12-10-13 05:58 AM
136 ... 3456
tools
    Is there a part of you that understands or acknowledges the fact that the OP's need to jump through these hoops is in itself an indictment of the whole platform? The 'leaks team'? Is there another OS that engenders the need for a 'leaks team'? Notice I said 'need'.

What I got out of your post is what I often see around here. It's this

'You're having problems? Why don't you do things another way? Why don't you do things the way I do them and then you won't have those problems'.

The classic example of this was the guy who responded to someone who calmly pointed out that his banking app was indispensible and he couldn't use BB10 because the app wasn't offered. The fanboy response?

'You're a troll. Why don't you just switch banks??'.
    Actually ios needs to be jail broken to work decently and android has custom roms to work decently as well. Those are provided by leak teams that actually modify the os to work better. What the leaks teams do here are offer works in progress for those who like to try the latest and greatest and who also like to try to break their phones with hybrids and to see how this new os is put together.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-22-13 11:56 PM
    I have had this similar problem on my Z10 as well. It typically occurs with SMS/MMS messages that get very lengthy in the conversation. I attempted to delete some conversations that I found were not needed, then discovered they would not delete and would cause the problem to propagate to any text messages I would try and send. I eventually tracked the issue doe to some original BBOS messages from several versions back that I have always restored my data from each phone. loved this about BB. Theses messages were special in that they were marked as saved messages. I have not found where you can manipulate these messages within BB10. I decided to do a clean load and not restore any data. I used a couple of different apps to save and restore certain things like my contacts for the most part. Since then I have only seen the issue creep up with one SMS/MMS thread that has over a month of data and pictures and such in them. I simply delete the long conversation and all works fine again. I have looked for ways to limit how long the SMS/MMS messages are kept but have not found that setting in BB10 yet.
    10-23-13 01:27 PM
    The good news is now that BBM is kw available on android and ios, we can get rid of text messaging altogether

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 and LP_Rigg like this.
    10-23-13 06:36 PM
    I've been having this problem since 10.1 as well. It has gotten worse in 10.2.
    I used to be able to restart the phone and fix the problem, however since 10.2 that no longer works.
    I have a case open with BB technical support. I will update this thread as progress is made with them.
    10-25-13 08:30 AM
    I have been having this issue since 10.1, tried updating to a 10.2 leak and still gave me the issue. Now I have the official 10.2 update and it continues to happen.

I do not see why I should have to delete my sms/mms history when with my previous BlackBerry devices (9000, 9700, 9900) I never deleted any of my chat histories (thousands of messages) and had no such issue.

I did not bring my previous chat history onto my Z10, I started from scratch. I did not have this issue in earlier versions 10.0 for instance, and this lock up becomes quite troublesome when I need to get a hold of someone.

**Edit**
    Also little to no delay on BBM messages with the same or longer chat history involving messages and picture exchange. It's only effecting my sms/mms. These are lengthy messages, but not always.

Rogers
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by svjones; 10-25-13 at 11:27 AM.
    10-25-13 11:10 AM
    So update on my frustration with this bug.
    My text messaging has been frozen for 12 hours and finally got it unlocked to send one quick text saying I can text again, boom back to it being frozen out.

Tried rebooting, tried the 5 swipes in hub, tried going to a different contact (but can't). Good thing BBM has gone cross platform or else I'd be screwed.

I don't understand that if my device has finally loaded the texts, WHY does it need to RELOAD them again once it already has. It finally unfroze to just freeze again within the same message... why?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:58 AM
    Actually ios needs to be jail broken to work decently and android has custom roms to work decently as well. Those are provided by leak teams that actually modify the os to work better. What the leaks teams do here are offer works in progress for those who like to try the latest and greatest and who also like to try to break their phones with hybrids and to see how this new os is put together.

Posted via CB10
    Work decently? iOS does just fine on its own, androids are a whole different realm. I rather I have my Mobile Substrate not crashing every few days.

What he was trying to say was, BB10 should be targeted towards the casual user, who doesn't need to depend on such hoops and turns to get a decent working.... sms app? like how does that even comply to diehard BlackBerry fans. Messaging should never be a problem.

Luckily BBM is out but it lags like hell in terms of delivering the message.
    10-28-13 10:20 AM
    Have you deleted old texts yet? Do it. It helps...

