05-24-14 05:23 PM
57 123
    Backups should be able to work fine, interchangeably. BlackBerry needs to work on the fluidity of the process.
    Yes! And stop making the end user spend all their precious time on CB looking for answers.
    05-23-14 03:16 PM
    Yes, It takes a few hours to set mine up each time...I really try to do nondestructive Sachesi style updates...

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon
    I'm totally with you on Sachesi........

Till the next leak comes out.
    00stryder and Gearheadaddy like this.
    05-23-14 04:35 PM
    That's how it used to be, and that's how almost all backup systems work for stability reasons, why BB thinks an all in one restore option is all we need is beyond me. I agree, individual libraries and db's need to be able to be restored by themselves, things go wrong all the time. As the current methods go, if your contacts db corrupts, and you end up needing to do a wipe, you would have to start completely over. This is absurd.

My theory: since the only known root exploit for BB10 (since blocked) used the backup mechanism to gain privileges on the device, I think BlackBerry's stance is that they'd rather compromise functionality on this feature than compromise security. And I think this is part of why the backup files cannot be opened by anyone/anything other than Link or the device OS. (Or Darcy or xsacha's tools, which just call the native functions)

And if that's true, I understand their position, but it's still frustrating.

My old Palm devices were super convenient for backup, I have an app that makes a complete backup of *everything* on the device, which you can restore from the SD card like using "Ghost" on a PC and have a complete clone of your backed-up operating environment within a few minutes, even if the device memory was completely cleared beforehand.

The problem is, having all those aspects of the device open means basically, you can gain access to any content you want by poking through the backup file (or the device), and AFAIK there are no filesystem permissions at all. If there's any sort of critical data there, or copyright-protected content, it's all in the clear. App developers are probably not too keen on the idea that anyone with filesystem access can pirate their commercial content. And of course privilege escalation is way easier if there are no filesystem permissions... well if there are no permissions then there is no need for root privileges anyway. It's like Windows 95 - everyone's root.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-23-14 05:46 PM
    I must be the only one who never backs anything up lol. I just wipe whatever and move on.
    Same. Anything important is on the SD card
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-24-14 01:26 AM
    I must be the only one who never backs anything up lol. I just wipe whatever and move on.
    Me too. Except password keeper. Gotta have my passwords.
    05-24-14 01:36 AM
    BlackBerry Link has this thing called "custom restore". I just do that. I install everything but the phone runtime because it always causes the android runtime to crash

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 08:41 AM
    So how advisable it is to have OTA update when 10.3.1 launches? Would update from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 screw up anything?
    OTA should be okay, it is non destructive so you won't have to worry about restoring anything. Stay plugged in to a charger and leave the phone alone until it completely finishes restarting or it tells you to unplug.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon
    05-24-14 05:23 PM
57 123