12-10-13 06:58 AM
136 1234 ...
tools
    As most people said, I too have noticed this being an issue with really long text msg conversations. So I typically open a short conversation first, and then open the longer conversation I actually want to open. This works almost every time.
    10-19-13 06:19 PM
    >What will happen is, I can either attempt to compose or read any text, from any contact. Touch to read/write the message, it will bring you into the message app/box with that contact name on top, BUT the phones text window will sit there unresponsive and not load the text/conversation history, just has the contacts name in blue on top. Forget trying to respond, not happening. That is until it sits there ON that "stuck" contact for up to 10min. Then it will finally load the convo, and I can send/receive as needed. - Keep in mind, the phone is not locked up, and I can freely enter and exit the text area as I need. This issue is only on the text side, and has no effect on BBM, WhatsApp, etc..

Unfortunately, I have the identical issue with my Z10 and yes, it is very fruustrating indeed. I have deleted all chats and it made no difference. I performed a security wipe and it made no difference. I even did a factory restore from the phone and aggain, it made no difference. I too am waiting seven or more minutes for text messaging to become available, I start it, but have to wait seven or more minutes before I am able to use it. While this delay is occuring I am able to use any other function without a problem. It really is just the text messaging that has this long long delay after being started before being available to use.

I have never installed a leak and after performing a factory restore I opened text messaging and had to wait a long long time (well over five minutes) before I was able to type anything.

As I tried this immediately after performing a factory restore I know that it is not an issue caused by another app or by having multiple chats saved. This was on a clean and new installation. So, it is a mystery to me why this happening.

This does only happen ofter the first time opening text messaging after powering on the device. Any further use of text messaging does not have this delay. It is ONLY occuring the first time text messaging is opened after powering on the Z10.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to eliminate this delay I would very much appreciate hearing your ideas.
    10-19-13 06:59 PM
    I have this issue a several times, i found the clearing the text history fixed it immediately.
    10-19-13 07:05 PM
    Are you waiting for the HUB to populate?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 07:18 PM
    >What will happen is, I can either attempt to compose or read any text, from any contact. Touch to read/write the message, it will bring you into the message app/box with that contact name on top, BUT the phones text window will sit there unresponsive and not load the text/conversation history, just has the contacts name in blue on top. Forget trying to respond, not happening. That is until it sits there ON that "stuck" contact for up to 10min. Then it will finally load the convo, and I can send/receive as needed. - Keep in mind, the phone is not locked up, and I can freely enter and exit the text area as I need. This issue is only on the text side, and has no effect on BBM, WhatsApp, etc..

Unfortunately, I have the identical issue with my Z10 and yes, it is very fruustrating indeed. I have deleted all chats and it made no difference. I performed a security wipe and it made no difference. I even did a factory restore from the phone and aggain, it made no difference. I too am waiting seven or more minutes for text messaging to become available, I start it, but have to wait seven or more minutes before I am able to use it. While this delay is occuring I am able to use any other function without a problem. It really is just the text messaging that has this long long delay after being started before being available to use.

I have never installed a leak and after performing a factory restore I opened text messaging and had to wait a long long time (well over five minutes) before I was able to type anything.

As I tried this immediately after performing a factory restore I know that it is not an issue caused by another app or by having multiple chats saved. This was on a clean and new installation. So, it is a mystery to me why this happening.

This does only happen ofter the first time opening text messaging after powering on the device. Any further use of text messaging does not have this delay. It is ONLY occuring the first time text messaging is opened after powering on the Z10.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to eliminate this delay I would very much appreciate hearing your ideas.
    Which model of the Z10 do you have, and from which carrier?

For me, the delay can happen at anytime sadly. I am curious about one thing, did you have the contacts issue where there were multiple duplicates, and had to "link" them all together? This is one issue I had since day 1, and still fight with it on some leaks. I am wondering if the bug could be associated with this.
    10-19-13 07:20 PM
    I actually have this issue as well. It only happens on one of my chat threads because it's such a long thread. It doesn't happen to any other one.

