I do not know whether this is specific to 4xxx builds, but in trying to diagnose my battery drain that occurs out of nowhere, i am starting to believe it is related to having a WiFi connection to eduroam (academic WiFi).

Is anybody else here on WiFi experiencing something similar? Has any input?

I tried felting and re-adding the profile, it did not change anythibg.
    Switching off WiFi removes the drain and my home WiFi is perfectly fine.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 09:41 AM
    If what you're saying is true, it should happen on all wifi connections
    There shouldn't be anything special about eduroam (I use it too in the past) that makes it drain any faster
    Because thinking from a hardware perspective, it isn't any different
    07-16-13 10:33 AM
    It could be a number of things, difficult to say without diagnosing the problem. eduroam networks are enterprise networks and usually have a lot of users. You could be on a VLAN which is /21 or /20 with several thousand other devices. That can produce a fair amount of broadcast traffic (which maybe coupled with a low DTIM) keeping your wifi quite active. At home you may have maybe 4 or 5 devices (maybe less) and not so much broadcast. The eduroam site (or your home organisation) may have set a short re-auth period and your phone is regularly re-authenticating (same goes for the re-keying period). At home you won't need to re-auth or re-key as it is only using PSK. Maybe the eduroam network is 5GHz and at home you only have 2.4GHz. etc.

In short there are lots of reasons why this could happen, without more diagnostics it is difficult to say where the problem lies.
    Last edited by armitasp1; 07-16-13 at 11:58 AM.
    07-16-13 11:47 AM
    Too bad nobody has an answer - though your general assessment is interesting and valid.

In terms of devices on eduroam it is less now as the students are gone, but still more people than at home.
    I do think I saw the same drain on Poland on eduroam as well on a 2xxx build, but i am not sure.

At home it is at most 6 devices including my BlackBerry - generally less.
    I have no idea about re authentication etc. On eduroam - is there a way I can troubleshoot that?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 12:03 PM
    Oh, you didn't hear?? Starting with the dev OS builds of the MRs [4xxx and above] they added a new battery tax, you and your battery will be charge 0.2 Watts per hour. Thanks for the understanding. Sincerely, The Internal BlackBerry Energy Revenue Service
    djdragon likes this.
    07-16-13 12:13 PM
    I have no idea about re authentication etc. On eduroam - is there a way I can troubleshoot that?

Posted via CB10
    It wouldn't be easy.

The re-auth period could be set in a number of places:
    1. as a returned attribute from you home organisations RADIUS server when you authenticate
    2. on the RADIUS server proxying your authentication (when you are visiting another eduroam site)
    3. on the wireless controller / AP you are connected to. These values really vary between site admins. Some set long re-auth periods like 12 hours others much shorter. I've heard of some being as low every 15 minutes.
    4. Depending upon the mobility protocols in use, you could re-auth as you roaming between APs and/or Controllers

I don't have a blackberry so I'm not an expert on debugging. With Android you could put the device in USB debugging mode and capture the wpa_supplicant debug. Whether you could do something similar with Blackberry I don't know
    07-16-13 01:23 PM
    It wouldn't be easy.

The re-auth period could be set in a number of places:
    1. as a returned attribute from you home organisations RADIUS server when you authenticate
    2. on the RADIUS server proxying your authentication (when you are visiting another eduroam site)
    3. on the wireless controller / AP you are connected to. These values really vary between site admins. Some set long re-auth periods like 12 hours others much shorter. I've heard of some being as low every 15 minutes.
    4. Depending upon the mobility protocols in use, you could re-auth as you roaming between APs and/or Controllers

I don't have a blackberry so I'm not an expert on debugging. With Android you could put the device in USB debugging mode and capture the wpa_supplicant debug. Whether you could do something similar with Blackberry I don't know
    Ouch... sounds like a job for a network expert... And i doubt it support would have a good answer for me... hmm

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 02:25 PM
    Ouch... sounds like a job for a network expert... And i doubt it support would have a good answer for me... hmm

Posted via CB10
    Hold up, in all seriousness now, RADIUS protocols wouldn't/shouldn't drain the battery like this even if you had a 300 second call for auth. from my experience this is the case. I've also worked on spin builds of BlackBerry devices which use protocols for WLAN's that were more intensive [security-wise] than AAA-type management, and the battery drain wasn't significantly noticeable. My main point, I wouldn't point to the security method in this particular case...
    07-16-13 03:17 PM
    If you're on the waterloo campus, like I am, I find that there are some really spotty areas where eduroam is terrible. When you're walking around, you lose connection and the phone reconnect to the network towers. However it is likely that in a minute you will walk into an area with better reception again. This constant on and off activity may be contributing to your battery drain. I find it beneficial to actually turn off my wifi until I am settled in a location that I will stay in for more than 5 minutes lol

Posted from CB10 using a Blackberry Z10
    07-16-13 11:22 PM
    If you're on the waterloo campus, like I am, I find that there are some really spotty areas where eduroam is terrible. When you're walking around, you lose connection and the phone reconnect to the network towers. However it is likely that in a minute you will walk into an area with better reception again. This constant on and off activity may be contributing to your battery drain. I find it beneficial to actually turn off my wifi until I am settled in a location that I will stay in for more than 5 minutes lol

Posted from CB10 using a Blackberry Z10
    I live in an office at the university.
    The observed drain applies to the old building and the new building that j spend time in - the latter definitely with good WiFi reception.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 12:22 AM
    Hold up, in all seriousness now, RADIUS protocols wouldn't/shouldn't drain the battery like this even if you had a 300 second call for auth. from my experience this is the case. I've also worked on spin builds of BlackBerry devices which use protocols for WLAN's that were more intensive [security-wise] than AAA-type management, and the battery drain wasn't significantly noticeable. My main point, I wouldn't point to the security method in this particular case...
    I'm not suggesting this is the most likely cause. My overall point was there is a big difference between WiFi at home and Enterprise WiFi. There are a lot of technologies in play with enterprise wireless which just don't appear in the home environment. Debugging which one is the problem isn't easy. If this power drain only occurs when connected to eduroam, and not home wireless, then the enterprise protocols (either in the 802.11 space or the 802.1X space) are possible avenues to investigate.
    07-17-13 02:15 AM
    Just throwing some ideas out there but maybe it isn't wifi related but time related. If for example you have you work email account configured with push email, during the day you maybe receiving lots of email keeping your wifi active. In the evening you don't receive so much email.
    07-17-13 02:30 AM
    Just throwing some ideas out there but maybe it isn't wifi related but time related. If for example you have you work email account configured with push email, during the day you maybe receiving lots of email keeping your wifi active. In the evening you don't receive so much email.
    My university email account via active synch is not responsible - the email load is not then issue. Also the drain is constant not "spiky".
    Plus, I can "resolve" then issue by switching wifi off...

On reception i can say that I get 2 out of 4 on my Z10 at university in the old building.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 04:06 AM