09-29-14 12:44 AM
761 ... 2728293031
tools
    It's not listed as a supported device because they haven't tested it. Doesn't mean it won't work. I've tried several other rooting programs, and kingo is the only one so far that recognizes the Q. It just gets an adb error, which there could very possibly be a way around. It's not that far of a stretch. The fact in itself that kingo recognizes the device is a positive sign.

Posted with CB10 via Q10 running 10.2.1.1259
    ADB is the Android debugging interface, which (among other things) lets you run Android apps with debugging control (stepping, etc) from your PC. I don't believe it's present at all on BB10 devices; at least I haven't found it thus far.
    01-02-14 07:49 AM
    [Speculation] Google play in 10.2.1.14XX-img_20140102_074936.png

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 07:49 AM
    ADB is the Android debugging interface, which (among other things) lets you run Android apps with debugging control (stepping, etc) from your PC. I don't believe it's present at all on BB10 devices; at least I haven't found it thus far.
    When you access the android os, there is a dev tools app which contains the usb debugging option, I have it turned on but it doesn't appear to be working thus far. I do have an idea, will report back if it works.

berryabusr88 likes this.
    01-02-14 07:57 AM
    So I guess no one has any further updates about Jan. 4th or whether or not Google play will be included in the next official update???? Sir Jes where ya at???? Legend???? Kris S???? Anyone???
    01-02-14 08:28 AM
    So I guess no one has any further updates about Jan. 4th or whether or not Google play will be included in the next official update???? Sir Jes where ya at???? Legend???? Kris S???? Anyone???
    You could just chill over the weekend and if it's there it's there :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-02-14 01:46 PM
    Have you read the title to this thread??? Ur acting as if I'm asking a crazy question. I'm just asking if there are any updates to what this thread is about...
    01-02-14 01:56 PM
    Someone has to have heard something regarding it...lol
    01-02-14 01:57 PM
    Currently I believe butterbean is working on a Kingo root which would fully unlock the android side of the device. Other than that everything is speculation and here say. Obviously there won't be gps/gfs in 10.2.1.14xx unless BlackBerry has a trick up there sleeve with the official release. It could be .14XX with the Google service. But again all speculations.

Posted via my STL100-4 Running 10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 03:24 PM
    Maybe I'm being too simplistic about this, but my thought is- the BlackBerry developers have sure gone to a lot of trouble getting the Android runtime built into the OS. They've implemented it, fine tuned it, gotten it more compatible with each release... obviously they feel it is worth their time and effort to do. So it makes me ask- why? For a cool trick to show your friends? Just so you can install third party app stores and play a few games? Or is this part of a grander design we just aren't aware of? I'm tempted to believe the latter, and therefore feel either BB World will start hosting select Android apps, or some 'legit' form of Google Play is coming. We can speculate till the cows come home, but I believe that BB World will simply expand. The BlackBerry world has always been hurt by limited app development- they just sidestepped the issue by letting every Android app developer have at a whole new market, with them as the gatekeepers. I think they will announce it, add a few dozen or more approved Android apps to BBW, and it'll blossom from there. Just my two cents

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:05 PM
    Well, if this thread won't be closed due to irrelevance at this point, can the thread title at least be changed so the reference to 14xx is gone?

We do, after all, have 1925 in hand, and still without Google Play. So, I think the question of "is14xx getting it?" has been thoroughly put to rest.

However, the question of "is any future 10.2.1 build going to get it?" may still be valid.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:24 PM
    this cockblock, who is doing the cockblocking? Blackberry right? So they are purposely not allowing hackers to install Play? I'm guessing they are afraid of getting sued by Google without a legal nod. Is that one way to read it?
    I have a suspicion that they are not concerned about their liability if you load it -- that's not under their control and they have no obligation to intentionally prevent it from working. Amazon certainly doesn't try to prevent people from doing it on the Kindles (and it does work, incidentally -- you have to root it first.) Never mind that I doubt very much Google cares; money is money, and if you spend it with them they like it.

On the other hand BlackBerry has every reason to not like the idea of you spending money on Play Store where you could spend it on BlackBerry World. And remember, Play offers more than just apps -- it also offers content, and so does BlackBerry. So if you want my guess (and that's all it is) this is a business thing, not a lawsuit thing.
    Thanks much for your knowledge and for sharing it, along with your opinions, in ways that are without condescension or arrogance, and more importantly, relatively easy to understand. It is like a breath of fresh air and I greatly appreciate it
    Omnitech likes this.
    01-02-14 04:25 PM
    I don't see how BlackBerry could be held legally responsible for the end user rooting and installing Google play. Point of reference: kindle tablets. Not Google certified. Can be rooted and Google services installed.

01-02-14 06:21 PM
    Its just weird to me that this thread has gone silent...lol so many people who seemed to have opinions on the topic and some were even listing dates and seemed to have info. But now as we approach those dates,...silence. Maybe that's good or maybe this will never happen. Imo I still feel in order for BlackBerry to succeed they need for this to happen. Just my opinion...
    01-02-14 07:28 PM
    It's all speculation, and once an opinion is expressed, do we really need 50 other people chiming in with the same opinion? Seems no one has anything new to add, so nothing is being said. And again, it's speculation, so we won't know if anyone is right until it actually DOES happen. So kick back, chill, and wait with the rest of us.

