03-27-14 01:22 PM
73 123
tools
    So ... be it
    I believe we'll see leaks again when major changes will be made. We're now in a "consolidation" period so that versions are public very quickly and don't really deserve efforts & risks taken by the leakers ...
    I don't. We're in the John Chen era of BlackBerry and I expect leaks will be a thing of the past under his rule.

And I think that's a good thing.

BlackBerry needs to tear a page from Google and Apple's "PlayBook" (Ha!) when it comes to the market. Whether it's the iWatch, Google Glass or the Google Barge, etc... BlackBerry needs to understand how to manage expectations, and play up scarcity and expectation.

I welcome a more closed, and secretive BlackBerry that keeps its cards close to its chest. Better that they work on the next major update privately and only announce it within weeks of release. Why release new initiatives to the media far in advance only to give their competitors time to downplay expectations or match them?
    Omnitech and mariosraptor like this.
    03-21-14 11:25 PM
    I don't. We're in the John Chen era of BlackBerry and I expect leaks will be a thing of the past under his rule.

And I think that's a good thing.
    This was exactly what I was thinking. Rampant leaks and confusions never really made BBRY a solid and decent brand.
    But now leaks madness has practically stopped. Updates are gradually pushed out via carriers in a more timely and uniform manner.
    No crazy dancing around like insane manner of release of cross-platform BBM, and list goes on....

Somebody must be pulling strings behind the scene for more disciplined (or, shall I say normal ? :-) approaches, like a respectable business.
    03-22-14 12:14 AM
    This was exactly what I was thinking. Rampant leaks and confusions never really made BBRY a solid and decent brand.
    But now leaks madness has practically stopped. Updates are gradually pushed out via carriers in a more timely and uniform manner.
    No crazy dancing around like insane manner of release of cross-platform BBM, and list goes on....

Somebody must be pulling strings behind the scene for more disciplined (or, shall I say normal ? :-) approaches, like a respectable business.
    It's Chen, pretty sure.

And as much as I loved the leaks in the past, I think the OS has matured enough that it's time to stop them. Put a lid on future developments so that their competitors can't trump them. iOS and Android users seem okay with waiting a year for major updates after all and it doesn't seem to have affected their sales so it can't hurt BlackBerry. =)
    mithrazor likes this.
    03-22-14 12:38 AM
    It's Chen, pretty sure.
    Or you know, all the leakers got fired or laid off through a 'bounty hunt'. You give Chen far too much credit if you think OS leaks are even on his radar. 'Hold on Obama, I gotta get our legal counsel Steve Zipperstein on the line so he can file this DMCA complaint to MEGA.. Silly OS leakers, gotta squash em'.
    03-22-14 03:53 AM
    Actually in long term leaks are good for health of a company.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 04:52 AM
    I understand and agree with you all. A blackberry with tighter controls around its business is a good thing.

But I would love to mess around with a fully GUI refreshed 10.3 and may it be the last leak. After that I dont mind getting updates the same as the rest of the world.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-22-14 05:01 AM
    I understand and agree with you all. A blackberry with tighter controls around its business is a good thing.

But I would love to mess around with a fully GUI refreshed 10.3 and may it be the last leak. After that I dont mind getting updates the same as the rest of the world.

I agree. Having leaks is fun, but I think it was hurting the company a bit. But as a developer i loved them, because I could use new features
    03-22-14 06:00 AM
    I agree. Having leaks is fun, but I think it was hurting the company a bit. But as a developer i loved them, because I could use new features
    I would personally prefer Apple's (or any other decent platforms) approach, wherein they release betas etc to developers under NDA I believe consumers can download them if they register as developers (under NDA too, I suppose). But somebody always leak what's being updated, so consumers know what's coming and even when it's coming (approximately).. They just cannot download and actually use it until official release.
    In the case of BBRY/BB10, leaks have been so frequent with almost none of official release, giving an impression that consumers are used as guinea pigs. Some kind of controlled and occasional leaks of major updates might be tolerable though :-) This uncontrolled chaos only benefited those who love to tinker, but non-geeks must probably have felt left behind.
    03-22-14 09:51 AM
    The last "development" leak (one that did not eventually become official on another carrier) I ever used was 10.2.1.1055. Seems like so long ago!

Although I will say that my tinkering with that OS kept 6 of my friends from moving to other platforms, because I was able to show them what was coming. Direct apk installs was enough to hold them off.

