06-17-15 07:27 AM
187 12345 ...
tools
    If I were you, I would check the activity monitor in settings and see what headless apps and android apps are running during times when you are experiencing slowdown. The decision to include the Android emulator in the OS is highly debatable from a performance perspective and headless apps have the potential to weigh things down a bit, as well.

Further, I think you'll find that 10.3.1 official is much more performant than 10.3.0. BlackBerry 10 development seems to involve releasing a kind of working prototype first. On the Playbook, much of the experience was created in Flash/Air and/or Python scripting with plans to eventually make things native -- and, of course, that never happened. BlackBerry 10 launched with a settings screen that was not native -- imagine telling developers they need to use Cascades, when the actual OS settings screen didn't use Cascades, initially. What happened with the 10.2 cycle is that 10.2.1 hardened or made more performant a lot of aspects of the OS. That may end up being true with 10.3 and 10.3.1. The latest leak of 10.3.1 is much snappier for me in a lot of areas.

Finally, let me note that 10.3.0 runs slowly for me in three scenarios: (a) when it is caching a bunch of assets like emails and such and (b) when I come close to filling the internal storage or when I'm using a slow SDCARD with lots of files, and (c) when Android apps or headless apps have junked things up. Other than that, I don't have performance issues using native applications. Oh, wait, using instant actions and search with 10.3.0 became unbearably slow (seemingly by design) and has only been fixed partially in the latest version of 10.3.1.

But, do I think the native animations and such could be optimized further? Probably. I think BlackBerry needs to figure out whether they want to continue with development of BlackBerry 10 given its marketshare and the fact that its ecosystem seems to have been stillborn. As more and more users fill up their devices with Android apps and spend more time on them, they may begin to conclude that they'd be better off with a dedicated Android device that runs those apps without the BB10 dongleware. Some will probably argue that BlackBerry should abandon BB10, fork Android, and offer a version with premium security and access to apps like the Hub, Express, BB10 Browser, File System, and Blend on that device. That would mean 100% compatibility with the Android ecosystem and just about all the benefits of BB10 that people enjoy. Does this mean I hate the guys at QNX? No, I'd love to see BlackBerry stick it out and make BB10 a success, but that means providing unique value that isn't available on iOS/Android and doing it with better performance. We'll see if that happens. I think Blend shows a willingness to compete, but I'd like to see a lot more...
    Norg likes this.
    12-12-14 09:14 AM
    Well, I have no idea what the OP is talking about. I came from Iphone and thought BB10 is the best software I have ever used. Too easy to move around. I am hooked with the HUB.
    bbjdog, warreng and cdnynot like this.
    12-12-14 09:21 AM
    I wonder why the OP can't use a video to show his complaints.
    That would have this whole dilemma solved once and for all
    I personally cannot see where he is getting all these problems because I can't recreate them, but each to their own
    Fret Madden and warreng like this.
    12-12-14 09:26 AM
    Not saying OS is flawless and doesnt require more work but I think the issue of lagging you are experiencing is far beyond what is normally experienced. My question to you is have you transferred your data from device to device when setting up the passport? Perhaps might be better to wipe and start fresh on passport and setup manually rather then transfer from elsewhere.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 09:27 AM
    You can start by not loading leaks... before complaining about smoothness...

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog and Carl Estes like this.
    12-12-14 09:29 AM
    And about picture loading and saving. Are you using a slow sd card??

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog, Carl Estes and cdnynot like this.
    12-12-14 09:30 AM
    3900 pics and here I am with my 175 lmao

Posted with my z10 stl100-2 running 10.2.1.3442
    12-12-14 09:39 AM
    I have a Galaxy Tab 4 and the simple act of accessing the SD card takes a good 5 count when I go to open or edit them further lag is evident. When looking at the thumbnails when you scroll the pictures take a god 3 count to populate even the thumbnails. And dont even talk about the clunky keyboard on that.

I would have to agree though that iOS gear is smoother than BlackBerry, in the sense it runs smoothly, there are many features of it though I find utterly confusing, for example I can't send a song via any fashion from my phone to my GF's iPhone she can only play it from bbm or the text mms window it will NOT save onto her phone in the media section.

End of the day they all have issues and drawbacks but I have found overall the BlackBerry 10 OS the best of the lot (haven't tried windows though)

Posted from my Zed30 running 10.3.1.1151
    12-12-14 09:39 AM
    "Cannot running smoothly ".

