06-29-16 10:44 AM
56 123
tools
    I'm not that old..
    Glad I'm wearing my boots....
    Uzi likes this.
    04-26-16 10:08 PM
    Yeah, my Curve was issued with 4.2, and remember breathlessly awaiting the 4.3 update that I did manually. Hard to believe that was over 7 years ago. Then there was that big 4.5 and the crowd went wild!
    04-26-16 10:10 PM
    But then, lo and behold, BlackBerry 9700 runs OS 6 poorly due to lack of memory.
    Never understood why
    a) they didn't go with 512MB from the start just like with the 9650
    b) they used these crappy 624 MHz Marvell CPUs for so long (9000 until 9780)
    Especially b) was one of the main reasons BBOS devices were getting slower and slower (because at the same time the OS got fatter and fatter).
    04-27-16 02:55 AM
    I've always been a blackberry fanboy at heart. I can't say I've used every model or kept up with CB or anything, but my first smartphone was BB bold 9700 and I remember how happy I was when I got it. Then due to apps and performance I would switch between iphone and bb. LoL fun times for sure.

I hold some anger towards RIM/Blackberry for what they did to their handsets. They had massive potential, but never ever pushed the envelope, until it was too late. We have BB10 OS now and it's great, but had it been developed earlier and implemented ( or even thought of), BB would still be on the top of the list. I am now an android/iOS user mostly but I always go back to my old BB devices every now and then, just for nostalgia.

It breaks my heart to see where BB has ended up. But at the end of the day, it is their fault for not keeping up with user needs and desires. Now they're using android OS on BB to grasp at any user willing to give them a chance. You may flame me all you want, but even you know that you can't keep users waiting for "the next update" or "this will be a feature in the next device/update". It's not sustainable.

I just hope they keep their BB services alive so I can return to my old BB devices whenever I'm feeling nostalgic.
    04-27-16 03:42 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. Those of us who have enjoyed the drama and occasional pain of BBOS and BB10 can switch to W10M and get more of the same. The drama here is definitely winding down.

I got a Lumia 640 a couple of weeks ago, to play with. I immediately went into the Insiders' program and bumped it to Windows 10. I have to say, for a cheap POS phone, with 1 GB of RAM, it's not half bad. And we can get our fill of drama at Windows Central. Check out the angst in this thread for example: Is it just me or are universal apps picking up momentum? - Page 2 - Windows Central Forums.

Yes, it was exciting here when we looked forward to updates to BBOS and then learned new tips and tricks to getting the most out of it. And there were some creative developers building utilities to bring it to the next level of efficiency. And the same was true for BB10 for a while, but the trend has been one of decline pretty much from the start.
    WIN10 is HORRIBLE. I mean - it's the same wasteland in app terms, but on BB10 you can run Android apps. and the OS - is just a piece of crap. to be honest.
    04-27-16 04:40 AM
    I honestly think thats the way the entire industry has become, now that Android and IOS have become embedded into mainstream culture, a lot of the early innovation and excitement are gone. Thats just called progress, I was looking at the sailfish OS and thought I might buy one of the devices to play around with, but not much available that support the US carriers.

I have been around since the early days and yes I missed getting excited about the new OS10 leaks and couldn't wait for the next one to be released, now it's a wait and see game with Blackberry. Hopefully they will at least release a couple of low priced Android devices for their enterprise clients, but that remains to be seen.

For me, I am here for the long haul, being in the auto industry all of my carrier, I am used to seeing change and products and brands being phased out and new ones being developed. Its called progress, whether you choose to accept it or not.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-27-16 05:39 AM
    Time to move back to BBOS. Rocking the 9900 for the next five years.
    04-27-16 05:44 AM
    Well, it's sad. When i've had enough it's the HP Elite X3 for me.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    04-27-16 06:21 AM
    Time to move back to BBOS. Rocking the 9900 for the next five years.
    Until the carriers start shutting down their 3G networks, amirite?
    04-27-16 07:30 AM
    Until the carriers start shutting down their 3G networks, amirite?
    When is this planned for?! There are still large parts of the world that don't have 3G nevermind 4G.
    04-27-16 08:13 AM
    Nowadays, only morticians find BB10 exciting.

*A3-A20
    How about the 9900 users?

🔥 📶
    04-27-16 08:30 AM
    WIN10 is HORRIBLE. I mean - it's the same wasteland in app terms, but on BB10 you can run Android apps. and the OS - is just a piece of crap. to be honest.
    Well, yes and no. My impression is that the app situation in W10M is not as bad as BB10, but that's not to say it's good. More, but not all, of the "name" apps are there. And they're all native apps, which can't be said for BB10. It's true that BB10 can run Android apps, but that situation is deteriorating as more Android apps are updated beyond JellyBean, while the BB10 runtime remains frozen there. And some that still manage to run don't run as well, as they are updated. I'm thinking of Tapatalk in particular here, which is now almost unusable on my Passport.

