necessary for a GUI and were running a heavier graphics layer compared to Windows so would often feel rather unresponsive. That is, OSX then was to Android today, as Windows was to iOS today. Apple does bring that non-sequitur up because they are the only element of that happy group of vertically integrated phone/computer producer.

Another point of course is that we expect convergent evolution. Apple's CPUs do not target wildly different objectives than Qualcomm, etc., specifically because all of those players are targeting mobile applications and therefore they attempt to design CPUs with quite similar characteristics, especially since they are built on the same instruction sets and same processes. I would expect that iOS would perform just as well were it running on a high end Snapdragon for example.
    12-12-14 12:28 PM
    New user here (a few posts in) chiming in on my own BB10 experience on the STL100-1:

I put 10.3.0.1418 on it a few days ago and it was very snappy and responsive overall, faster than the first flash and use of 10.3.1.1154. After a day or two I had some issues (the music track switching with the volume control buttons wasn't working and I use that a lot) so I reflashed 1154 on it and for whatever reason 1154 suddenly became much faster and smoother than the previous two times I'd attempted to make use of it.

So, I've had 1154 on it a few days now and haven't had any issues. The battery is the original one (dated Aug 8 2012) and I have a brand new one on order from Amazon (should be here today or tomorrow) so I'll see how a brand new battery holds up - the original one seems to be losing roughly 10% per hour in use, sometimes more, sometimes less.

As for the overall performance of the OS, well, there's that limit of just 1GB of RAM on the STL100-1 so that's going to cause issues with performance whether I/we like it or not. The fact that BlackBerry is still providing current updates for even their much older hardware (prototypes too, amazingly) is pretty astonishing to me and now that I'm a BlackBerry user myself I'm pretty impressed by that as well as being impressed that the current version of the OS (it's leaked of course but that doesn't matter) still runs as well as it does on such older hardware (2.5 years old now). Android users are lucky to get an update 18 months in, and a lot of us - myself included as a Motorola Atrix and Photon owner in the past - were basically shafted by manufacturers (Motorola, in my case) when they promised owners of the Atrix and the Photon that we'd get a proper Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update and then literally at the 11th hour (when they had the release finished and ready to go) ended up reneging on their promise and never giving it to us - they claimed it was because of issues with drivers related to the hardware in the Atrix and the Photon and the manufacturer of the components not licensing the drivers for ICS which seems stupid to me but whatever.

Anyway, I do notice lag at times on this Z10 prototype, but I do attribute it to the lack of available RAM more so than anything else. I don't run a lot of apps at the same time, sometimes maybe 3-4 at once but then I close them when I'm done using them, I don't leave apps idling for any length of time. But yes, there's some lag that does happen on occasion - and I'm not even using Android apps presently, I'm doing my best to use only BlackBerry built apps but I think one of two of the ones I have from BB App World that are straight Android ports, sadly, and suffer from issues.

Sometimes when the browser is running it'll just slow to a complete standstill for seconds at a time and I wonder if I'll have to power down/hard reset but it eventually kicks back into action. The microSD card I have in the device is a Sony Class 10 UHS-1 32GB that I got a few months ago and used with several Android devices. Upon using it with the STL100-1 the first time I formatted it on the device to ensure it was working correctly (no leftover Android content, etc) and so far it's been fine. I don't think the issues with lag and slowdown sometimes is directly related to the microSD's card and it's potential but who knows, it could be.

I do realize that even though this is a pre-retail Z10 3G model prototype, I'm pretty confident it's still a rock solid device overall. Would be nice to have it lag free constantly but again, the 1GB of RAM will never allow that to be possible.

After using Android so long, custom ROMs, custom (and very highly tuned) kernels with a ton of potential options I do find that somewhat of a relief that I don't have to tinker with the device or the builds all that much, but in other respects I kind of miss that type of tinkering to some degrees.

I am definitely a fan now of BlackBerry and where they're headed, definitely. When it works, it works great (and it always works, it just chokes and lags sometimes but those reasons have been mentioned). It's a great piece of hardware that I hope to make use of for the forseeable future, definitely.