What I do is tap on the contacts name on the top and hold it. This will pop up the menu on the right side to view the contact info. Tap to view the contact and nothing will happen at first. Just stay on the chat thread and it will open the contact info and then u can go back to ur text and it will load ur full chat thread and u'll be able to text. It shouldn't take longer than a couple of minutes. But you need to stay on the chat screen and not leave it.
    Mine happens on 10.1MR.
    10-19-13 07:25 PM
    I actually have this issue as well. It only happens on one of my chat threads because it's such a long thread. It doesn't happen to any other one.

What I do is tap on the contacts name on the top and hold it. This will pop up the menu on the right side to view the contact info. Tap to view the contact and nothing will happen at first. Just stay on the chat thread and it will open the contact info and then u can go back to ur text and it will load ur full chat thread and u'll be able to text. It shouldn't take longer than a couple of minutes. But you need to stay on the chat screen and not leave it.
    Mine happens on 10.1MR.
    That's a good tip, and ill keep it in mind when it "half" occurs again. Otherwise, I have no KB, or ability to access the side menus. The only functionality I have when this happens to leave the text message and either go back to the hub, or wherever doesn't matter.
    10-19-13 07:35 PM
    I get the same exact issue. I am returning the phone under warrant to get it fixed. I am waiting for 10.2 to come out first.
    10-19-13 07:48 PM
    I have the same issue and I only notice it when I have long conversations, I'm not in the habit of clearing or deleting text messages so I know I have well over 3k messages. What I'm shocked about is that there isn't a sms limit like it will keep only the last 200 sms messages after that it will start deleting the old ones, one by one. Same with mms that's one feature I feel they need to add if they can't fix the issue of the text messages lagging. Although some have said they have seen it when they have very few messages.
    10-19-13 07:59 PM
    Keeping my 9900- With looooong text conversations ...
    10-19-13 08:28 PM
    Ive had this issue on and off since 10.1 in general. Luckily for the BB it doesn't happen often enough, except of course when I need to contact someone NOW. This issue has even occurred during an emergency situation that resulted in having to use a different phone to get the job done.

What will happen is, I can either attempt to compose or read any text, from any contact. Touch to read/write the message, it will bring you into the message app/box with that contact name on top, BUT the phones text window will sit there unresponsive and not load the text/conversation history, just has the contacts name in blue on top. Forget trying to respond, not happening. That is until it sits there ON that "stuck" contact for up to 10min. Then it will finally load the convo, and I can send/receive as needed. - Keep in mind, the phone is not locked up, and I can freely enter and exit the text area as I need. This issue is only on the text side, and has no effect on BBM, WhatsApp, etc..

To add insult to injury, sometimes it will only load part of the text and history, sometimes allows me to type- but leaves the "send message" greyed out.

Ive tried to completely delete ALL text history with everyone, leaving the text section empty with no change. Battery pull, reboot has 0 effect- If it is "stuck" when I power cycle or battery pull, It will STILL be stuck once its been rebooted.

Ive tried to reload, restore, wipe, sing to, swear at, and reason with, to just about ready to end its(Z10) life against a concrete wall! (so frustrating) If this keeps happening, especially when I need this for work, I will have no choice but to leave this platform. Not a threat, just the reality of this situation.

Has anyone run into this?- At all, if so- did you fix it? and major thank you in advance.

Model: STL100-1 Factory Unlocked
    That's sound bad. It sounds like an OS problem. I would suggest you to load another appropriate OS for your phone or roll back to the official one. I have never experienced any of these issues with mine.

One thing you mentioned is that it happens only "during emergencies." This makes it sound that it is intermittent. Is this the case?
    10-19-13 09:37 PM
    That's a good tip, and ill keep it in mind when it "half" occurs again. Otherwise, I have no KB, or ability to access the side menus. The only functionality I have when this happens to leave the text message and either go back to the hub, or wherever doesn't matter.
    Yeah the main thing I find is not even going back to the hub. Once u click on to open the contact just stay on that screen. It works for me.
    10-19-13 09:41 PM
    That's sound bad. It sounds like an OS problem. I would suggest you to load another appropriate OS for your phone or roll back to the official one. I have never experienced any of these issues with mine.

