09-29-14 12:44 AM
761 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Google Play, related Google Services, and frameworks are not open source. They are copyrighted. That means that BlackBerry would have no right to use these things without Google's consent. If it is true that BlackBerry in fact has taken the extra step of circulating OS builds to carriers with Google Play installed, that would be a distribution of copyrighted material and that would not be done without Google's consent. So, if you are right, then there already is a deal between Google and BlackBerry...
    They could have a temporary agreement to test things out or maybe they don't need it at this stage and you only need a license when you make your products commercially available. Carriers are under NDA, those OS are not public.
    And afaik, it's the real app and services, no hack, but I haven't seen the files yet.
    R Field and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-13-13 08:14 AM
    Google play is good for BlackBerry 10 smartphones, but I hope Viber 4.1.0 fully works in official 10.2.1 IF Viber native did not come

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-13-13 08:18 AM
    I am waiting yor new leaked seems hard to believe ,, how berry leaks failed to get fruits for us
    Don't start that ish again. You should be raising h8ll with your carrier......about minimal OS releases.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 12-13-13 at 09:04 AM.
    LP_Rigg and toobs623 like this.
    12-13-13 08:48 AM
    If BlackBerry has gotten consent from Google to release the play store on BlackBerry devices it is truly the best move to become relevant in the consumer market and bury Windows Phone for good. People know Google and the play store that alone will get carriers and customers interested in BlackBerry again and possibly bring them back to have a decent market share. I know many people that would love my Z-10 if they had the Apps from there DROIDs and itoys.
    So when the Z50 is release with SG4 specs and has to compete against the SG5 with next gen specs. And BlackBerry being in business and not able to sell the device at "write down prices" has to sell it for $50 - $100 more than the SG5.

Other than a million or so superfans that already own every other BlackBerry devices.... who will buy it?

Yes the App Gap, which was a MAJOR reason not to buy a BB10 device will be gone.... but what about all the other reasons. Price, Hardware, Marketing, Carrier Support, Brand Perception.....
    12-13-13 09:04 AM
    They could have a temporary agreement to test things out or maybe they don't need it at this stage and you only need a license when you make your products commercially available. Carriers are under NDA, those OS are not public.
    And afaik, it's the real app and services, no hack, but I haven't seen the files yet.

The first stage is generally compliance with this - so for example, they would have to allow the android device manager control of the devices (in the next version of this document, where it says SHOULD, it will say MUST).
    12-13-13 09:38 AM
    So when the Z50 is release with SG4 specs and has to compete against the SG5 with next gen specs. And BlackBerry being in business and not able to sell the device at "write down prices" has to sell it for $50 - $100 more than the SG5.

Other than a million or so superfans that already own every other BlackBerry devices.... who will buy it?

Yes the App Gap, which was a MAJOR reason not to buy a BB10 device will be gone.... but what about all the other reasons. Price, Hardware, Marketing, Carrier Support, Brand Perception.....
    Everybody will compare the specs of the new BB10 than the SG5 it's sure but they don't know what the BB10 os not need full specs as SG5 or SG4 , yes the Q30 and Z50 will have superior specs than the Z10 Q10 Z30 Q5 but the OS do all. Just hope the futur spec will be really good for next os
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-13-13 09:40 AM
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    12-13-13 09:48 AM

Party pooper say, Party pooper say
    Ay, it’s a new day, it's a new day
    While they getting ready, everybody ready, yeah
    For a new day, for a new day
    Celebrate and say, ay, ay, ay, ay
    wincyUt likes this.
    12-13-13 10:34 AM
    I very much doubt all of those things.

Some of this is just common sense. If BlackBerry did not negotiate for itself the right to commercially sell this software, it makes no sense to have proceeded as far as it has with this project.

Also, it is no defense under copyright law that the sharing to carriers was done for testing purposes. That act would subject BlackBerry to liability.

I am not suggesting that BlackBerry might not still kill this. But, it would be a business decision to do it, not a legally required decision.

