09-07-14 10:43 PM
28 12
tools
    If you don't want problems, do NOT restore settings from different branches of operating systems. Example: 10.2.1 backup.
    10.3.0 install, 10.2.1 restoring settings is a NO-NO.
    Not everyone will have issues. A lot will.
    App restores seem okay but check for updates.
    Media is usually ok to restore.

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1154
    3vilPeT3 likes this.
    09-07-14 01:35 AM
    Thanks boss, I don't restore, but many do.

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-07-14 01:36 AM
    I've always restored since I got my Z10 on release day, I'm now on the Z30 and have barley ever had a problem. So don't try to scare people away from restoring

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg, theonecid and schmeat like this.
    09-07-14 07:46 AM
    Restoring doesn't cause issues though, if the os the backup was made from isn't bad..

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1154 "the iPhone nemesis"
    09-07-14 07:49 AM
    If only we can choose what to restore te under settings.

Settings include:
    Contacts, emails, bookmarks, call logs, SMS, device settings.

Its tricky to back those up individually.

Posted via CB10
    bmoney1229 and jaydee5799 like this.
    09-07-14 08:42 AM
    I used to agree with the OP as I had serious issues with restoring settings to 10.1 from a 10.0 backup or 10.2 from 10.1, but on my first 10.3 install I restored settings from a 10.2.1 backup and had no issues at all.
    09-07-14 08:43 AM
    I've always restored since I got my Z10 on release day, I'm now on the Z30 and have barley ever had a problem. So don't try to scare people away from restoring

Posted via CB10
    Exact same here. My restores are mutations at this point, but they still work great.

I feel using an autoloader and restores MAY be an issue because if someone never installed leaks, they would receive nondestructive updates all the way from 10.0 to 10.3 with all their stuff in tact and no issues.

Who knows!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 09:01 AM
    I back up everything individually and restore everything individually. I've never had an issue with settings.

Posted via CB10 running on Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1154
    09-07-14 09:02 AM
    I've had the same experience as most everyone above.

Media settings is ALWAYS ok to restore, unless BlackBerry changes the device storage folder listings (and even then it might be ok, depending in how they do it).
    Apps are restored to their own section of the OS, and I can't imagine a change that would make restoring apps not work (at least not that doesn't include fundamental OS changes that would likely render most apps inoperable in general).

Settings, once in a blue moon, have some major changes that makes an old settings backup incompatible. I think I've had this happen once, maybe twice, in years.

I always restore my backups in full. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work, I wipe and try again. If it's still giving problems, I restore just media and apps and everything is fine.
    mainely_linux and LP_Rigg like this.
    09-07-14 11:10 AM

Media settings is ALWAYS ok to restore, unless BlackBerry changes the device storage folder listings (and even then it might be ok, depending in how they do it).
    Apps are restored to their own section of the OS, and I can't imagine a change that would make restoring apps not work (at least not that doesn't include fundamental OS changes that would likely render most apps inoperable in general).

Settings, once in a blue moon, have some major changes that makes an old settings backup incompatible. I think I've had this happen once, maybe twice, in years.

I always restore my backups in full. In the unlikely event that it doesn't work, I wipe and try again. If it's still giving problems, I restore just media and apps and everything is fine.
    True story. If possible, don't restore the settings!
    09-07-14 11:11 AM
    If you don't want problems, do NOT restore settings from different branches of operating systems. Example: 10.2.1 backup.
    10.3.0 install, 10.2.1 restoring settings is a NO-NO.
    Not everyone will have issues. A lot will.
    App restores seem okay but check for updates.
    Media is usually ok to restore.