Trusted Member Genius
    10-28-13 01:03 PM
    Been dealing with and posting about this issue since I first got my T-Mobile Q10. Happens on all software versions I've tested (including official), happens with or without backups. Text history length certainly seems to be a part of it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but iOS may have this bit sorted better than us- I'd be happy with a 'click to load more' history at the top of each text thread, that keeps the visible chat manageable (since that seems to be the problem). As stated here, only 'solution' seems to be constantly deleting text history... hoping it gets resolved, but still having it occur in 10.2.0.1791.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:37 PM
    I was having this problem as well. My Q10 would take a 6 second pause before allowing me to type my message. My wife's Z10 had it worse, a 20 second lag before she could send a text. If you go back through your SMS history, just go to the date when you first set up the phone and moved all your data from your previous mobile. There might be a bunch of unsorted texts that you should delete. I erased about 500 messages from my phone from that single date alone and the lag pretty much disappeared after that. You might find more messages there depending on how much you text. Good luck!
    10-29-13 09:55 AM
    Everyone's solution is to delete or erase previous texts and really, that's not solving the issue, just a quick fix some people are okay with. I am not okay with it.

I have, however, resently found something that is suitable fix for me for now until this gets fixed.

When I have a prolonged wait til while my text message get lagged out, I simply go into Settings > App Manager > Device Monitor > Long Hold on Text Messages and 'Stop'. It had to load the texts again but it seems to be seconds apposed to minutes-hours.

Still would like a fix for this... or, like previous ideas of having a "load previous texts" button at the top.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:22 AM
    My final verdict update to this mess,

I wish I could give you an answer, but I got nothing but frustration and not sure how to handle from here.

From starting over via security wipes and punching everything back in manually, assuring 0 duplicates, with and without sync, stock OS/leaked OS, and even reverting back to pre 10.1. The problem presists. My text issue seems to always come back at random, this has nothing to do with length of the conversation, or "older" BBOS files, which seems to work for some. Going into the settings and force stopping the app is not a solution, nor one anybody should have to deal with.

At this point I am afraid to mess with the phone anymore, at one point the phone stopped receiving text messages as a whole(and only texts ironically), you could send them, but never receive any until you went back and reloaded the whole OS again. Great! another issue relating back to texting... Side note, I really wish I could get into say a diagnostic mode and do a low level 0 wipe on the internal memory of this phone just ensure the phone is starting as "fresh" as it can.

A quick re-cap:
    -Originally thought the text app is/was having issues associating the conversation with the selected contact... In this/my case, for some reason my contacts would duplicate every time you would enable sync via contacts on gmail. The majority being full clones of the contact and contact information, and sometimes creating a duplicate to only a single piece of information within the duplicate contact. Example, one friend's duplicate contained nothing more than their BBM pin and the rest of their info was retained on the main/proper contact.
    ---This would also help support why some people are having this issue and not others, proved to be nothing for me.

- After the first security wipe running the stock official 10.1 release I went ahead and set everything back up as normal, but with no contact sync turned on, and only populated one account. Manually Entered a small amount of contacts, and started texting as normal. Hung/froze on the same day with only 4 messages within a text conversation. 5 min later the conversation populated and I could respond as normal.

-Security Wiped again, reloaded 10.2 leak and ran same troubleshooting process as above. This go around lasted a few days and started to lag/slow down as text conversations populated in length(still not enough to cause such a bug). However on day 3 the phone decided it was going to stop receiving texts as a whole. It took a call from a friend ask wth I am ignoring him.

-Wiped /reloaded 10.2-again, phone behaved ok for the most part, however the lag and hang was still there on pretty short conversations.

From here I feel this has got to be an OS deal, something within the OS's texting process that is not executing the full command. At which point, I wish there was an app like "memtest86" to test the phones ram integrity for errors(it would only take a single bit to return an ill-proper variable to cause hang/bugs). Or possibly something not responding correctly within the storage controller to that particular area of the NAND flash itself - Something maybe "stuck" within the MLC NAND?

Felt pretty safe to say at this point that duplicates do not seem to make any difference.

--Security wiped again, reloaded all accounts with sync on via my gmail contacts. Running for a few days again now, and still get that issue at random :\ This is where I stand today with it, clueless and frustration - Maybe this is just a feature?

If I get anywhere on this I will be sure to update. I want to thank everyone that has been helpful and throwing out their suggestions aimed at troubleshooting this issue.
    10-29-13 03:22 PM
    Hi, I just got my BlackBerry Q10 today, its been 6 hours since iv unboxed it and installed the new 10.2 updates that it asked. im on Vodafone UK and I am getting the exact same text message issue, where NEW text messages received do not show up for a short period of time. The only thing iv done, is unticked SMS from the hub, so turned that off, and If i leave the conversation open the new text usually loads up. it is some kind of lag / bug. This is the best Iv come up with in the 6 hours. Good luck.