Posted via CB10
    ital1 likes this.
    12-13-13 10:34 AM
    im sorry all, but can you link me to this "snap app" ? i have no idea what this is.. what did i miss?
    12-13-13 10:36 AM
    im sorry all, but can you link me to this "snap app" ? i have no idea what this is.. what did i miss?
    It's a BB App to download and install Android .apks. You have to sideload it. Here's the article link (with its own forums link).

Snap for BlackBerry 10 offers quick Android APK downloads | CrackBerry.com
    ikalinin likes this.
    12-13-13 10:52 AM
    Ha Ha, I'm just gonna leave these here. How soon some choose to forget. SMH **walks away***

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-1-a-870951/

Leaked screenshots reveal Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10.2.1?
    12-13-13 10:56 AM
    Now that I think about it
    In order for us 'BlackBerrians' to support the Android devs we would have to download the apks directly from Google play, because downloading it from a third party app or page is not supporting them....
    In less words, we're not supporting them directly. BlackBerry and Google would have to agree to let Google play be installed on BlackBerry in order for us to be supportive

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-13-13 11:05 AM
    Is that without Snap? Interesting..

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-13-13 11:09 AM
    The question is will ALL Android apps work in official 10.2.1 , if you say Google play, because it's nice if all android apps work

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    12-13-13 11:15 AM
    The latest version of the Snap app will actually obtain a properly-registered ID for the device.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    Where is the latest version of the Snap App? I ventured into the leak world last night. Instagram works but other apps crash. Used amazon and 1mobile. Just trying to figure out how to get android apps on my phone without side loading. Thanks. I have Google Chrome extension for side loading but want to go direct without side loading.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 11:19 AM
    I very much doubt all of those things.

Some of this is just common sense. If BlackBerry did not negotiate for itself the right to commercially sell this software, it makes no sense to have proceeded as far as it has with this project.

Also, it is no defense under copyright law that the sharing to carriers was done for testing purposes. That act would subject BlackBerry to liability.

I am not suggesting that BlackBerry might not still kill this. But, it would be a business decision to do it, not a legally required decision.

Posted via CB10
    You keep talking about the legal aspect of this when no one has been able to prove any of this beyond hearsay. But the question really is, who has any proof that such an OS even exist?

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    12-13-13 11:20 AM
    Interesting thread, commenting for tracking purposes. Glad the train is back on track...

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 11:32 AM
    It's a BB App to download and install Android .apks. You have to sideload it. Here's the article link (with its own forums link).

Snap for BlackBerry 10 offers quick Android APK downloads | CrackBerry.com
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 11:33 AM
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    You're very welcome! Bigger thanks to James Paul Muir for making it!
    LP_Rigg and jamespaulmuir like this.
    12-13-13 11:40 AM
    What about a BlackBerry Play ?
    Just another source, trusted with tested APKs ...

oh, I did it again ...
    R Field, Omnitech and khehl like this.
    12-13-13 11:43 AM
    Google play is good for BlackBerry 10 smartphones, but I hope Viber 4.1.0 fully works in official 10.2.1 IF Viber native did not come

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    I didn't try Viber but Kik seemed to work great on 10.2.1.1055.

12-13-13 11:52 AM
    The question is will ALL Android apps work in official 10.2.1 , if you say Google play, because it's nice if all android apps work

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    At this point there may not be ANY device out there that can run "all" Android apps anymore. There are many, many "non-Google" devices that don't have access to the Play store and won't run anything that depends on Google services.

If Google allows GPlay and Play Services to run on BB10 then the phone would be able to run pretty close to everything current.

Superfly_FR and dragon1234 like this.
    12-13-13 11:56 AM

oh, I did it again ...
    I'm going to disagree with you on this, at least for now. From the looks of it there are already too many 2nd tier app stores out there.

The only way I could see this working would be BB striking a deal to re-brand an existing store.

12-13-13 11:59 AM

oh, I did it again ...
    Yeah, I wondered about that in the original thread weeks (?) ago. If BlackBerry were to reach out to developers for official permission and just created a mini Android store within BlackBerry World itself. Certainly, that would be the 'cleanest', but presumably they wouldn't be given full access to Google Play Services (and lose some functionality like signing into Google Maps).
    12-13-13 12:01 PM
761 ... 56789 ...