Picked up a USB network adapter with a y USB on-the-go (OTG) cable in an attempt to better stream media to my TV via HDMI cable and a wired network connection to the media source.

When the USB-OTG cable is plugged in to the network adapter, the Z30 reports connected in the network connections, USB sub-menu and the network adapter's lights come on.

However, with mobile and WiFi radios off, the browser cannot lookup Web pages. You can set a manual IP on the sub-menu but only in the 169.254.x.x range which is not a routable IP address.

Has anyone had any luck with connecting a USB-OTG cable with USB network adapter and getting a live network connection?
    jajor likes this.
    05-26-15 10:08 PM
    First, this will not be an answer to your question so don't read further if you are looking for a fix. Its a headache pill instead.

You can easily get any player that will play [almost] anyy content for under $50. From Blu-ray players to Roku, Amzon stick, dozens on options. Even for under $30.

I used to be geeky like you and I gave up at some point.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 10:47 PM
    I lost my otg cable *(

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 11:00 PM
    I agree that for this situation, the Roku-type solution is simpler.

However, if we stay true to mobile computing, per BlackBerry, there are many cases where wireless connectivity are not an option.

It should be essential that USB wired network adapters are supported for business situations where wireless is unavailable.
    05-27-15 01:41 AM
    IP settings in USB UI is for "IP over USB" with PC .. not for USB-ethernet adapter. You have not way to set IP for USB-ethernet...
    05-28-15 02:25 PM
    However, if we stay true to mobile computing, per BlackBerry, there are many cases where wireless connectivity are not an option.

It should be essential that USB wired network adapters are supported for business situations where wireless is unavailable.
    I completely disagree. You're simply mistaking mobile computing for actual computing; something too many people do, unfortunately. Your smart phone is designed to do certain things, but it is not designed to replace full computing solutions; and this is where you're completely mistaken.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 07:53 PM
    They showed a Z10 attached to a computer monitor saying you can do whatever you can do on a computer, replace a desktop. For lack of a good word editor, you could do that in the enterprise.
    05-29-15 12:30 AM
    They showed a Z10 attached to a computer monitor saying you can do whatever you can do on a computer, replace a desktop. For lack of a good word editor, you could do that in the enterprise.
    Can you connect a monitor? Yes

Can you do a lot of things your full sized computer can? Yes

Does that mean they should design a mobile phone that can be hooked up to ethernet? No; there's not s single use case scenario where someone would use a mobile phone as a desktop/laptop replacement.

Hooking up a monitor, keyboard and mouse is a novelty and an extremely rare use case scenario.

The question that begs to be asked now is, why do YOU want to connect an ethernet cable to your phone?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 03:53 AM
    You might want to try a Wifi travel router. Fast and easy when you have an ethernet connection but not wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 02:58 PM
    See my original post, Zero. I want a hardline into my phone so that I can transfer data to it faster than WiFi.
    05-29-15 08:41 PM
    See my original post, Zero. I want a hardline into my phone so that I can transfer data to it faster than WiFi.
    It's called a USB cable, that is the hardline to transfer data faster than WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 03:13 AM
    You sound like an entitled brat. "I want it" is not the same as "this product that you bought with no promise of an ethernet connection does not in fact have an ethernet connection."
    05-30-15 08:49 AM
    Thanks for your comment, Brad. You will note that I replied with I want to be direct in my response to Zero. Please follow the thread.

What I do expect is that a mobile computing solution has a means to connect to a network without a radio broadcasting.

So, we do not have an ethernet stack on BB10, yet.
    06-01-15 12:55 PM
    But always is possible to create "USB-net to LAN adapter" from Rpi with range NAT to local LAN ..
    06-01-15 06:11 PM
    Kaacz, that sounds great! How exactly do I use that?
    06-01-15 09:57 PM
    What I do expect is that a mobile computing solution has a means to connect to a network without a radio broadcasting.
    And this is where you're totally wrong. It's a mobile phone first and foremost. Neither you nor anyone should expect a mobile phone to be able to connect to hardline for voice and/or data.

If what you want is a mobile device that can connect to a hardline for voice/or data, then you certainly choose the wrong option; and your expectations are misconstrued.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-02-15 02:21 AM
    And this is where you're totally wrong. It's a mobile phone first and foremost. Neither you nor anyone should expect a mobile phone to be able to connect to hardline for voice and/or data.

If what you want is a mobile device that can connect to a hardline for voice/or data, then you certainly choose the wrong option; and your expectations are misconstrued.
    Posted via CB10
    If I read this, you have not Zero barrier. You have many barriers in your mind ..
    And this is where you're totally wrong.