Edit: Not using a leaked version. Just updated OTA which, I know is silly, but I was excited! Its worked for the most part since iv done that. But still randomly lags and is being a temperamental young lady!
    10-29-13 04:41 PM
    currently going back to 10.1 because of this problem and a bunch of other tiny bugs. 10.2 isn't as "amazing" as i thought. I think the coolest thing was the new weather app ui. haha
    10-29-13 07:37 PM
    currently going back to 10.1 because of this problem and a bunch of other tiny bugs. 10.2 isn't as "amazing" as i thought. I think the coolest thing was the new weather app ui. haha
    I can't imagine going back to 10.1 after being on 10.2 for months.

Maybe I'm just lucky not to suffer from the issues you have.

Constantly amazed at the different results people have on this phone.

I shouldn't be, however, as when I walk around my office and hear the employees grumbling about problems on their PC's and then I delve into their system and discover their issues and I just SMH.

"Ignorance is temporary, stupidity is forever"

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:28 PM
    Work decently? iOS does just fine on its own, androids are a whole different realm. I rather I have my Mobile Substrate not crashing every few days.

What he was trying to say was, BB10 should be targeted towards the casual user, who doesn't need to depend on such hoops and turns to get a decent working.... sms app? like how does that even comply to diehard BlackBerry fans. Messaging should never be a problem.

Luckily BBM is out but it lags like hell in terms of delivering the message.
    Ios is a pain in the **** to use I use an ipad regularly helping others trying to use it. Nothing is intuative with ios. I've never had a problem with sms and I've been on most of the bb10 os's official and leaked and never have had that problem. I've never had to jump through hoops on any bb10 os to get it to work. With my friends iPhone yes my aunts android yes I have had to jump through hoops to get certain things to work

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 10:56 PM
    Ok. I'm having similar problem... sadly, the lengthy message seems to get stuck, and I can't delete that message, its leech on to my message inbox.. and worst still, the moment I select that message, it brings me to compose a new message..

Z10 & PadFone 2
    Try starting with a fresh install and do a security wipe

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:03 PM
    I can't imagine going back to 10.1 after being on 10.2 for months.

Maybe I'm just lucky not to suffer from the issues you have.

Constantly amazed at the different results people have on this phone.

I shouldn't be, however, as when I walk around my office and hear the employees grumbling about problems on their PC's and then I delve into their system and discover their issues and I just SMH.

"Ignorance is temporary, stupidity is forever"

Posted via CB10
    So you're calling me stupid because I was having problems with 10.2...?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 12:40 AM
    This issue only appeared after the official update. The leak i was on was much more stable then the official

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 11:07 PM
    I've been having this issue too, ever since I got the 10.2 Official.
    11-01-13 01:08 AM
    So you're calling me stupid because I was having problems with 10.2...?

Posted via CB10
    Work in IT, and I see where he is coming from. I would guess that he is saying that most of the reported problems, is down to user error (as opposed to the OS / device).

Well, that's beleif.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-01-13 02:15 AM
    Work in IT, and I see where he is coming from. I would guess that he is saying that most of the reported problems, is down to user error (as opposed to the OS / device).

Well, that's beleif.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Coming from IT land personally, Yes that is true majority of time. However, it is not always the case, things happen. In this particular instance, it would take no less than 10min to read through this from the beginning to see that it is not just the other user and myself having this issue, multiple people are either A: having the exact same issue. Or B: Very similar issue to what I have reported here.

To say such a statement that it is user error when there is more than enough evidence here to prove otherwise from multiple sources that issue is real, is ignorant at best. From reading that persons entire post, the rest of his wordings back that up.
    11-01-13 05:57 AM
    For the record, this bug is not user error.
    11-08-13 10:18 AM
    I had this issue as well on both my Z10 and Q10. The culprit was one conversation, which was very very long (never ended) and had many MMS msgs in it as well. Once I deleted that text (and then started a new txt to the same person), haven't had an issue with it since. (No other contact would do this, only that one specific very long one... also, I have saved texts from years ago, so it's not the migrating old texts over issue for me). Had this on both official and leaked OS's (official on Z10, leaked on Q10).
    11-08-13 01:18 PM
    Coming from IT land personally, Yes that is true majority of time. However, it is not always the case, things happen. In this particular instance, it would take no less than 10min to read through this from the beginning to see that it is not just the other user and myself having this issue, multiple people are either A: having the exact same issue. Or B: Very similar issue to what I have reported here.

To say such a statement that it is user error when there is more than enough evidence here to prove otherwise from multiple sources that issue is real, is ignorant at best. From reading that persons entire post, the rest of his wordings back that up.
    I've not encountered nor have I been able to resimulate this problem. Therefore, I must conclude that if in fact it is not a user error, it is a bug not know to my device.

BlackBerry seems to be moving towards making OS 10 a very strong OS, so I'm confident that a fix will be deployed in due course.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1803
    11-09-13 12:04 PM
136 ... 3456