tools
    Yup I'm using a Wi-Fi connection.

Posted via CB10
    Any proxy along the way?
    05-20-14 06:50 PM
    Lol what are YOU doing using TOR? Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 06:57 PM
    There's been no move on the OpenVPN front since they've added the drivers and config scripts... It's just like with S/Mime and PGP, management at BlackBerry still thinks only enterprises need it and so they only offer that through BES, totally ignoring the SMEs which can benefit from being able to just sign the emails they send to their customers and clients.
    I wouldn't be surprised if OpenVPN was only added to support some line of hardware to make some of their partners happy.
    Preaching to the choir! Imagine my surprise when I found out that my legacy BB could handle S/MIME and BB10 could not unless I was connected through BES. I value my security so much, I was legitimately looking to set up my own managed BES but could not find a secure/affordable enough solution.

In the days of NSA and widespread black hat snooping, why would something as fundamental as keys handling be intentionally crippled to regular consumers? I to this day have no idea. The same goes for OpenVPN; the functionality is all there, they just need to open it up, create the GUI, and polish it. If I could get get root access with some of these Android iterations of programs, then I'd be in business, but alas, not the case.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    05-20-14 08:16 PM
    What kind of surfing are you doing that you need TOR?

Z10 10.2.1.3175 via CB10
    Whatever is needed. Honest people value anonymity as much as dishonest!

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 08:36 PM
    Whatever is needed. Honest people value anonymity as much as dishonest!

Posted via CB10
    Lol right. I dinno any honest ppl who know about Tor

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 09:26 PM
    You are naive to think that. Why do we have VPNS? Why do we use Blackberries for security?

Posted via CB10
    The Me likes this.
    05-20-14 11:04 PM
    Lol right. I dinno any honest ppl who know about Tor

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it's not like honest people from oppressed countries are using Tor to get past unnecessary and often times unethical Internet blockades LULZ!!!!11111oneoneone
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    05-20-14 11:07 PM
    Yeah, it's not like honest people from oppressed countries are using Tor to get past unnecessary and often times unethical Internet blockades LULZ!!!!11111oneoneone
    Eggggggs. Act. Ly!

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 11:12 PM
    In the days of NSA and widespread black hat snooping, why would something as fundamental as keys handling be intentionally crippled to regular consumers? I to this day have no idea. The same goes for OpenVPN; the functionality is all there, they just need to open it up, create the GUI, and polish it. If I could get get root access with some of these Android iterations of programs, then I'd be in business, but alas, not the case.

BlackBerry is a vendor directly to the NSA. 'nuff said.
    05-24-14 12:40 AM
    I hope you all have been keeping up with recent news.
    This is old news. Anyone who uses Tor has long been aware of the prospect of monitoring and sniffing at exit nodes. Tor documentation has always directed users towards its weaknesses in an attempt to increase awareness.
    05-24-14 04:41 AM
    BlackBerry is a vendor directly to the NSA. 'nuff said.
    Are you implying that any use of PGP keys or OpenVPN on BlackBerry 10 would be futile because of a business arrangement, or am I missing something? Or are you implying there is some sort of back door in BlackBerry 10? I am genuinely confused as to what your point is.
    05-24-14 09:34 PM
    Are you implying that any use of PGP keys or OpenVPN on BlackBerry 10 would be futile because of a business arrangement, or am I missing something? Or are you implying there is some sort of back door in BlackBerry 10? I am genuinely confused as to what your point is.

My point is, some of BlackBerry's most important and consistent/long-term customers are in military, law-enforcement and governmental agencies whose activities involve surveillance of citizens. The US NSA is a direct licensee of their Elliptic Curve encryption technology, the Whitehouse staff all use BlackBerries, and the US DoD is one of their largest (probably the largest) institutional customers, among other things.

It has been my personal observation that BlackBerry, while consistently touting security, has been very very reticient to engage in overt campaigns to promote the usage of Blackberry technologies to circumvent "lawful government surveillance". I believe this is because they view such initiatives, if they were to engage in them, as a direct "thumb in the eye" to the kinds of governmental agencies who are large customers of theirs, and feel that it might jeopardize their business relationships with them.

BlackBerry is on-record as stating that there are no "back doors" in their products, but in these post-Snowden days I have come to be awfully cynical about those sorts of corporate announcements. We know for a fact that they have provided certain governments with ways to intercept certain types of BlackBerry customer traffic, after ensuring those government's requests were "lawful" and/or "proportionate". (I don't remember the exact statement wording)

So in a nutshell, in this field, it's awfully hard to take any assurances from companies in such a position 100% at face value.

Just my personal opinion.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    05-25-14 12:18 AM
    My point is, some of BlackBerry's most important and consistent/long-term customers are in military, law-enforcement and governmental agencies whose activities involve surveillance of citizens. The US NSA is a direct licensee of their Elliptic Curve encryption technology, the Whitehouse staff all use BlackBerries, and the US DoD is one of their largest (probably the largest) institutional customers, among other things.

It has been my personal observation that BlackBerry, while consistently touting security, has been very very reticient to engage in overt campaigns to promote the usage of Blackberry technologies to circumvent "lawful government surveillance". I believe this is because they view such initiatives, if they were to engage in them, as a direct "thumb in the eye" to the kinds of governmental agencies who are large customers of theirs, and feel that it might jeopardize their business relationships with them.

BlackBerry is on-record as stating that there are no "back doors" in their products, but in these post-Snowden days I have come to be awfully cynical about those sorts of corporate announcements. We know for a fact that they have provided certain governments with ways to intercept certain types of BlackBerry customer traffic, after ensuring those government's requests were "lawful" and/or "proportionate". (I don't remember the exact statement wording)

So in a nutshell, in this field, it's awfully hard to take any assurances from companies in such a position 100% at face value.

Just my personal opinion.
    Couldn't agree more with some of your points. I believe in the day and age of USA government gag orders, it is next to impossible to tell if a company is being honest with customer or complicit with the various alphabet agencies that demand nearly omniscient powers.

That being said, if the open sourced iteration of OpenVPN is implemented into BB10, that would at least allow for independent audit or how traffic packets are being handled and whether or not anything has been intentionally weakened. Heck, even implementing PGP keys that one can trust can be a challenge considering RSA and DSA have been questioned before as to their security.

What would help with this? I'd love to see an open key handler than can encrypt using a variety of methods or even better, serial encryption (e.g. AES, Blowfish, Serpent). As to the reluctance as to why this avenue isn't being explored, I am unsure.

While it is entirely possible that BB does not want to bite a hand that feeds it big time, would it be reasonable to think that because of this relationship that they would force BB to ignore every other consumer wanting these features? Possible sure, but this is essentially ensuring that government agencies own BB and will steer future development. This will essentially kill their brand. Being a publicly traded company, BB does indeed have shareholders to answer to in addition to the demands of government.

Will we ever get a straight answer as to why some of these glaring security features are missing? Probably not. I imagine they will keep that to themselves. Is it right? Of course not.

Perhaps we will have to look to third party app developers to fill this void. I know there is a developer who has already put out a PGP app which seems to be picking up steam. Why not OpenVPN as well? If the level of trust isn't there in BB (and let's face it, how much can one trust any of the smartphone developers?), then maybe we have look from within the community to build a level of trust? Perhaps then, we can start to build meaningful security from the ground up?

Just my thoughts.
    05-25-14 10:35 AM
    How did you get Orbot to work? It gives me the same error it gave me on earlier os.

Tor works on 10.3-img_20140606_065012.png
    Tor works on 10.3-img_20140606_065159.png

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 09:53 PM
39 12