05-24-14 06:23 PM
57 123
tools
    I must be the only one who never backs anything up lol. I just wipe whatever and move on.
    Smartest way to go. That's exactly what I do. Always. No old data for me man...Start fresh...be fresh.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-22-14 01:25 PM
    I agree that my spare devices, which I load leaks on with an autoloader, generally run better than my daily driver still carrying the load of crap I've been "restoring" onto it ever since 10.0.

I really wish they would make the backup/restore process fireproof. Frankly it would be nice to have a multi-device sync capability for settings, customizations, dictionaries (think Firefox). I know that their model has always been a "single device" per user, but... these days people like to have more than one, and why would a company not want to make it easier for users to buy and use more than one of their devices?

Posted via CB10
    I use the same BBID on my Z10/Playbook

05-22-14 01:29 PM
    I must be the only one who never backs anything up lol. I just wipe whatever and move on.
    No, you are not the only one. Many people do. For me, it just got to be too much. My phone has too much on it to spend the hours it takes to get everything back. Just don't have the time. If you don't have too much to rebuild, or you have the time, it's the best way to go. I have done it several times in the past. People who say they can do it in an hour simply are not using their phone the same as I am. Nothing wrong with that.
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-22-14 01:44 PM
    Nice to know Link has added the function of restoring with more choices. I didn't know that. I haven't used Link to do a restore in a while. Thanks for all who answered this thread. Great input!

00stryder likes this.
    05-22-14 01:46 PM
    Well. my 10.2.1.3175 backups worked flawlessly with the latest 10.3 hybrid.

Also, it seems that using Sachesi instead of BB Link is a safer way to restor from different OS versions.
    That scenario seemed to work for me too, but went down hill when I loaded the runtime from .442. Couldn't copy/paste between Android apps, certain Android apps didn't work anymore, and phone just started becoming generally erratic. I wiped and ran .296 autoloader, clean install no restore. Added .442 camera and .140 settings. Phone is super smooth now, got my Picture PW back and battery seems way better. Making a backup now...for the next 10.3 leak...just in case.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-22-14 03:13 PM
    I always do a backup immediately before loading a leak and then restore, never had a problem.
    05-22-14 03:20 PM
    Usually the problem is when you backup from higher OS and wants to have downgrade OS. previously you can use Darcy's tool to set the backup to your lower OS version e.g. backup made from 10.2.1.3175 for restore to 10.2.1.2758.

Haven't tried to test it from 10.3.to 10.2 though (I also hardly restore backup)
    05-22-14 03:20 PM
    I use the same BBID on my Z10/Playbook

Lol yeah, I have the same BBID on a PB, Z10 and Z30... and yet, it's pretty much useless aside from BlackBerry World purchases, and BBM (in a very clunky implementation).

No settings, notification preferences, accounts, learned dictionary, home screen photo, bookmarks, nothing is synced at all through BBID.

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-22-14 05:20 PM
    There are many. Fire Chest backup, Dropbox, Box, any other cloud based service that can be used to store information and downloaded to your phone after a new os is loaded on your phone.

Love ya bud, but none of them will backup word-sub or bookmarks. I've used my BlackBerry exclusively for so many years, there's no way in *the place Satan created Link* I'm not restoring. I've had a few hiccups along the way, but maintain enough backups to guaranty something will work.

Speaking of Link, being able to check through 3rd party apps, is not my expectations for selective restore.
    Ecm likes this.
    05-22-14 11:58 PM
    Love ya bud, but none of them will backup word-sub or bookmarks. I've used my BlackBerry exclusively for so many years, there's no way in *the place Satan created Link* I'm not restoring. I've had a few hiccups along the way, but maintain enough backups to guaranty something will work.

Speaking of Link, being able to check through 3rd party apps, is not my expectations for selective restore.
    I was answering the guy who needed a "contacts" backup. Nothing else.

05-23-14 01:19 AM
    Clearing all data out of a smartphone on every OS update is not even a remotely feasible option for many, many people.

Those of you who like to do that - that's fine, but trying to advise everyone else to do it that way is not necessarily helpful IMHO. (Yes it's correct it may cause a problem in some cases, no it's not feasible to completely give up on that option forever for many of us.)

I bought my daily driver Z10 the day it was released in the USA and had not done a "clean OS install" on it for over a year. I always do multiple backups before doing updates but many times I just do an "in place" update of the OS. Sometimes I do a restore.

The first time since I bought that device that I had to do a full wipe and reinstall without a restore was when I updated it to 10.2.1 recently. (And yes, I'm conservative about OS updates on it because I cannot afford data loss and downtime. That's what my test device is for. Probably one of the reasons I have good success with in-place and backup/restore OS updates is because I refuse to install beta or buggy OS leaks on it.)