I really miss those days. For me personally, playing with leaks is half the fun of any platform.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 10:20 AM
    Or you know, all the leakers got fired or laid off through a 'bounty hunt'. You give Chen far too much credit if you think OS leaks are even on his radar. 'Hold on Obama, I gotta get our legal counsel Steve Zipperstein on the line so he can file this DMCA complaint to MEGA.. Silly OS leakers, gotta squash em'.
    Could be, I'm just guessing obviously. =) I dunno, you don't see much in the way of leaks from Apple or Google. I understand it's been a long tradition and don't get me wrong, I had 10.2 and 10.2.1 on my phone long before the release. But I could see that being something that Chen wanted to clamp down on and put out the word that the leaks are a problem. BlackBerry is known for security after all.

Anyway, I'll be installing a stable 10.3 or whatever if it leaks, heh.
    03-22-14 11:16 AM
    Could be, I'm just guessing obviously. =) I dunno, you don't see much in the way of leaks from Apple or Google. I understand it's been a long tradition and don't get me wrong, I had 10.2 and 10.2.1 on my phone long before the release. But I could see that being something that Chen wanted to clamp down on and put out the word that the leaks are a problem. BlackBerry is known for security after all.

Anyway, I'll be installing a stable 10.3 or whatever if it leaks, heh.
    Apple leaks are understandable but if you're not seeing leaks from Google, then you're not looking. That's a bit of an odd statement anyway, Google doesn't really do anything but hand off an OS to OEM's which is mostly public anyway. The only time you even really hear from 'Google' is at their I/O conference, the rest is OEM's.
    03-22-14 03:37 PM
    I don't see how all the leaks hurt anything.

No one outside of this, and maybe a couple other forums even knew such leaks even existed.

The general perception of BlackBerry has plenty of issues to overcome, but the fact that we see occasional leaks is not one of them.

It's never been one of the things that negative articles mention. And, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but when my co-workers rib me on my Z10, they say: "Dude, no one uses a BlackBerry anymore". Not once have they said: "Dude, that OS gets leaked a lot"

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-14 05:16 PM
    Apple leaks are understandable but if you're not seeing leaks from Google, then you're not looking. That's a bit of an odd statement anyway, Google doesn't really do anything but hand off an OS to OEM's which is mostly public anyway. The only time you even really hear from 'Google' is at their I/O conference, the rest is OEM's.

I guess I'm thinking of a leak differently (or incorrectly). I see all kinds of mods at xda for various Android releases but they only appear after Google officially releases, no? There was an early release for my Sony Xperia Sp but iirc it was only weeks before Sony's official release, nowhere near as BlackBerry leaks usually appear. But I don't really stay on top of Android that much admittedly. Once I got KatKiss KitKat on my Transformer I stopped really caring. But I was thinking that Google official Android releases don't leak early, not so much individual oems like Sony, Samsung, etc

Anyway time will tell on BlackBerry leaks I guess. I assume they're hard at work on 10.3 or whatever right now. If it doesn't leak or only appears late in the development stage then my money is on Chen telling his minions to plug 'em.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gnomesane; 03-22-14 at 06:49 PM.
    03-22-14 05:56 PM
    I don't see how all the leaks hurt anything.

No one outside of this, and maybe a couple other forums even knew such leaks even existed.

The general perception of BlackBerry has plenty of issues to overcome, but the fact that we see occasional leaks is not one of them.

It's never been one of the things that negative articles mention. And, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but when my co-workers rib me on my Z10, they say: "Dude, no one uses a BlackBerry anymore". Not once have they said: "Dude, that OS gets leaked a lot"

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it matters from a consumer point of view at all. More from a competitors point of view potentially. Also as I said, BlackBerry sells itself on security so I can totally imagine Chen not liking the optics of that. I could be full of sh1t, I'm guessing but that's what I was thinking on the slowdown in leaks.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:00 PM

You put it much better and more concisely than I did. Thanks, and as much as I like the leaks I think it's better for the company.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 06:02 PM
    The sad truth is that I purchased my Z10 a year ago as a hardcore BlackBerry fan and it was a lot of truble for me for the first 4 months, until the Link software was fixed. I remember the endless hours of trying to USB sync, my messed up contacts folder, my dependence of inaccessible apps, etc.

Without access to the leaks I probably would have joined the crowd, who returned their device a long time ago. I believe with OS 10.2.1 BlackBerry finally delivered what it initially promised. ATT has not released a major software update since last summer... With the leaks at least I have at least the same OS as a T- Mobile user today. Had they released the device with this OS, it would have been a much bigger success.

