Well, this is information that I have posted in a another section, but thought I would share it here in a hope that someone with influence, like say CrackBerry big wigs or even us as members, can do something about the event that you will read below.

I am still rather taken back by the position of a company like Synology.

I am a avid supporter of Synology, in some what the same way I support BlackBerry. However, after this recent development, I am having second thoughts as to my loyalty to Synology.

I went to a Synology DSM 5 Beta launch event yesterday (16th January 2014), and one of the presenters literally disrespected BlackBerry..... How? Well, he showed a slide with all the mobile devices supported, all showing the usual suspects icons (Android, Apple, Windows), and a BlackBerry icon... which he then commented "Oh, whats that doing there" and then with a click it scrolled off the screen. People laughed. I did not find it funny.

Anyways, later during the question and answer section I asked him: I have noted that BlackBerry was dismissed earlier as having an app for your product. Will you be supporting BlackBerry in the future? To which he replied: "We offer apps for popular devices, and as such no plans for BlackBerry. But if we get enough requests, then we will think about it". I then rebutted and made statement that "are you implying that BlackBerry is NOT a popular device?". At which point his collogue then jumped in and stated that "with BlackBerry soon being able to use Android apps, we should rely on that".

In short, we are sadly pushed to relay on Android ports from Synology.

And for this reason I do not support Android ports. I believe an App needs to be built for BlackBerry.. This way, it takes full potential via fully integrating with QNX / BlackBerry10
    01-17-14 03:05 PM
    There is always QNAP I guess.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-17-14 03:13 PM
    I suppose it all depends on what you're looking to do on the NAS. Most of it is all standard protocols that can be accessed in other ways without their apps or direct support. Everything I would use it for is pretty functional over FTP.
    01-17-14 03:19 PM
    The android ports for DS Audio and DS File work pretty well since Synology's most recent release of the apps. Since that point, I haven't found any inconvenience to using the DS apps outside of the initial download. With Snap, some of the annoyance is resolved.
    01-17-14 03:23 PM
    Better support the developers of Files&Folders or PlayCloud. They need our support more than the manufacturer of the NASes.
    01-17-14 03:26 PM
    Ds audio, Ds file, photo and Ds video work when you use the android port no problems there

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 05:30 PM

And for this reason I do not support Android ports. I believe an App needs to be built for BlackBerry.. This way, it takes full potential via fully integrating with QNX / BlackBerry10[/FONT][/COLOR]
    So after all that you'd rather not use your Synology NAS with your BB10 phone because you disagree with Android ports?

If the Android VM wasn't in BB10 there would be so much more in the world that had no software support on BB10 whatsover because of BlackBerry's miniscule market share. One could call it a necessary evil the way things are right now, but how would less software support right now be better?

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    01-17-14 06:43 PM
    On top of that you can't use Synology Webdav calendar with your BlackBerry os 10. Try, it will fail.
    01-17-14 07:39 PM

And for this reason I do not support Android ports. I believe an App needs to be built for BlackBerry.. This way, it takes full potential via fully integrating with QNX / BlackBerry10
    [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This is the reason I bought a qnap. Plus Q Manager app is available in BBW albeit an Android port but works great.

Posted on CB10 using Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    01-17-14 07:45 PM
    Am with you on this one. Am stuck with 2 Syno at home...
    01-17-14 07:54 PM
    Ds audio, Ds file, photo and Ds video work when you use the android port no problems there

Posted via CB10
    I understand that. But my question is WHY?

Why must I have a Porshe and be forced to use converted Ford parts from the manufacturers! Why cant they make a Porshe certified part for my Porsche? If I wanted Ford parts, I may have well had bought a Ford!!

Do you get my point?
    01-18-14 02:23 AM
    Am with you on this one. Am stuck with 2 Syno at home...
    Like wise.... I would like to be able to have the same functionality as my Android and iOS devices... why should I be subjected to second best or having to use another OS software.

I was in the market for a new Synology box, and was interested in the DS213air, I went to the demo and was intrigued at the things that could be done on the mobile front. Guess that will not be for my BlackBerry. What a shame.... guess I will look more on the Qnap now.
    01-18-14 02:30 AM
    Same here with my western digital mybooklive duo. They don't support bb10 and leave me with the android app.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 05:13 AM
    I understand that. But my question is WHY?

Why must I have a Porshe and be forced to use converted Ford parts from the manufacturers! Why cant they make a Porshe certified part for my Porsche? If I wanted Ford parts, I may have well had bought a Ford!!

Do you get my point?
    So your question is "Why doesn't Synology make apps for the BlackBerry 10"? Easy answer... market share or lack there of. It's the same reason why most app vendors don't make an app for the BlackBerry, they don't see the value proposition in it considering how little of the market is using BlackBerry 10 devices versus iOS or Android devices. Its frustrating and annoying and many other things, but it is what it is.