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1154
    Yes. I learned the hard way. Z30 Verizon. Went from 10.2 to 10.3 and all BlackBerry ports and android apps from Snap didn't work when I restored.
    Siggestoon
    ?take screen shots of your apps and put them on your memory card
    ? save your contacts - I have had trouble with Link, suggest different contact saver
    ?place phone in airplane mode
    ? autoload
    ? security wipe, just in case
    ?reload your applications from your saved picture template
    ?reload contacts

This should save aggravation

STA-100-3 v 10.3.0.1154; Radio 1150
    09-07-14 11:31 AM
    That word should be "suggestion"

STA-100-3 v 10.3.0.1154; Radio 1150
    09-07-14 11:32 AM
    When you upgrade an OS, it has a built-in settings migration that modifies your settings and adjusts them for known variances between Old OS and New OS.

The problem is when you use destructive autoloaders. You wipe the settings and install the new OS at the same time. Then the migration sees nothing to migrate. Then you restore old settings that weren't migrated.
    Technically it should know what OS the settings came from and then do a migration using that information, but it doesn't.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    09-07-14 11:54 AM
    Restore? Where they do that at?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 12:04 PM
    Sacha, BB really could use you and Darcy on their payroll.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    red72 likes this.
    09-07-14 01:45 PM
    This thread should be stickied and bolded for all to see

Also, +1 BlackBerry needs to allow backup/restore of individual settings/files just like with OS 7. It's very frustrating that there's this obvious gap in the process. So frustrating that I don't even use BB link anymore. Everything is either cloud synced or saved to media card prior to OS upgrade

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 02:24 PM
    This thread should be stickied and bolded for all to see

Also, +1 BlackBerry needs to allow backup/restore of individual settings/files just like with OS 7. It's very frustrating that there's this obvious gap in the process. So frustrating that I don't even use BB link anymore. Everything is either cloud synced or saved to media card prior to OS upgrade

Posted via CB10
    Why would it be stickied when usually you can restore without any problems?
    habs_fan and mainely_linux like this.
    09-07-14 02:26 PM
    Haven't restored since 10.0
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    09-07-14 02:32 PM
    full backups allow you to PICK AND CHOOSE what to restore! where is the harm in that?
    09-07-14 02:37 PM
    I think every time you jump up into the next level of an OS that it drags a long of bad data from the the old one,
    09-07-14 03:18 PM
    The only problem I remember having with restoring settings was when the dark theme was added to contacts, calendar, etc. When I installed the first OS version that included this feature and restored settings from a backup that obviously didn't have the feature, major issues followed. Other than that I don't believe I've ever had issues restoring settings.
    09-07-14 06:16 PM
    I always backup n will try full restore, if it doesn't play nice (which I sometimes expect) I leave out settings.

Happened to me with the dark contacts feature when it first came out, as well as the quick settings. Other than that I've had same issues as ppl who started fresh.

Also I do have screenshots of where my apps belong, custom ringers etc in the case that I don't restore settings, as mentioned above, cuz well you never know lol

EDIT: I also used Darcy's Tools for S&G to convert 10.2.2 backup to 10.3

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.3.0.1154)
    Last edited by Robbenezer; 09-07-14 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    09-07-14 07:05 PM

I'm with you here, OP posts this kind of stuff a lot. I'm sure BlackBerry set up the backup and restore to not work in the event you need to restore, you better not do it because your phone will break.

I have a Z10 that I restored after installing 10.3 on, and the backup came from a Z30. No issues with it thus far, and I use it for web browsing and BBM occasionally.
    09-07-14 07:20 PM
    You're just paranoid; restore and move on.
    My backup is still the same since OS 6 or something. It might be 3+ gb in size right now, but it works loll.
    09-07-14 09:10 PM
    If you were not meant to restore BlackBerry would not have added the feature to link.
    All joking aside restore only moves over media, app data and user modified settings calendar and contacts. It doesn't wipe anything from your newly installed os per se.

The only time I ever had an issue was when I done 2 non destructive updates and restored. My media was shot. Other than that there isn't too much if an issue and even less if you have an sd card.

Posted via my Z10 (10.3.0.1154)
    09-07-14 10:11 PM
28 12