Like the android runtime (4.2.2) but from iOS?
    Does this mean we are going to get thousands and amazing apps all in ONE Device??? I need to know this for sure >>>>>

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:22 PM
    There is nothing at this moment to suggest that

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:23 PM
    Double

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:24 PM
    That's weird I read that to somewhere, I also really would like to know. I know there is an easy way to port an iOS app but would like to know if it's easy enough to sideload it. iOS app player would be huge. But knowing Apple's track record for sueing companies for stupid reasons, I could definitely see them sueing Blackberry.

Subbed to this thread

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:26 PM
    The whole thing seems shady. I wouldn't count on it, except possibly for certain type of games.
    07-31-13 01:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think the OP is referring to this? Would you want to see iOS apps on BlackBerry 10? | CrackBerry.com
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    07-31-13 01:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes... and this.

Alec Saunders Confirms iOS App Player for BlackBerry 10 appeared to work — NerdBerry

Posted yesterday @ Nerdberry.net
    anon(5818411) and michaelst like this.
    07-31-13 01:32 PM
    I doubt it. Apple would have to allow Blackberry to do this and I do not think that will happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:33 PM
    So no confirmation whether it will come or not? I just would like to hear a NO or a YES with an 100% sureness

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 01:38 PM
    So no confirmation whether it will come or not? I just would like to hear a NO or a YES with an 100% sureness
    No one can give you that answer. There are too many variables right now and still to many questions to be answered. Not only technical but legal.
    07-31-13 01:40 PM
    Well, iOS isn't an 'open' platform like Android is, so their are certain metrics that would definitely come into play. The major hurdle being that in order for BB to actually offer this and provide the framework themeselves, they would need to license iOS from Apple. I don't believe Apple has any licensing agreements currently in place, so this would potentially be the first. Can't see it happening.
    07-31-13 01:52 PM
    OP's talking about Brine.
    07-31-13 02:26 PM
    im going to say NO it wont happen. But of course, like things that BB says, you cant take them as true all the time lol
    1magine likes this.
    07-31-13 02:35 PM
    maybe he is however the brine project was long ago either swooped up by apple or was a fraud. However the article that was posted about is definitely an awesome idea if it is the start of new developer tools for ios apps to be ported over in a nice easy manner, compared to existing ways.
    07-31-13 02:45 PM
    no there will not be a iOS player. QNX runs with objective-C based code, which incidentally iOS runs as well. Colour me blind. Guess it's not that hard to change a few lines of code. check out developer.blackberry.com for the info on how devs can convert iOS apps.

EDIT: TO CLARIFY

QNX actually runs with C++ code. Objective-C is a bit different, however, that does not change the fact there is no iOS player. And that BlackBerry actually has a way for developers to easily convert their apps.
    Last edited by Kris Simundson; 07-31-13 at 02:57 PM.
    potatoguy likes this.
    07-31-13 02:47 PM
    I'm not sure what an iOS player would bring to the table anyway. Most apps that are available on iOS are also available on Android. Seems like an awful lot of work for lot enough gain. Just my personal opinion of course.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.810
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-31-13 09:09 PM
    impossible is nothing..

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 10:42 PM
    QNX actually runs with C++ code. Objective-C is a bit different, however, that does not change the fact there is no iOS player. And that BlackBerry actually has a way for developers to easily convert their apps.
    The language is just a small part of the issue. And in fact, QNX itself is not really an issue at all. Very little code in a typical app will use QNX APIs, just as you don't use Mach APIs in writing iPhone apps (not directly at least)

The issue is spending time rewriting the app to use all of the Qt and Cascades APIs that are quite different from Cocoa Touch. What Blackberry gives us is some examples of C++/Qt code that correspond to some common ObjC/CocoaTouch code. These are just some examples to get a developer started on the platform. That doesn't make it "easy" to rewrite an iOS app to be a Cascades app. It's just some basic pointers in the right direction.

As always, we're talking about general apps here, not OpenGL and Cocos games, which are build totally differently. Those are relatively "easy" to port. A lot of these games even have a lot of C++ in them already, even on iOS. And more importantly, they use OpenGL APIs that are almost identical to the ones on BB10.
    07-31-13 11:02 PM
    impossible is nothing..

Posted via CB10
    LOLOLOL Your Display Picture tho!! (it's funny because I have one)

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:06 PM
    I'm not sure what an iOS player would bring to the table anyway. Most apps that are available on iOS are also available on Android. Seems like an awful lot of work for lot enough gain. Just my personal opinion of course.
    I totally agree with this. Also I would add that Android apps are much more likely to deal properly with the resolutions of the BB10 phones. Most real-world iOS code I've seen really is dependent on the two typical iPhone and iPad screen sizes.
    07-31-13 11:08 PM
    The language is just a small part of the issue. And in fact, QNX itself is not really an issue at all. Very little code in a typical app will use QNX APIs, just as you don't use Mach APIs in writing iPhone apps (not directly at least)

The issue is spending time rewriting the app to use all of the Qt and Cascades APIs that are quite different from Cocoa Touch. What Blackberry gives us is some examples of C++/Qt code that correspond to some common ObjC/CocoaTouch code. These are just some examples to get a developer started on the platform. That doesn't make it "easy" to rewrite an iOS app to be a Cascades app. It's just some basic pointers in the right direction.

As always, we're talking about general apps here, not OpenGL and Cocos games, which are build totally differently. Those are relatively "easy" to port. A lot of these games even have a lot of C++ in them already, even on iOS. And more importantly, they use OpenGL APIs that are almost identical to the ones on BB10.
    Agreed, but this all came into question when rebee hit the app store, and considering it still uses the same UI, it's confusing people to think there is a iOS player

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 01:02 AM
    Apple would never license or allow this, case closed.

Fired from my Z10
    08-01-13 01:12 AM