12-10-13 05:58 AM
136 12345 ...
tools
    Fact of the matter as I see it is this

1. People around here have been telling others to get around issues with the official OS by installing leaks. It's quite understandable that there are complaints when it doesn't work because what other solution do they have? You said you don't think there's a text issue in the official OS. I've seen numerous threads talking about a problem. But it doesn't matter. There have been plenty of other issues which prevent day-to-day use of the phone or cause untold hours of frustration, issues which can only be fixed by installing these leaks

2. In your post, you said 'Why don't you try actually calling the person. You'd be amazed at how well it works' (I'm paraphrasing, it was something like that). I'm sorry, but that's nonsense.
    1. This is a forum that used to be about people getting help. You should see every issue listed here. I spend a whole heck of a lot of time reading these forums. And never seen anyone with this issue on an official os.

2. Yes, because he said it was an emergency. Again, who texts in an energency!? If the emergency is 'hey, I need you' you should call. If it's 'hey, grandma fell down, just letting you know' then waiting the additional time on the rare occasion the glitch happens isn't going to make a difference.

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    10-20-13 02:20 PM
    That's not what you said. You said

If the glitch occurs, and I need to get a message out fast, I simply close the text message app, open the phone app, and make a call. You'd be suprised how well that works
    You think that every situation in which you need to get a message out fast is an emergency?

I communicate with my clients via text message all the time. We have exchanges which might last 4 or 5 texts each. If my phone glitches out in the middle, you think I'm going to call them? If you do, you don't function in the same world I do. My phone absolutely cannot glitch out in the middle of an exchange with a client, and I can't call them if they initiated that exchange via text because I'm fairly sure they don't want to talk on the phone.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-20-13 02:35 PM
    That's not what you said. You said

You think that every situation in which you need to get a message out fast is an emergency?

I communicate with my clients via text message all the time. We have exchanges which might last 4 or 5 texts each. If my phone glitches out in the middle, you think I'm going to call them? If you do, you don't function in the same world I do. My phone absolutely cannot glitch out in the middle of an exchange with a client, and I can't call them if they initiated that exchange via text because I'm fairly sure they don't want to talk on the phone.
    The op said it happened in an emergency. I'm not the only one that was suprised to hear someone texting in an emergency. Honestly, and it has no place in this thread I know, there's another poster that is constantly complaining her BlackBerry failed her in an emergency and that's enough reason for BlackBerry to shut bits doors.... as if BlackBerry is the only phone that's ever done this. I'll tell you I got to the sequoias quite often, and I'm the only one with a signal up there. If there was an emergency, all my iPhone toting friends would be glad I had a BlackBerry. But I digress.

You, like me, use texting for work. Now my texts are never so time sensitive that I can't wait 3 minutes to reply. In fact, even with my glitch, people are always amazed at how fast I am to reply. No one in work with responds immediately like I do. However, if I needed to reply in a second, I WOULD NOT USE THE LEAK I'M ON.

You have to look at the positives and negatives. This leak I'm on, positives, battery life, remember app, actionable toast notifications. Negative: an intermittent glitch in texting. I can work with that. The newest leak has camera issues, I can't live with that, so I'm not getting it.

I don't like the fact that I'm forced to use leaks now, I never used them before, and the reason I'm using them is because my carrier sucks. But the beautiful thing about leaks is, you can find one that suits you.

My issue with the op is he/she is knowledgeable enough to find and install a leak, but doesn't understand what a leak is? Or to try another one? And when they get one that doesn't work for them, they blame the platform. As the leak team always points out, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

10-20-13 02:51 PM
    My issue with the op is he/she is knowledgeable enough to find and install a leak, but doesn't understand what a leak is? Or to try another one? And when they get one that doesn't work for them, they blame the platform. As the leak team always points out, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.
    Is there a part of you that understands or acknowledges the fact that the OP's need to jump through these hoops is in itself an indictment of the whole platform? The 'leaks team'? Is there another OS that engenders the need for a 'leaks team'? Notice I said 'need'.

What I got out of your post is what I often see around here. It's this

'You're having problems? Why don't you do things another way? Why don't you do things the way I do them and then you won't have those problems'.

The classic example of this was the guy who responded to someone who calmly pointed out that his banking app was indispensible and he couldn't use BB10 because the app wasn't offered. The fanboy response?

