Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this - I am unable to set customized contact notifications for BBM. However, a friend of mine does have this option.

The scenario:

* I have a Z10 STL 100-3 - running 10.3.1.632 on AT&T - I HAVE NO OPTION in customized notifications for a specific contact for BBM. I have options for phone calls, text messages, email messages, and other messaging. (BBM does not work under other messaging)

* My friend has the identical device, same OS, same carrier - HE DOES HAVE THE OPTION for BBM custom notifications, as well as the other categories mentioned above. We have traded screen shots so I know this is true.

The only difference - I am on BES, he is not.

Could anyone provide any insight into why I do not have the BBM option available? Perhaps someone else on BES can check this out for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    10-09-14 05:25 PM
    I would say BES is the reason. I am using z30 but not on BES and I have that option too.
    But to check, to know you have that option, go to settings, notifications. Scroll down to "customise contacts", click it and choose a contact then you will have options to set notifications for phone calls, BBM, email, text and other messages.
    If you have that, then just set the BBM notifications for that contact and you are good.

Official Board Member of the Peevishlicious Crew
    10-09-14 05:42 PM
    I would say BES is the reason. I am using z30 but not on BES and I have that option too.
    But to check, to know you have that option, go to settings, notifications. Scroll down to "customise contacts", click it and choose a contact then you will have options to set notifications for phone calls, BBM, email, text and other messages.
    If you have that, then just set the BBM notifications for that contact and you are good.

Thanks, Shorski - I do know how to set up the customizations. The point is that I DO NOT have the BBM option available - it is simply not there.
    10-09-14 05:46 PM
    you customize through the specific contact not BBM the result is the same

Z30 10.3.1.632
    10-09-14 05:46 PM
    Thanks, Shorski - I do know how to set up the customizations. The point is that I DO NOT have the BBM option available - it is simply not there.
    Well then, except someone with BES can confirm they have it, I will still say BES is the issue.
    Okay, here is what I think it is. You need to use the BBM contact and not the phone contact.

Last edited by shorski; 10-09-14 at 06:08 PM.
    10-09-14 05:58 PM
    I'm not on BES, but have had a similar problem caused by linked contacts so you may want to check that.

I had separate contacts for my wife's BBM and email. I was able to set a custom notification for her BBM, and it was working. Later I started trying to fix some of the address book mess and linked her two contacts. The BBM custom notification stopped working for her, and now I do not even have the option of setting a BBM notification for her.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 05:59 PM
    I'm not sure if this is exactly your issue, but at least closely related, I had the custom bbm notifications working initially, but then in an attempt to fix my duplicate contacts, I added the BlackBerry pin to a different entry for the contact, and deleted the one that bbm was recognizing. But now bbm is still showing the contact photo, which was different, from the deleted entry, and not recognizing the new one or giving the option for bbm notifications in the contact after pin was added.

The bbm contacts that I didn't mess with still give me the options though. Check for duplicate entries of your contacts and see if there's a different one your bbm is recognizing. Unfortunately, I haven't found a fix for going back now that I deleted the entries bbm liked.
    10-09-14 06:10 PM
    Okay, here is what I think it is. You need to use the BBM contact and not the phone contact.
    Also if you add the pin to the phone contact, you still won't have that option until you use the BBM contact that BBM actually saved it with.

10-09-14 06:14 PM
    Thanks to everyone who responded - I did not have any of the contacts linked; however, I do have a couple of BBM contacts where the original BBM invite was via PIN - those give me the BBM customization option. Others, (like my wife and my friend), the BBM invite was done via email, which is or course linked to my contacts which reside on the Exchange server.

So - I will try with my wife's Z10: delete the existing BBM contact, remove her BB PIN from my main contact for her, then re-invite her using PIN only. I will let you all know if this solved the problem.

And again - thanks everyone for the responses, suggestions and help!
    10-09-14 07:24 PM
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this - I am unable to set customized contact notifications for BBM. However, a friend of mine does have this option.

The scenario:

* I have a Z10 STL 100-3 - running 10.3.1.632 on AT&T - I HAVE NO OPTION in customized notifications for a specific contact for BBM. I have options for phone calls, text messages, email messages, and other messaging. (BBM does not work under other messaging)

* My friend has the identical device, same OS, same carrier - HE DOES HAVE THE OPTION for BBM custom notifications, as well as the other categories mentioned above. We have traded screen shots so I know this is true.

The only difference - I am on BES, he is not.

Could anyone provide any insight into why I do not have the BBM option available? Perhaps someone else on BES can check this out for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    If you link all that particular individual's contacts together you will see the BBM option...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-09-14 08:11 PM
    MYSTERY SOLVED - any linking together of contacts did not help - and unlinking also did not help.
    The fix (verified with my buddy's Z10):
    1) Remove BB PIN from the main contact record (the contact containing phone, email, etc.)
    2) Delete existing BBM contact from BBM
    3) Re-send BBM invite using BB PIN
    4) Go to customized notifications, add the new BBM contact, and now the BBM option is there.

Walla - everything worked - custom alert tone, LED color, number of vibrations!!

Thanks again to everyone who responded and posted ideas!!!

DonH
    10-09-14 08:45 PM
    MYSTERY SOLVED - any linking together of contacts did not help - and unlinking also did not help.
    The fix (verified with my buddy's Z10):
    1) Remove BB PIN from the main contact record (the contact containing phone, email, etc.)
    2) Delete existing BBM contact from BBM
    3) Re-send BBM invite using BB PIN
    4) Go to customized notifications, add the new BBM contact, and now the BBM option is there.

Walla - everything worked - custom alert tone, LED color, number of vibrations!!

Thanks again to everyone who responded and posted ideas!!!

DonH
    I meant to say link all contacts MANUALLY. Not with the settings button...sorry.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-09-14 10:59 PM
    Well - when my wife got home from work, I duplicated what I did with my buddy - and it did not work this time. So - the mystery continues . . .
    10-09-14 11:44 PM
    Now mystery solved again - I was trying by sending PINGS from my wife's phone - turns out it works only with typed messages - so is now working fine.
    10-10-14 12:41 AM