01-21-15 09:05 AM
50 12
tools
    Leaks are the reason I'm still on BlackBerry. If it wasn't for leaks, it would be months upon months to have a working fully featured OS for phones such as the Z30 or a camera that actucally focuses right on the Passport. 10.3 brings needed features to the Z30, Z10 etc and it was leaked in the summer. It's now January in the next year and 10.3 still hasn't been rolled out and likely won't be for a couple of months from now. Seeing as the majority of Passports and Classics are bought from Amazon and Shop BlackBerry, it's inexcusable to allow carriers to push the updates because the carriers shouldn't control a product they likely don't even sell. BlackBerry should be pushing software updates themselves and every 2-3 months.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not debating the value of leaks for the addicted like you and I. That's not what the OP is about.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-15 10:24 AM
    And I guess he believes that it is bad for Blackberry image to have less then polished non- official O.S.'s running around on thousands of devices.
    But for us, it still su**ks
    I totally get that it sucks for us. But technically we would be running stolen intellectual property
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-11-15 01:02 PM
    Is it true that Chen has ordered all "Leaks" plugged?-placeholder-image.png
    01-11-15 07:09 PM
    I totally get that it sucks for us. But technically we would be running stolen intellectual property
    But 9 times out of 10, these OSes are openly downloaded from BlackBerry's public server. I don't believe that would be considered illegal.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-11-15 07:31 PM
    But 9 times out of 10, these OSes are openly downloaded from BlackBerry's public server. I don't believe that would be considered illegal.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    If your local grocery left the backdoor open, is it ok to walk in and grab what's easily accessible?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-11-15 08:16 PM
    If your local grocery left the backdoor open, is it ok to walk in and grab what's easily accessible?
    These are very bad analogies. Firstly, it's not an item that costs money. Secondly, it's not inside their shop, it's in a public place.
    GPuba likes this.
    01-11-15 08:20 PM
    With the quality of the release OS, especially with camera, I would say the release is no different from a Leak!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 08:33 PM
    These are very bad analogies. Firstly, it's not an item that costs money. Secondly, it's not inside their shop, it's in a public place.
    We both know that door wasn't intended open, and with the competition able to see what's to come, who can measure the cost.
    01-11-15 08:35 PM
    With the quality of the release OS, especially with camera, I would say the release is no different from a Leak!

Posted via CB10
    What release? I haven't seen an official in forever. And I'm hoping the official will have some of the niggles in the leak fixed.
    BigBadWulf, garpt and Blacklatino like this.
    01-11-15 08:40 PM
    We both know that door wasn't intended open, and with the competition able to see what's to come, who can measure the cost.
    The DEV OSes, available to all, let the features of 10.3.x out of the bag a long, long time ago. We've been in bug-fix mode since July.

Typically the time between the first leak and the first DEV OS with any given OS jump is a month or so. Hardly a significant window for the enemy.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    GPuba and jerryeight like this.
    01-11-15 09:00 PM
    The DEV OSes, available to all, let the features of 10.3.x out of the bag a long, long time ago. We've been in bug-fix mode since July.

Typically the time between the first leak and the first DEV OS with any given OS jump is a month or so. Hardly a significant window for the enemy.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    A feature disabled OS designed to run on a simulator, only to test apps? I'll give ya some for that, but it's not a full OS.

Look y'all, I like running leaks like the rest of you, but that doesn't change the reality of it.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-11-15 09:15 PM
    It's a different measure of cost. There is no immediate loss in value because it doesn't cost money to produce copies. Not the same as taking fruit or vegetables from a shop at all.

If you put something that costs $0 out on the footpath: whose fault is it when it is 'used' and who do you complain to?
    GPuba likes this.
    01-11-15 11:02 PM
    It's a different measure of cost. There is no immediate loss in value because it doesn't cost money to produce copies. Not the same as taking fruit or vegetables from a shop at all.

If you put something that costs $0 out on the footpath: whose fault is it when it is 'used' and who do you complain to?
    IDKY y'all feel the need to justify leaks. They are what they are, no matter how many times you split the hair.
    Blacklatino and endevour like this.
    01-11-15 11:15 PM
    clusterfriggle

Best! Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-12-15 07:07 AM
    When Chen spoke of leaks he was not referencing software. He was talking about design leaks of upcoming hardware product road-maps and reference designs. Notice how well they kept they AT&T Passport under wraps. The software "leaks" will keep coming. By the way most of them are not leaks. Just software already released by certain carriers or cobbled from Dev-Os releases.
    01-12-15 07:16 AM
    IMO, I think Chen wants to dry up all leaks of any type. Leaks vs. Official. This debate has been going on for years now. Some say BlackBerry post the leaks for free beta testing, while others say BlackBerry already has an idea as to what is good or bad with the OS before they are placed on the server. To me, I really could care less about who/ why/when and how as related to OS leaks. Leaks are all most of us use because choices are slim if you really want to take advantage of the updated OS features for your BlackBerry. I remember the OS that was on my BlackBerry 10 devices when purchased. No, it wasn't bad....but, it wasn't finished/complete and we want whatever updates are available- no matter how old the device. Waiting on carriers to release an OS is futile. I always find it amusing (now anyway) when someone dismisses the warnings, don't follow directives, installs an OS (leak/beta/Dev/whatever), then contacts BlackBerry or worse- their carrier, to complain about the OS screwing up their BlackBerry. LOL. To date, I'm sure it is still happening the same as those that are actually still trying to wait on the carriers to release updates. The saga continues...
    01-12-15 08:56 AM
    Leaks (most) are like the sample cheese at the 'try it counter' at the store. Sure its free, but that doesn't mean its good.
    mkelley65 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-12-15 09:26 AM
    Yeah, that's part of the disclaimer that's unwritten........you take the good with the bad and downgrade if needed.

Really....CTFD! Sent from my Z30 on .1949 w/ Tap-a-Talk. (*_~)
    01-12-15 09:45 AM
    There is an OS beta zone program. There were several hundred of us that were involved.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Were involved? As in no longer?

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-12-15 10:24 AM
    Were involved? As in no longer?

BlackBerry hates America!
    It has just wrapped up - at least for 10.3.1.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-12-15 10:42 AM
    Without words...

Is it true that Chen has ordered all "Leaks" plugged?-1031of.jpg
    01-20-15 04:42 PM
    We are PAYING for a "working, up-to-date os"...by purchasing the phones...apples and oranges and awww, darn, bad analogy...sorry

Actually if the grocery store sells you bad produce you have the right to go back and ask for a FREE (not stolen) replacement.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1949
    01-21-15 02:03 AM
    Every time there is an OS leak I get this image in my head of Chen as King Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

Sometimes after I install a leak I turn out all the lights and go into hiding because I picture him wanting to see my head on a spike.

It makes leaks more fun pretending he is furious.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 /T-Mobile USA
    01-21-15 02:08 AM
    I agree, yet I am curious what the competition was able to see what's to come that can't already be seen on the Classic OS. (talking about the latest leak here, yeah I know)
    Don't get me wrong, I really do hope the amount of features and 'wow's the OS comes with once released is higher than I expect now, but still...

After all I think those leaks are their current marketing and the one and only reason might be the pure desire for more information and insight on the future and stuff that's going on... cause - let's be honest - reading the BlackBerry blogs is more of bla bla than wow wow, so all that's left is to dig deeper in the world of leaks to fulfill that desire.
    01-21-15 04:22 AM
    It has just wrapped up - at least for 10.3.1.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Implying it's done. Hopefully it gets released soon then.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 09:05 AM
50 12