'You're a troll. Why don't you just switch banks??'.
    Last edited by mset; 10-20-13 at 03:51 PM.
    10-20-13 03:27 PM
    You, like me, use texting for work. Now my texts are never so time sensitive that I can't wait 3 minutes to reply.
    Mine, on the other hand, absolutely are. If I were at a job site texting with a sub-contractor about something that was going on at that moment at the site, and during the exchange he suddenly tuned out for 5 minutes, I would wonder what's wrong with him.

If I were texting with a client and I suddenly stopped responding, it's exactly the same as if I'm having a phone conversation and I suddenly stop responding.

That's the thing about it. This is the new expectation. In my business, being available on my mobile device is crucially important. It is expected and to be honest, I expect it out of people in certain situations (mainly when we have said 'let's be in touch at such-and-such a time).
    10-20-13 03:31 PM
    I've had this problem, but only with the contact I text with the most. I deleted the conversation previous to that and the problem has disappeared. I started from scratch so I know it's not a BBOS holdover - I hypothesize (since I can't actually prove it) that the problem occurred because of the sheer size of the conversation it was trying to load. Once I deleted the older stuff, the problem disappeared.

I'm running the official 10.1.481 from Rogers.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    southlander likes this.
    10-20-13 03:35 PM
    Mine, on the other hand, absolutely are. If I were at a job site texting with a sub-contractor about something that was going on at that moment at the site, and during the exchange he suddenly tuned out for 5 minutes, I would wonder what's wrong with him.

If I were texting with a client and I suddenly stopped responding, it's exactly the same as if I'm having a phone conversation and I suddenly stop responding.

That's the thing about it. This is the new expectation. In my business, being available on my mobile device is crucially important. It is expected and to be honest, I expect it out of people in certain situations (mainly when we have said 'let's be in touch at such-and-such a time).
    I'm not arguing that some people need that. My point was if you needed that specific function, and you loaded a leak that handicapped it, you simply wouldn't use that correct? I need a camera, I won't load a leak that handicaps that. I must not be explaining myself correctly. I hope this was clear enough.

10-20-13 03:37 PM
    Is there a part of you that understands or acknowledges the fact that the OP's need to jump through these hoops is in itself an indictment of the whole platform? The 'leaks team'? Is there another OS that engenders the need for a 'leaks team'? Notice I said 'need'.

What i got out of your post is what I often see around here. It's this

'You're having problems? Why don't you do things another way? Why don't you do things the way I do them and then you won't have those problems'.

The classic example of this was the guy who responded to someone who calmly pointed out that his banking app was indispensible and he couldn't use BB10 because the app wasn't offered. The fanboy response?

'You're a troll. Why don't you just switch banks??'.
    I see no difference in leaks and rooting/modding android. When I was having issues with my Sammy tabs, first thing everyone said is, get a different launcher/ mod it/ root it, get rid of touchwiz, etc etc. For some reason same people that will tell you to mod your android are the ones that speak down so badly about leaks and side loading.

Oh! There is a difference! Rooting voids warranties! Leaks do not! My bad.

10-20-13 03:44 PM
    I'm not arguing that some people need that. My point was if you needed that specific function, and you loaded a leak that handicapped it, you simply wouldn't use that correct? I need a camera, I won't load a leak that handicaps that. I must not be explaining myself correctly. I hope this was clear enough.
    It was. My comments are based on the fact that the OP said this problem was a part of the official OS (I understand that you do not believe it is) but more importantly, because of the other threads I've read that talk about texting issues.
    10-20-13 03:54 PM
    Hmmm.

Grumble … not to be critical but how can a text message be considered an emergency?
    - never mind I'll answer that = KIDS & subway travelling (sms can be sent to kids quickly when about to enter a subway station so that kids are prepared when they leave a subway station - different from yours as one example). Silly question for me to ask as a parent (yes I'm typing while I think and no editing lol).

I can honestly say I've not had ANY sms issue on any version of BB10 or on various Z10 models (-2/-3/-1) both locked and unlocked (via 3rd party). This of course doesn't help you …. but I'm curious:

When you first noticed the issue:
    a) where any SMS from an old BBOS device migrated over using Switch Device Wizard on Link?
    b) where any contacts also brought over using the same method from "a)" above?
    - if any of these two are common, and also common to other users experiencing this issue from these boards/threads I would ensure your contacts are sync'd up to your service of choice, double-checked, then remove the sync on your BB10 device, DELETE the contacts from it, then Remove an RE-Add the accounts to re-enable SYNC from your cloud service of choice and test that out.