Cannot run smoothly maybe?

BlackBerry hates America!
    eduzojordan and warreng like this.
    12-12-14 09:43 AM
    I wouldn't have said that in this forum

I do agree though, I'm not very happy as I was on BBOS. BB10 was just over hyped with the QNX, I was just expecting a lot more.

10.3.1 I have a feeling will bring a lot of problems when official. Especially Blend on legacy bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 09:47 AM
    Not too sure what could be your problem. At my end, I have over 1500 photos on my SD card and I have been scrolling along, up and down and left and right on my BB10 phones (Z10, Z30 and now Passport) with no problem at all.
    poisonfree likes this.
    12-12-14 09:50 AM
    By reading your thread, it sounds like an advertisement for IOS and Android system.
    All through you thread its try ios and you will see, try ios, try ios.........
    Have a good day!
    12-12-14 09:58 AM
    I can definitely testify that scrolling through large amounts of photos has been problematic & even impossible on every release of bb10 I've used. (Official 10.2-10.3 latests) and this is something that should be essential to any engineering team.

Like who releases an Operating System that can't deal with large amounts of photos? Makes you feel as if you aren't allowed to store too many images on your phone despite having the large storage space to do so.

This is something that's completely behind Android and iOS and it is extremely essential as well as demonstrative of how undeveloped, un-optimized, or unequipped the OS is.

*in before "you have poor SD cards, faulty configs", & "it's somehow all your own fault" comments*
    Are your photos saved on device or memory card? I noticed that when I have no memory card in my phone its actually pretty good, but with my memory card inside it slows down. I think my memory card is a knockoff sandisk 128gb and I noticed that even in my computer the read/write speeds are terrible on the card.

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 10:00 AM
    So DO You have a SD card with low transfer data rate ? :P

Posted via CB10
    No kidding. Funny how people don't start with the obvious first.
    warreng likes this.
    12-12-14 10:08 AM
    While I am sure most of the users here genuinely feel they have speed issues I have to say that I dont see them I currently have a fair few photos on my device with no issues, I dont see a problem with lag except for the odd Android app but as these arent specifically designed for this OS i expect that.

In fact I have had more bugs and issues with other manufacturers devices recently than BlackBerry my iPad mini retina keeps rebooting a couple of times a day, the more i put on my Android tablet the slower it gets and it also charges really slowly, ive actually cracked back out the Playbook its that bad. I also had a Kindle HDX recently and again no end of issues dodgy screen, resets etc.

Everyone experiences devices differently depending on OS, apps, type of usage, environment etc just because some people experience them doesnt necessarily mean the OS is at fault!
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 10:28 AM
    Trying to save a photo from BBM....
    Attachment 320239
    Trying to upload that screenshot I just took to this post...
    Attachment 320238
    and it stayed like this for at least ten seconds. Sometimes it may show just the most recent photo for like ten seconds before it finally loads the rest; I know you think it's just ten seconds but in reality every time it happens if you often have to access libraries, you're thinking, ugh, here we go again with the delay. You can't tell me you guys aren't seeing this lack of fluency in every release.

The lights are on but no one's home.
    Dude my passport loads my 1000+ photos instantly and is extremely smooth with not a single stutter. If you're running a leak expect beta performance.
    I'm on official OS right now btw.
    And all my files are stored in my 32gb SD class 10
    I suggest you wipe and DON'T restore
    bbjdog, eduzojordan and meltbox360 like this.
    12-12-14 10:55 AM
    I really don't understand what are you talking about , I have been using LG g2 next to my blackberry z10 for 6 months or so, and to be honest LG g2 is way slower and android is so boring, I tried to import gesture control to android, and it is possible but there is no way that it would be as smooth and fun as blackberry 10. I'm just little bit disappointed that I throw 350 bucks to the thrash when I bought LG g2...everybody said that nowadays android is smooth as hell and it's really functional but it's not even close to BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog, eduzojordan and warreng like this.
    12-12-14 10:56 AM
    Sat here with my z10 thinking your eyes have a low frame rate, can be slow on some things but it's incredibility smooth.
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 12-13-14 at 09:34 AM.
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 11:25 AM
    Not sure what you mean by "a large amount of photo's", but I have 975 on my Z30 and just went to check on them to see if I could understand what you're talking about. I have no problems at all viewing them, scrolling through them or sharing them. What do you mean, but "impossible to scroll through them?
    warreng and bbjdog like this.
    12-12-14 11:27 AM
    I don't, I'm talking built in internal storage and all; it's just an all around scenario of the more storage you use, the more you will be punished by slow file manager speeds, pathetic scrolling, glitches etc.

