09-29-14 12:44 AM
761 ... 2324252627 ...
tools
    GSF apk won't install. Play loads but minimizes.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:25 PM
    GSF APK won't install because it's not an installable APK. The way you put that on a device is to copy it to /system/app -- it lacks pieces of the manifest you need to install it.

I'll get into it and see if the stub is still there.... that's the gating factor because you cannot remove anything under the /system mount point, as it's write-protected and you can't root these devices.
    12-23-13 08:01 PM
    Update: It's still there.
    12-23-13 08:15 PM
    Update: It's still there.
    Does that mean fully functional gsf and gps is possible?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 08:22 PM
    No, it means the stub is still there as it was previously in the last leak.
    12-23-13 08:35 PM
    No, it means the stub is still there as it was previously in the last leak.
    what is a stub?
    12-23-13 08:39 PM
    what is a stub?
    A stub is a non-functional file that "dead ends" calls that would otherwise do things, in this case, the GSF framework.
    bpgc likes this.
    12-23-13 08:42 PM
    A stub is a non-functional file that "dead ends" calls that would otherwise do things, in this case, the GSF framework.
    just trying to put it into layman's term. so it's kinda like a bookmark? or a place holder for something? but right now that something doesn't work?
    12-23-13 08:56 PM
    just trying to put it into layman's term. so it's kinda like a bookmark? or a place holder for something? but right now that something doesn't work?
    In this case I suspect it's a bit more than that, as it also serves as a nice cockblock on attempts to get around the restriction. I have some things in my bag of tricks but I've also got toolchain issues with crafting a little codesnake, and so far I've not been able to resolve the latter. It's a low-effort thing for me right now that I hack on a bit when I have free time.
    bpgc likes this.
    12-23-13 09:22 PM
    In this case I suspect it's a bit more than that, as it also serves as a nice cockblock on attempts to get around the restriction. I have some things in my bag of tricks but I've also got toolchain issues with crafting a little codesnake, and so far I've not been able to resolve the latter. It's a low-effort thing for me right now that I hack on a bit when I have free time.
    this cockblock, who is doing the cockblocking? Blackberry right? So they are purposely not allowing hackers to install Play? I'm guessing they are afraid of getting sued by Google without a legal nod. Is that one way to read it?
    12-23-13 09:33 PM
    this cockblock, who is doing the cockblocking? Blackberry right? So they are purposely not allowing hackers to install Play? I'm guessing they are afraid of getting sued by Google without a legal nod. Is that one way to read it?
    I have a suspicion that they are not concerned about their liability if you load it -- that's not under their control and they have no obligation to intentionally prevent it from working. Amazon certainly doesn't try to prevent people from doing it on the Kindles (and it does work, incidentally -- you have to root it first.) Never mind that I doubt very much Google cares; money is money, and if you spend it with them they like it.

On the other hand BlackBerry has every reason to not like the idea of you spending money on Play Store where you could spend it on BlackBerry World. And remember, Play offers more than just apps -- it also offers content, and so does BlackBerry. So if you want my guess (and that's all it is) this is a business thing, not a lawsuit thing.
    12-23-13 09:39 PM
    I have a suspicion that they are not concerned about their liability if you load it -- that's not under their control and they have no obligation to intentionally prevent it from working. Amazon certainly doesn't try to prevent people from doing it on the Kindles (and it does work, incidentally -- you have to root it first.) Never mind that I doubt very much Google cares; money is money, and if you spend it with them they like it.

On the other hand BlackBerry has every reason to not like the idea of you spending money on Play Store where you could spend it on BlackBerry World. And remember, Play offers more than just apps -- it also offers content, and so does BlackBerry. So if you want my guess (and that's all it is) this is a business thing, not a lawsuit thing.
    Hmm... good point about amazon. I didn't know that.

As for content, apps and spending money on Play vs. BB world. I think Chen has to rethink alot of issues, he's rethinking the old strategy, I'm not sure how is thinking about monetizing media and content and competing with Google. On the conference call, he did vaguely mention bringing in partners for monetizing other aspects of the business.

IMHO, allowing Play would be a smash success in marketing. I mean without it, how are you going to sell the device to the Indonesians? Just price point? I'm not so sure about that. Blackberries were never cheap, and they sold well in Indonesia. People churned because they can't get their apps. I would say not many people even know you can OTA install android apps now. even then, its not 100% guaranteed that the apps will work. This is another receipt for disaster. "Here is cheap phone that kinda runs your apps".

I think apps is like content, it's long tailed. Especially in foreign countries where as a company selling devices, you have no idea what people of that country likes in terms of apps. Content is always localized. So you either get things to work 100%, or go home and don't compete in emerging markets. Because even if 99% of apps work, the 1% of apps that don't work will ruin your brand and before long, the word will get passed around "why buy a blackberry? it might work, why deal with the hassle? this android works 100% guaranteed".