Just my $.02 and change...
    Ealaionta likes this.
    12-12-14 12:30 PM
    Just scroll trough the app pages on the homescreen ...
    It' s horrible...

But still , i won't move to another platform. Love blackberry to much
    12-12-14 12:36 PM
    This OS on the Passport is far from smooth. As a matter of fact, if you have the camera and browser app open at the same time it is pretty embarrassing. Both my Q10 and Z10 were smoother than the Passport and I treat my phones no differently. Hard resetting the passport every other day is the only way I can keep this phone running smooth, else, it is stuttering galore all over the place especially when the camera app is open.

As the OP said, I really thought the 3GB ram would finally make this device smooth as butter, but the said truth is my Q10 is superior to the Passport in terms of smoothness and the Passport is barely faster than my Q10. I initially bought up the topic last year asking why the Q10 is smoother than my Z10 and the general consensus is that the smaller screen requires less processing power. I'm afraid we are facing the same issue now with the Passport despite the high specs.

Here is the video showing how my Passport responds when the camera + browser apps are open with around 1.2 GB free at the time:

12-12-14 12:41 PM
    [QUOTE=Vector-SS;11156828]This OS on the Passport is far from smooth. As a matter of fact, if you have the camera and browser app open at the same time it is pretty embarrassing. Both my Q10 and Z10 were smoother than the Passport and I treat my phones no differently. Hard resetting the passport every other day is the only way I can keep this phone running smooth, else, it is stuttering galore all over the place especially when the camera app is open.

As the OP said, I really thought the 3GB ram would finally make this device smooth as butter, but the said truth is my Q10 is superior to the Passport in terms of smoothness and the Passport is barely faster than my Q10. I initially bought up the topic last year asking why the Q10 is smoother than my Z10 and the general consensus is that the smaller screen requires less processing power. I'm afraid we are facing the same issue now with the Passport despite the high specs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yup !
    my Q10 ran all the leaked os smooth. Even my dad's z10 runs far more smooth than my z30...
    Sometimes it is as horrible as in your video. Even a iphone 4s runs more smooth (no i don't like apple products).
    I'm waiting on a replacement screen for my z10(which was broken) and i'm thinking about using my z10 more cause it runs smoother.
    To bad i sold my Q10 to buy the z30
    12-12-14 12:52 PM
    Look at this way, when you use the visual keyboard in Z30, compare with iOS and high-end Android devices(Xiaomi4 or S5 using a thirdparty MIUI OS), you will find the lags in BB OS10 especially the fluency of popping up the keyboard..
    First world problems - next please... I think if you're complaining about the split second stutter of the popping up of the keyboard and such then you really need to get some other hobbies in life. Overall, I find that all BB 10 devices are quite fluid for an O/S that isn't even 2 years old yet - Android to me definitely has more lag and IOS is pretty fluid most of the time. I wouldn't know about the so called high end Chinese devices you speak of because I would never consider a Chinese designed phone "high end" since they are usually just patent infringement devices copied from other major brands and I would never buy one.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 01:12 PM
    Say what you want about iOS, but give apple credit for creating a buttery smooth OS. The transitions are second to none. This is not a bad thing. Let's hope this drives BB to be even better one day. We all win when their is intense competition.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-12-14 01:23 PM
    Are your photos saved on device or memory card? I noticed that when I have no memory card in my phone its actually pretty good, but with my memory card inside it slows down. I think my memory card is a knockoff sandisk 128gb and I noticed that even in my computer the read/write speeds are terrible on the card.

Posted via CB10
    I have a genuine Sandisk 128GB card it mine and it absolutely flies even with thousands of hi res photos taken with my Panasonic Lumix camera. After the initial indexing procedure scrolling through the thumbnails are buttery smooth and not like my Samsung devices where if you scroll too fast you actually have to wait for the thumbnails to populate as you scroll through them and yes, this is on the latest so called "high end" devices as the OP refers them as.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 01:34 PM
    I will show you the evidence through comparison between BlackBerry 10 and Android and iOS. I'm not talking about the running speed for an app like games, that's completely no problem for me, the problems I mentioned is that the UI interactions, how dare you not seeing those problems... for example, when you open settings, change your quick settings, dont' you see those slow actions movement?