Call it a hunch but databases in BBOS tend to become more corrupt at a much faster rate, alarmingly so (especially with Contacts) in the last two iterations - from my experience with BES 5 and Exchange 2007/2010 with BBOS 6/6.1/7/7.1 in various companies that used them; honestly.

the only issue I had with SMS was that my right thumb kept hitting the period key vs the space key in-between words and it drove me insane! (one major reason I decided to defect again for short hiatus).

Has anyone found any solution or mention of this issue on BlackBerry's KB site?

PS: I just had a thought … if BlackBerry goes private … would this mean the public access to their KB site be blocked so that revenues for knowledge and troubleshooting support be increased? Hmm.

OK everyone- I am not going to get into detail as to why a text was more important than a phone call at that particular time. I'll put it to you like this: I live in a higher crime area, and getting worse. I contract out to all sorts of other like areas, both good and bad- figure it out.

If you're being ignored, there is a reason, I assure you. Start with going back and reading the starting post and working on down, then compare to what you had posted. I am not trying to sound overly rude, but the idea I am being attacked over something that has nothing to do with my issue is purely irrelevant, minus the fact the phone didnt work when it was supposed to. To anyone else being neutral, I appreciate the responses and ideas, thank you.

Now, to answer SUPA_FLY1's questions, I feel they give a good lead/confirm a suspicion:

A- No, I do not currently or have own(ed) any BBOS devices, nor is anyone whom I am trying to text, (I am the only BB user I know) everything started fresh, and was manually setup with this device.
    B- As for the contacts (this is where I think the root issue is happening) Started everything fresh when I got this phone. All contacts were backed up to my Gmail account, and reloaded SYNC'd data to the phone once everything was properly setup. When I got hit with a high amount of duplicates, I had tried deleting all contacts, removing the account, and re-enabled(figured it was a fluke) but had no change in both some duplicates and text hang ups. The one thing that does seem to like to repeat itself is the contacts like to duplicate when I load a newer, or restored OS on the device, and has since day 1. My contacts are all only on gmail, no other accounts have sync enabled past basic messaging.

Note: When contacts duplicate, it is random. Meaning, sometimes only 10 will duplicate, and ive had them all duplicate at one point.

- THAT, is where I think the OS is screwing up. The contacts that duplicated themselves (again, has been all at one point, and only a few at others) show identical contact information from each person. I think the text application/OS is having trouble differentiating a linked contact vs. a singular, or something that is interfering with BB's contacts app to what/where Gmail is populating to. I cannot prove this, I plan on messing with it today, but its up to the phones OS if it wants to give me this issue right away or not. I think you're correct SUPA_FLY, something within the database of the OS is bad, what exactly is beyond me.

I had at one point(this is pre 10.1/stock OS mind you) "deleted" the duplicate's which resulted in loosing the contact as a whole (verified through checking within Gmail on a desktop and android tab). After re-collecting the lost information, I went ahead and even tried deleting ALL contacts out of my Z10 leaving the Gmail account attached, (wiping contacts out all together at this point) and manually typed all my contacts back into play from my desktop letting them populate a few at a time back to the Z10(major PITA). Duplicates still showed up, and do anytime I do a updated leak, or revert back to official 10.1 OS. Ive even done full security wipes and started fresh a couple times now.

With that said, you can kinda see why I am looking at the contacts app within the OS itself causing this issue. It could also explain why some people never have this issue at all, or some do only do within certain contacts. See CBJordan's comment above, ive read a few like his now.

I cannot prove any of this, but you've given me an idea or two I can try to test- Thank you!
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-20-13 03:58 PM
    It was. My comments are based on the fact that the OP said this problem was a part of the official OS (I understand that you do not believe it is) but more importantly, because of the other threads I've read that talk about texting issues.
    OK, thanks. Sometimes I get wordy, and many times have people say I said something I never meant and can't figure out how they came to that conclusion. Lol!

I don't think the op is lieing. Not what I meant. But I think maybe they are remembering time lines wrong. With this glitch, it just doesn't make sense that it would carry across multiple os's. Unless as someone mentioned it has something to do with backing up old messages. But even then, this isn't a glitch I've seen reported until the 10.2 leaks.

10-20-13 03:59 PM
    I see no difference in leaks and rooting/modding android. When I was having issues with my Sammy tabs, first thing everyone said is, get a different launcher/ mod it/ root it, get rid of touchwiz, etc etc. For some reason same people that will tell you to mod your android are the ones that speak down so badly about leaks and side loading.