One thing you mentioned is that it happens only "during emergencies." This makes it sound that it is intermittent. Is this the case?
    Hi,
    I meant to say that it had happened once very recently during and emergency situation. Ill go clarify that part..

Heres the thing, its been going on since the official release of 10.1 as a whole, and before that was the stock EARLY 10.0.0.xxx OS, which was alot of headaches. The reason why I keep with the leaks, is for the hope that one of them fixes it. This is def. a OS problem, no questions there
    10-19-13 09:43 PM
    I had this problem when I first bought the phone. I wouldn't be able to load any conversations, nor delete them. I took the phone back to ATT and they gave me a new battery, have not had the problem since.
    10-20-13 12:55 AM
    I have enormous SMS history and have this problem on a few contacts. I seem to have corrected it by exporting the history with SMS Backup, installing 10.2.0.1791, security wipe, restore from backup, delete all text history, setup the accounts again, then import the message history from the SMS Backup files. The text history loads instantly.
    10-20-13 01:35 AM
    Hmmm.

Grumble … not to be critical but how can a text message be considered an emergency?
    - never mind I'll answer that = KIDS & subway travelling (sms can be sent to kids quickly when about to enter a subway station so that kids are prepared when they leave a subway station - different from yours as one example). Silly question for me to ask as a parent (yes I'm typing while I think and no editing lol).

I can honestly say I've not had ANY sms issue on any version of BB10 or on various Z10 models (-2/-3/-1) both locked and unlocked (via 3rd party). This of course doesn't help you …. but I'm curious:

When you first noticed the issue:
    a) where any SMS from an old BBOS device migrated over using Switch Device Wizard on Link?
    b) where any contacts also brought over using the same method from "a)" above?
    - if any of these two are common, and also common to other users experiencing this issue from these boards/threads I would ensure your contacts are sync'd up to your service of choice, double-checked, then remove the sync on your BB10 device, DELETE the contacts from it, then Remove an RE-Add the accounts to re-enable SYNC from your cloud service of choice and test that out.

Call it a hunch but databases in BBOS tend to become more corrupt at a much faster rate, alarmingly so (especially with Contacts) in the last two iterations - from my experience with BES 5 and Exchange 2007/2010 with BBOS 6/6.1/7/7.1 in various companies that used them; honestly.

the only issue I had with SMS was that my right thumb kept hitting the period key vs the space key in-between words and it drove me insane! (one major reason I decided to defect again for short hiatus).

Has anyone found any solution or mention of this issue on BlackBerry's KB site?

PS: I just had a thought … if BlackBerry goes private … would this mean the public access to their KB site be blocked so that revenues for knowledge and troubleshooting support be increased? Hmm.
    Grumblegrumble and sahinem like this.
    10-20-13 02:15 AM
    haha i thought you were talking about ios7
    10-20-13 02:59 AM
    haha i thought you were talking about ios7
    Hhahaha

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:48 AM
    I have enormous SMS history and have this problem on a few contacts. I seem to have corrected it by exporting the history with SMS Backup, installing 10.2.0.1791, security wipe, restore from backup, delete all text history, setup the accounts again, then import the message history from the SMS Backup files. The text history loads instantly.
    I tried a similar method, except I loaded accounts first. Then I deleted and restored the text messages.

Unfortunately, my method didn't work.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:59 AM
    You do realize that you are running a leak and leaks have bugs in them that is why they are not an official operating system. Trying a different leak may help. With the leak I am using to connect to a different WiFi I have to reboot.
    Last edited by Wilsonia Goldens; 10-20-13 at 12:08 PM.
    10-20-13 11:46 AM
    You are using a leak.
    On official 10.1 I had absolutely no bugs, I have one (this) on 10.2 leaked. I'm pretty sure it'll be gone on official one
    10-20-13 12:01 PM
    You do realize that you are running a leak and leaks have bugs in them that is why they are not an official operating system. Trying a different leak may help. With the leak I am using to connect to a different WiFi I have to reboot.
    I tried telling him that, but he ignored me. Lol

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    10-20-13 01:05 PM
    If it is something you can't handle, go back down to your carrier's official 10.1

When you installed the leak, you knew that there may be glitches and not everything would work right. It's repeated ad nauseum so that people do not complain like this. That is the nature of the leaks.
    1. As the OP has pointed out, this is an issue in the official OS as well.