And I'm not even talking about extreme usage. I'm talking typical active college student amounts of photos; absolutely regular usage just deteriorates the complete performance of all file managing, browsing operations over time unless you remove files.

It's the reason your phones feel good coming off fresh installs, but over time it's slowing down significantly; because it's not optimized to take care of & sort through large amounts of files efficiently enough.

This is a general finding I've noticed (well its hard to miss) from long term usage, good luck getting to photo #1,200 without serious difficulty.

Ps
    I have 3,900 photos on this current release, and that's after removing anything older than 3 months over and over, otherwise I'd have like 12,000 photos; and this number is nothing compared to people in the 16-24 age range these days; and if you don't believe we save photos at these high rates I dare you to look up any forum or questionnaire asking people how many photos they have in their ios camera rolls.

Also I'm not eveeeeeen talking about large heavy resolution images like I'd take with my camera, I'm talking mostly 86kb twitter pictures and what not, can't even scroll through the previous month without heavy unusable fatigue & glitching

I would upload photo number 1,200 of 6k, but the way my blackberry is set up, I might as well just forget about it cause it's totally lost in my mere 500 mb of photos. Well I could spend my night looking for it I guess, but who has that kind of time to dig out a funny picture in the middle of texting a hot girl? #PunishedForStoring

Attachment 320231
    Edit: found it cause I have nothing better to do atm, but still, was NOT a smooth walk in a park.
    I have about 4,000 photos and find scrolling and viewing to be very fluid. I do have a decent class 10 MicroSD card installed. A slow card will necessarily slow things down substantially. Remember when comparing to iOS that the iPhone has no SD card available so all of the data comes from fast onboard flash.

Copy your photos to the phone's internal storage and try again. If it's faster, it means that your SD card is simply too slow to keep p with what's being asked of it.

Posted via CB10
    warreng and bbjdog like this.
    12-12-14 11:28 AM
    I have four KINGS but you sir are all about jokers
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 11:29 AM
    Once launched, BB10 works pretty well for me. I will say there are issues at time with launching some Andoird Apps. But it's the whole boot process and then waiting for files to be inventoried that really is a pain every now and then. It really is said when a full Windows tablet can be started in 25% of the time it take BB10.

But I still would have like to have seen a version of BB10 without the need for an Android Runtime.
    12-12-14 11:33 AM
    Once launched, BB10 works pretty well for me. I will say there are issues at time with launching some Andoird Apps. But it's the whole boot process and then waiting for files to be inventoried that really is a pain every now and then. It really is said when a full Windows tablet can be started in 25% of the time it take BB10.

But I still would have like to have seen a version of BB10 without the need for an Android Runtime.
    10.3.1 boot time is acceptable. Much faster

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 11:49 AM
    Not too sure what could be your problem. At my end, I have over 1500 photos on my SD card and I have been scrolling along, up and down and left and right on my BB10 phones (Z10, Z30 and now Passport) with no problem at all.
    If he's using a cheap sd card it can be extremely slow.

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog likes this.
    12-12-14 11:50 AM
    I can definitely testify that scrolling through large amounts of photos has been problematic & even impossible on every release of bb10 I've used. (Official 10.2-10.3 latests) and this is something that should be essential to any engineering team.

Like who releases an Operating System that can't deal with large amounts of photos? Makes you feel as if you aren't allowed to store too many images on your phone despite having the large storage space to do so.

This is something that's completely behind Android and iOS and it is extremely essential as well as demonstrative of how undeveloped, un-optimized, or unequipped the OS is.

*in before "you have poor SD cards, faulty configs", & "it's somehow all your own fault" comments*
    If this is what the OP is referring to, then I agree. Improvements can be made here. I have even observed this in the Facebook and Lonkedin app. At first I though it was the apps that were laggy, but it is actually the apps inability to process the photos/images on the page quickly enough as you are scrolling.

I hope the Blackberry engineers can improve this with time.
    12-12-14 11:55 AM
187 12345 ...