Oh! There is a difference! Rooting voids warranties! Leaks do not! My bad.
    Really?? You can't see a difference between a modder kid wanting to play with a phone and an average mom being told that to acheive basic functionality with her $700 phone, she needs to register at a site called crackberry.com, and then install a 'leak'?? Which by the way voids her warranty??

I have seen this syndrome in others. Some of you tech heads are so immersed in what you do that you have lost the ability to comprehend the fact that for the vast majority, modding a phone is something they have neither the skill nor the inclincation to do. And please, I beg of you, do not tell me how easy it is.

Gotta go. I have realized a few weeks ago that I will never be able to get these concepts across, but for some reason, I still try, occasionally.
    10-20-13 03:59 PM
    1. As the OP has pointed out, this is an issue in the official OS as well.

2. What other solution exists to get around the multiple bugs and deficiencies of the OS besides installing leaks? In fact that's what your colleagues are always telling people to do (unaware, apparently, that 'installing a leak' is something which 95% of the general population are uninterested in doing).

3. So your response is 'Why do you even need this functionality? I wouldn't be doing that'. How much Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you start rationalizing the phone's inability to send a flippin' text message?? How myopic is it to say something like 'Why don't you just make a call'? Is it possible that someone could actually not understand that sometimes it's not appropriate to make a call? That folks these days sometimes say 'text me' and mean exactly that?

Holy smokes. The stuff you guys come up with is just unreal sometimes.
    Thank you - it really is crazy here at times.
    10-20-13 04:00 PM
    Really?? You can't see a difference between a modder kid wanting to play with a phone and an average mom being told that to acheive basic functionality with her $700 phone, she needs to register at a site called crackberry.com, and then install a 'leak'?? Which by the way voids her warranty??

I have seen this syndrome in others. Some of you tech heads are so immersed in what you do that you have lost the ability to comprehend the fact that for the vast majority, modding a phone is something they have neither the skill nor the inclincation to do. And please, I beg of you, do not tell me how easy it is.

Gotta go. I have realized a few weeks ago that I will never be able to get these concepts across, but for some reason, I still try, occasionally.
    Again with the statement of 'you need a leak to get basic functionality'. One of the great mistruths perpetuated across the CB forums. Basic functionality was there with 10.1. Heck, it was there with 10.0 except it was buggy for many. So, show me where installing a leak voids warranty? People keep saying this, I've yetbtonsee anything. However the first thing I saw when I went to root my Sammy tab was a warning that doing so would void my warranty. So I didn't do it.

And if you're calling me a tech head, thank you, that's a huge compliment tons one one like me. I am far from a tech head. I have a tough time figuring out anything on my computer that isn't simply surfing the net. That's why I like my Blackberries so much. You don't need to be a tech head to produce. As much as I hate to say it, you don't have to be a tech head with ios either. Android, I kind of think you do. Which is probably why I dislike it so much.

By the way, installing a leak is so easy, even I could do it.

10-20-13 04:09 PM
    @Op. I get your frustrations with your Z10. Others are having similar or other issues with their Z as well. I've used OS 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and now 10.2.1.xxx without this issue and I text all the time. But, that doesn't mean you're not experiencing the issue, just means not everyone will experience the same bugs on an OS. Also, true, upgrading your OS may not solve your problems and it's known that some leaks may fix one issue while initiating another. For me, I would wipe the device and start over- even if I had done it all before. Others have said they had this issue, but, you are the only one that has stated this issue for any/all OS upgrades. But, if you're fed up, use your options. Your choices are limited and good luck with your decision.
    10-20-13 04:43 PM
    When this happens to me (and it does happen fairly often), just leave the text window open (don't go back to the hub), but you can swipe to the right and use any other app or lock the phone. Just DON'T leave the text window and go back to the hub. It will clear up in about a minute.
    10-20-13 04:48 PM
    @Op. I get your frustrations with your Z10. Others are having similar or other issues with their Z as well. I've used OS 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and now 10.2.1.xxx without this issue and I text all the time. But, that doesn't mean you're not experiencing the issue, just means not everyone will experience the same bugs on an OS. Also, true, upgrading your OS may not solve your problems and it's known that some leaks may fix one issue while initiating another. For me, I would wipe the device and start over- even if I had done it all before. Others have said they had this issue, but, you are the only one that has stated this issue for any/all OS upgrades. But, if you're fed up, use your options. Your choices are limited and good luck with your decision.
    I hear ya, and really it does seem pretty bleak for a solution it seems. Ill give your option another go later on today, right now user SUPA_FLY has pointed in the direction that I personally suspected as well. I have a couple routes I can try with his suggestions. I am not at all wanting to "give up" I really do like this phone alot, I find the UI to be one of the best ive used in a long time.
    Yes, you're 100% correct, being that not everyone will experience the same bugs on their OS. I see here it here all the time myself. Sometimes its OE, others its just growing pains of something new, but most of the time ive never had their issue myself. The idea ive had this problem from the start, is what is ultimately leading me back to this being a contacts bug/duplicate's as whole.

