View Poll Results: What is the best way to go from leak to 'official' OS?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep leak and only load updated and additional carrier files.

2 15.38%
  • Re-load to get the entire OS freshly installed.

9 69.23%
  • Re-load the OS, and then restore personal data from backup.

2 15.38%
    So, consider this situation: most of us are now running the leaked .1925 OS, and possibly manually added the .1926 radio (software release 10.2.1.537). As it now seems, this will also be the 'official' first version of 10.2.1 to roll out.

What would be the best course of action to ensure best performance when the 'official' 10.2.1 becomes available?

a) Keep the leaked OS, and only use the 'Software Update' to get newer files and carrier specific files.
    (sounds easiest, but possibly most problematic.)
    b) Re-load the entire OS, so you get the full version installed in one go.
    (most time consuming, but probably safest for performance. Lots of manual set-up to do afterwards.)
    c) Option b) but also backup and restore.
    (time-consuming, possible restore issues.)

The reason I ask it here is because there are a lot of people with some inside information/expertise with this kind of situation. 10.2.1 seems to bring a lot of new features, so I can only imagine keeping the leak instead of the full release may cause issues. But I guess the same question will also apply to earlier releases, or possible future leaks.
    Please leave your feedback, so we can find out if there really is a preferred option!
    _____
    PS: there is a poll included, not sure if they show up on the mobile apps.
    01-08-14 12:38 PM
    Based on my 10.2.1 experiences - it should be safe enough to just upgrade.

But as a precaution, if you want to maximize your experience and minimize the risk of errors a fresh wipe to an official OS and then upgrade is the 'tested' and confirmed to be working properly method by blackberry.

My understanding of the components is it is low risk to upgrade normally. But I ha e had issues in the past where it would not update without a reload.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-08-14 12:42 PM
    So, consider this situation: most of us are now running the leaked .1925 OS, and possibly manually added the .1926 radio (software release 10.2.1.537). As it now seems, this will also be the 'official' first version of 10.2.1 to roll out.

What would be the best course of action to ensure best performance when the 'official' 10.2.1 becomes available?

a) Keep the leaked OS, and only use the 'Software Update' to get newer files and carrier specific files.
    (sounds easiest, but possibly most problematic.)
    b) Re-load the entire OS, so you get the full version installed in one go.
    (most time consuming, but probably safest for performance. Lots of manual set-up to do afterwards.)
    c) Option b) but also backup and restore.
    (time-consuming, possible restore issues.)

The reason I ask it here is because there are a lot of people with some inside information/expertise with this kind of situation. 10.2.1 seems to bring a lot of new features, so I can only imagine keeping the leak instead of the full release may cause issues. But I guess the same question will also apply to earlier releases, or possible future leaks.
    Please leave your feedback, so we can find out if there really is a preferred option!
    Personally I would like to run the official OS...I am on the leaked version now, but I know how you feel about that. I love the leak and it is working GREAT and the OS is the same as what the official OS will be, but there is something comforting knowing that it is the official OTA OS rather than a leak...that being said, I have asked this before and most people say that the carriers are pushing out the exact same OS as the leak since the software numbers are the same...so really there is no different...just personal preference I supposed...others may have more to add, but for me I will install the official OS when it comes
    01-08-14 12:44 PM
    If the leak works well for you without any problems I'm sure just getting the updates should b fine. Judging from the ease of restore between 1055 and 1925 it shouldn't be a big deal to install the official and restore either., but my money is going to just updating and leaving it be. That is only if the leak has been flawless for you as it has for me. If it hasn't then a fresh install is probably best.
    01-08-14 12:46 PM
    Does anyone know how I may be able to grab the official OS when it releases, as I'm sure Verizon will be a year or so later bringing it to their customers.

Z10, .1925 OS, .1926 radio, flawless so far.
    01-08-14 12:49 PM
    While .1925 has been wonderful for me, there are still a few issues I hope are ironed out in the 'official' version, even if they have the same version number. Of course if the entire list of files is exactly the same version I guess it would do little harm to just update.
    Another reason I ask it this time around though, is because most of us have this OS loaded in fragments (first OS, then radio, then another radio). I am not sure if that type of fragmented installing can cause issues, maybe on a registry-level, or does BB10 not work like that?

My OCD always makes me prefer the 'proper method' as mentioned by KermEd (option b), but if there are really no downsides to option a it would be so much easier. :/
    _____

I think Sachesi is used for getting OS versions manually, and installing them as well.
    Does anyone know how I may be able to grab the official OS when it releases...
    01-08-14 12:55 PM
    When the time comes, simply diff the official vs. leak versions and decide from there. Based on past history, option A is most likely going to be the most appropriate route for most.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1925 | STA100-3 10.2.1.1925
    01-08-14 12:57 PM
    Thanks mrglenn, I'll have to look into sachesi. I don't have any experience with it as I've just used autoloaders but I'm sure I can find a thread on it.

01-08-14 01:02 PM
    I would simply upgrade. It's non destructive, anything "missing" or "old" gets updated, and you're running within a few minutes.
    The leak you're running was already released to a Carrier, somewhere. They are going to push this same stuff out to their customers. You just happened to be lucky/brave enough to jump the queue.

It's all about Productivity and your time: Save the labour intensive stuff for the next leak after the "official" stuff settles in
    01-08-14 01:06 PM
    Odds are that those of us who run leaks will already be several OS's ahead then whatever is released by the carriers. That seems to be the way it has worked in the past.

Perosnally I will never run my carrier's release because of the bloatware.
    Mozdony likes this.
    01-08-14 01:17 PM
    Odds are that those of us who run leaks will already be several OS's ahead then whatever is released by the carriers. That seems to be the way it has worked in the past.

Perosnally I will never run my carrier's release because of the bloatware.
    Maybe a dumb question, but what is bloatware?

01-08-14 01:22 PM
    Bloatware is what you call things that are automatically installed by your carrier, but not needed for the OS to run. Think of apps like Bing, Deezer, carrier wallpapers/sounds. And about Sachesi, there is a sticky topic on this forum about it, you can click on the word in my previous post to take you there.
    Maybe a dumb question, but what is bloatware?
    Funny, most replies say option a is preferred, but the first votes are going towards option b.
    01-08-14 01:44 PM
    Just update your OS If it doesn't work well than you can do a wipe afterwards.

But I guess it want take too long until the next leak release which is probably a newer build than the offical and then you will update and start fresh
    01-08-14 03:23 PM