My point is Blackberry is not in the game of competing with Google on monetizing content. IMHO, if they team up with Google Play, the "Jakarta" will sell well beyond anybody's most optimistic expectations. Meanwhile, refocus on enterprise, and comeback to consumer later with new innovations.
    12-23-13 10:03 PM

Not to mention, you crack that and what does that say about BlackBerry's security? A device managed to have a "root" per say? That wouldn't help their attempt on this enterprise take to survive at all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-23-13 10:16 PM
    There's quite a difference between loading something and rooting the device.

The latter I have no reason to believe will work.
    12-23-13 10:18 PM
    There's quite a difference between loading something and rooting the device.

The latter I have no reason to believe will work.

still your accessing the /system files which should be secure, as no one but BlackBerry Employees have access to the core framework

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020
    12-23-13 10:58 PM
    Well, yes, I'm sure you're absolutely right.....
    12-23-13 11:41 PM
    IMHO, allowing Play would be a smash success in marketing. I mean without it, how are you going to sell the device to the Indonesians?

Indonesia is already the most loyal customer base in the world for BlackBerry.

If that were solely predicated on having Google Play on BlackBerry devices, then BlackBerry wouldn't be as popular as it already is there.
    12-24-13 01:11 AM
    The Android runtime in 10.2.1.1925 is definitely better than it has been in the past. But, if Google's standard in permitting accessing to Google Services is COMPATIBILITY, it seems unlikely that BB10 would pass the required tests. There are still too many apps that don't work or don't work properly.

Perhaps this is something that BB continues to work on and some future BB10 revision might get right (10.3?).

But, the fact that there remains a substantial amount of incompatibility is enough to put this rumor to bed, IMO.

I have been using the Amazon app store, which is probably as safe as Play and also lets you purchase apps. The selection isn't as vast as Play, but for the most part it let me get the Apps I really want.
    12-24-13 08:04 AM
    play store doesn't minimize when using the right supporting apks and adding a google account to the BlackBerry Android runtime. it opens fine and you can access the play store settings, and it does find the connected google account. it just can't seem to get an internet connection. maybe becaise of the missing framework id. need to view the log, maybe the apk can be altered so it will access the missing framework using a different namespace. i'm experienced in apk smali bytecode hacking, so maybe i can help.

[Speculation] Google play in 10.2.1.14XX-img_20131226_010418.png (pic one says "no connection")
    [Speculation] Google play in 10.2.1.14XX-img_20131226_010454.png

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 07:10 PM
    play store doesn't minimize when using the right supporting apks and adding a google account to the BlackBerry Android runtime. it opens fine and you can access the play store settings, and it does find the connected google account. it just can't seem to get an internet connection. maybe becaise of the missing framework id. need to view the log, maybe the apk can be altered so it will access the missing framework using a different namespace. i'm experienced in apk smali bytecode hacking, so maybe i can help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131226_010418.png 
Views:	1879 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	233364 (pic one says "no connection")
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131226_010454.png 
Views:	1879 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	233365

Posted via CB10
    Well go on I've been trying to learn about smali a while now

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 07:44 PM
    With Snap already out there, is GP really gonna add anything for you other than a UI?
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-25-13 09:10 PM
    With Snap already out there, is GP really gonna add anything for you other than a UI?
    Nothing lol, I'm good with snap, it's forever going to be better than gplay

Posted via CB10
    Lendo and Omnitech like this.
    12-25-13 09:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    Cause it's native!

L wins the war
    SirJes and Lendo like this.
    12-25-13 09:38 PM

Among other things, I would personally greatly prefer keeping Google's tentacles as far away from my BlackBerry as humanly possible. (There are very specific and valid reasons I will never own a standard Android smartphone)

With Snap (in theory) we know exactly what data is being provided to 3rd parties and how/when.

If you install "black box" proprietary, closed-source frameworks provided by Google, you will likely never know exactly what is going on under the hood of that, what data is being collected and correlated and data+mined and shared, and it is subject to change at any moment and will probably do so regularly.

No thankyou very much. I'll take Snap please.
    Lendo and SirJes like this.
    12-25-13 10:08 PM
    The Android runtime in 10.2.1.1925 is definitely better than it has been in the past. But, if Google's standard in permitting accessing to Google Services is COMPATIBILITY, it seems unlikely that BB10 would pass the required tests. There are still too many apps that don't work or don't work properly.

Perhaps this is something that BB continues to work on and some future BB10 revision might get right (10.3?).

But, the fact that there remains a substantial amount of incompatibility is enough to put this rumor to bed, IMO.

I have been using the Amazon app store, which is probably as safe as Play and also lets you purchase apps. The selection isn't as vast as Play, but for the most part it let me get the Apps I really want.
    But many apps don't run precisely because they lack access to Play Services. So it doesn't make sense to say BlackBerry's Android runtime is incompatible because many apps don't work.

Clearly Google doesn't base "compatibility" on whether an Android runtime can execute apps that require Play Services (since they won't even give you access to Play Services until AFTER you've proven your runtime is compatible). If they did, it would be an impossible catch 22 (e.g.: you must be compatible to get Play Services, but you must have Play Services to be compatible...)

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    12-26-13 01:08 AM
761 ... 2324252627 ...