05-24-14 06:23 PM
57 123
tools
    Don't restore older backups to newer os loads. Especially on new branches of an os. Use your backups wisely. If you revert to an older os, that's when you should restore.
    Example: Didn't like 10.3, went back to 10.2.1.2228...use your backup from 10.2.1.2228. Don't use it to save time setting up a newer branch. You're just asking for trouble. May not happen right away...but it might wreak havoc later...

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-22-14 04:39 AM
    Good advice. Not going that way has brought trouble enough for me already.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-22-14 06:01 AM
    I have over 100 Word Substitution entries, and counting. Restoring by hand is becoming too much of a burden.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    05-22-14 06:11 AM
    I went from 10.2.1.3175 to 10.3.0.296 with a full backup in order to preserve my clash of clans user data. No real issues to date. As a practice from way back I create and restore the backup while in airplane mode.

Posted with my Z30 running10.3.0.296 on AT&T
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-22-14 06:37 AM
    I have over 100 Word Substitution entries, and counting. Restoring by hand is becoming too much of a burden.

One of the many examples of why BlackBerry has to seriously improve their backup/restore process. We have to use so many 3rd party apps to be able to keep our data safe because all Link does is bury it in a multi-GB monster, encrypted archive.
    05-22-14 07:53 AM
    Some of us simply can't skip the backup/restore. I would like to be able to skip restoring data and know it's better.

However, I have a couple of apps that have no built-in backup ability, extensive word sub entries, bookmarks that I can't do without. If BlackBerry Protect was back to full legacy function and/or BB Link improved to give granular options for setting backup, I'd be far happier.
    05-22-14 08:12 AM
    i restored multiple times from 10.2.1 to next higher 10.2.1 and also on 10.3...never had any issue until now (keep fingers crossed ).

I might be the lucky one, but I guess it also has to do with what kind of stuff you restore (apps, settings, media...). I don't have that many apps or accounts in use to be restored, so that might be a reason for me...the more you have, the better the chance to get stuck at any point or screw things up.

Yes, it would be nice to have more restore options, e.g. select accounts or just dedicated apps and settings
    05-22-14 08:24 AM
    never had an issue here either (yet)
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-22-14 08:30 AM
    I typically avoid restoring backups, although I almost always create a backup before installing a new leaked OS.

I currently don't have/use any apps that would require the restore (i.e. it has a cloud restore feature and/or doesn't need it), but I have deliberately held off from starting to play Clash of Clans to avoid losing any progress I make.

For users that absolutely require a backup, my suggestion would be (after you make a fill backup, if you like) to delete as much data as you can off your device and make a "slimmer" backup containing just the essentials. That includes uninstalling apps that would automatically be reinstalled via the restore process (obviously avoid deleting apps with associated data you need to restore). That'll at least reduce the amount of space the backup requires, and at best lower the chance of the restore causing issues in the future.

Posted via CB10
    wolffkrieger and Gearheadaddy like this.
    05-22-14 08:32 AM
    One of the many examples of why BlackBerry has to seriously improve their backup/restore process. We have to use so many 3rd party apps to be able to keep our data safe because all Link does is bury it in a multi-GB monster, encrypted archive.

possible to know what else can be used for backup/restore i only know of link
    05-22-14 09:37 AM
    That's one solution:
    Fire Chest Backup

But the main problem is what BlackBerry gives devs access to. If we can't access the personalisations, we can't archive them.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    05-22-14 09:51 AM
    Don't restore older backups to newer os loads. Especially on new branches of an os. Use your backups wisely. If you revert to an older os, that's when you should restore.
    Example: Didn't like 10.3, went back to 10.2.1.2228...use your backup from 10.2.1.2228. Don't use it to save time setting up a newer branch. You're just asking for trouble. May not happen right away...but it might wreak havoc later...

I installed 10.3 and went with a clean set up, based on general commentary in the forums to avoid risk etc. The only issue is browser book marks. Any solution to save on the SD card and restore etc. Could not find where bookmark entries are saved on the device.

Thanks

STL100-3 | Rogers | 10.3.0.296/442
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    05-22-14 10:20 AM
    I agree that my spare devices, which I load leaks on with an autoloader, generally run better than my daily driver still carrying the load of crap I've been "restoring" onto it ever since 10.0.

