So I know that this is 'immoral' or whatever, but that's not my concern.
    My internet at home someone drops and for those moments I really need internet I'd like to have the option to tether my Z10's internet to my laptop. However, my plan doesn't allow me to do so. Any idea how to bypass this?
    12-17-13 05:02 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1055-a-877876/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...creens-793184/

There is a difference in the carrier knowing, and the carrier doing anything about it....
    Make sure you know what you are doing and that there may be a risk. Personally I would not do ANYTHING to jeopardise an unlimited plan with Verizon.
    12-17-13 07:39 AM
    It is trivial for a carrier to detect, via deep-packet inspection (simply by looking at the browser ID string!) that you're tethering to a PC or other non-phone device.

There are ways to hide this (including using a VPN) but it only takes one mistake and you're caught.

Since these plans typically include a specific prohibition against doing what you want to do, and further all the carriers are (nowdays) checking this sort of thing, if you get caught the penalty could be anything from them simply blocking the access (common) all the way up to voiding your grandfathered "unlimited" plan.

The latter is bad news, but they are well within their rights to do it.

Many carriers nowdays are actually having the device "quietly" switch the APN when you go into tethering mode, and that's how they're enforcing their rules. The "phone" APN (the one you see) has the intercepts on it while the tethering one does not, but the tethering APN will only attach if your plan permits it. I've seen this with a number of carriers over the last couple of years.....
    12-17-13 08:21 AM
    I'm guessing your carrier doesn't have or allow you to use your z10 as a mobile hot spot? Or you don't want to add it? I have shared data on vzw and use it daily. I'll be eliminating my mifi in Feb when I can.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:37 AM
    I'm guessing your carrier doesn't have or allow you to use your z10 as a mobile hot spot? Or you don't want to add it? I have shared data on vzw and use it daily. I'll be eliminating my mifi in Feb when I can.

Posted via CB10
    He has the grandfathered plan which is unlimited and can't be used for tethering or hotspot.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10STL100-3 running 10.2.0.1803
    12-17-13 12:41 PM
    He has the grandfathered plan which is unlimited and can't be used for tethering or hotspot.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10STL100-3 running 10.2.0.1803
    My bad. His OP mentioned nothing about hot spot. Or that his plan was unlimited. Or for that matter, grandfathered.

Just throwing out ideas to help but guess I didn't read carefully enough lol

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 12:57 PM
    the escreen method works perfectly. i had it on my q10, but it doesn't work on .1055 on the q10
    if anyone has gotten it to work, i'd love to know how!
    12-17-13 05:14 PM
    the escreen method works perfectly. i had it on my q10, but it doesn't work on .1055 on the q10
    if anyone has gotten it to work, i'd love to know how!
    That is with Verizon only, right?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 07:07 PM
    Anything for sprint?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 07:41 PM
    i have verizon, so i've only tried it on that. i think its only for verizon, though.

i wish it worked on .1055!

That is with Verizon only, right?

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 07:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is only a no-extra-charge on Verizon's "Shared Programs". I am on a shared Verizon plan with someone and tethering is no extra charge and sets up easy enough on our Z10s. If you are on a single line it's an extra charge and you must add it to make it work.

Trusted Member Genius on a Z10
    12-17-13 10:24 PM
    So I know that this is 'immoral' or whatever, but that's not my concern.
    My internet at home someone drops and for those moments I really need internet I'd like to have the option to tether my Z10's internet to my laptop. However, my plan doesn't allow me to do so. Any idea how to bypass this?
    There is no way at all to do this without the carrier "knowing".
    This is my industry for the last many years: A combination of technologies allow the carrier to know absolutely everything about anything you do on their network.

Every website and every access method you use is recorded and analysed in real time.

A combination of web access gateways and DPI boxes can be easily tuned to sift and sort behaviours and adjust accordingly.

So - They know. They might not care but they know.

PS: If you all knew HOW MUCH they know you'd never surf again. Honest.
    12-17-13 10:27 PM
    I'm on AT&T, and would love a way to tether. I used Tether (formerly TetherBerry) on BBOS, but they never made a BB10 app. I work on a boat, and go without any internet except for my phone for weeks while on board.

Posted via my sexy-*** Z10 running 10.2.0.1803 ON A BOAT!!!
    12-18-13 08:11 AM
    Wow US carriers are that strict? All I know is whatever data plan I signed up with in Canada, I get to tether all I want.
    12-18-13 09:51 AM
    Yep.

The only real way around them knowing is to run the VPN up all the time. Then they know you're running the VPN but not what you're doing beyond that.

Incidentally, on BB10 if you bring up the VPN tethering runs behind it (not on top of it), so your tethered session is NOT VPN'd.
    12-18-13 10:43 AM
    Wow US carriers are that strict? All I know is whatever data plan I signed up with in Canada, I get to tether all I want.
    They've been doing anything they can to get people off of unlimited plans.

Posted via my sexy-*** Z10 running 10.2.0.1803 ON A BOAT!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-18-13 12:12 PM
    I'm not actually in the US.
    I'm on a UK network called giffgaff.
    12-21-13 03:02 PM
    i have verizon, so i've only tried it on that. i think its only for verizon, though.

i wish it worked on .1055!
    Side load an old escreens .bar file (escreens-10.1.0.32-nto+armle-v7+signed.bar), it's somewhere on this site. Worked on 1055 and works on 1259.
    Andeye likes this.
    12-21-13 04:19 PM