2. What other solution exists to get around the multiple bugs and deficiencies of the OS besides installing leaks? In fact that's what your colleagues are always telling people to do (unaware, apparently, that 'installing a leak' is something which 95% of the general population are uninterested in doing).

3. So your response is 'Why do you even need this functionality? I wouldn't be doing that'. How much Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you start rationalizing the phone's inability to send a flippin' text message?? How myopic is it to say something like 'Why don't you just make a call'? Is it possible that someone could actually not understand that sometimes it's not appropriate to make a call? That folks these days sometimes say 'text me' and mean exactly that?

Holy smokes. The stuff you guys come up with is just unreal sometimes.
    10-20-13 02:20 PM
    1. As the OP has pointed out, this is an issue in the official OS as well.

2. What other solution exists to get around the multiple bugs and deficiencies of the OS besides installing leaks? In fact that's what your colleagues are always telling people to do (unaware, apparently, that 'installing a leak' is something which 95% of the general population are uninterested in doing).

3. So your response is 'Why do you even need this functionality? I wouldn't be doing that'. How much Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you start rationalizing the phone's inability to send a flippin' text message?? How myopic is it to say something like 'Why don't you just make a call'? Is it possible that someone could actually not understand that sometimes it's not appropriate to make a call? That folks these days sometimes say 'text me' and mean exactly that?

Holy smokes. The stuff you guys come up with is just unreal sometimes.
    1) with all the issues that has been reported in the official os's, I have never ever heard of this one before this thread. I do have this issue in the leak I am running. But never had it on 10.0 or 10.1. This is a software issue that came with the unreleased software we chose to install on our phones. Personally, and no offense to op, I believe op is remembering time lines incorrectly. This is not an issue that has been reported with official builds. Is an issue with a few leaks. He agrees is software issue. He's loaded an entirely different os on his phone than what it came with. If this is an issue he can't live with, don't use the leak. I can live with this, but can't live with the camera issues of the new leak, so I'm not getting it. However, should I get it anyway and then complain that there are issues with the camera and they will force me to leave the platform?

2) since 10.1 I don't think people have been installing leaks to get around bugs. I had no bugs on 10.1 but installed a leak, to see what was coming, and because my carrier likes to hold updates as long as possible. I think you're reaching here.

3) not Kool aid. He said it did this to him in an emergency situation. Really now, who texts in an emergency? Either it was an emergency in the sense of 'oh dang, I didn't tell my wife no pickles on my burger!' or he didn't cate about whatever was endangered if he wouldn't make a phone call.

Fact of the matter is this. He is running an unreleased leaked os. No problem. So am I. But to then complain about this huge error that's going to make us all want to leave BlackBerry.... on an OS BlackBerry has not released to us? come on... that's laughable.

How about this 'I just rooted and installed a custom mod on my Samsung Galaxy! Now my split screen doesn't work! This is a horrible deficiency with Samsung. I must now leave Samsung and never use their equipment again! What were they thinking!?" -highly dramatized right? But do you get it now?

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    10-20-13 02:43 PM
    Fact of the matter is this. He is running an unreleased leaked os. No problem. So am I. But to then complain about this huge error that's going to make us all want to leave BlackBerry.... on an OS BlackBerry has not released to us? come on... that's laughable.
    Fact of the matter as I see it is this

1. People around here have been telling others to get around issues with the official OS by installing leaks. It's quite understandable that there are complaints when it doesn't work because what other solution do they have? You said you don't think there's a text issue in the official OS. I've seen numerous threads talking about a problem. But it doesn't matter. There have been plenty of other issues which prevent day-to-day use of the phone or cause untold hours of frustration, issues which can only be fixed by installing these leaks

2. In your post, you said 'Why don't you try actually calling the person. You'd be amazed at how well it works' (I'm paraphrasing, it was something like that). I'm sorry, but that's nonsense.
    10-20-13 02:55 PM
136 1234 ...