When you delete a message, look at the pop up window speed. is that called smooth?

When you try iphone 5 and high end android devices, it's not gonna work as slow as BlackBerry passport does.

PS: I have an iPhone 6 plus, Samsung S5, and a BlackBerry passport, BlackBerry bold 9900, BlackBerry Z10.
    Respectfully, OP, I have to disagree with you.

I have a Z10 that I have had for over a year. I came from a "high end" (/sarcasm) Samsung Galaxy that was just over a year old when I changed then...

I guarantee you that the Z10 handles deletions faster than the Galaxy did. I just deleted a single email to see how fast it was (held on email for the sidebar to pop up, hit delete, hit confirm on the delete) total time was less than 1 second once the 1.5 second pause THAT IS BUILT IN TO THE SWIPE IN THE OS so that when you hit it accidentally it doesn't come on EVERY GD time.... sigh - the rest of it is still screaming fast.

You never did answer the question (because you don't want to face what troubleshooting can be - that is - sometimes your expectations are something different, or that you may indeed have an SD card that is inadequate for the job - I run a class 10 card in all my active use phones/cameras/devices precisely because of the potential in ANY device for a lag issue)

Video or it didn't happen...
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 02:19 PM
    There's a difference between smooth and fast. Both android and ios have buttery smooth transitions, but they take a lot of time. Android and IOS for example take relatively long to enter and exit an app. In my experience the BB10 os is way faster in that.

In terms of stability I have to give BlackBerry credits,
    I own a nexus 7 on lollipop and that crashes way more often then my z30, z10 or q10.

I do agree that there are still glitches in the software. But the transitions for the home screen have been made smoother in 10.3, smoother but not better, they are slower then before on 10.2. I had to adjust to it the first couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 02:31 PM
    This OS on the Passport is far from smooth. As a matter of fact, if you have the camera and browser app open at the same time it is pretty embarrassing. Both my Q10 and Z10 were smoother than the Passport and I treat my phones no differently. Hard resetting the passport every other day is the only way I can keep this phone running smooth, else, it is stuttering galore all over the place especially when the camera app is open.

Here is the video showing how my Passport responds when the camera + browser apps are open with around 1.2 GB free at the time:
    From what you are describing - it may be a less optimized code for the passport over the z10/q10... dunno. I do know that my z10 is just as, if not smoother than, what your video shows. I don't know and would be curious what other differences are - I don't clean or optimize mine, but I do suspect it's the OS and the underlying software that is now the choke point.

To be honest, I've had iOS products (iphone 4s) that stuttered MUCH worse than what you are showing - granted that is not comparable up to the minute - but my Z10 doesn't stutter as much as yours does, either (I tried to make it stutter loading 8 apps simultaneously, and swiped back and forth all I could to get it to hiccup) camera lag at about 1 second while the actual camera hardware "warmed up" (and yes, Virginia, it takes a few milliseconds for the juice to flow properly in a camera to get it to come up - instant on is already on - just feeding small amount of power to it all the time)

Again, not trying to pick or be mean or anything, just trying to see if there really is a problem to solve, and if so, what can be done to identify it thoroughly for BBRY to address it properly.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 02:31 PM
    I have always seen the lag and slow downs when I was still using my Z10 and Q10. Kind of surprised to learn that the 3GB of RAM on the passport hasn't sped things up.

Some BB10 users will ignore these slow downs, but they are definitely there, especially when deleting multiple things at once. Selecting and deleting a few images or emails at once has always slowed my BB10 phones down to a very noticeable stand still. The display actually becomes unresponsive immediately after deleting a few images at once. Even after a fresh reboot, deleting files causes lagging and stuttering. I've never used iOS, I'm not a Apple fan, but none of my Android devices have lag like that.

