Forgive me for being paranoid but given the climate around cell phones these days... in 10.2 I found a running service called verizon sso agent. I don't have any verizon apps running so I'm wondering why this service is running and what it does beyond being a single sign on service? Any thoughts?

Root

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 01:08 PM
    Here are the answers you seek...
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 01:22 PM
    Um, ok. So I know what an SSO agent is, or what someone says it might be, but if I am not running any Verizon apps, there should be no need for it to be running. What my question is aimed at is - has anyone actually done any investigation into what this agent actually does as opposed to what it purports by name to do. There is no reason I can think of for it to be running without need to do so, and it cannot be killed in the device monitor (the option is greyed out). So, my question stands and I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Root

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 02:12 PM
    08-07-13 02:17 PM
    Do you have Verizon? If so probably part of their authentication to the network

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 02:20 PM
    So I will take a huge stab at this. you are probably seeing this app because the Carrier you
    are using has either deal with Verizon and/or is using their software to manage your phone on their network or Verizon's network.
    It is nothing to really worry about, they just don't have an authentication app of their own and are using a third party to do it.

here is a link, food for thought, the link is old but should give you ideas!

About TELUS
    10-23-13 01:34 PM
    Some apps such as MLB and NHL give some free services to Verizon customers. Could the SSO option authenticate for those add-ons?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 06:17 PM
    Connect the phone to WiFi, turn off the data networking and stick a packet sniffer on the network and find out what it's sending.
    10-23-13 07:52 PM
    Yes, it probably supports vzw specific services such as watching commercial TV and dvr shows, etc. Single sign on. I wouldn't worry about it its just a helper agent to login to other apps/services and won't be used, probably, for anything else. If your not accessing that site or app, the sso helper probably won't do anything.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:01 PM
    Verizon SSO Agent is used to automatically log you into VZW supported apps like Backup Assistant and My Verizon. When you launch those apps, you should not be asked for you My Verizon username and password. If you are prompted for password in either app, there is a problem with the way Verizon SSO Agent is operating on your device.

My question:
    Has anyone found a way to clear/reset the data in this "app"? I am having a problem where I changed My Verizon password and the Verizon SSO Agent hasn't updated to match...
    01-26-14 08:43 PM
    Somebody knows how to remove as i don't use my VZW sim card anymore, but this agent is still running.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 02:37 PM