I can assure you all one thing, IF I get any headway on this, I will both post it up here, and make sure it gets submitted to BB and their Leak team. Installing the leaks is just something ive been doing out of hope it gets fixed, to just wanting some of the added functionality.

Ill keep all who is interested posted if I make any head way here.
    10-20-13 04:59 PM
    I have that problem too but it doesn't take 10 minutes, maybe 30 seconds or so.
    10-20-13 05:21 PM
    I don't wanna leave my Z10. I'd like an S4 running BB10, but that's another story.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    10-20-13 05:45 PM
    Clear your messages. That worked for me, apparently a leak made a bit corruped data and that made it lag. They know about this
    10-20-13 05:48 PM
    I don't wanna leave my Z10. I'd like an S4 running BB10, but that's another story.
    Since we're talking hopes n dreams- I feel the same as you, but it would be a Nexus 5
    10-20-13 05:52 PM
    10.2.1 fixes the problem, but it also treats SMS differently
    It separates the old BBOS SMS from the BB10 SMS, which makes it lightning fast. I assume the BBOS SMS are dragging the SMS app in 10.2.0
    However, the downside is that 10.2.1 will NOT allow you to view SMS you transfered from BBOS. It still exists and the name of the people show, but when you open, it is blank. I'm not sure what the final result will be
    Having said all this, you need A LOT OF SMS to the same contact to have this problem. I only have this problem with 1 contact, and I have 3000+ SMS and a lot of MMS with this contact. Maybe you want to delete some past SMS if this is causing you issues. All other contacts for me are blazing fast
    Thank you thank you thank you for saying that 10.2.1 fixes the problem.

I've been faced with the same and similar text message bugs that OP has for the past 4 months and the fix of stopping the process every 2 hours sucks so much.
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    10-20-13 08:19 PM
    swipe diagonally down from top right corner to middle of screen 3x to refresh the hub. or install 10.2
    10-21-13 01:20 AM
    swipe diagonally down from top right corner to middle of screen 3x to refresh the hub. or install 10.2
    five swipe from the top right of your screen.. problem solved.. less than 2mins
    Tried it, same result- Every other form of messaging is fine, text fails :\
    10-21-13 06:19 AM
    Ive had this issue on and off since 10.1 in general. Luckily for the BB it doesn't happen often enough, except of course when I need to contact someone NOW. This issue has even occurred during an emergency situation that resulted in having to use a different phone to get the job done.

What will happen is, I can either attempt to compose or read any text, from any contact. Touch to read/write the message, it will bring you into the message app/box with that contact name on top, BUT the phones text window will sit there unresponsive and not load the text/conversation history, just has the contacts name in blue on top. Forget trying to respond, not happening. That is until it sits there ON that "stuck" contact for up to 10min. Then it will finally load the convo, and I can send/receive as needed. - Keep in mind, the phone is not locked up, and I can freely enter and exit the text area as I need. This issue is only on the text side, and has no effect on BBM, WhatsApp, etc..

To add insult to injury, sometimes it will only load part of the text and history, sometimes allows me to type- but leaves the "send message" greyed out.

Ive tried to completely delete ALL text history with everyone, leaving the text section empty with no change. Battery pull, reboot has 0 effect- If it is "stuck" when I power cycle or battery pull, It will STILL be stuck once its been rebooted.

Ive tried to reload, restore, wipe, sing to, swear at, and reason with, to just about ready to end its(Z10) life against a concrete wall! (so frustrating) If this keeps happening, especially when I need this for work, I will have no choice but to leave this platform. Not a threat, just the reality of this situation.

Has anyone run into this?- At all, if so- did you fix it? and major thank you in advance.

Model: STL100-1 Factory Unlocked
    this happened to me, until i installed a 10.2 leak and this no longer happened. when u type and the send message is blanked out though, copy ur message, go out then back into application, paste ur mesage and ther send button works again! i didnt read ur whole message, in my admnission im in a rush. but if uve installed a leak and done a restore... try not doing that.. install a leak.. re-install everything from fresh. i found this helped
    10-21-13 07:12 AM
136 12345 ...