Hopefully they get around to optimizing BB10 eventually.
    Blackberrychen, Vector-SS and RamR like this.
    12-12-14 02:53 PM
    I have always seen the lag and slow downs when I was still using my Z10 and Q10. Kind of surprised to learn that the 3GB of RAM on the passport hasn't sped things up.

Some BB10 users will ignore these slow downs, but they are definitely there, especially when deleting multiple things at once. Selecting and deleting a few images or emails at once has always slowed my BB10 phones down to a very noticeable stand still. The display actually becomes unresponsive immediately after deleting a few images at once. Even after a fresh reboot, deleting files causes lagging and stuttering. I've never used iOS, I'm not a Apple fan, but none of my Android devices have lag like that.

Hopefully they get around to optimizing BB10 eventually.
    It's not about ignoring... these slowdowns often happen when you restore from a previous BB10 or when you do a OTA update... a clean SIC wipe and direct install to 10.3.1 made all the difference.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 02:56 PM
    I've owned my Z10 since july of last year and i agree there have been issues of studder and reboots but for the most part its behaved a lot better than any android device i've owned, new and old. I'm running a old leaked version of 10.3 and its been near flawless for me. OP's issues could stem from the network provider or email server that gives the passport its loading problems.
    12-12-14 03:21 PM
    i think the camera slows your phone down, as you open the app, it starts initializing the actual hardware and while its initializing, it slows the device down.
    12-12-14 03:37 PM
    Just for Android, try a thirdparty OS, like MIUIOS, no any lags at all.
    That's why I said can have issues. Issues that can be corrected. But in a manner most folks won't do. For the most part "Android" means whatever cam installed on the phone when someone bought it from the carrier store.

12-12-14 03:50 PM
    That's why I said can have issues. Issues that can be corrected. But in a manner most folks won't do. For the most part "Android" means whatever cam installed on the phone when someone bought it from the carrier store.

for what its worth, you cant expect the everyday joe to flash a custom rom. im a software engineer yet i refuse to put custom roms on android phones. either charge half the price or put usable **** on the phone. from my own experience only samsung has the apps i need out of the box (if it comes to android), but im not leaving bb ever again :P
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 03:54 PM
    Like who releases an Operating System that can't deal with large amounts of photos?
    Hmmm .... amazon. Renders the whole library every time you launch the photo/video app on the Kindle Fire? haha.

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with that on BlackBerry 10. Do think a few other things could be do to be sped up though - Calendar switching being the biggest.

As a whole though, I find it pretty smooth. And yes, I have iOS, Android, Kindle Fire OS (sorta Android), Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 devices at my disposal.
    12-12-14 04:25 PM
    but none of my Android devices have lag like that.
    Geez - run the Kindle Fire HDX and flip between the Silk Browser and the video app. i can made the whole damn thing lock up for five seconds at a time and have it persist after a reboot. Despite being a quad core device.
    12-12-14 04:27 PM
    Say what you want about iOS, but give apple credit for creating a buttery smooth OS.
    Yep - on the more recent hardware. My iPod Touch became the most miserable thing for lag after my Kindle following an update. My coworker bitches about her iPad following iOS 8 and my old GF complains about her iPhone 4S under iOS 8 as well.

Apple does a killer job for an out of the box smooth experience. But my experience is that does not stick after some updates. I suspect it's deliberate to encourage hardware updates.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-12-14 04:29 PM
    Geez - run the Kindle Fire HDX and flip between the Silk Browser and the video app. i can made the whole damn thing lock up for five seconds at a time and have it persist after a reboot. Despite being a quad core device.
    Do you actually believe that your Kindle Fire runs Android?

You'll notice that I said "Android devices", not "devices that run a frankensteinish, slapped together POS OS that includes parts of Android and other crap that Android doesn't include". There is a difference you know?
    geodorn likes this.
    12-12-14 04:55 PM
187 ... 23456 ...