Pdinos3 and Omnitech like this.
    01-02-14 08:01 PM
    I am. But this sucks...guess I'll have to just watch my horrible NY Knicks, kick back, cross my fingers and wait it out...
    01-02-14 09:15 PM
    I am with the person who basically said that they went through alot of trouble to get the Android Player to work as nicely as it does. They did it for some greater goal. I believe that goal is exactly what was mentioned:
    1. BlackBerry World will host both Bar files and Apk files from developer (as it sort of does already today).
    2. The key difference, is that for a very very large majority of companies - they no longer have to do ANYTHING. They can simple send their Apk's to Google, Amazon, etc in their normal release. There are those that will continue to bake in Google Services - and when they do, they get broken for Amazon and Blackberry alike. Or, they can decide to make a version that does not take advantage of Google services.
    3. Over time - since the vast majority of companies will no longer have to do anything extra for BB except send their APK's to them - BB World will grow.

As BB continues to enhance their developer support - perhaps some of those will decide to make BB enhanced versions of their apps similar to Whine, Igrann, etc - that take advantage of BB10 OS functionality.

That is it.

BB will continue to enhance their Android Runtime to support Maps 2.0, etc.
    Unfortunately, this is not a knockem dead strategy like doing a deal with Google, but it is pretty good. Fact - Google does not need to, or care to help anyone other than Google. They will not lift a finger to help BB unless they extract a pound of flesh. I keep saying that BB would need to make Google the default search engine in BB10, they would have to kick our PayPal for Google Wallet, etc. Then maybe Google might say yes.
    Korepab likes this.
    01-02-14 10:03 PM
    Oh - and why Amazon did not buy Blackberry is beyond me. It was a real mistake that they did not when they had the chance. Amazon/Blackberry would have been a very strong contender to the other ecosystems out there. Consider Amazon content, Amazon Payments, Amazon switching the ridiculous Kindle Fire to Blackberry 10.2.1., Amazon Cloud Services, etc. It would have been perfect. And Amazon has the P/E multiple to make is a non-event. What a lost opportunity.
    Korepab and SteelGreek like this.
    01-02-14 10:07 PM
    I can see how each side wouldn't necessarily want the other to take something. If Google gives BlackBerry GSF and then BlackBerry still blocks gplay and has everyone sell through BBW then the only revenues Google will see will be from android app ads on BlackBerry. That's much less per user than if the users used android directly. BlackBerry doesn't want to lose BlackBerry World revenue to gplay either nor do they want people using a different ad framework.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know, but maybe handset revenue from people who want their GPay apps will outweigh the loss from a competing marketplace.
    01-03-14 12:09 AM
    Why would a BlackBerry Update come on a Saturday?? No that doesn't make sense.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo likes this.
    01-03-14 12:12 AM
    the BlackBerry developers have sure gone to a lot of trouble getting the Android runtime built into the OS. They've implemented it, fine tuned it, gotten it more compatible with each release... obviously they feel it is worth their time and effort to do. So it makes me ask- why? For a cool trick to show your friends? Just so you can install third party app stores and play a few games? Or is this part of a grander design we just aren't aware of?

Tens of thousands of apps in BlackBerry World already rely on the Android runtime to function. It was part of the strategy from the beginning in order to help quickly build a base of applications to use on a brand-new platform in a market where the major competition already had nearly one million apps in each of their own app stores.

Taking it out at this point would be business suicide - it would instantly destroy the ability for people to run a huge number of apps they likely already have on their device, including such "headline" apps as Skype, Slacker Radio, eBay, and so on.

It has already proven its value. Whether BlackBerry wants to further expand its capabilities is just icing on that cake.
    Georg Leitner1 likes this.
    01-03-14 03:43 AM
    Unfortunately, I'm not finding the gmail app to be better than BlackBerry native gmail support so far, mostly because of being unable to silence the notification, also if gmail is not left on active frame it does not notify at all until opened again, and I also have to keep my gmail account on the phone to keep my gmail contacts, so I may as well stick with this until a standalone email client is developed for bb10.

You never responded to the question below I asked you on 12/29 re: Gmail:

01-03-14 03:49 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140102_074936.png 
Views:	2877 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	235367

Posted via CB10
    It's because there's a mismatch of certificates with already installed components. Delete all Google components e.g. Google Login Services and Google Play Services, reboot and reinstall. You may want to use my pre-patched files.
    montberry and berryabusr88 like this.
    01-03-14 07:05 AM
    You never responded to the question below I asked you on 12/29 re: Gmail:
    Wasn't aware it required a response. Saw it. Wasn't interested.

01-03-14 09:28 AM
    It's because there's a mismatch of certificates with already installed components. Delete all Google components e.g. Google Login Services and Google Play Services, reboot and reinstall. You may want to use my pre-patched files.
    Thank you
    That was exactly the problem
    Now its working just Gmail app still crashing

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:47 AM
    Thank you
    That was exactly the problem
    Now its working just Gmail app still crashing

Posted via CB10
    Access android settings and click on your Google account and enable syncing for gmail. This should stop it from crashing.

LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    01-03-14 10:08 AM
761 ... 2728293031