12-04-14 10:59 AM
180 12345 ...
tools
    For as long as I've been a member around here a thread such as this always pops up once in a while. Always has the same "answer" and always has the same outcome, nothing. Because it would take a full time paid mod to be able to do such things, and that just isn't going to happen. Were a member policed forum which welcomes n00bs with open arms, and as such you get repeat posts of the same BS in every thread(will it work on stl1, hows the battery life, whats an autoloader, etc, etc). either scroll past it or move onto another thread, or better yet, wh not start our own finding and fixes threads and maintain them yourself? I think you'll find its not as easy as you propose.

Look, I read every godamn post in a leaked/beta OS thread, or finding and fixes thread before I decide to load a leaked OS. If you can't be bothered to read or cant scroll past the BS posts then perhaps you shouldn't be in those threads to begin with?
    11-11-14 05:37 AM
    For as long as I've been a member around here a thread such as this always pops up once in a while. Always has the same "answer" and always has the same outcome, nothing. Because it would take a full time paid mod to be able to do such things, and that just isn't going to happen. Were a member policed forum which welcomes n00bs with open arms, and as such you get repeat posts of the same BS in every thread(will it work on stl1, hows the battery life, whats an autoloader, etc, etc). either scroll past it or move onto another thread, or better yet, wh not start our own finding and fixes threads and maintain them yourself? I think you'll find its not as easy as you propose.

Look, I read every godamn post in a leaked/beta OS thread, or finding and fixes thread before I decide to load a leaked OS. If you can't be bothered to read or cant scroll past the BS posts then perhaps you shouldn't be in those threads to begin with?
    People have volunteered to do it for free and are shot down.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 06:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    If we have a willing volunteer or two, who can commit to starting find and fix threads hence forth, and keep up maintain the OP info, I'm pretty sure y'all would have our full support.
    Says to me that the mod team would allow you guys to do it, if it was maintained.
    bungaboy and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-11-14 06:40 AM
    It's not so much the "stupid" questions, it's the obvious too lazy to read posts that turn normally patient and helpful into frustrated and rude.

I also don't understand why repetitive questions and replies can't be deleted. It's no longer fostering discussion after the third "what's this box?"

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 STL 100-3 / 10.3.1.1016
    I've already answered this once. We are not going to become a hostile forum, where every question is only allowed to be asked once, and all others are cleansed from the site. The irony! *face-palm*

This is not a a fixes/findings thread, but is a thread for discussion of an idea.

Posted via CB10
    *echem*

They were joking.

Turn the leaks forum into VIP members only? (Yeah, I know, you wouldn't really suggest that. Would you?)

Posted via CB10
    What was shot down was another mod, dedicated to stripping everything repetitive out of the forum. See answer #1
    11-11-14 07:27 AM
    As much as I try to be positive about it all, ^^ is exactly right. Reading and taking matters into ones own hands to dig for info has become a lost art. Some people treat the forums as Google when really they should be using Google lol.
    Seeing as you agree with the sentiment of the thread, as Head CB Honcho, what do you believe could realistically be done to improve the user experience in these threads given the resources available ?

Clearly, carrying on as we are is seemingly annoying some very valuable contributors to the community whose input we can ill afford to lose.

Maybe some "Technical Guru Mods" could be appointed to specifically police just the Leaked OS Forums.
    11-11-14 07:31 AM
    *echem*

They were joking.
    Sorry ... I missed that. I was looking for a or a but I didn't see one.
    11-11-14 08:53 AM
    Point taken. I'll focus on curating my own wiki instead.
    This sounds like the best solution, as far as being able to implement a go-to resource that would control the information and how it is displayed. However, it also seems like the most expensive and labor intensive solution.

So, now I'm asking ... are you serious about doing this?
    11-11-14 08:57 AM

This sounds like the best solution, as far as being able to implement a go-to resource that would control the information and how it is displayed. However, it also seems like the most expensive and labor intensive solution.