That was weeks ago and despite the usage of several third-party backup apps to backup/restore data that I could not use Link to do (because Link would have restored the "bad stuff" that was causing me problems with 10.2.1), I have still not restored half the customizations and data that was on my device prior to that OS update.

One of the many examples of why BlackBerry has to seriously improve their backup/restore process. We have to use so many 3rd party apps to be able to keep our data safe because all Link does is bury it in a multi-GB monster, encrypted archive.

And of course they don't do the full job anyway, as I am acutely aware-of myself these days.

The new granular selections in Link (if you have a recent enough OS on the handheld) may come in mildly handy, but the MAIN stuff I want to have granular control over backups/restores are all the various OS settings, not app data which is far less of a problem.

That's one solution:
    Fire Chest Backup
    Which brings me to my other point, which is "buggy backup apps". Firechest/Backup Pro in particular - while excellent in many ways - has some bugs with its contacts backup/restore. I gave them all the details on it just like I gave another backup vendor similiar details, and while the other vendor has already patched their app, FireChest has not.

The only issue is browser book marks. Any solution to save on the SD card and restore etc. Could not find where bookmark entries are saved on the device.
    I went through the same search. Could not find an obvious place in the filesystem where it was stored, nor could I find any 3rd-party app to backup/restore native browser bookmarks, and according to at least one app developer I talked-to, the data's not in an obvious place, in fact it may not be documented at all where that is stored. It's certainly not in the user-accessible filesystem as far as I can tell. (Still need to do more testing on that)

You can apparently "share" native browser bookmarks to ie Remember one-by-one which would help somewhat - I didn't think of that at the time I needed it unfortunately. (Thanks toobs623)
    05-23-14 01:42 AM
    Omnitech, I agree with you, for those of us tech-savvy ones there are a bunch of not so tech-savvy people needing daily drivers that are having a lot of issues. I was just trying to give them a heads-up on being able to run new leaks without so many issues. My phone rings off the hook with people asking me why no one told them glitchy backups made after trouble started (that's why they are trying new leaks) and restored to the new os would be trouble. Just trying to help those with the tip.

00stryder likes this.
    05-23-14 02:16 AM
    Omnitech, I agree with you, for those of us tech-savvy ones there are a bunch of not so tech-savvy people needing daily drivers that are having a lot of issues. I was just trying to give them a heads-up on being able to run new leaks without so many issues. My phone rings off the hook with people asking me why no one told them glitchy backups made after trouble started (that's why they are trying new leaks) and restored to the new os would be trouble. Just trying to help those with the tip.

Yep, I agree it's more foolproof to not restore anything. It's just that a lot of people are not in that position.

Then again, it could be argued that anyone who is risk averse probably shouldn't be diddling around with leaks, either.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-23-14 02:57 AM
    Which brings me to my other point, which is "buggy backup apps". Firechest/Backup Pro in particular - while excellent in many ways - has some bugs with its contacts backup/restore. I gave them all the details on it just like I gave another backup vendor similiar details, and while the other vendor has already patched their app, FireChest has not.

Excellent news to report on that front. Apparently the developer took my bug report so seriously he pulled the app from BBW until he could fix it. But it looks like the fix is on the way:

i asked the dev on what happened, he said he took it off BBW cuz the last update had a bug with the contacts, and he fixed it and the new update will appear by Tuesday
    FireChestApps likes this.
    05-23-14 05:17 AM
    Wow, good job on getting a fix done for that app. Maybe BlackBerry can fix our "Contacts" issues that seem to occur upon fresh loading of an os. Linking issues and one I had where about 10 of my contacts had been issued a new title. One that belonged to only one. (it was a "Regional Statistician" from a particular organization that I have about 30 people on that list. Really weird)

05-23-14 05:40 AM
    So how advisable it is to have OTA update when 10.3.1 launches? Would update from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 screw up anything?
    05-23-14 06:15 AM
    ^^^ THIS, almost
    Anything (offline) personal is on my SD card and I found that most of my apps were able to retrieve history "OTA" with my profile.
    I only perform backups in case of disaster (and still reco to do so) but never had to restore any of them.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-23-14 06:21 AM
    I was answering the guy who needed a "contacts" backup. Nothing else.

Sorry, I took it as more of a general statement, in line with the theme of your thread.

I went through the same search. Could not find an obvious place in the filesystem where it was stored, nor could I find any 3rd-party app to backup/restore native browser bookmarks, and according to at least one app developer I talked-to, the data's not in an obvious place, in fact it may not be documented at all where that is stored. It's certainly not in the user-accessible filesystem as far as I can tell. (Still need to do more testing on that)
    It's in app data. One of the reasons Link is so frustrating. The personal data is smeared throughout the backup, so you can't give up doing a full restore, if you rely on multiple features that keep you loving BlackBerry in the first place.
    Ecm and 00stryder like this.
    05-23-14 07:34 AM
    It's in app data.