I really wish they would make the backup/restore process fireproof. Frankly it would be nice to have a multi-device sync capability for settings, customizations, dictionaries (think Firefox). I know that their model has always been a "single device" per user, but... these days people like to have more than one, and why would a company not want to make it easier for users to buy and use more than one of their devices?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 10:31 AM

100 WOW, I have less than 10 and I think its a hassle
    05-22-14 10:32 AM
    If BlackBerry Protect was back to full legacy function and/or BB Link improved to give granular options for setting backup, I'd be far happier.
    This would be extremely helpful. I'm now using Outlook.com for email, contacts, and calendar. I don't need those things to be backed up and restored by Link, but Word Substitution is another story. It would even help if the OS offered a way to backup/restore Word Sub entries to a file, the way some other apps do, bypassing Link altogether. If security is an issue, the file could be encrypted.
    05-22-14 10:32 AM
    100 WOW, I have less than 10 and I think its a hassle
    I'm slowly rebuilding the lexicon I had on my 9900, which had more than 500 entries. I have shortcuts for the most common English words, enabling me to save lots of keystrokes on just about everything I write. It's really a form of personal shorthand. Once I got used to it, I found it to be one of the most powerful BlackBerry features, and it's my main reason for wanting a physical keyboard. It doesn't work as well on a touchscreen keyboard, because it requires accuracy typing the abbreviations.
    southlander likes this.
    05-22-14 10:36 AM
    Backups should be able to work fine, interchangeably. BlackBerry needs to work on the fluidity of the process.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-22-14 10:48 AM
    I have always done full restores. Going from 10.2.1.xxxx to 10.3.0.xxxx did not give me any general problems, but it was painfully slow. I am sure this is a product of all the changes with the 10.3 OS and how data is handled/stored. Also, the latest rendition of BB Link is addressing many of our backup/restore issues giving many more options particularly on specific app data under the custom configurations. Glad they are listening and hope to see Link continue to evolve.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-22-14 10:52 AM
    Building from scratch has become too time consuming for me, because of some of the reasons already mentioned, and more. Word Sub entries, Bookmarks, WiFi SID's and passwords, Bluetooth pairings, I have a TON of stuff in order to get the handset back to "normal". Then there is the fact that the learning that was done on our virtual keyboard devices is lost, and no way to get it back without a restore. The learning starts again from scratch.

I have seen the odd glitches that occur from a restore. However, I have not encountered any obvious adverse effects from my non-destructive type installs. So, for now, I wait for builds that show on Sachesi for non destructive installs, or else I am inclined to sit out a leak.
    Graheem and Gearheadaddy like this.
    05-22-14 11:01 AM
    Some of us simply can't skip the backup/restore. I would like to be able to skip restoring data and know it's better.

However, I have a couple of apps that have no built-in backup ability, extensive word sub entries, bookmarks that I can't do without. If BlackBerry Protect was back to full legacy function and/or BB Link improved to give granular options for setting backup, I'd be far happier.
    Actually the latest BB Link does provide more granular options of backing up and restoring
    So it's definitely getting there...
    05-22-14 12:12 PM
    Actually the latest BB Link does provide more granular options of backing up and restoring
    So it's definitely getting there...
    Yup, I'm aware that the last two versions of Link allows the backup/restore of particular apps, and it's a step in the right direction. But I'm still going to be cranky until we have the same breakout for the settings!
    05-22-14 12:21 PM
    I must be the only one who never backs anything up lol. I just wipe whatever and move on.
    Superfly_FR and jerryeight like this.
    05-22-14 12:32 PM
    Well. my 10.2.1.3175 backups worked flawlessly with the latest 10.3 hybrid.

Also, it seems that using Sachesi instead of BB Link is a safer way to restor from different OS versions.
    05-22-14 12:34 PM
    Yes, I agree we do need a better restore program. It would be nice to have an app-selected restore like on the legacy devices of yesteryear...

05-22-14 01:17 PM
    There are many. Fire Chest backup, Dropbox, Box, any other cloud based service that can be used to store information and downloaded to your phone after a new os is loaded on your phone.

05-22-14 01:24 PM
57 123