So, now I'm asking ... are you serious about doing this?
    He's a lawyer. His printed word is binding.
    bungaboy and niss63 like this.
    11-11-14 09:42 AM
    Seeing as you agree with the sentiment of the thread, as Head CB Honcho, what do you believe could realistically be done to improve the user experience in these threads given the resources available ?

Clearly, carrying on as we are is seemingly annoying some very valuable contributors to the community whose input we can ill afford to lose.

Maybe some "Technical Guru Mods" could be appointed to specifically police just the Leaked OS Forums.
    Much as it seems like a big deal, this thread has attracted little attention.

Reality is, no matter how much policing, which almost everybody hates, the repetition will continue. Wu-wei has graciously volunteered to wiki, which we can insert into any find/fix OP, and the Modfia if we have a short list of serious volunteers, will make sure who me ever's first off that list to make the thread will have it, and all others will be closed. There are so many stickies in here already, I for one would be reluctant to add another.

Do I have an Amen?
    11-11-14 09:51 AM
    I've already answered this once. We are not going to become a hostile forum, where every question is only allowed to be asked once, and all others are cleansed from the site. The irony! *face-palm*
    I don't really see how it would be hostile if the first post specifically states the thread rules, and has a link to another thread for questions.

We are not talking about a forum wide deal here. Just 1 specific thread dedicated to making information easy to find so you don't have to ask 15 times.

I don't think anyone would have issues with something like that.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-11-14 09:54 AM
    My bad here.. I was joking but I did missed the proper smileys.
    All good though

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    11-11-14 10:13 AM
    I don't really see how it would be hostile if the first post specifically states the thread rules, and has a link to another thread for questions.

We are not talking about a forum wide deal here. Just 1 specific thread dedicated to making information easy to find so you don't have to ask 15 times.

I don't think anyone would have issues with something like that.

Posted via CB10
    Third time brought up in this thread. Got a problem with me deleting it? (See what I did there )

Tell ya what, if PK or Bla1ze can get enough mods on board, they can have at it. I know we have much more important work to do, the majority of which y'all never see.
    bungaboy and john_v like this.
    11-11-14 10:19 AM
    Much as it seems like a big deal, this thread has attracted little attention.
    And here I thought it generated a decent level of views/responses, considering the subject matter. Next time I'll take your advice and start the title with "iOS is better than BlackBerry..."

11-11-14 10:58 AM
    Let me break this down for y'all as clearly as my Wulfanese will allow...

You want all duplicate questions deleted. Not sure how anyone can remember all questions to do this, but let's say that's possible. Then, in order to not tick off the noobs etc, a PM is sent each time. Of course, posts can come in fast and furious, so you return to the thread, and there's more dupes, with quoted responses. Some nice, some not so nice. Now you need to delete those too. Decisions whether a warning/infraction for such must be made, and again, PM's sent to each delete made. If not, and even with, the Modfia will get PM's, BBM's etc. So now you're back in the thread again, but you have PM's to answer, or the same person reposting, because they didn't see they had a PM. ‎

Starting to get the picture why simply and politely answering the same question repeatedly, is the most efficient use of everyone's time?
    11-11-14 11:19 AM
    Starting to get the picture why simply and politely answering the same question repeatedly, is the most efficient use of everyone's time? ‎
    But if we continue to do this, how will we ever educate the "noobs"

Perhaps every forum should have a sticky in bold red letters highlighting the search before you post mantra ?
    1oo1 and BoldAlways like this.
    11-11-14 11:40 AM
    And here I thought it generated a decent level of views/responses, considering the subject matter. Next time I'll take your advice and start the title with "iOS is better than BlackBerry..."

Y'all are acting like the entire forum is up in arms about this, and preparing a revolt. From my perspective, it's a few of you. I respect the sentiment, the member's in this thread, and love some of you dearly, but I could start a thread about "What OS I'm really on", and probably generate more activity in an hour. Most of you are the best of the best. I'm confident y'all are more than capable of searching, but lessons can be provided upon request.