Another problem in W10M is that many of the apps that are there are simply not as good as their iOS and Android counterparts, so there's that. On the other hand, as you can read in the thread I linked, there are beginning to be some signs that Universal Windows 10 apps are gaining a little traction, with new titles and updates appearing. Although this is driven mainly by the Surface tablets, the W10M devices are a beneficiary. And this appears to be Microsoft's long-term strategy, to build the strength of the already-popular Surface line and let the rising tide lift the mobile side as well.

As for the OS, well, opinions vary. It's certainly not as sophisticated as BB10, but I still rather enjoy it. I like the tiles and the way I can set things up. Battery performance is quite good. The VKB is decent. It doesn't have BB10's more powerful email features, but for me email is about replying, deleting, or filing into folders, and it does those things fine. Visually, there's room for improvement, but I think W10M is already better than WP8.1 on most counts.

All that said, I'm not yet using it as my daily driver. I still prefer the larger screen of my OnePlus One. But I'd consider a larger-screen W10M device going forward.

But the main point, as far as this thread is concerned, is for those of us who have been addicted to the drama and occasional pain of the fortunes of BBOS and BB10 over the years...there's much of the same to be found in W10M. Ironic as it may be for Microsoft to be in the role of underdog, it is that. The platform has taken a major hit in the past year, and yet there are some signs of development. And Microsoft can be as frustrating and cryptic as BlackBerry, when it comes to saying "soon". Who doesn't want more of that?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-27-16 08:40 AM
    Remember refreshing the browser hoping the next leak was posted? Well I do....unfortunately, its only a memory now. Maybe someone will have the balls to start up a new cell phone company....nah...who am I kidding...I really miss all the posts .....all I can do is buy used BB's and install autoloaders to fill the void....
    True. There was lot of hype in those days . Time to move on and I chose the Priv and enjoying the lively updates on the device .
    04-27-16 09:03 AM
    Never understood why
    a) they didn't go with 512MB from the start just like with the 9650
    b) they used these crappy 624 MHz Marvell CPUs for so long (9000 until 9780)
    Especially b) was one of the main reasons BBOS devices were getting slower and slower (because at the same time the OS got fatter and fatter).
    I think the mentality to hold back on hardware and to cut corners in all aspects of hardware while attempting to command premium pricing has existed for BlackBerry since day 1 of its existence as RIM. It's in the DNA of BlackBerry the company. Just look at all the releases of their devices to this day, there is always something being held back and made sub-par.
    04-27-16 10:35 AM
    I think the mentality to hold back on hardware and to cut corners in all aspects of hardware while attempting to command premium pricing has existed for BlackBerry since day 1 of its existence as RIM. It's in the DNA of BlackBerry the company. Just look at all the releases of their devices to this day, there is always something being held back and made sub-par.
    As well, the spaghetti jungle that was BBOS wasn't exactly receptive to new improvements.
    04-27-16 12:42 PM
    I think that is not completely a choice made by RIM, maybe they have no choice other than to price they phones like they do to make some profit. I'm not defending with my eyes closed, I'm just guessing here. Otherwise, why in hell they would chose that path?
    04-28-16 09:29 AM
    ....and i thought this was a thread of someone that had lost all interest in sex.....

Posted via z10
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    04-28-16 10:04 AM
    I just loved the feeling of going against the tide and get a BlackBerry 10 device when it's market share was 2%. It was so much better than the alternatives and so low key! I thought the world was wrong and that I was out smarting the 98%.

The rest you all know...

Nothing cooler than an underdog, when they are winning!

Posted via CB10
    You thought right.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 08:50 PM
    Forget Windows phones, I'm looking into Ubuntu phones. I already use only Ubuntu for all my computers, one Ubuntu phone OS can do the few things I need it to, I'm going to give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 11:56 PM
    To be honest, I never did like sliders and then they added android so I am not even a little bit interested in the Priv....even if I won one, I doubt I would use it for more than 5 minutes, let alone a daily driver!

True. There was lot of hype in those days . Time to move on and I chose the Priv and enjoying the lively updates on the device .
    04-29-16 12:09 AM
    I just loved the feeling of going against the tide and get a BlackBerry 10 device when it's market share was 2%. It was so much better than the alternatives and so low key! I thought the world was wrong and that I was out smarting the 98%.

The rest you all know...

Nothing cooler than an underdog, when they are winning!

Posted via CB10
    I'm with ya 100% there.
    --
    Mike
    04-29-16 12:24 AM
    You're missing the nostalgic

And necrophiliacs...

Posted via CB10
    Larry Harper likes this.
    05-11-16 08:15 PM
    BTW I heard of a new yellow BlackBerry coming out. It'll be called mid yellow berry

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 08:16 PM
    I felt so short yellow bus special when I was able to shrink the OS manually memorizing the jad and cod files that could be deleted lol
    Those leaky days were moist.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    05-23-16 07:39 PM
    I felt so short yellow bus special when I was able to shrink the OS manually memorizing the jad and cod files that could be deleted lol
    Those leaky days were moist.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    Yeh, I came across a folder on my PC the other day while doing some cleanup that contained BSAK, JL Commander, and several alx files in addition to some old cods and jads.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-23-16 08:20 PM
56 123