09-04-14 02:43 PM
41 12
tools
    And a well deserved one. It basically created a "cool kids" table in the CrackBerry cafeteria. Whatever criteria they relied upon to select testers was (obviously) flawed. Finally, it's a little naive of them to think an NDA can stop anything in this day and age... especially considering not even their own employees, faced with the risk of losing their livelihood, have been deterred by such.

They should just place the beta OS on a server, allow whoever has the know-how to load it on their device at their own risk, let people sign up for a structure feedback OS beta program, and then randomly sample rotating subsets of those volunteers with structured testing tasks. This way fanatical upgraders think BlackBerry is awesome, BlackBerry can still obtain feedback, and most importantly,.. the negative perception of "leaks" is eliminated.

Posted via CB10
    Stop being reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    SteelGreek and scaffme like this.
    08-30-14 10:10 AM
    And a well deserved one. It basically created a "cool kids" table in the CrackBerry cafeteria. Whatever criteria they relied upon to select testers was (obviously) flawed. Finally, it's a little naive of them to think an NDA can stop anything in this day and age... especially considering not even their own employees, faced with the risk of losing their livelihood, have been deterred by such.

They should just place the beta OS on a server, allow whoever has the know-how to load it on their device at their own risk, let people sign up for a structure feedback OS beta program, and then randomly sample rotating subsets of those volunteers with structured testing tasks. This way fanatical upgraders think BlackBerry is awesome, BlackBerry can still obtain feedback, and most importantly,.. the negative perception of "leaks" is eliminated.

Posted via CB10
    Very well said, I hope BlackBerry read this and take your idea

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-30-14 10:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but with a minor addition that they make it very clear that you're loading a pre-release and possibly broken OS, for legal purposes.
    08-30-14 10:35 AM
    That's probably not the reason. After all, other threads based on that same OS are still left viewable.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Complaints only apply to the 'originating' source. As long as the originating source is removed, anything else that pops up is secondary and another complaint has to be filed. That's why sometimes you can see leaked photos on one site but the originating site is requested to remove them. I'm sure you're all smart folks and can figure it out.
    08-30-14 10:37 AM
    Complaints only apply to the 'originating' source. As long as the originating source is removed, anything else that pops up is secondary and another complaint has to be filed. That's why sometimes you can see leaked photos on one site but the originating site is requested to remove them. I'm sure you're all smart folks and can figure it out.
    So you're confirming that BlackBerry filed a complaint about the original leak thread?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:39 AM
    So you're confirming that BlackBerry filed a complaint about the original leak thread?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    FuriousK likes this.
    08-30-14 10:44 AM
    So when you were part of the leak team, the OS's you leaked back then were all public betas? Stop being a hypocrite.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    1) I'm not being a hypocrite (besides I've been called worse). We leaked OS's yes.
    2) we did not take a closed beta OS that was distributed via OTA to a select few and give to the masses.
    3) I knew the risks of leaking such OS's and didn't complain about if a thread got closed.
    4) we were never tied to an NDA

Check out PillPad http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/19042021 Now Built For BlackBerry Certified, BB10 App developer, Cystic Fibrosis Advocate.
    08-30-14 10:48 AM
    1) ...and didn't complain about if a thread got closed.
    I don't think the purpose of this thread was to complain, but merely to request information. The OS is still easily available.
    08-30-14 10:53 AM
    Here's reality as an online forum operator since the 1980s.

It has always been true (since the original seminal case Cubby .v. CompuServe) that if as system operator you are notified of infringement and refuse to act on it you are in trouble. The DMCA turned what was a case-law based protection for forum and system operators into a statutory provision, which is (for obvious reasons) much, much better.

Giving the finger to a complaining party (instead of following the DMCA procedure to the letter) is identical to taking ownership of the complained-about message(s). At that point you are fully exposed as the system administrator to any legal process that may come from the act, and yet you received nothing of value for it.

In other words, it's all risk and no reward.

That was the entire point of the DMCA -- to put forward an objectively-testable standard of conduct for forum and other related operators whereby they had solid statutory protection against lawsuits as a consequence of the acts of users on their system, BUT to obtain that protection you had to behave in certain ways and conform to certain standards (including registering an agent with the Copyright Office as an "official place" where complaints can be lodged.)

Best guess is that Crackberry got a DMCA complaint and did exactly what the law demands, which is all they are logically able to do. Expecting them to fight someone else's battle, if there is even a battle to be fought, is foolish.
    08-30-14 11:07 AM
    A Google search for "10.3.0.1130 download" lead me to find the non destructive files to be side loaded using Sachesi. Great instructions too!

Posted via CB10
    Lawrie Sherratt and lcgoldman like this.
    08-30-14 11:48 AM
    It still smells funny to me. Bla1ze alludes to a complaint but only talks in general terms. If there was a complaint from Blackberry that caused the thread to be removed then he would tell us.

The thread was removed because it was convenient.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 02:01 AM
    It still smells funny to me. Bla1ze alludes to a complaint but only talks in general terms. If there was a complaint from Blackberry that caused the thread to be removed then he would tell us.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure why it would be convenient nor for whom it would be convenient. Not everything can or is openly stated as to why things need to be done.
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-31-14 04:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Quit smelling it, if it smells bad. The EIC told you the reason already, he doesn't have to justify anything.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by habs_fan; 09-03-14 at 07:26 PM.
    09-03-14 07:12 PM
    Life is too short for this thread to be read. More OSes will come, leaked or not. We've seen it already. Get over it.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10 Model STL100-3 AT&T branded running OS 10.3.0.1130 with 10.3.0.1154 bars. Squircle of Trust Member and Co-founder.
    Pdinos3, anon721037 and DLewis13 like this.
    09-03-14 07:19 PM
    Surprised this thread is still open. Seems to be getting argumentative.
    Carry on.
    qmendiv likes this.
    09-04-14 10:55 AM
    Good to know all this information...I for one appreciate each and every post here. Love learning new stuff...Kudos and thanks, Gearheadaddy

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1130/1154 bars
    09-04-14 02:43 PM
41 12