Of course, but I was thinking more like /accounts/1000/appdata/[something]

Unfortunately all the likely folders are locked-down. Otherwise I would just copy the flatfiles or db files myself.

Someday I guess I'll have to install the SDK and see about gaining privileged access to the filesystem so I can do things like that. Right now I feel like an infant in one of those strollers with the plastic steering wheel that doesn't actually steer anything.

Wow, good job on getting a fix done for that app. Maybe BlackBerry can fix our "Contacts" issues that seem to occur upon fresh loading of an os.

Unfortunately, BlackBerry seems about 1000 times less likely to give a useful response to bug reports than a good 3rd-party developer is...
    05-23-14 08:27 AM
    Of course, but I was thinking more like /accounts/1000/appdata/[something]

Unfortunately all the likely folders are locked-down. Otherwise I would just copy the flatfiles or db files myself.

Someday I guess I'll have to install the SDK and see about gaining privileged access to the filesystem so I can do things like that. Right now I feel like an infant in one of those strollers with the plastic steering wheel that doesn't actually steer anything.
    Let me know! Currently the API for word-sub and bookmarks is inaccessible, which is why there's no app for that.

Unfortunately, BlackBerry seems about 1000 times less likely to give a useful response to bug reports than a good 3rd-party developer is...
    Yep, the patient is struggling for survival, while the doctor is unresponsive.

Ok, it's really not that bad, but there are areas of huge frustration. Backup/restore is one of those, that I'd have expected at least on par with BBOS upon release, and yet a year later still lags far behind where we were when I started with my Pearl.
    05-23-14 08:46 AM
    I think BlackBerry need to take a leaf out of the likes of the Sony Companion where the backup companion allows you to restore each element of the backup. That might be Contacts, SMS, Calendar entries all in individual check lists.
    The issue for me is nearly always restoring from one branch to another if it's older like 10.3 to 10.2 because Settings is the big bug bearer as you cannot simply restore what you like and 9/10 times everything copies aside from the Contacts and even if you save the contacts to the SIM they copy back over with no information apart from the contacts name.

BlackBerry DO need to overhaul this element and I agree don't use it unless you have to but for me, I have no option but to Backup/Restore.
    I guess really as a lesson learned 10.3 isn't official yet but it may change come final release and you will indeed be able to do a seemless backup/restore.
    05-23-14 01:02 PM
    I think BlackBerry need to take a leaf out of the likes of the Sony Companion where the backup companion allows you to restore each element of the backup. That might be Contacts, SMS, Calendar entries all in individual check lists.
    The issue for me is nearly always restoring from one branch to another if it's older like 10.3 to 10.2 because Settings is the big bug bearer as you cannot simply restore what you like and 9/10 times everything copies aside from the Contacts and even if you save the contacts to the SIM they copy back over with no information apart from the contacts name.

BlackBerry DO need to overhaul this element and I agree don't use it unless you have to but for me, I have no option but to Backup/Restore.
    I guess really as a lesson learned 10.3 isn't official yet but it may change come final release and you will indeed be able to do a seemless backup/restore.
    That's how it used to be, and that's how almost all backup systems work for stability reasons, why BB thinks an all in one restore option is all we need is beyond me. I agree, individual libraries and db's need to be able to be restored by themselves, things go wrong all the time. As the current methods go, if your contacts db corrupts, and you end up needing to do a wipe, you would have to start completely over. This is absurd.
    05-23-14 03:06 PM
    Speak for yourself. I've restored successfully several times with no significant side effects. It's only gotten better too. I was thrilled to hear apks were able to be backed up now (clash!!!!!).

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 03:33 PM
    Don't restore older backups to newer os loads. Especially on new branches of an os. Use your backups wisely. If you revert to an older os, that's when you should restore.
    Example: Didn't like 10.3, went back to 10.2.1.2228...use your backup from 10.2.1.2228. Don't use it to save time setting up a newer branch. You're just asking for trouble. May not happen right away...but it might wreak havoc later...

Been loading every new leak when released. Always back up just before and always restored....no issues as of yet
    05-23-14 03:39 PM
    Sorry, I took it as more of a general statement, in line with the theme of your thread.

It's in app data. One of the reasons Link is so frustrating. The personal data is smeared throughout the backup, so you can't give up doing a full restore, if you rely on multiple features that keep you loving BlackBerry in the first place.
    Yes, It takes a few hours to set mine up each time...I really try to do nondestructive Sachesi style updates...

05-23-14 04:12 PM
57 123