06-21-13 09:52 AM
34 12
tools
    Who has succumbed to pressure? Is FCC the cause? Carriers?... Just curious, particularly since some links for leaks on various hosting services have had to be taken down.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 07:06 PM
    Who has succumbed to pressure? Is FCC the cause? Carriers?... Just curious, particularly since some links for leaks on various hosting services have had to be taken down.

Posted via CB10
    Leaks come and go. As for them being taken down from hosting sites, it's BlackBerry that does that and they're legally obligated to do so. Even if they didn't care if they existed, they'd still have to request their removal as part of legal process.
    06-19-13 07:09 PM
    Leaks come and go. As for them being taken down from hosting sites, it's BlackBerry that does that and they're legally obligated to do so. Even if they didn't care if they existed, they'd still have to request their removal as part of legal process.
    Thanks Bla1ze - I found the dearth of new leaks combined with CB Kevin's post about fragmentation in OS's as strange.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 07:31 PM
    Why are they obligated to?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 07:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Good question ::waits::

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 08:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    That was kind of my point. If they own the content, they can disseminate it however they choose. If it was pirated, they would not be obligated, legally, to take it down, but may choose to exercise their right to do so. I think leaks are invaluable for BBRY as they get real field testing. Not a conspiracy guy normally, but with everything else going on in the States, where I live, I hope it is nothing more sinister.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 08:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is just a guess, but if a leak were to reveal something in beta and wasn't well received(this is just an example) and the stock went down because if it. Shareholders could hold blackberry responsible for turning a blind eye instead of being more aggressive when it comes to leaks.

Also, ti the layman, the word "leak" could automatically mean bad security, etc. Not something BlackBerry would liked to be known for...

*shrug* just a guess.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    Last edited by Young Z; 06-29-13 at 12:09 PM.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    06-19-13 08:31 PM
    If it's analogous to copyright, the owner is required to exercise due diligence in enforcing it. Failure to do so is a kind of default. But I don't know if the leaks are really analogous to copyright.

Personally, I think BlackBerry intentionally keeps us on a fairly long leash with respect to leaks, and I'm grateful for that.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg, Justam, marcati and 2 others like this.
    06-19-13 08:31 PM
    Double post
    06-19-13 08:33 PM
    BBRY is obligated to ask for leak removal because:

1. It is their proprietary software and thus should not be disseminated by a third party not under a license from BBRY to do so.
    2. If they ignore leaks now, it may become difficult for them to pursue removal of
    pirated or stolen software in the future - this is due to the peculiarities of patent law.

In short, timely pursuit of leak removal indicates that BBRY is diligently protecting its intellectual property
    Last edited by docfreed; 06-19-13 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    06-19-13 08:34 PM
    Software is, and can be copyrighted on a daily basis by many companies - we should have no reason to think BBRY is any different. That's why we must agree to their license terms when using the software.
    If it's analogous to copyright, the owner is required to exercise due diligence in enforcing it. Failure to do so is a kind of default. But I don't know if the leaks are really analogous to copyright.

Personally, I think BlackBerry intentionally keeps us on a fairly long leash with respect to leaks, and I'm grateful for that.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    06-19-13 08:38 PM
    Thank you for all the legal opinions, but having a legal background myself I can accept some of the arguments and disagree on some points. It is not an infringement on copyright if the proprietary owner of the intellectual prooerty is in agreement or complicit in its release. The owner of the IT can object if it is being stolen or otherwise used for unintended purpose, but that is at their discretion. If Apple was reverse engineering the code for their own purpose that would be a clear infringement.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 08:55 PM
    They've stopped because the two newer 10.2 versions we have are buggier than anything ever seen, like touch screen stops responding bad

Posted via my awesome community driven Q10
    06-19-13 09:39 PM
    They've stopped because the two newer 10.2 versions we have are buggier than anything ever seen, like touch screen stops responding bad

You tell use that now...lmao haven't seen that in any of the posts. does it take a month to start acting up?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 09:57 PM
    345 and 402 both are ******** but that's how we extracted the dark theme settings for the Q

06-19-13 10:08 PM
    345 and 402 both are ******** but that's how we extracted the dark theme settings for the Q

Ok cool I'm on. 228 Z10

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 10:10 PM
    You tell use that now...lmao haven't seen that in any of the posts. does it take a month to start acting up?

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure Kris is talking about the ones he and Lbfe are currently testing themselves, not the ones that have been posted here.
    There haven't been any posts written about them because they haven't been released, since they are super buggy.
    Last edited by FuriousK; 06-19-13 at 10:13 PM. Reason: lol - too slow
    06-19-13 10:12 PM
    Someone has to leak it without the permission from blackberry. BlackBerry can upload a an official beta version to users, why leak it unofficially?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 10:15 PM

Kris, off topic but have you heard of whatsapp not working with the hub, even after deleting it, performing a reboot and reinstalling it with 10.2?
    06-19-13 10:32 PM
    Kris, off topic but have you heard of whatsapp not working with the hub, even after deleting it, performing a reboot and reinstalling it with 10.2?
    Yup its been noted

06-19-13 10:35 PM

What about something from the 10.1.0.4xxx branch? Kris, it's been almost 2 weeks. I need a hit of autoloader goodness.

06-19-13 10:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because they (potentially) contain proprietary company information that has not been disclosed to the general public and offer (often times) a clear look at what is upcoming in future iterations of their operating system. Which in turn could cause loss of profits, allow competitive gains by other companies in the same markets, affect share pricing and more. By all legal stand points, their legal teams are obligated to remove such leaks when ever possible.

And yes, LP_Rigg is right they could opt to not enforce it but that would require too much effort as they would need to hold meetings, all execs would need to agree with and then they'd also have to present the option to shareholders as well for voting, it's just easier to take the stance of saying "we'll remove them when and where it's possible" because that honestly, makes the most sense.

No one with half a brain would say yes to letting others in on company secrets that could potentially affect the amount of money they take home. Would any of you share secret company info if it meant you could pay fewer bills? Have less food on the table? Not be able to afford health insurance? At the end of the day, depending on how you look at, we all should be happy that BlackBerry is as lax as what they are when it comes to leaks.

But I digress as this has turned into a "Let's hit Kris up for some epically buggy OS leak" thread lol.

PS: Leaks are, for the most part with the exception of a few recent ones, typically 2-3 weeks behind. While you're installing what you think is the latest and greatest, BlackBerry has already trashed that OS and is many revisions ahead. But heyyyy... whatever floats your boat.
    06-19-13 11:06 PM
    Some of the leaks contain bugs which can lead to exploits to do things that Blackberry did not intend. I believe that could be a major reason why Blackberry want to prevent at least some of those leaks. They aren't vetted like the official releases are.
    I've already found some nice stuff in the 10.2 alpha. Too bad about the bugs.
    LP_Rigg and harshadpatel like this.
    06-20-13 07:24 AM
    Thanks for everyones input - There are some really bright people on this board and contribute so much to our collective BlackBerry experience.

I will patiently wait for things to settle in a little bit - My current 2354 via xsacha's fine program is serving me quite well at the moment on my Z.
    06-20-13 08:07 AM
    Thanks for everyones input - There are some really bright people on this board and contribute so much to our collective BlackBerry experience.

I will patiently wait for things to settle in a little bit - My current 2354 via xsacha's fine program is serving me quite well at the moment on my Z.
    Agreed on both points.
    06-20-13 09:21 AM
34 12