What this thread has done, is result in some great ideas we can implement in the future. Specific members charged with starting find/fix threads along with maintaining the OP with all important facts, and wu-wei generating a wiki we can link from said OP. Overall, some damn outstanding work. Kudos to all!
    Legal Eagle and homer1475 like this.
    11-11-14 11:48 AM

Perhaps every forum should have a sticky in bold red letters highlighting the search before you post mantra ?
    We could tattoo it to their forehead. If they don't look in the mirror...

Noobs will be noobs. You senior members and we mods need to continue to do that educating behind the scenes.
    BoldAlways likes this.
    11-11-14 11:53 AM
    Agreed, Mr Wulf, it's not a "Sexy Subject" and as such will attract little attention from the "leak warriors" , but is it often the boring admin things that few care about that make things so much better for the very folks who aren't interested in them.

I have been encouraged by the dialogue in here to remember what a difficult job the unpaid Mods have throughout the Forums, thanks to you all.

If only one small spark of an idea generated in this thread helps to make CB a better place, job done.
    BigBadWulf and BoldAlways like this.
    11-11-14 12:03 PM

I hope this comment does not "p" off the mods, but here it goes either way.....

I am getting the impression that we are not here to educate but rather to hold their hands and spoon feed the noobs. I wonder if that's how they manage themselves at their work place as well.

PS. The current stickies aren't read either, little chance more stickies is the answer.
    11-11-14 12:32 PM
    Nope, not sexy at all, LoL.

So now on to the thread volunteers. Remember, this will be a hard job, with no reward beyond likes/thanks, and a spot in the limelight. The members will hate you if you fall behind, and the Modfia will kill you should you start reporting every repeat question. Patience will be your virtue. I for one will question your sanity, but love you forever.
    11-11-14 12:34 PM
    I hope this comment does not "p" off the mods, but here it goes either way.....

I am getting the impression that we are not here to educate but rather to hold their hands and spoon feed the noobs. I wonder if that's how they manage themselves at their work place as well.

PS. The current stickies aren't read either, little chance more stickies is the answer.
    Meh, how many stay noobs forever?
    11-11-14 12:36 PM
    Nope, not sexy at all, LoL.

So now on to the thread volunteers. Remember, this will be a hard job, with no reward beyond likes/thanks, and a spot in the limelight. The members will hate you if you fall behind, and the Modfia will kill you should you start reporting every repeat question. Patience will be your virtue. I for one will question your sanity, but love you forever.
    I go power crazy, and even if I were to take on the task, I would fail worse than the BerryLeaks falling out. It would be funny to watch though. I should do it and video myself as I monitor and prune the threads. YouTube top 500 in no time.......
    11-11-14 12:38 PM
    Meh, how many stay noobs forever?
    Good point......

I have been a noob for the last 8 years.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-14 12:38 PM
    I go power crazy, and even if I were to take on the task, I would fail worse than the BerryLeaks falling out. It would be funny to watch though. I should do it and video myself as I monitor and prune the threads. YouTube top 500 in no time.......
    I think you're misinterpreting something. I'm not suggesting any powers, no badge, and as I've said repeatedly, NO DELETIONS. Just responsibility, and the satisfaction that comes from doing a hard job well.
    11-11-14 12:50 PM
    Awwwwww.

I don't even like half the people here and to get yelled at without being able to delete their posts...............

Just kidding. So the person would just have to create the Findings and fixings thread(s) with 2 additional place holder posts, monitor the thread from start to finish( goes without saying ), take NEW findings and place them into the Original post, add the fix or workaround if there is one, then notify a mod to delete the post in question? Or would that post in question remain. If it remained then the whole purpose of referring to the OP would be lost.

Or if possible, instead of deleting said post, just remove the contents or add a "Reviewed and directed to OP." message making it known to others that the repetive or already noted post has been taken care of.?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-14 01:02 PM
180 12345 ...