For example: On smartphone with opensource Linux OS and USB-host I am able to use usb-ethernet adapter and connect to devices via wire. And I use it for troubleshooting - sniff slow ethernet traffic (for example from IPTV SetTopBox on 100mbit ethernet). No need notebook/laptop computer.
    With powerful devices, as smartphones are, we may to do anything ..
    Last edited by Kaacz; 06-02-15 at 02:57 AM.
    06-02-15 02:45 AM
    Kaacz, that sounds great! How exactly do I use that?
    You need to have Raspberry Pi or similar computer as adaptor/convertor.
    First - on RPi you must set working cdc usbnet connectivity with phone.
    Second - on RPi set ethernet port with your home LAN
    Third - set range static nat 1:1 from usb netvork IPs to LAN IPs (except ip of phone a RPi) in iptables with forwarding.
    Done.
    I have not spare time to make guide ....

PS: that all in generally. But maybe there is limitation - if i remember, BB use netmask /30 on USB network .. this idea is broken ...
    PPS: but still it is usable for connectivity to one device or more with different ip ports via portNAT on RPi cdc IP...
    06-02-15 02:56 AM
    If I read this, you have not Zero barrier. You have many barriers in your mind ..
    And this is where you're totally wrong.
    I'm wrong?

You need to have Raspberry Pi or similar computer as adaptor/convertor.
    So you need a Raspberry Pi or similar computer... instead of just doing all on a single device such as a laptop; your suggestion is to use multiple devices just for a wonky work-around?

You pretty much proved me right.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 04:01 AM
    Thanks, Kaacz, that sounds great. I would love more info.

Zero, I am not sure why you defend the no option space. Why would you so diligently not want a hardline into your device?

It opens many possibilities via a clean data pipe for data transfer and streaming.
    06-04-15 12:43 AM
    I'm wrong?
    You are first, who wrote "And this is where you're totally wrong".
    If You are "blind"? Yes. If You don't see it, it doesn't mean "it doesn't exist".
    People with barriers on mind never invent something new...
    PS: it is not mobile phone, it is SmartPhone (with huge compute power). Mobile phone is Nokia 3110 for example..

So you need a Raspberry Pi or similar computer... instead of just doing all on a single device such as a laptop; your suggestion is to use multiple devices just for a wonky work-around?
    Yes, but workaround only for closed BB OS. I have opensource Linux smartphone what is able to do ethernet connectivity with standard usb/ethernet adaptor. No need your huge/heavy laptop. I do not have a laptop, I have no reason to have it.
    Because you are "blind", You not recognize "Raspberry Pi or similar computer". Exist many computers smaller than RPi .. and cheap. RPi is "big canon" for this kind of use.
    PS: Laptop in your case is "to use multiple device" also (and bigger). Smartphone I have in pocket always.
    Last edited by Kaacz; 06-04-15 at 06:22 PM.
    06-04-15 05:55 PM
    When i see this page Black Swift - Black Swift, it is simply to create it on this $26 microcomputer (embeded Linux) and with standard usb/ethernet adaptor. I'll try it - Black Swift will arrive to me this month ..
    Maybe exist cheaper solution with $3 Arduino Nano + $3 Arduino ethernet module .. but I don't know anything about maximal speed on it.. maybe it is too slow (and 10Mbit port).

PS: anyone have $26 laptop ??
    Last edited by Kaacz; 06-04-15 at 06:41 PM.
    06-04-15 06:10 PM
    Can you connect a monitor? Yes

Can you do a lot of things your full sized computer can? Yes

Does that mean they should design a mobile phone that can be hooked up to ethernet? No; there's not s single use case scenario where someone would use a mobile phone as a desktop/laptop replacement.

Hooking up a monitor, keyboard and mouse is a novelty and an extremely rare use case scenario.

The question that begs to be asked now is, why do YOU want to connect an ethernet cable to your phone?

Posted via CB10
    Hi guys, I'd like to connect an ethernet cable to m'y phone today cause: I'm working with an old iBook g4 in perfect condition, and the available Operating System currently installed does not provide yet:

- ssh client with state of ar encryption
    - usb tethering...
    - wpa encryption for wifi

So how should I setup my BlackBerry SE to share internet connectivity ?
    01-24-18 10:19 PM
    Has anyone tried simply setting up the router to use 169.254.x.x? And then set a static ip for the BlackBerry?

Usually routers will assign ip addresses in the range of 192.169.x.x or 10.0.x.x. So set it up in the correct range? Any one? I'd do it myself but I don't have a nifty USB to ethernet adapter.
    01-26-18 01:41 AM
    Clever thought but 169.254.0.0 is reserved in the standard and not forwardable.
    01-29-18 01:05 AM