The average user will never look for or find leaks. This is a community, that loves their device and the potential of this OS and folks are ready for the troubles when they fueld test a new feature. This is like a group of free beta testers for the developer. I believe, the feedback from this forum is very valuable for the developers. There is no way to test an OS under every condition. Why would they stop the leaks?

They have much more important things to do...

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 08:19 AM
    Good point and I agree that 10.2.1 is what BlackBerry should have delivered from the beginning. The leaks definitely helped people having issues with the new OS and probably kept some with issues from switching in frustration. But now that BlackBerry has had over a year with the OS in users hands most of the big problems have largely disappeared and BB10 is much more stable.

I think they're in a position now with the software that they don't need the leaks to retain users. Of course there's bound to be some glitches but nothing major I'd guess. Even Google recently had issues with KitKat on the Nexus and the camera / heating / battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 11:13 AM
    Guys. All said and done, we have all enjoyed leaks. We flaunted them, we played with them, we studied them, we commented and opined on them and I am sure CB and such other forums would have helped BlackBerry definitely understand more what a consumer wants. This helps improve the product.

We generally look for customer feedback after launching nd selling a product.

Here you have customer feedback before the product is launched, hence helping improve the final product.

And mind you its all free for BlackBerry.

You will all agree that there is some fantastic talent around in these forums. Giving their inputs and innovations for free.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2234
    03-23-14 11:32 AM
    Guys. All said and done, we have all enjoyed leaks. We flaunted them, we played with them, we studied them, we commented and opined on them and I am sure CB and such other forums would have helped BlackBerry definitely understand more what a consumer wants. This helps improve the product.

We generally look for customer feedback after launching nd selling a product.

Here you have customer feedback before the product is launched, hence helping improve the final product.

And mind you its all free for BlackBerry.

You will all agree that there is some fantastic talent around in these forums. Giving their inputs and innovations for free.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2234
    The users on this forum are fantastic for helping people out with issues. Well, perhaps BlackBerry should go the BBM testing route and issue a controlled public Beta to select users as 10.3 (or whatever) approaches release?
    03-23-14 11:43 AM
    I still think it has to do with plastering leaks on crackberrys home page. Leaks used to sit in the deep forums for those who took the time to look. I know CB needs the page hits, but they're biting the hand that feeds when doing stuff like that.

Edit: just my opinion though. Nothing at CB

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-23-14 03:17 PM
    The sad truth is that I purchased my Z10 a year ago as a hardcore BlackBerry fan and it was a lot of truble for me for the first 4 months, until the Link software was fixed. I remember the endless hours of trying to USB sync, my messed up contacts folder, my dependence of inaccessible apps, etc.

Without access to the leaks I probably would have joined the crowd, who returned their device a long time ago. I believe with OS 10.2.1 BlackBerry finally delivered what it initially promised. ATT has not released a major software update since last summer... With the leaks at least I have at least the same OS as a T- Mobile user today. Had they released the device with this OS, it would have been a much bigger success.

The average user will never look for or find leaks. This is a community, that loves their device and the potential of this OS and folks are ready for the troubles when they fueld test a new feature. This is like a group of free beta testers for the developer. I believe, the feedback from this forum is very valuable for the developers. There is no way to test an OS under every condition. Why would they stop the leaks?

They have much more important things to do...

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. Only reason I got into leaks was I got a Q10 and was disappointed in all it lacked w/ 10.0. But I needed a BlackBerry so was determined to either figure it out or wait it out. Fortunately w/ leaks it was a "figure out" rather than a "wait out".

However I am still hesitant to recommend BlackBerry to an average phone user b/c
    1)they won't be interested in leaks etc b/c
    2) they just want their phone to do what they need it to do out if the box.

Fortunately verizon has pushed 10.2.1.2122 so I would now recommend to new users w/ Verizon. But since AT&T sucks, can't really feel good about convincing a new user to give BlackBerry a fair try

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    03-23-14 07:45 PM
    Preventing the enthusiast community from getting leaks effects not a single non enthusiast and can only anger enthusiasts . The icing on the cake is blindly firing leakers who may be among the company's best assets.

Way to go blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 07:57 PM
    Well, now that 10.3 has leaked, looks like we have our answer... I was way off, lol...

Posted via CB10
    vgorous likes this.
    03-24-14 01:21 AM

Well whatdayaknow!
    03-24-14 07:44 AM
    Thread fail

Posted via CB10
    sickyute and higherdestiny like this.
    03-24-14 10:15 AM
73 123