The fact that you can run Android apps to do what you want on your BlackBerry 10 phone is simply amazing to me, and I for one am grateful I have this as an option versus not being able to run the apps at all.
    kbz1960 and johnnyuk like this.
    01-18-14 05:31 AM
    Using DLNA with my Synology Nas and the Kalemsoft Mediaplayer on my Z10 its workable for me.

I can stream my Movies, listen to my Music and view my Pictures without any problems.

So yeah no Native app support from Synology but that does not mean it`s Unusable with a Blackberry (10) device like Bla1ze mentioned before.
    HotFix and nikhilist like this.
    01-18-14 05:34 AM
    So your question is "Why doesn't Synology make apps for the BlackBerry 10"? Easy answer... market share or lack there of. It's the same reason why most app vendors don't make an app for the BlackBerry, they don't see the value proposition in it considering how little of the market is using BlackBerry 10 devices versus iOS or Android devices. Its frustrating and annoying and many other things, but it is what it is.

The fact that you can run Android apps to do what you want on your BlackBerry 10 phone is simply amazing to me, and I for one am grateful I have this as an option versus not being able to run the apps at all.
    I understand and agree.

It's all about taking a risk then and investing in the underdog. And I use the term "underdog" to describe BlackBerry very loosely, as I do not see them as a underdog. I see them as revolutionary and the release of QNX / BlackBerry 10 shows just that. If I was in a position of great fortune, I'd invest heavily in BlackBerry. For now, i'll do my bit by buying BlackBerry and not supporting none BlackBerry apps (if I were to use one).

Guess one may say I'm a BlackBerry fanboy, but i'll say I'm not. I've tried the rest, and it all just takes me back to BlackBerry as the others can't offer me the productivity and focus that I get from a BlackBerry device, especially my Q10 (which remains the best mobile device I've ever owned).

Posted via CB10 on my Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    HotFix likes this.
    01-18-14 06:07 AM
    Guess one may say I'm a BlackBerry fanboy, but i'll say I'm not. I've tried the rest, and it all just takes me back to BlackBerry as the others can't offer me the productivity and focus that I get from a BlackBerry device, especially my Q10 (which remains the best mobile device I've ever owned).
    You are in good company. I work for Microsoft as a messaging engineer and yet I refuse to give up my BB 10 device until someone shows me how a Windows Phone is better at messaging (please don't rat me out). ;-)
    moyah8 likes this.
    01-18-14 06:50 AM
    This is quite relevant to me as I am considering buying a NAS device.
    Which should I buy if I want to be able to access files from bb10? BlackBerry file manager integration like dropbox, box would be nice but probably too much to expect. Currently have usb drive attached tp cisco-linksys EA router but NAS would be so much faster.
    Would like DLNA support + dual drives.
    01-19-14 12:25 PM
    You are in good company. I work for Microsoft as a messaging engineer and yet I refuse to give up my BB 10 device until someone shows me how a Windows Phone is better at messaging (please don't rat me out). ;-)
    How about groupme for bb10???? Lol

Or is groupme still it's own thing although aquired?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 12:40 PM
    How about groupme for bb10???? Lol

Or is groupme still it's own thing although aquired?

Posted via CB10
    I am not familiar with that technology. Like all big software companies there are many parts moving in different directions and that is a product that must operate in a part I don't have exposure to. Sorry.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-19-14 02:58 PM
    Think this is kind of relevant?
    Just noticed today the Ghost Commander app includes both ftp and samba client!
    Which is kind of useful if you have network storage which cant support BlackBerry link.
    01-19-14 05:24 PM
    This is quite relevant to me as I am considering buying a NAS device.
    Which should I buy if I want to be able to access files from bb10? BlackBerry file manager integration like dropbox, box would be nice but probably too much to expect. Currently have usb drive attached tp cisco-linksys EA router but NAS would be so much faster.
    Would like DLNA support + dual drives.
    QNAP seems like a good option. Though there is a app called "PlayCloud 10" which offers cloud support.
    01-20-14 07:34 AM
    This is a bit off topic since I don't use a NAS.

I use ES File Explorer to wireless stream video and audio and pics from 4 computer HDs around the house using Samba shares on the same WiFi to Z10 and PlayBook. It is an android program. One HD has movies; one HD has music, one HD has pictures, and one HD has everything else. ES File Explorer finds all the shares and streams them all smoothly to Z10 and PlayBook. It is easy to plug a big external HD into just about any networked computer you have lying around and share your files over WiFi.
    01-20-14 10:29 AM
    I had enough with stories like this.
    I'm decompiling all DS apps and will take a look.

Follow my app development on BlackBerry Channels bbmc:C00231722
    HotFix and moyah8 like this.
    01-21-14 10:07 AM
    I had enough with stories like this.
    I'm decompiling all DS apps and will take a look.

Follow my app development on BlackBerry Channels bbmc:C00231722
    I endorse that move. Hope you all the best on your endeavours.

01-21-14 12:23 PM